Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Your addition's off. The job fair total is $14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Goons, help! I'm at the finish line of my run, facing down Neo Exdeath and have hit a solid wall. This is my first time through the game, so it's been a blast and I've tried to mostly play it blind (although I did use a walkthrough to find the Phantom Village and to figure out the best equipment for my classes)

My classes are: Thief, Red Mage, Ranger, Dancer. All around level 40. I did most of the endgame quests even though I couldn't use most of the rewards.

My strategy through most of the endgame has relied on my Dancer's Sword Dance with a maxed out Chicken Knife, with everyone else as support. As soon as Neo Exdeath comes out I immediately kill one of his forms with the Magic Lamp and Odin. Then while Sword Dance hits Neo Exdeath for 9999 damage, even if I get it to proc three or four times on the Dragon Head Almagest section, there's no way I've been able to do enough damage to it kill it before it casts Almagest. Almagest wipes my party, and I haven't found a combination of equipment yet that'll get even one guy to survive it.

I need to either find a way to make one of the other three make up the other 20,000 damage or so before Almagest is first cast, or find a way to survive it once, and that's assuming there aren't any other nasty surprises waiting.

With time running out for the fiesta, is my only option to grind like crazy? Or is there some tactical wizardry that may give me a chance?

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 28, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Miles McCloud posted:

Goons, help! I'm at the finish line of my run, facing down Neo Exdeath and have hit a solid wall. This is my first time through the game, so it's been a blast and I've tried to mostly play it blind (although I did use a walkthrough to find the Phantom Village and to figure out the best equipment for my classes)

My classes are: Thief, Red Mage, Ranger, Dancer. All around level 40. I did most of the endgame quests even though I couldn't use most of the rewards.

My strategy through most of the endgame has relied on my Dancer's Sword Dance with a maxed out Chicken Knife, with everyone else as support. As soon as Neo Exdeath comes out I immediately kill one of his forms with the Magic Lamp and Odin. Then while Sword Dance hits Neo Exdeath for 9999 damage, even if I get it to proc three or four times on the Dragon Head Almagest section, there's no way I've been able to do enough damage to it kill it before it casts Almagest. Almagest wipes my party, and I haven't found a combination of equipment yet that'll get even one guy to survive it.

I need to either find a way to make one of the other three make up the other 20,000 damage or so before Almagest is first cast, or find a way to survive it once, and that's assuming there aren't any other nasty surprises waiting.

With time running out for the fiesta, is my only option to grind like crazy? Or is there some tactical wizardry that may give me a chance?

You'll want to rely more Ranger's Rapidfire rather than Dance, you'll have to deal with RNG targeting but will reliably deal more damage overall.

Fork Tower has the Wonder Rod, which cycles through all white and black magic when swung. Pushing it to Shell before fighting NED will let someone survive Almagest. If they have Dualcast on, you can then have them raise two people at once.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

That's a somewhat difficult party and I admire your perseverance on this first run through. Personally, in that situation I would grind out to level 43 to 47ish if you have the ability to speed up battles on your platform. The Ronka/Lonka Ruins in the Void Rift are an easy place to do this, and there is a nearby pot you can drink from to restore HP/MP. I like this strategy because I am a lazy scrub that would rather try and tank an Almagest with 1-2 party members than worry about optimal decisions. A tactical wizard could most likely make it work at lvl 40 with your setup but it could take a few tries. My two-bit advice that cribs heavily from https://enkibot.herokuapp.com/hints/ is:

- Red Mage Doublecast can be useful but it's another terrible grind at 999 ABP. You can use it to double-raise people (assuming the low-hp red mage can survive an almagest).
- Ranger Rapidfire/X-Fight (final Ranger ability) is an excellent source of damage if you happen to have the job ABP maxed out. If you use Rapidfire with a chicken knife, I imagine it would exceed 9999 damage over 4 hits? You can't target but it doesn't really matter as long as you are dealing damage.
- Thief isn't going to help much at all, I guess thief can have !Red to help heal? or Dance to hope for sword dance?
- Dancer is doing great if you can hit 9999 damage but you might end up using a different dagger if Rapidfire/X-Fight is more than 9999. Low HP on dancer means very susceptible to big damage spells, so once again use Shell to try and mitigate damage. You can equip the ribbon as a helm if you want to avoid status effect impairments, or just don't worry about it and cure the status ailments. Sword dance with the Assassin's Dagger would still probably do some decent damage.
- Dealing damage is going to be your main concern, but you'll have to weather multiple big enemy spells so make sure you can heal and raise your party fast enough that you can keep the momentum going in your favor. 4 hermes sandals (aka running shoes) is a must for me.

