Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone have the data the popular setting is based on? There was a poll or something iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

That seems a lot different than Popular though and Winner is being tagged under that

It's probably the Popular formula but based on teams with confirmed wins from last year instead of polling.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

Then you'd likely end up with the same teams year after year if Winner stuck around

At least if it was based on the twitter polling it might change

I don't think popular is likely to change much either.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ritznit posted:

I've been reading up on some of the bosses and I gotta ask, has anyone here been nuts enough to kill Omega on their Fiesta run?

I triple crowned my first playthrough/run last year. It's pretty easy if you get a good team.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Chemist is the strongest class in the game and can singlehandedly win any fight. Black Mage is strong. Ranger is solid but only really shines in certain combos. Zerk is bad but what can you do.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
After the main fiesta run this year, I think I'm going to try something a bit different. I call it Multiclass. The rules are
---Each character (Bartz, Lenna, Faris, Garuf/Krile) gets two classes. They may only ever use and equip abilities from those two classes
---Freelancer, Mime, and the GBA classes are out, but otherwise can be drawn from any crystal. All eight jobs must be unique.
---Ex: Bartz gets Time Mage+Ninja; Lenna gets White Mage+Geomancer; Faris gets Knight+Monk; Garuf/Krile get Berserker+Blue Mage

The idea is that you end up with more party variety and interesting tradeoffs, and you can't do silly things like teach the entire party !Sing and crap.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I've been doing a pre Fiesta replay and yeah my biggest advice for new players is 'run from encounters'. A lot of ff5 random encounters loving suck and you shouldn't do the standard rpg 'just fight all the encounters and you never have to grind' method. Find a good low effort place to grind out your jobs at the end of world 1 and that'll probably get you enough xp to largely carry you for the rest of the game unless you have a terrible team.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you're playing in gba just do Gil cave. Otherwise ya Phoenix tower

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
lmao the 'payoff' for that megaflare

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Deki posted:

Forgot about the Fiesta run. How much time do I have (estimated) before I need to get my wind shrine save up?

Probably a few hours for the first winner, and apparently they're trying to get it started after the first winner.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
First player has entered the rift

e: lol nevermind he forgot to grab all the legendary weapons

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yagamoth finished. Dragondarch and Bowie both going into the final fight shortly. Jenja just now entering the void.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zerilan posted:

One thing as far as resources/guides go, is there any list of good grind spots throughout a run? I know there's the money dogs, and prototypes and later shield dragons if you have !control, but is there any good list of such spots? Noticed sometimes I have a party that breezes through w1/2 well enough that I don't think to stop to level much then kind of feel really underpowered for chunks of w3.

Zombie dragons in drakenvale are good, especially if you have anti-undead tech, but they drop 3k gold per kill including their dragon fang so you can just phoenix down them.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I've been telling myself for about three years now that I was going to do a FJF run, and now I'm gonna do it.
Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to do it on the android version of the game, that's not a problem, is it?

Also, what's the recommend run configuration for someone who is doing this for the first time and hasn't actually played FF5 in forever?

I strongly recommend doing normal or popular if you're not using the fiesta patch.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I made a guide to run chances throughout the game, for people who don't want to have to scroll through the massive algorithm guide.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bregor posted:

Yeah I think Lix has one and Istory has one. Does Istory survive the Void? Can’t remember.

Nope. Lix and Istory songs are world 1 only. Library song is lost if you don't get it before pyramid.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

blinking beacon nose posted:

Yeah but I can always get the Kaiser knuckles in the Great Sea Trhahaha kill me now

Good to know that the Dancer actually continues to become worth a poo poo though. Just so I'm clear: Barehanded gives you Monk's strength even if you have a weapon in hand? Hilarious loophole if so. And if so.. it looks like my lovely classes are going to give me some awesome support abilities at least, what with that and Dualcast :hellyeah:

All the 'Equip Weapon' abilities come with their class' strength score, and all magic abilities come with a magic score.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mogki posted:

One the Blue Magic topic:
Can you get Mind Blast from Wendigo via Confuse?

It's part of his normal moveset

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lenna and Uncle Ramuh kill a robot while everyone nervously sings at it

Anger and illusions trivially defeat some dragon

This rear end in a top hat cactus almost wipes my intensely OP party with a bullshit Grand Cross.

I'm going to do one more, since this was kinda free.

Rolled Samurai, Dragoon, Geomancer... Chemist. I've never been glader that I use the fiesta mod.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

pointy corpse posted:

Any advice on getting monk/summoner/geomancer/dragoon through the crystal fight at moore?

