Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Phoneposting, but I'll redo my pledge from last year. I'll pull it up tonight if no one beats me to it.

Edit: got it

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements: 

1) Triple Crowns 
2) with a total party level under 100 and 
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30. 

Include a screenshot of your final levels! 

After 4 years, I'm at 82 triple crowns in a row, all but the first 2 chaos. Think I'll push for the big 100.

Samuel Clemens, blakelmenakle, Orange Fluffy Sheep, Osci, Mega64, Bregor, KataraniSword, Ayuno, Man with Hat, Kyrosis

derra fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mega64 posted:

PS1 is the worst version yet has the best translation.

I went through your LP the other day and YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS made me laugh, it's so good

GBA with sound fix because it gives Beastmasters a free win on Omega (mostly) over the SNES and doesn't have the changed mechanics of the Matrix versions.

derra fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 23, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Fiesta is the best way to play FF5. Also don't be shy asking questions; everyone here loves splerging out.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The main reason 1 Berserker is good is because there is an axe that can proc Death that they can access early, and there are a lot of bosses including some rough ones that are vulnerable to it. Not many classes can exploit this weakness during the relevant timeframe.

Speaking of which, by far the best 4JF resource is our own Mega64's boss list. If you are having trouble, check status vulnerabilities especially.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

now try adamantoise with bards

gently caress Adamantoise. Archaeoaevis is bad too.

Rodbreaking is, in combat, opening up the item menu, hitting up to select your inventory, and double-click a rod weapon. It breaks it but casts a spell - the elemental rods you get early game cast level 3 elemental spells, for example.

Note you can use that same menu to switch what weapon you are equipped with by pressing down, so you can break a lot of rods in one battle if desired.

derra fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 28, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Don't forget Defender (Protect, no break)

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Dance doubles A, doesn't ever break Sleep, and allows you to do unlikely things by throwing yourself at a boss enough. Just have to win once. Plus, Equip Ribbons is one of the best Equip abilities as Ribbons and Rainbow Dresses kick rear end.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Red Mage carries W1 by herself, can break rods for damage and can apply almost every status in the game by W3. As long as you don't have multiples, there's no way they should be in the worst party.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Eh, you get Sleep, Old, Poison and Toad for Shell and Blink (and Holy, but I'm lazy and rarely do Fork).

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The Red Mage can Old Bridgegamesh via the Ancient Sword as well.

Staff of Light breaking or, hell, just beating on Exdeath with it is another option for W2 Exdeath.

Yes, I rapidfire-d W2 Exdeath with a Staff of Light once.

While Equip Axes + Sword Dance does work, the very fact that you have an additional controllable character makes Omega easier. The only real benefit the Berserker has is the ability to equip the Aegis Shield and hopefully block something nasty heading to the party

Hmm. I rarely get Monk, but a Barehand Swords Dance crit has to do 9999 right?

derra fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 31, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

63 * 2 * 2 = 252, 7 * 2 = 14, 252 * 14 = 3,528

So no, not even remotely, assuming relatively high levels for W2Death. To crit for 9999 you'd need uh... level 52.

107 * 2 * 2 = 428, 12 * 2 = 24, 428 * 24 = 10,272

(level 51 is 105@11 M, for 9,240 damage)

Thanks for the math, but I was actually thinking of Omega. 52 seems reasonable for Omega and that party.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Ah, fair enough. Then yeah, you'd basically be praying to god for 8% crits on a 50% 25% chance (Monks can't equip Lamia's Tiara) for SD, which I know is doable, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to bother without Omega trapped outside time.

Worth noting that your Sword Dances would actually still punch through Omega even if non-crit, just for uh... let's call it chip damage.

(107 * 2 = 214 - 190 = 24 * 24 = 576)

Oh. That's bad. That's very bad.

I'd use Barehand on the Dancer myself, but if your non-crits hurt him that's not going to work.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

If you want to ensure that a non-crit never does damage (to dodge reactions), you'd need to ensure your attack power is under 95 even after random variance, which is (0...(Level/4)). That makes the magic breakpoint level 41 (41 / 4 = 10; 85 fist power at level 41 + 10 = 95 * 2 = 190, which is Omega's defense score). You're then looking at crits equal to 85 * 2 * 2 = 380; 10 * 2 = 20, 340 * 20 = 6800 damage (skewing as high as 95 * 2 * 2, 7600 damage).

