Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, don't forget about Can of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer for mixing up wacky, unique jobs! The Balance Patch is somewhere there too. I'll likely have the pledge again this year for the Randomizer (I'll write something up later).

:siren: New post! "UPDATES FOR #FF5FJF2019". Basically, #REGFORBIDDEN is now instead #FORBIDDEN as an exclusive modifier (also means #REGADVANCE is "new" for the GBA jobs), #REGPOPULAR has a new formula... and most importantly there's still another Mode to be announced!

Prism posted:

Maybe the Wonder Wand breaks but fixes itself with the reset. You don't know. You can't know.
I'm fairly sure it does, actually :) Or it would if it got that far, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single
Ooh, that's seriously tempting. I've been wanting to hit all the jobs since like my second year. Especially with this (although it's a darn shame it's not one per run or choose best!):
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1133908383441063941

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, didn't even know it was gone, I think I use that every year to make sure I don't forget something stupid but necessary (that and Enkibot which I also didn't notice in the OP). Also, I saw this one in the Official Subreddit, somebody made an in-depth Omega post which'll probably be useful.

:toxx:
Oh, time to fulfill one and make one! Only Can of Worms and myself completed this one last Fiesta:

And I'm doing it again: $1 per goon up to $20 for every goon that completes a run from now on to the end (must complete a normal run first) using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFVFJF site (probably not cool crowning on impossible runs), although if you want to slip a victory into another run's #Up that's probably okay. It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that tree.
:siren:Also, make sure you use the clean unpatched Final Fantasy V Advance US ROM (CRC32 7A24AB0C)! You'll get game-breaking errors with the EU version or patched ROMs that change job stuff.

Oh yeah, in it for #;debra, I mean #regWinner #BERSERKERRISK! I also did something truly stupid getting excited for the run and just nigh 100%ed Bravely Second in a seriously ridiculously short amount of time (mostly I just have to wait for Ba'al enemies from their servers). Since I'm out of those games I think next year I'll go back and beat Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light which heavily influenced it! Also, I might dip my toes into something else although I do have a couple other projects I should be putting time into.

Edit:
Completed - Osci, 1234567890num, MagusDraco, blakelmenakle, apophenium, Darwinism, Doom Goon, Can Of Worms.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 6, 2019

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, think people are downplaying how hard Omega is with certain classes! There are absolutely combinations that can't realistically beat it at Level 99. You also should remember some people (I mean, like, non-regulars) use savestates.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 2, 2019

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Looks like #stream is coming back and working a bit differently!
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1135333015524167682
(I know that Tweet is a bit misleading but that's because it cuts it off. It is coming back). I forget what the original method was but eventually it was worked up so it used Twitch Communities which lasted a year or so before it was deprecated. Also:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1135341828801044480

KataraniSword posted:

Savestates don't matter too much in FF5's RNG iirc, I think it's seeded in such a way that loading states mid-battle will lead to the same results every time unless you choose different actions, and with Omega you really can't afford to dick around for RNG manipulation.
I believe it matters on tick, so if you were to save during a menu and load it would be the same, but if you wait a tick (say, by buffering the Can't Run! message) it'll be different. At least it's that way on the European GBA version, not sure about the other ones (though I know there's fun with the battle seed bug). Also, yeah, just holding down A seems to get some really oddly replicable situations!

KataraniSword posted:

I think you're downplaying what a difference being Lv99 over (as an example) Lv50 is. That's basically your magic (mostly Succubus Kiss if you have a chemist) being 50% more accurate and its status effects being 50% less accurate (numerically; actual reduction may be lower). It turns something like Circle from a legitimate threat to potentially a dead turn on Omega's part, which is huge. Plus you have 5000-6000 HP by that point so you don't get reduced to a fine red mist immediately.
Oh, no, definitely, my response was more in reference to the original "I wonder if there's any team composition that can't beat Omega even if you were mad enough to grind all the way to level 99 and get 99 Elixirs". There's a lot! You might technically have one Dragoon but if the rest of your party is Berserkers and Thief-quality, well, you know. But I'm probably also more sensitive to that because I play #chaos.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Basically streaming is not up and running yet (I mean, the Fiesta hasn't even started yet!), more details will come soon (I believe the linking thing is because of the newer Twitch API). But you can see from this test and the respective Players listing how it'll likely work on the Twitter and display side.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

