Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Edit: Since it's come up a couple times, I want to add that there's no requirement to do this in only five runs. I just did that because I didn't want to play more than I did.

Bruceski posted:

That's why the Fiesta survives. All the classes are good.

There are no bad jobs, but there are some teams that don't really come together.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 31, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Poque posted:

Does this need to be done in five runs?

This would combine very well with my toxx as well - combine your Knights and Geomancers!

No, although more than five runs is quite a bit of FFV for one season.

But with the job fair, there's no need to take more than five runs to do both.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ritznit posted:

Thank you very much for the responses. Seems I should worry less, then.

Does the game make job synergies obvious or is that something I should peruse a guide for?

There are very few situations where you'd need to check a guide. If you just play normally and ask for help when you get stuck, you'll be fine.

Poque posted:

Unless there's a new fun run type, I plan on doing a 750 Berserker Risk for my pre-registration. It's a great combo, as you're guaranteed the Zerk in the water slot with a guaranteed good supporting mage class from wind. I've found it a really fun way to start off the summer.

My second run last year was Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Chemist. It was a little bit of a slog at times, but Equip Axes is a great secondary for the casters, and the endgame...well, a Berserker with a high magic stat and the Gaia Hammer is pretty much an engine of destruction, but if you bump them up to level 255 and give them haste, it's pretty magical. Shame there aren't more fights where it's worth setting up something like that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

...in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here....

This got 404'd.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

The worst no-modifiers FJF team (so one job from each crystal) is pretty universally felt to be Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. Not only is there essentially no synergy, but all four jobs are incredibly ineffectual, and three of the four are made of sugarglass on top of that.

The only potential swap would be Berserker in Red Mage's spot; it's a choice you have to make between "as bad as un-boosted freelancer in pretty much every stat" versus "literally cannot be controlled".

Monk's not that bad as long as you keep their levels high enough. They just have a bad reputation because people want to rush through Fiesta runs.

Monk/Dancer is a rough combo, though. The Monk needs levels, so you have to fight random encounters, but the Dancer needs a maxed out Chicken Knife, so you're going to have to do a lot of running. You can end up needing to do a lot of grinding at the end for that one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This seems like a good plan. In case you're curious, here's how I did it:
  1. Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Dragoon. This was a very good team and one of the most enjoyable runs I've ever had. Hi-Potions in world 1 is great, Beastmaster shenanigans really help in world 2, and the triple crown is in reach with a bit of luck.
  2. Black Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Chemist. The start was a little rough, but Equip Axes is great for physicals, and Mix is broken. NED never knew what hit him.
  3. Knight/White Mage/Red Mage/Ninja. Another easy run. Throw is a great skill for a Red Mage, and staff-boosted dualcast Holy with a Golden Hairpin is pretty ridiculous. The highlight of my year was knocking out Necrophobia before he got down below 10000 hp and skipping the Gilgamesh scene.
  4. Monk/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Samuria. I had to grind levels for the Soul Cannon, but other than that this run was fine. Focus is a great secondary for physical jobs, but Rapid Fire definitely replaces it.
  5. Blue Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Dancer. :getin:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Eh. Grinding out Dualcast sucks for sure, but it's a great skill once you have it. It's against the rules, but going through the Phoenix Tower and making everyone a Red Mage for the Magic Jar fights helps a lot.

Also, for those of you who are planning runs, I'd recommend thinking about how you're going to get past world 2 Exdeath as well as the late game. That's a tough fight and you don't have superpowers yet.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Shyfted One posted:

Does it have to be over 5 runs with no duplicates? If not I'll probably do a couple chaos/random runs and then I could just start making teams of classes I haven't gotten through no750/750 runs with job fair to finish it out.

No limit. Just keep in mind that more than five runs is a lot of FFV.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I wasn't able to beat Omega on my run two years ago with Red Mage White Mage Chemist and Geomancer, seems like. Couldn't find a way to do reasonable amounts of damage or survive super well. Here's hoping for a successful triple crown this year.

Omega and Shinryu are no match for the power of chemistry.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Now, the real challenge is the Sealed Temple if you're lucky enough to get the right classes... :getin:

And masochistic enough to actually do it.

mp5 posted:

Monk, Berserker, Ranger, Dragoon let's get into the misery

Ranger has X-Fight/Rapid Fire, so that's not a great choice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

If you're allowed to use every tool in the game it's also really easy to get bogged down with fiddling or choice paralysis. FJF rules streamline it so that you only focus on the jobs you're given instead of all eleventeen.