Yeah, probably go a bit higher level, Barehand the Dancer for the strength but CK dance him down anyway.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Other way around.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Funktastic posted:

Loads of people! Depending on your team it's a free win (time mage/bard/beastmaster are a few) or possible with some strategy/grinding.

I think derra has tripled crowned all their runs too.

Yeah, over 4 years I've TCed 82 run in a row.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

I killed Omega with RDM/DNC/DNC/DNC last year, but the entire party was also level 99, so less than ideal. (I balanced it out by also beating it with a level 22 party of SMN/NIN/BER/TIM).

Dancer is a good class against Omega.

It's not a free kill like some other classes, but CK Dancing and Equip Ribbons (to make your characters confuse-proof via Rainbow Dresses) means you can win with a decent level (more 50s or so than 99), a pile of Elixirs and knowledge of when it's safe to attack in his routine. You'll need luck but after some attempts you can do it.

I did it with Samurai Samurai Samurai Ninja at 85. That fight is weird to me when you can just tank Atomic Rays.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

This is good, but you might want to let non-GBA users qualify with Beast as well - Beastmaster is only good against Omega due to a bug that is only in the GBA version.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
On Shinryu, levels help a lot more than they generally do on Omega. I don't know if, say, 4 Geos can defeat Shinryu at level 99 but I'm not saying it's impossible like Omega would be.

If you were doing a standard run, you'd have to pull Berserker AND Geo, and even then I think the worst Wind and Earth jobs you could get (Samurai and either Monk or Thief) could pull you through given sufficient levels.

derra fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 10, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Two Zerks and I really start to worry about Omega, which is why I don't risk. Even a Geomancer can use Elixirs.

Not only are iOS Zerks going to eat a lot of Almagests, they will also eat a bunch of Meteors. Doing that on iOS is highly suspect.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Just means you're levelling up that Chicken Knife as you go.

Usually I'll grind to 10 in the Wind Temple pre job JUST IN CASE I get Thief or White first or something; if you peek and your job isn't terrible this optional. Karnak for money. Dragon Zombies for money (anyone can use Phoenix Down and sell the guaranteed Dragon Fang). Crystals and Meatdeath will likely need some levels depending on composition. Then in W3 you get the Chicken Knife, run through the pyramid without looting most of it (loot is good but encounters are a pain), get the Airship, straight to Phantom, Black Chocobo to Mug Phoenix tower enemies for cash, endgame gear and you're good.

That's probably the biggest help for newcomers - learn where Phantom Village is. A lot of endgame gear is purchasable there and it's available pretty early in W3.

Had anyone made a list of Sealed Weapons by sell price? I could use that tbh.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Hackan Slash posted:

I believe it's 5 gold each so I think you need another get rich quick scheme

Some sell for more for certain. Like I said, my main go to is to Mug Rainbow Dresses, Red Slippers, and hopefully Coral Rings from Phoenix Tower enemies.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

OzFactor posted:

And remember: those ladies are scary as hell but they're all human and thus susceptible to, like, everything. Frogs can't use their ridiculous counters.

I think they only counter Fight as well? When you actually need to kill them use another command and you're mostly good.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Thanks, being over 35 means I don't get this Discord thing

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Ah, yes, that terrifying ender-of-runs Wendigo. Is there any reason for a Geomancer to even go there?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Please Geos are really good on some fights, even on NED they get an AOE wind ability you can boost with Air Knives. Dragoons are just there unless youre doing gimmicky four man dragoon jump parties on your own time.

Jumping Almagest / Tidal Wave and then rezzing the fallen is a tactic I've used, and they can obviously kill Grand Cross and Shinryu really fast. The ability to hold an Aegis Shield should not be underestimated.

Anyway stop making me defend Dragoons I am not fond of them either.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Whyyyyyyyyyy

You already have Red, W1 is free

That post is painful for me

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I tend to do stuff after the pyramid only if I have 2 Aegis Shield users these days, or if Holy would be literally my entire offense. Maybe Flare for Flare Sword.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/1140818172364374017

*Edit* And Chemist is my first job on Run 2.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

And Geomancer to close it out. So...hm, can Black Mage / Berserker / Geomancer triple crown? Omega seems doable, if difficult, but I'm not seeing any obvious path for Shinryu short of power-leveling. How low level can I go for just NeoExdeath? I'm side-eying that "combined party levels under 100" challenge.

Shinryu shouldn't be too bad with a pile of Phoenix Downs.