It fine to just dive right into a reg run with the steam version?
It... really matters on your classes. SNES/GBA are the preferred versions depending on a couple of things (mainly bugs/fixes involving Beastmaster and Berserker). Somebody more familiar with it will have to pipe up but here's a post about it last year with a tl;dir and an updated technical Reddit post. I thought there was something wacky about A (always hit) instead being 99 or a chance of missing? I think this comes up enough it should probably go in the OP.

Supremezero posted:

Does #Everhate still exist?
I haven't see anyone try #blameeverhate this year (well, someone tried in April apparently but it just gave a message about the 2018 fiesta being over).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Funktastic posted:

:toxx: Since my first time beating FFV was through the 4JF I'll donate $1 per person (max $20)who also has their first one of FFV through the fiesta!
Ooh, I like this one too!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:toxx: Mine (Randomizer) didn't get picked up either.

KataraniSword posted:

So what you're saying is that there are appropriate parties for it and you should never run from a battle in World 1 ever. Got it. :shepface:
Here we go again. :sigh:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sometimes it's a bit earlier or later depending on how long The Run takes (if there's a straggler for instance) and if revenantkioku is busy or asleep/something goes wrong.

Kyrosiris posted:

My bad. :shobon: Fixed.
Thanks! Let me know before next Fiesta if you'd like me to handle that post, I generally keep an eye out for that stuff anyway because I think challenges are fun!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Admiral Joeslop started a replacement for it but it's not as complete as the old one unfortunately.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Way to go!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Monk and Dancer is hilarious at high levels.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Huh, same for the Blue Mage (#regWinner #BERSERKERRISK).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Just a reminder that if you're reflecting a team against Omega that the healing number shown from Atomic Fires is a lot less than it really is:eng99: Damnit...

Here's another fun fact, confusing a zombie doesn't make the zombie attack enemies or anything like that. How you'd confuse a zombie I'll leave as an exercise for the reader (the answer is not tofu brains}.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ritznit posted:

:toxx:triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster:toxx:

Hempuli posted:

:toxx:NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive:toxx:
So #regWinner #BERSERKERRISK was kinda easy mode (although not a free triple crown). It was basically finagling Blue Mage until you get boosted Ramuh, then Titan, and then finally Syldra which more or less makes the rest a walk in the park. You just stroll through The Void with that and Odin's Zantetsuken (I was eating Iron Giants for breakfast).

Photographic proof of an idiot accidentally hitting the fast forward button at the end :downs: Thankfully it wouldn't have been bad as it's just the ol' Berserk+Mirage Vest glitch anyway. Not as bad as when I do it with Omega...

Not the trickiest Omega but not a very high damage one either (Gungir were under mid-1000s and riskier boosted Ramuhs weren't much better, 3 max per Search reflect). But really rather safe with Carbuncle (trying to NOT reflect Atomic Rays this time) and Blue Mage specialties (White Wind through Reflects, Mighty Guard of course, and shield capabilities on Butes there who ended up just using a Flame Shield). I didn't even have to use the Status Equipment glitch although it did make it longer since Mute blocks Summon and White and Aegis Shield has Stone protection.

Seriously, boosted Syldra is like cheating (the Mighty Guard didn't hurt but Golem was very good too). I don't think I've ever had an easier Neo Exdeath.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Why isn't there a #regChaos without duplicates (or, the same thing I guess, a #regPureChaos without Freelancer and Mimic)?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, setting the Battle Speed to 6 really makes running away much easier:downs: I always play on 1 but, man, I'll probably change for dungeons.