Spam golem, melee one crystal to just over 3k hp, summon Gaia gear boosted titan, repeat until only earth crystal is left, then use thunder rod boosted ramuh instead. Get float if you really need to

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

Out of curiousity, what's the fiesta mod that people are talking about?

A mod that unlocks all jobs at the start of the game. It makes the game way better if you're playing on chaos mode and get a party based around fire and especially earth based jobs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's going to be really hard to keep up with shin's attack speed with JUST berserk access though. There are a lot of options to deal with it, but berserk alone probs isn't enough. Blind, blink, lots of shield access ect.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Shinryu can only kill one person a round. Fling phoenix downs.

I've tried it with hermes scandals across the board and barely had time to do damage while flinging phoenix downs. He attacks a bit less than twice per 'round' while zerked.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Or it makes the game way worse if you roll Bard on your Wind Crystal job.

Never do quad-bard. It hurts.

Pre-fire ship bard is just a slightly worse thief, it's doable. My worst start was quad-time mage karlabos and siren

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Miles McCloud posted:

1. About how much game do I have left? I'm enjoying the heck out of this game and am curious how far I am from the end.
Depends. World 2 is somewhat shorter than World 1. World 3 can be fairly lengthy but most of it is optional. The final dungeon is also pretty lengthy.

Miles McCloud posted:

2. Am I going to get absolutely destroyed with this team if I miss picking up anything from here to the end?

Nah. You can pick up some better rods in world 2 shortly after you get galuf back home. You may need to grind out some Holy rods from some shapeshifting enemies a bit later on if you're having problems with the world 2 final boss (he's a dick). There's a LOT of treasure in world 3, but the important bits are "get the legendary weapons for your classes" and "get top of the line gear in phantom village". Phantom Village is hidden, and while npcs give you clues about it, it's not easy to find. Look it up if you need to. You can access it as soon as you get your airship back in world 3.

Oh, also you REALLY want to steal a rainbow dress for your dancer. Look up locations for that in world 3.

You might also want to look up spoilers for the Chicken Knife.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Any Tips & Tricks for defeating Omega with Blue Mage, Geomancer, Dragoon and Canoneer? I sold Trident like a dumb.

pretty sure you can always go back and buy another trident from jachol

A Real Horse posted:

Shinryu I see, with Berserk and Image, but how do I keep Omega from ending me? I'm totally unfamiliar with bard, does it have something?

romeo's ballad stunlocks omega if you have three people hitting him. technically you can do two but the timing is tight. bard also can get your str/mag and level up to 99 with songs

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Gilgabot gave me Ranger for my wind job and Samurai for my water job. I don't know what I did wrong :saddowns:

those classes are both great and you should be playing fiesta mod!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I wanted to do a "normal" fiesta run, though. I guess I can make a burner Twitter account to try registering again after I figure out what I did wrong.

oh lol

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The real reward for killing leviathan is the reflect ring it drops

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Where are these poison eagles in the rift?

rare encounter in cave, alongside a drippy and zombie dragon

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Iainuki is also crazy op. It ONLY respects Heavy. Half the world 2 bosses and like 90% of normal enemies are vulnerable to it. Samurai is real good.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

derra posted:

Man, I stick someone with Samurai as soon as I get it (I don't Fiesta) and 9 times out of 10 I hit NED without Iainuki.

i run with fiesta mod so i have someone sitting in it from canal onwards

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Wait, how does step 3 even work?

programming (omega only counters damaging hits, if your second hit does no damage he doesn't counter it at all, i think)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Well I beat Omega a few days ago, but Shinryu keeps kicking my Blue/Dragoon/Geomancer/Cannoneer team's rear end. Should I just grind some levels out or is there something I'm missing?

Theoretically any team can use wonder wand to berserk him and then equip stuff that blocks physical attacks. Don't try to fight him honestly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Gaia isn't too bad most of the time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

hell ya

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

agradine posted:

Oh sure, I could run from random encounters*, but I prefer not having to grind

*There's never really any reason to fight anything in the Rift, so...

castle exdeath, world 3 optional areas, and the rift are actually the only places where you should strongly consider fighting stuff, cause almost everything there has low run rates!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

agradine posted:

For the most part, yes. But Behemoths are never with the effort, and Movers can be a pain when you don't need the AP, which you shouldn't by that part

Movers, interestingly, have a 100% run rate, compared to everything else in the last floor's 7%!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The team slams back an astounding amount of drugs, then kiss a robot to death

they also killed a dragon i guess

they then did more drugs and killed a tree, followed by psychedelic cactus representing the difficulties of drug abuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone have a nice in depth beastmaster guide?