Omega ... is going to be very rough. I'm not sure how you're planning on taking him down easily with Black / Geo / Zerk x2. Two Zerkers means you can only toss two elixirs a round, which is a losing proposition.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bregor posted:

Also y'all are crazy, I'm only at Boatgamesh. I did have to work today though.

I had Bard Summoner AND Chemist. Anything remotely difficult was berserked, blinded if possible, and Golem was up. Only way it could have been worse for the enemies is if I could have stacked Blink on top.

Re: Tidal Wave - Not everyone has to survive it, you can come in with a mix of Coral and Hermes (or RNG scum for an Aegis proc) and toss Phoenix Downs, but again the problem is two Berserkers. He'd have to run one Coral one Hermes with that setup on his usable characters, and he could easily fall behind. You'd have to hope for really good RNG. Can't use Mirage Vests with those two - maybe come in Mini'ed for the evasion boost?

Having half your party uncontrollable is just rough for those two.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Madtrixr posted:

Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer

I am sure having a real time of it, tell ya what. anyone got any thing i should know for this, other than I am in for hell when I leave world 1?

Dance will never break Sleep.

Don't sell your Ancient Sword; use it to proc Old on a bunch of stuff.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Bruceski posted:

If I use thunder spellblade on a coral sword and attack something weak to lightning would it to extra-extra damage?

No

derra
Dec 29, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

So I've got Thief/Berserker/Ninja/Dancer.

Sticking Dual-Wield on a Dancer and doing Swords Dance all day with the Chicken Knife is an obvious goal to shoot for, and I have a Thief with Equip Axes for Death Scythe shenanigans, but what else can I do? Does Artful Dodger do anything for Berserkers? Or would they be better off with a ribbon on them? Image is probably going to be useful, but should I bother grinding out Reflect Rings in Barrier Tower? My characters are already in their low 20s by this point, and I'm thinking that might be overkill.

Artful is good for most fights. Berserkers are naturally confuse-proof so Equip Ribbons isn't as great as it normally is for Omega on them, but I would use it on NED for sure.

The main problem with that party is that there is a lot of competition for the high end daggers (and 3 people can use the CK).

The main reasons to get Reflect Rings are the Crystals and Meatdeath. Your Zerker will handle Crystals, but it would help Meatdeath. Personally I almost never get them myself, and I think your offense should be sufficient with Twin Lances, but YMMV.

derra fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 18, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

So how important is Flare really? I know that the level three elemental spells do about the same damage as long as you have the right rods, and are cheaper, so I'm just wondering when Flare is indisputably critical if you have a black mage. As in, worth doing a whole two extras dungeons critical.

Flare Sword is good.

Flare is not.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
3/3 on Chemists this year

Re: Grinding, I find it to be very party specific, but I'm puzzled. Most of the time if I am having trouble it's for Meatdeath (and maybe Crystals). The power spike you get with the Chicken Knife and Hermes after the pyramids usually mean I'm good to go in W3 as long as I can take out Meatdeath.

derra fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 18, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Hi, uh gently caress Archeoaevis!!?

Geo wrecks his first forms, and I think Summoners can still use Chocobo on the last?

Chemist / Time / Black / Ninja, my god

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Shyfted One posted:

Almost 24 hours and my first Exdeath kill hasn't been recorded. Submitted via Twitter and the website.

I used another Twitter account to start a run because I got impatient and Gilgabot punished me. First run was Winner + Berserker. Gilgabot have me Geomancer, White, Summoner, Freelancer. 2 jobs I just had. Was really hoping for something more interesting than my 1st run, but with a worse party.

Hopefully by the time I get through this run RK will have recognized the victory on my regular Twitter account.

You can start a run while your previous one is verifying nowadays. I have had 2 submitted via Twitter (1 verified)

derra
Dec 29, 2012
https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/1141143690292924416

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

White Mage / Berserk / Bard. What do I do about the sandworm (besides kill the berserker)? Plink, plink, plink? SNES version.

I'm sorry : (

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Hempuli posted:

Oh hey, I've kind of wanted to do one of these, so here goes:

I'll donate $10 for every screenshot of either NED, Shinryu or Omega being beaten with only one team-member alive, up to $100. Preferably with the teammates falling to enemy attacks, but eh, feel free to set things up however you want. :toxx:

Oh, didn't notice this one until SC linked it.

https://twitter.com/D_Amagai/status/1141058551030386688