Anyway, Run 2 finished! (Blue Mage -> rerolled Geomancer)

Aerdan posted:

:toxx: 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. :toxx:

Hempuli posted:

:toxx:$10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive:toxx:
Already filled but I got a better one this time:lol:

derra posted:

:toxx:LV <100 Triple Crown:toxx:
I know I didn't make the deadline, but I was lying in bed (I had gotten somewhere before Drakenvale) and it just struck me, "Hey, it should be technically possible to triple-crown this total LV <100." I'm always that person that grinds to somewhere in the 60s, picking up 4 Hermes Sandals, Reflect Rings at Barrier, etc. so it kind of felt something I should do. It was pretty painful as I wasn't prepared at all (I was late LV 23 when I realized it!) so I had like no money and limited free fights (Krile there reached 24 due to the only Asp that I failed to dodge late-Pyramid), poor ABP choices (thankfully I think everyone got the 175 ABP over bosses to get Sing but so much of that was endgame), limited items and the like, but I made it work!

Exdeath at the end of World 2 was the hardest part I think (there were others, I didn't just want to Quick Leak everything!). I knew it was possible at LV 23 (thanks Comet, Hastega, and Swift Song) but boy do you not want to eat a 2/3 chance of Zombie Breath after the 7th round. I ended up having to use almost all my collected Phoenix Downs just so I could eat turns. Oh, I also totally forgot I could use !Hide on Twintania, whoops! Thankfully Comet and Meteor are surprisingly good. But, yeah, by the end I was down to one Phoenix Down. Not something you want to find out when you're in deep in The Rift!

Get over yourself!

Quick Leak (Poison Rod isn't AE and is selectable btw).

Mirage Vest glitch but actually it took a few goes not to wipe (although I could've just used Quick Leak). Only the Ranger had the capability for the Mirage Vest but thankfully I could use Elven Mantle due to Time Mage (Apollo Harp really helped out too, did that instead of potentially Rapid Fire or !Time. Probably should've used Dark Bow though, whoops).

Osci posted:

My Randomizer :toxx:
Very nice, counted!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

I finished! :toot: Final tally came in at 70 cutscenes, which is... significantly less than I thought it would be. Turns out the party doesn't have much to say about most of world 3. World 1 actually had more cutscenes than the other two combined. Here's the complete list. I'll also be editing it into the original toxx post.
Oof, you didn't get the one where you leave The Void after engaging Exdeath smh. Seriously though, nice job!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Aerdan posted:

:toxx: 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. :toxx:

(Lenna getting real sick of the wishy-washiness)

Run 3 down! This one had some rough spots, Monk early on had to deal with a painful Liquid Flame/Byblos (Beastmaster was my fourth). Barehanded inheriting 24 STR (the most) was nice but Monk, for having so much HP, is really fragile by itself and I didn't get nearly enough levels for it to feel any good. Not much synergy and Thief in addition really doubled down on that "Ugh, you're dead again?" feeling. IMO Beastmaster is one of those super-useful classes where dealing with it is like repeatedly stubbing your toe over and over again through the whole game and it's hindered that you get Catch as its last ability. I like Samurai quite a lot (dodging, shielding, criting, money-throwing, hasteing, initiative, insta-killer) but I didn't get to use !Iainuki much (it's an 850 ABP investment after all)!

First time I've ever done Calm locking! It took awhile to get correctly and oh boy does it take forever to get enough crits with Barehanded or Katanas. I winged it on Katanas (Fist's crits are 8% twice btw) but I made the mistake of thinking that the critical rate was the same for each katana until I looked it up afterwards (whoops!).

The ol' Mirage Vest glitch technically, with reflecting Mammon and also using Galajelly (I think I used Mythril Knife or something from the back row to not kill it). With Samurai (both extra evasion and Masamune Haste meaning Elven Mantle) and Blind that meant I was in no danger of messing this one up, although it was pretty frustrating having to set everything up. A common complaint with Beastmaster. Oh, also had Dragon's Whiskers which meant it took little time (fun fact, it uses the Bows Strong vs. Creature formula which also halves Shinryu's 20% evasion along with the Strong vs bonus).

