Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OK, this is great, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm in the first night and slightly confused. Is there a visual tell when a dude is a robber? I've seen several fights, and would like to help the townfolk and steal stuff. Also, several NPCs have suggested I could pick herbs to earn money. Is this something I can only do later? Because I ran around the steppe for ingame hours and found nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

They use similar models - the guys in white makeup are always going to fight you, for instance. They also generally mutter at you first.

youcallthatatwist posted:

which game are you playing? first or second? In the first game all the robbers have their own model, with the random street fights being a unique first-day event. In both games the herbs only appear from the second day onward.
as a side note it's always worth it to patronize the arts and drop by the theater after midnight each night! and in the sequel your map gets a helpful tip

Thank you. I suppose I can use the cupboard next to the couch as a store? At least for a time?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OK, still a few questions: Is there any reason not to stab the bandits at night? Since one of the encounters got me the death tutorial I feel a lot less blase about fumbling around with my fists. Also there is that one guy who tries to pressure sell me a pistol. Should I go for it?
Finally, is there a reason to keep a second scalpel around or can you safely sell those?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Heh, great hand in real estate. Did I do anything to trigger the plague? The judge gave me a letter to deliver to a boarded up building if I want to keep my house. Which did lose quite a bit of value over night apparently.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Do you mean in gameplay or in story?

In gameplay: No, the plague always hits on the same day no matter what you did.

In story (later game spoiler): No, the plague was already there before you even arrived in town. Nothing you do could have prevented it.

Was thinking in gameplay terms. Because the timing was slightly weird. Though there is a certain humor in getting a stay of execution on your house under the condition you deliver a letter past the plague barrier into a boarded up house to a dead minor official within 24 hours.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's also extremely funny to me that we could save so many people if we could just find a bicycle for the doc.
Edit: Also for everyone starting out: Try to get basic sewing supplies early and go full hobodoc. I didn't check the garbage binds for most of the first day and regret it deeply.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 16, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ilitarist posted:

This is one of the cultural things that makes this game problematic for the Western audience, I don't think anyone East of Warsaw ever needed any hints to check bins.

I don't think any RPG player needs hints to dig in the thrash. But for some reason you have a key to highlight NPCs that will talk to you, quests and quest connected containers, but not normal containers and it took me a bit to notice.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, a knife bandit on day 2. How do you deal with that? Just run away Buy the gun Entirely unrelated: How often can you die until it really hurts?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, I'm done with a playthrough and I think we have established that I'm bad at video games. I didn't find Taya until day 10 and basically missed the whole story with the kin. I could have sworn I looked at every door on all the levels, but apparently not. Also I thought I needed an army coat for the third level of inventory upgrade. So much unnecessary hassle.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

are you planning on doing another playthrough? what ending did you choose?

I think I'll go for another round once my new PC arrives. There seem to be a lot of character interactions I missed the first time. I blew the polyhedron up. Mostly because it felt like doing something.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I have to admit that I started before we had local cases. And since causes have to precede effects....
Good work on the immersion though!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pathos posted:

Someone should change the thread title to indicate that the game is now real life and we're all Artemy

Nah, I'm clearly Dankovsky. Highly educated and utterly useless.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nah, you're not enough of an rear end in a top hat to be Danny.

gently caress you.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finished a second run through, because it feels appropriate. Can someone fill me in on what Rubin was doing? That is probably the only quest I never got around to doing. The second ending is pretty haunting, but overall I wouldn't really recommend a full second run. Too many of the mechanisms that added to the oppressive atmosphere the first time are just tedious the second.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can stash items in any of the named characters houses and it will stick around, although you will get your own storage pretty soon anyway.

At least in the stash right next to the sleeping place. Don't store things in the food cupboard in the Shelter. Though I never tried it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Verviticus posted:

the building inspection quest has a couple choices

basically if you look for the buildings you get a fakeout that has a guy boarded in a room upstairs because he has a flu - you can simply sneak past the guys in the lobby. you can choose to condemn this house. then theres another building that 'deathly quiet' and it has a plague room. then you can condemn it or not condemn it because a woman asks you not to. finally, maria is condemning a third house because she doesnt like how it looks and you can tell on her, and these all have thought bubbles. the maria ones are the guns and shackles right beside this screenshot

i think rubin escapes and you next see him asleep. maybe that bubble is if you let him die? i do not know what the gap to the right of hte udurgh's ear is. i think it might be if you ignore it

Wtf, I'm sorry flu guy.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Verviticus posted:

cowards way out. besides, you can take odongh livers and nobody gives a poo poo

I never really found a use for healthy organs.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

you can use them to brew painkillers. Although I never really needed to do that either.

Oh, I know about the possible uses, but at least for me the base tinctures were much scarcer than anything you could brew out of them.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

FalconImpala posted:

Minor complaint...
I'm on Day 5 where Rubin is surrounded by worm people, and I have to fight all of them. No deaths up to that point - then I died 3 times in a row, and 10 hours of fear & tension couldn't have deflated faster :(. Combat is not great in this game, I have no weapons, and there's no way out of this scenario except combat. Walkthroughs say to glitch their AI by running away, which deflated the tension more lol. But even running got me stuck in a punch loop, and my health goes from 90 to 0 in half of a second. I'm more upset by the death punishments than anything else. This area has to be an oversight.
It sucks my only way forward is to break the ai, quickly load saves etc. That's not unusual for games though, so I guess it's a testament to how immersed I was before.

You don't have weapons?
Edit: But also, there are very few things you actually HAVE to do.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 18, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For that specific encounter: You simply have to avoid going to meet Rubin at all. Take Bad Grief's advice and just leave him alone and he will be fine. The worms will only find him by following you. If you don't lead them to him, you'll never have to fight them.

But you'll also never learn what he was doing, so you do kinda lose out here.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Kind of want to go back and replay it and see if I can spare more/different people but also the game was like 25-30 hours long and I kind of cannot be arsed. Wonder how long it is if you whack everything on easy and just play directly through the story rather than worrying about survival?

If you want to do a run with a resource surplus you can just quaff all the twyre(sp?)to see where the caches are and then reload.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I played nearly half the game before I realized that there is sneaking in the game. You can all laugh at me.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, pretty sure night one is herbless.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Corte posted:

Any general tips would be appreciated, don't want to spoil story stuff but like little tricks regarding mechanics I wouldn't mind knowing such as:
- Do the children's rules apply to caches before the game starts and after they leave?

Already wrapped up Day 1 and felt like I finished much stronger this time around, there were moments when I had time on my hands and just wandered looking through bins Hobocop style or finding kids to trade with.

I'm not sure the rules do anything to be honest. You can figure out which of the caches is loaded by drinking the aclcohol/tincture whatever it was called. One of the more cost effective ways to get food is to buy nuts and trade with the kids for better stuff

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

any tips for a new player for the first few days. I'm assuming I should basically be swindling every child I can as fast as possible?

Yeah. Kids love nuts and nuts are compareably cheap. Also there is a sneak button the game doesn't tell you about.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

robbing houses and especially killing muggers (both for their loot and their organs) is the best way to make money early on

I always found the extra way to the organ shop to be too much of a hassle.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

I broke into houses left and right to stab freaks to death and often times it wound up with me just having more plague and less food, so I guess their intentions worked out. The best moment I had early on was when I saw a cop beat a looter to death and I walked up to cut his heart out to sell it to the organ donor and the cop instantly blew my brains out when I clicked on the surgery button. There's nothing like Pathologic

Trust me I'm a doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bought the thing so they can eat for another year.