## Neo Ex Cactuar
* Image guide: http://i.imgur.com/FphWf.gif
* High level strategy overview follows:
* Biggest threats are: Grand Cross (random aliments), Almagest (1620-1665 holy damage + sap), enrage (last part spams super attacks 2x/turn)
* Grand Cross is mitigatable with Hermes Sandals and luck. Most parties will kill Grand Cross first to lower the number of dice rolls.
* Almagest is a HP check. Unless you have extreme damage output and rush it first, you will need the HP (or Shell) to survive it.
* You can skip enrage either by counting HP and killing the last 2 parts at the same time...
* ...or you can save the bottom, non-Heavy part for last and then gib it with a Magic Lamp Odin.
* Even without !white, you get one free Shell casting from the Wonder Wand, if you have it.
* [DNC] You'll probably have to look elsewhere for damage, but Equip Ribbons make Grand Cross a nonissue.
* [DNC] That said, the Man-Eater deals critical damage to the left-most piece (the one that casts magic and is killed by Odin).
* [THF] Remember that weapons you steal off of NED's parts can be equipped mid-battle.
* [RAN] Were you dumb enough to grind out a Dark Bow in Ronka, or bought one in Bal? Congratulations!
* [RAN] The Melee piece (the one that chucks out 1800 damage Vacuum Waves) can be blinded!
* [RAN] NED's phantom targets will make !X-Fight less powerful on the SNES version, though.
* [RDM] At least you can put up Protects...?
* [RDM] Raise+Cura isn't the *worst* use of their time, though you're probably better off just breaking rods for middling damage.
* [RDM] Hopefully you have another class that can use Dualcast and can pick up the slack.

Asimov fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 28, 2019

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
What BisbyWorl said, except I'd go with Sword Dances against the Almagest part and then swich to Rapidfire (unless you're on the SNES version in which case rapidfire sucks against NED).

I assume everyone is wearing Herms Sandals (or Running Shoes, depending on the translation) and that the Dancer is wearing Rainbow Dress? Note that this is 100% key here. If your dancer is not wearing both of those now and you fix that, your current tactic will 100% work.

Also, you can learn !dance and put it on more than one character and equip the Aegis Shield for a small chance to block Almagest.

Snipe Edit RE: Asimov - RM can't cast Shell, or they would be legit useful. Dualcast Life is the best thing they can do vs Exdeath so if you're gonna Wonder Wand Shell on someone, make it the Red Mage right before Almagest hits to lower the risk of a Dispel hitting.

It might also be a thing to put the chicken knife on the thief with !mug and give the dancer the Man Eater. I don't know how much damage the man eater dance will do against NED at lvl 40 so I can't guarantee it'll be worth it, but it might be.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Thanks so much! Made it through.

The kicker was using the Wonder Wand to get a Shell on my Red Mage so she'd survive the Almagest. I had no idea Wonder Wand cycled through a set list like the Magic Lamp. Once I got through that it wasn't hard at all to get everybody up and going again, since I had two Doublecast users. Once it was down to two forms left it was as simple as casting Libra a bunch to make sure I wore them down evenly. Dancer did all the hard work but Thief with "Equip Bows" and Yoichi's Bow helped out too.

Not going to try the optional bosses, maybe next year. Thanks again, definitely going to make a donation in the morning.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Miles McCloud posted:

Thanks so much! Made it through.

The kicker was using the Wonder Wand to get a Shell on my Red Mage so she'd survive the Almagest. I had no idea Wonder Wand cycled through a set list like the Magic Lamp. Once I got through that it wasn't hard at all to get everybody up and going again, since I had two Doublecast users. Once it was down to two forms left it was as simple as casting Libra a bunch to make sure I wore them down evenly. Dancer did all the hard work but Thief with "Equip Bows" and Yoichi's Bow helped out too.

Not going to try the optional bosses, maybe next year. Thanks again, definitely going to make a donation in the morning.

Nicely done. You'd probably be able to handle Shinryu with Berserk from the Wonder Wand, but Omega is just not happening with that team.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
If you have ranger you can do Omega, but it's not pretty. X-fight chicken knife can do some serious damage, but you need to survive a ton of double counters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

:homebrew:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Run #8: Berserker / Mime / Black Mage / White Mage

Unsurprisingly, this was a pretty breezy run. The most surprising thing was that I actually used !Mimic a good bit, especially early on when I didn't have everyone leveled up in Black Magic so I had to rely on it to do the statue grind with two casts of Thundaga. It was weird planning everyone's agility so that the Mime would go right after the Black Mage (and having to wait for the Berserker to go so I wouldn't Mimic them!).

Best part was probably Reflecting Death spells onto Necrophobe's Barriers, which was surprisingly effective!