This was... fairly bad. After a few wipes I decided to swap jobs around due to ABP gaps and catch some Dragon Aevises (thanks Control). I had set up a Crystelle catch for Mighty Guard earlier which was also something of a nightmare, made worse with Monk's countering. Wiped a couple more times until I switched to Zeninage/Magic Lamp and more Elixirs and Gold Needles/Phoenix Downs than I figured I'd need. Just not enough HP and armor I think (well, for 3/4 of my party) w/ HP+30% not being very reasonable or cheap.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

rodbeard posted:

Stuck with 4 berserkers on liquid flame. Where should I grind out levels and for how long?
I believe it's about 16-20 and I vaguely remember grinding on the ship and switching to Mythril Knives during grinding because misses were driving me crazy (you might need Eye Drops if you're low level iirc). The plains might give more experience but Zu and Land Turtle are bulky and while Wild Nakks are quick they don't give much experience and there's often enough of them you'll be waiting for turns (plus it sucks eating ???s). You might want to hit low because your success is going to depend on Liquid Flame's swapping RNG.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Aerdan posted:

Run 4 down! Well, down a few days ago now.

Whoa, the mouth on her!

Because of when the jobs popped up I had Red Mage only through World 1 which was actually mostly a breeze. Mythril Swords are OK up 'til spells. Archaesaurus was a pain though because the last form is immune to magic and he can deal it out while I had to plink at him (and I had grinded levels from getting items because I knew I'd be getting Chemist). I actually let out a curse when I saw I got Mystic Knight on my last roll because I wanted it for my last run but oh well. After World 1, well, I had Chemist and Mystic Knight so, you know.

Chemist (and Mystic Knight).

Chemist.

Chemist.

1234567890num posted:

Counted!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Does the Equipment Status bug not work on the European version or something? Weirdly I couldn't seem to get it to work which is odd because I swore it worked fine before.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

MagusDraco posted:

Counted, especially liked reading about the early game stuff you're not supposed to be able to do!

Edit: That's also a good point, I should emphasize in the post that you should use the right ROM. Happened to me once too!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 11, 2019

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Speaking of wacky shenanigans, I finally got around to checking out that FFV glitch YouTube channel that was posted here for fun. Am I right in assuming this is some sort of super-broken menuing+Hide item glitch for the SFC? And then you can even use it with Mix?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Doom Goon posted:

Does the Equipment Status bug not work on the European version or something? Weirdly I couldn't seem to get it to work which is odd because I swore it worked fine before.
Just an update on this, so I tested it out and the Equipment Status bug does not happen with the EU version (well, I tested the orchestral mod but that probably doesn't matter). I double-checked the US version just in case it was an emulator issue and it worked fine there. The appropriate bytes in memory (during battles) for the EU modded version start at 0x0201EBEF, 0201EC83, 0201ED17, and 0201EDAB.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Huh, interesting. Does that mean Chemist buffs running out when you switch weapons was also fixed?
Nope, still happens (Elemental Power/Magic Element Up for the 1st player is 0x0201EC06 set to 80, I didn't bother checking Resists. 0201EBDC is the one you can check with elemental equipment and changes on that !Mix [I'd have to look how it checks it but it's not important, I think it just skips it]).

ZypherIM posted:

edit: At least on the snes version, double air blades don't appear to be any stronger than a single one.
It triggers a flag (it's bitwise) so you either have the bonus or you don't.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Aerdan posted:

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

Run 5 down just in time for Awful Summer Jam 2019! That makes every class and the RNG was nice enough to give me all Triple Crowns, too! I've mentioned it before but I've been wanting to do that since like the second year I've participated, so I'm very thankful for the incentive to pull it off! There's a few other things I want to do (including a Randomizer run) so I'm not quite done with FFV yet!

Job Fair tweets.
Total Job Fair amount: $18

OMG, poor Shinryu. Just keep missing on the Knight and eating Sword Dances. I think technically it hit Blink(1) off once.

I didn't bother figuring out that the Status Equipment glitch didn't work before I finished but thankfully I got this after quite a few tries. No Dancer shenanigans here, everyone used Thundagas on reflected Searches. Black Mage had Equip Shield for the Fire Shield and Maelstroms caused many wipes (didn't bother shield swapping because Black Mage's speed was a problem and I'd occasionally miss the reflect in time. I did swap dagger to a Thunder Rod and back though). 4x reflected Thundagas does a ton of damage so this was about the 3rd or 4th reflect pattern due to healing and whatnot.