I've never actually finished FFV without some sort of restrictions on who can use what job. I don't think I've even made it to the end of world 1 without getting bogged down in grinding.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TheLawinator posted:

So I've never beaten FFV before and am doing a little trial run before the fiesta starts. How lame is black mage, berserker, ranger, chemist? I'm just a bit before the earth crystal and so far it has been kinda dumb. Am I missing out on some serious combos or anything?

That's a very solid team that won't give you any real problems, but it can be a little bit dull, particularly for random encounters. You want elemental rods, a death sickle, elemental bows and 99 turtle shells for most of the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Are there any strategies for Omega that don't require at least some luck? I can't think of any.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Princey posted:

What do you do with Shinryu if you can't berserk him? Are there any party compositions that just can't beat him?

There are strategies that don't involve berserk, but I'm not sure how many of them are feasible under the fiesta rules. There definitely are some parties that can't beat any of the superbosses at a reasonable level, and probably some that can't ever.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The big countdown timer on the front page of the main site says we'll start about this time on Tuesday.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The boss of the island temple doesn't counter Wind Slash even though it's a multi-target attack. That makes him a lot less painful to beat with a Geomancer on your team than a lot of other configurations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

derra posted:

Ah, yes, that terrifying ender-of-runs Wendigo. Is there any reason for a Geomancer to even go there?

No, if you have four Geomancers, there's no reason to do the Island Temple. But you probably have other jobs too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Miles McCloud posted:

1. The way I understand it, throughout FF5 you collect crystals that allow you to reclass your party members, and the challenge is to allow the Gilgabot to select which classes you take? I don't mind a challenging first run, just want to be sure I do it right. The game makes it perfectly clear when to do this, right?

You get a certain set of jobs from each crystal, and Gilgabot tells you which ones you can use. You have to limit yourself to those jobs, and keep at least one person in each job you've unlocked at all times.

For instance, if you roll Knight/Time Mage/Ninja/Dancer, then you'll have four Knights after the wind crystal, some mix of Knights and Time Mages after the water crystal, and one person in each of Knight, Ninja and Time Mage plus someone else in one of those three after the fire crystal. Then after you reach the earth crystal, you'll be required to have one of each at all times.

There are a couple points later on where you don't have all your party members, and the rule there is just no duplicates and no other jobs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

2) The Ocean Floor Map is long gone, because Photobucket is garbage. Fortunatly, I was able to find a copy via Google, and I've uploaded it to LPix

See that part in the bottom left that's a different color from everything else? If you want to fill out your bestiary, you have to sail around that particular indistinguishable 16 x 16 block of ocean for a while. Take even one step out of it and you're wasting your time.

Don't try to fill out your bestiary is what I'm saying.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm assuming if I play more organs I get better at playing them.

Yes, and once you've mastered the piano, it's :getin: time (if you get the right job).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

The captured animals seem pretty great as well, although it seems weird that I go through a whole fight to capture something that just becomes one move in one fight.

Welcome to the Fiesta.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

This is my first 4JF, so I'd like some advice on this profoundly mediocre roll (as far as I can tell).
Advice like, 'Go ahead and job fair for chemist.'

Monk isn't as bad as most people say as long as you keep them adequately leveled. Feeding them enough XP can be a bit grindy, and the crowd who want to run as quickly as possible hates that, so they get a bad reputation. Their only real downside is that they don't get late game superpowers like a lot of other jobs.

The problem you're going to run into is that your Dancer also needs a fully powered Chicken Knife, and grinding that out along with levels for your Monk is a little painful.

Some Guy TT posted:

I've been noticing lots of distasteful comments about Natural though. Why is that? Not as much fun because there's no skill mixing?

Yeah, that's the issue. Try it out and you'll see pretty quickly why.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

After getting Knight and Monk, I tried the !Guard + Counter strategy against Gil Turtle. As long as you don't mess up the inputs, it's technically foolproof, because it completely negates his attacks. I wouldn't even have needed Float since killing an enemy with a counter doesn't trigger the React: Death script.

However, I wouldn't recommend this approach unless you're playing on an emulator and can thus automate the process. Lenna did a pathetic ~850 damage on a counter, and even that only when she didn't miss due to Gil Turtle's respectable evasion. The fight took over 30 minutes in real-time.

Forget Omega and Shinryu, the real superboss is the Gil Turtle.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

derra posted:

That leaves Old, and Esuna doesn't restore the lost levels, only prevents you from losing more. This is really only a problem for, what, three potential bosses - SoulCannon, Calofisteri and the optional Gilgy fight?