Considering last year I set a record number of completed runs with a whopping two, doing eight runs this year is kinda surreal, but I had a great time throughout and I hope I can do at least that many again next year!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Made it to the Merged World :toot: gonna eat dinner then see if I can rush through and finish this before the end of the fiesta tomorrow!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Close enough to the end, so I'm calling my :toxx: pretty much done, if anyone was planning on completing a duplicate job run before the end of the season, sorry!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wasn't sure my double Berserker run counted since it was before you announced your Toxx. Hardly going to begrudge you for not noticing, since it did get counted for the toxx I risked for.

Somewhat disappointed no one finished my No Krile pledge. Maybe it's harder in practice than it sounds in theory. I'll probably double the payout for it next year since I like the idea and am curious what strategies would be used for it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I probably could've gone hunting for runs that did it before I announced my toxx, but :effort:

I do have an idea for a toxx next year though, so I can propose that one before things actually kick off next year instead of after several people have already done a run or two (or several).

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
got around to finishing the relaxing #winner blue/time/sum/white

triple crown, not a moment too soon

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Some Guy TT posted:

Wasn't sure my double Berserker run counted since it was before you announced your Toxx. Hardly going to begrudge you for not noticing, since it did get counted for the toxx I risked for.
It's for charity, don't worry about it.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Finished my last run of the event, White/Samurai/Bard/Mime.

Something I learned is if you have a mime use Mimic to start singing a stat buff song, the mime will continue singing but you wont get the buff. Had a mime Mimic the +levels song and with regen on the regen never increased, which it should.

But if the mime equips the sing ability and uses the skill from there it works fine.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Heh, screwed up my float+reflect ring strat for the crystals and had to set up the fire crystal's hp just above the threshold, then rig a counter->second monk attack->sword dance proc off the dancing dagger combo in order to kill it. Then I got 2 ash drops. :v: Also the earth crystal never even got an attack off in rage mode, so, uh, so much for float.

This, this is peak fiesta.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Just under the wire I rushed through the last world of my own Randomizer :toxx:! I didn't have time to do Omega but it was very possible and I probably could've done it if I literally had like another day. The run was kind of boring this time, here's my list (Mild, which I think I might require next year?):

Knight (2nd and 4th)
-- Default: !Steal
-- Skill 0: 15 Sprint
-- Skill 1: 40 !Summon 2
-- Skill 2: 95 Shirahadori
-- Skill 3: 150 !Summon 4
-- Skill 4: 360 !Black 6
Ninja (1st job)
-- Default: !Hide
-- Skill 0: 10 HP +10%
-- Skill 1: 75 !Time 2
-- Skill 2: 110 Equip Katana
-- Skill 3: 180 HP +30%
-- Skill 4: 290 Equip Shield
Samurai (3rd job)
-- Default: !Scan
-- Skill 0: 15 Pharmacology
-- Skill 1: 40 !White 3
-- Skill 2: 80 !Black 4
-- Skill 3: 200 !White 5
-- Skill 4: 370 !Summon 5

As you can see, I had good defense, offense, speed, summons, and magic. The end game basically boiled down to abusing initiative and boosted Syldra. !Time2 meant I could Slow and Haste which was great especially before World 3. !Steal meant I could get Twin Lances for my Ninja before Drakenvale for fun! I even had no flees up until today and picked Chicken Knife anyway.

Oh, like last year, here's my random menu color (R2, G9, B0, yikes btw):

And here's the screens:

I'm planning on making one last post. We'll see!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I started late this season and just ran out of time on the way to the first tablet. It was my second serious attempt at the fiesta, and maybe third serious attempt at completing FFV (which I've yet to do). I didn't really take advantage of my chemists, but it was fun to have 3/4 of my party healing to full with blue mage's vampire on GBA.

Maybe next year will be my year to actually finish this game…

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

As of right now, the Fiesta is just $416 from breaking the $15k goal.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:toxx:
I will donate one cent for every broken rod (as tracked on the Discord!) and 10 cents for every speed trap fallen for, also tracked on the Discord. I will limit this donation to $60 unless I hit a windfall before the Fiesta ends.
:toxx:

Last year I didn't pay attention to the end date and almost couldn't make this donation :ohdear:

There were only 72 speed trap victims and 2,274 rods broken this year. Ya'll need to step it up next year! As punishment, I just donated the $60 anyway.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well that was fun. I just had to kill my zerker by dropping a phoenix down on him, because even mini'ed he kept breaking confusion on the stingray I was trying to get mighty guard from.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Just in time!

First ever playthrough complete :toot: thanks for the advice yall, took me a couple of tries against NED but nailed it in the end at level 41.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Just in time!

First ever playthrough complete :toot: thanks for the advice yall, took me a couple of tries against NED but nailed it in the end at level 41.