Sword Dances (and Flare plus an ending Magic Lamp) made short work of Neo Exdeath, along with a Ribbon and two Aegis Shields.

With this party I could also kill the True Superboss:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

e: f;b

If you reflect his Search (with Carbunkle lasting until his Search which occurs after hitting twice in a row in his AI script) his counters will only hit himself until his next attack. Well, that next attack if it's Atomic Ray (or is it the Flame Thrower?) might target on himself can be funky and hit a person if I'm remembering right but it's generally acceptable. Also, if you have enough speed and items you could just revive back from Rocket Punches and hope you don't get Encircle enough for it to matter but I probably wouldn't without a class with Haste (or Shields) so you can have Fire absorption or Reflect Rings. Also, for extra safety against that Earthquake you'll want to get Floated (using the eagle or stingray confuse trick) and you'll still have to deal with the utter dread that is Sap+Maelstrom.

blakelmenakle posted:

Counted! And, wow, what a massacre!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's more than just Monk. It's equippable by White Mage, Black Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Chemist, Geomancer, Bard, and Dancer.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Darwinism posted:

This wasn't even supposed to be a silly name run
:allears:

apophenium posted:

Counted! I think that might be the most even-keeled set yet (though many people are doing spicy so that's to be expected). Also, thanks, I'm glad to see this year it's finally hitting off!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Darwinism posted:

My randomizer :toxx:
Counted! Sorry it took so long, I've been awol!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Edit: The other items that are super easy to miss are the two cottages in Tycoon Castle and the Great Sword lying in the moat of Castle Bal, but neither one counts for your treasure rating.
There's a lot of weird ones that count. One of the cottages in Tycoon is counted apparently (I think that one's a barrel). But then there's the Karnak Flame Rod, the pots in Phoenix Tower, the Thief Knife, etc.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 12, 2019

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Just under the wire I rushed through the last world of my own Randomizer :toxx:! I didn't have time to do Omega but it was very possible and I probably could've done it if I literally had like another day. The run was kind of boring this time, here's my list (Mild, which I think I might require next year?):

Knight (2nd and 4th)
-- Default: !Steal
-- Skill 0: 15 Sprint
-- Skill 1: 40 !Summon 2
-- Skill 2: 95 Shirahadori
-- Skill 3: 150 !Summon 4
-- Skill 4: 360 !Black 6
Ninja (1st job)
-- Default: !Hide
-- Skill 0: 10 HP +10%
-- Skill 1: 75 !Time 2
-- Skill 2: 110 Equip Katana
-- Skill 3: 180 HP +30%
-- Skill 4: 290 Equip Shield
Samurai (3rd job)
-- Default: !Scan
-- Skill 0: 15 Pharmacology
-- Skill 1: 40 !White 3
-- Skill 2: 80 !Black 4
-- Skill 3: 200 !White 5
-- Skill 4: 370 !Summon 5

As you can see, I had good defense, offense, speed, summons, and magic. The end game basically boiled down to abusing initiative and boosted Syldra. !Time2 meant I could Slow and Haste which was great especially before World 3. !Steal meant I could get Twin Lances for my Ninja before Drakenvale for fun! I even had no flees up until today and picked Chicken Knife anyway.

Oh, like last year, here's my random menu color (R2, G9, B0, yikes btw):

And here's the screens:

I'm planning on making one last post. We'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Can Of Worms posted:

Counted, and also great to hear about an update! This year my :toxx: was by far more popular than any other year's!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There were only 72 speed trap victims and 2,274 rods broken this year. Ya'll need to step it up next year! As punishment, I just donated the $60 anyway.
Crud, I kept a list, too, and just forgot to sign into Discord. That's okay, it wasn't much. In fact, I wrote down, "7 rods time mages in karnak 750, 1 rod hey turns out it turns motor trap to (crew) dust and DOESN'T trigger a self-destruct."