NED too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

White Mage / Zerker / Bard / Samurai. Purobolos is going to be a pain, but no more than the natural Knight/Thief/WM/BM funrun I was doing before this.

Also, free multitarget stop is seeming real good.

Zeninage will shut down Purobolos easily. And the stop song is among the weakest of the Bard's abilities, so have fun.

Shoehead posted:

Also holy hell I've never seen Galuf's underwear and kneehighs before, I love how dancer looks

Source

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

The issue with Monk is that unless you grind your nuts off, their damage falls off because their "weapon" power sucks. At normal levels to beat the game (the mid 30s), their fists are only like 70 attack power weapons, compared to the weakest thing in the sealed weapon pool at 82 (the Flame Lash).

On the other hand, their punches can do critical hits, and that's not affected by RapidFire. The critical hit chance is 12%, so over the course of one RapidFire, you've got roughly a 21% chance of no crits, a 35% chance of one, a 26% chance of two, and an 18% chance of three or more.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 19, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Everything can be obtained either from enemies' normal AI routines or Confuse, tho possibly not at the earliest opportunities

You can get 1000 Needles elsewhere, tho not until at least world 2

1000 Needles (which isn't available till world 3 if you don't have a Beastmaster) and a couple of the level-based spells, although you'd need some source of reflect in the Barrier Tower (so Chemist, basically). 1000 Needles would be useful at a couple points in world 2, but it's not usually the end of the world if you don't have it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

My blue mages rolled to the Water crystal easily - vampire seems good.

Next job is Mystic Knight, which I never really used when I beat this for reals.

Seems like a pretty good team, so far!

Blue Mage/Mystic Knight is half of the most broken team in the game, so yeah, it's pretty good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Should I grind !Rapidfire on my Monk or just saddle them with nonboosted !summon for the entire game? I'm already going to have them grind eqBow for double Killer Bows against a couple bosses.

I think so. Buy a bunch of golden needles and go hang out in Castle Bal for a while. It won't take too long.

ItBreathes posted:

Does anyone have FFV hacking experience? How hard would it be to make movers give 999 AP?

Are you on GBA? If so, you can just exploit the Quicksave feature to run into movers over and over again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Miles McCloud posted:

1. About how much game do I have left? I'm enjoying the heck out of this game and am curious how far I am from the end.

World 1 is roughly the first 40-50% of the game, depending on how many of the endgame sidequests you do.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Has anyone else done a multiple zerker run yet?

There are a few people who've finished the game with three or four Berserkers. I don't think anyone's tried to do that more than once, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's got to be a less painful strategy. What's your team?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Knight, Summoner, Bard, Dancer

The initial strategy was to get golem up, hit the crystals with the knight until they're just above 3333 and then get speed on and go nuts with the Titan summons to get the last half HP down on the top three elements. Then I'd be left with the Earth crystal and idk break some rods or something.

However, even with max summons I don't have enough titans to not give the crystals another turn, so those three are all active and they own everyone.

You can get your speed up, cast Golem, beat up a crystal, heal, and repeat. It's slow but pretty safe.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Some of that weird esoteric stuff has been seen as a bug and patched out of the version you're playing (which is why a lot of people will sneer at it as "the worst") but some of it was the game working as intended.

To be fair, it's hard to look at some of what worked in the GBA version and think that it's how the game was meant to work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

do I care about getting Hermes Sandals as much if I have the Masamune? I'm trying to cut down on my gil-grinding, I want to get Coral Rings for attempting Shinryu

Very much. Hermes Sandals don't just give you haste; they make it so that you always have haste. That means that you can't be hit by stop, slow, or paralysis. The Masamune doesn't do that at all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

agradine posted:

For the most part, yes. But Behemoths are never with the effort, and Movers can be a pain when you don't need the AP, which you shouldn't by that part

Behemoths are hilariously weak to status effects. Even if you don't need to fight them, it can be fun to take them out that way.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

https://imgur.com/a/31s6uvs

I think I may be bad at this game.

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I went into the Rift without having fought Gilgamesh for the Excalipoor, and that was my first time ever, because it was now that I realized he won't be there to blow up Necrophobe.

The Gilgamesh scene is a counter that Necrophobe executes against the attack that brings him down below 10k hp, so if you have a way to do more than 10hp in damage in a single attack, you can bypass that scene even if Gilgamesh is in the rift. There aren't a lot of options for breaking the damage cap, but it can be done.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

equip whips or equip bows on my thief?

Rapidfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I really didn't think anyone was going to do that. Congratulations.