:v::hf::v: sup last-second buddy

Only one run this year :( Still as fun as I remembered, just a rough summer.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well I beat Shinryu and I am sure I can take Exdeath, but I don't know that I have time to beat my head against Omega with Berserk/White Mage/Summoner/Blue Mage.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Goal reached! Happy fiesta everybody! :toot:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't complete a run this year, sadly :(

I'll try to finish it by next year's start, though.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Sneaking an Extra Spicy run on the last day :toot:

As my first run was effectively a no750 run (Monk/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai), I did a Random 750 run (Black/Blue/Summoner/Dancer). This was a pretty interesting Extra Spicy run, you can see the details of my team here. I'll summarize the interesting bits:
  • Bartz ended up being a physical job due to having no magic abilities as the baseline (he had Rapidfire, Mug, Jump and Control as his secondaries.) He ended up as a Blue Mage for the first two thirds of the game, using the Sleep and Ancient blade to land statuses. The rest of the game had him Rapidfiring the Chicken Knife, followed by Spellblade for the final battle to land Break.
  • Lenna was in a unique position dabbling as a Black Mage or Summoner with Equip Katana for most of the game. I leveraged that to have her swing Wind Slashes with the Wind Slash katana, then eventually specialized in pure magic for the endgame as a Blue Mage with Summon 5.
  • Galuf/Krile and Faris ended up not having exciting skill trees, all the decent skills were on the later end so they just got stuck in whatever job had useful skills. Faris in particular had *really* bad skill trees, the most useful skill she had was Summon 4. (Note that I'm ignoring Mix because it's stupidly broken and I only use it for Omega and Shinryu.)
  • Due to their anemic skill trees, Galuf/Krile ended up as a Summoner with a major in Black and a minor in Time, which made them good support with access to haste. Meanwhile, Faris ended up being the Dancer for most of the game as most of the Dancer skill trees were bad (Galuf was the only decent one with White 5) and she had the most useful secondary as a Dancer (Animals). She did occasionally substitute in as a Black Mage with White magic for boss fights. For the endgame Krile was a Summoner with Black and White 5 and Faris was a Black Mage with White and Summon 4.
  • This team definitely could have defeated the superbosses, but I didn't want to spend more time on it so I finished the run as quickly as possible, ignoring Fork Tower and even skipping Necrophobe and saving Gilgamesh!

This Extra Spicy run felt a lot different from my previous runs. In the old runs I struggled a lot with planning skill progression and making sure everyone had the right skills available at each point of the game, while as in this run I mostly stuck with the base skills and relied on a small number of learned skills for most of the game. The takeaways I took from this run is that most Equip Skills aren't that exciting and should get lowered in the trees, as having them available earlier makes the midgame more interesting, so I'll end up updating the randomizer with that in mind!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There were only 72 speed trap victims and 2,274 rods broken this year. Ya'll need to step it up next year! As punishment, I just donated the $60 anyway.

Same. :hfive:

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I had a lot of runs this year where I either didn't need to break rods or I just flat out couldn't.

I did however fall in the speed trap twice and forgot to bot it in the discord so consider a fraction of that extra to be on my head.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hell yeah, charity Goons.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Hope it's not too late, but I just donated another $10 to meet my donation clause that I'd send another $10 if I don't finish.

Only got to fire crystal when Bloodstained and Shadowbringers came out. rip.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That was a fun fiesta. Ended up doing 6 runs but due to a ton of stuff coming up, I didn't really play much in August. I don't feel burnt out so I'll be ready to go for next year!

Literally got a Geomancer in every run where it was possible - the only two without it were my 4x Black Mage job fair run and a No750 run. Geomancer good.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I had a good time learning and running this game. I'll keep this thread starred and the discord channel running in the background to hopefully catch next year's Fiesta.

I can't believe how friendly everyone here was to someone who was totally new at the game. It's one of the most positive communities I've come across in gaming and I want to say one last thanks to everyone here for making this so much fun!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Azza Bamboo posted:

I had a good time learning and running this game. I'll keep this thread starred and the discord channel running in the background to hopefully catch next year's Fiesta.

I can't believe how friendly everyone here was to someone who was totally new at the game. It's one of the most positive communities I've come across in gaming and I want to say one last thanks to everyone here for making this so much fun!

Very :3:

I hope I can actually play the game next year and then be in your shoes.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1169849825514246144
For fans of graphs and numbers

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Can Of Worms posted:

My Randomizer :toxx:
Counted, and also great to hear about an update! This year my :toxx: was by far more popular than any other year's!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Crud, I kept a list, too, and just forgot to sign into Discord. That's okay, it wasn't much. In fact, I wrote down, "7 rods time mages in karnak 750, 1 rod hey turns out it turns motor trap to (crew) dust and DOESN'T trigger a self-destruct."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Do we need to increase number or runs or rod usage? How many rods would it take if you killed every boss using rods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Somebody did SEVENTY-FOUR RUNS?