Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I have no fanart (or art skills of any kind!) to offer but I shall appreciate those done nonetheless.

Looking forward to another good year of Fiesta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Interesting, I assume using one of these doesn't invalidate your run or anything?

... Not that anyone could even check that since this is all on the honor system anyway, I guess. But I might use one of these since I always want to do a run or two but end up having no time to finish it.

There's too many ways one could stealthily cheat and finding ways to validate runs around that poo poo would be horrendous, so RK goes by the honor system. By which I mean he doesn't LIKE the idea of letting modded runs through, but he accepts it as kind of a necessary evil. It's for charity anyway!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Dragoons are essentially Knights But Worse, since their stat line is similar but they use spears instead of (knight) swords, they don't have kit to help them with tanking (and in fact avoid tanking with !Jump), and don't really synergize with any other class.

There's a few situations where they really shine, at least. !Jump is highly situational but the handiest thing in said situations (SoulCannon and other bosses with powerful-but-telegraphed attacks), and they're murder against Shinryu, especially if you have Ninjas; a Dragoon dual-wielding Dragon Lances can hop on Shin for up to 15,000 damage per Jump (admittedly actually GETTING those lances is a pain, but so it goes).

My biggest problem with Dragoons is that they're built as potentially the best tanks in the game, but have no ability to force hits onto themselves (unlike Knights with their Cover) and in fact their signature ability takes them off the field entirely, meaning other units will be taking hits in their place, which is kind of the exact opposite of what you want your tank to be doing.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

Savestates don't matter too much in FF5's RNG iirc, I think it's seeded in such a way that loading states mid-battle will lead to the same results every time unless you choose different actions, and with Omega you really can't afford to dick around for RNG manipulation.

There's some wonkiness to it. Sometimes when I'm using RNG fuckery to try and cheese something (typically if I'm going against a rare steal against an annoying enemy, like going for Dragon Lances against those Jura Aevis jerks), I can fudge the RNG just enough by doing things like going in and out of menus (which will keep time from ticking just enough if you're on Wait).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Supremezero posted:

It's just a normal (Superpowered) Knife.

A superpowered knife with a 25% chance of making you automatically Flee, unless you use it with a special command, such as !Mug, !Focus, !Jump, but NOT !Aim. If you've got a Ninja, putting a Twin Lance in the first hand and the CK in the second also prevents the Flee proc. It's good but not without drawbacks.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

mp5 posted:

I'm liking this new running gag

Apparently I missed a few things by only checking in like every couple of days, what's this gag about.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
FF5FJF 2019, Run 1, Advance Risk: White Mage / ZERK / Samurai / Cannoneer

White Mage already made this for an easy run, Cannoneer ended up being insult to injury.

I had to slowly plink my way through Omega, but since his React script ignored Vulner Cannon, the fight was a lot less hectic than it would be normally (granted, VC is only 1000 damage against this jerk's defenses, so it was a VERY slow fight, since I only had one Combiner at the time; I probably could've grinded up a second, but I'm pretty sure I only survived because I had two people on White Magic duty).

Shin and NED were cake, the former thanks to the usual Berserk + Blink nonsense (aided by Slow from Combine), and the latter falling to any status I could get on any of them with Combine and then Zeninage and Dragon Cannon out its collective wazoo. I think Cannoneer might actually be more busted than Chemist offensively.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So! I've been slowing down a bit on my fervor for this event after 6 years of it, and I'm concerned that I might not make my usual half-dozen or so runs. Thus, I decided the best way to make up for it is with a pledge of my own. And I was given a decent idea upon getting my Earth job in my second run.

Duplicate jobs (even the broken ones) are always kind of a bore, so let's make the most of it!

:toxx:
I hereby pledge to donate $2 on behalf of any player that complete a run with any duplicate jobs in any mode where it can happen (EXCEPT UPGRADE, I'm looking for honest luck-of-the-draw duplicates, though I'll also accept runs with dupes through the Job Fair), with a cap of $50. However, I'll add an extra $10 outside of the cap if any player completes a run with four of the same job (again, no Upgrade). I'd like to go with more, but sadly bills are kind of tight lately. But like Admiral Joeslop on his pledge, I may be willing to bump this number up if my finances improve before the last day of donations. Double up, people!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 27, 2019

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Oh, and I should note that I'll be sure to count myself if I fall short of 50 Duplicate Runners, so that's basically a free extra dollar for charity, WHOA.

In addition, I just checked the :toxx: list and discovered I unknowingly qualified for one of them, yaaaaaaaaaay!

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

I already posted my victory shots a few pages back, here's the link to that post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889977&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=35#post496197641

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

BisbyWorl posted:

Yes.

By skipping Excalipoor Greg never gets banished to the Void, meaning he won't be there for his final fight or Necrophobe interrupt.

If you aren't using Excalipoor, the last few bits of Genji gear, or the final save point, skipping the fight saves a bit of time.

Hell, even if you are using the last save point, it's a bit of saved time, since you can just rush down Necro's last 10k HP instead of sitting through Greg's final speech.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Personally I went with the forest area just after the town back when I did Quadzerks a few years back. It's a quick shot over to the healing pot, and the monsters there don't have any dangerous tricks (the Moss Fungus enemies can confuse, but hey, Zerks are immune to that! :v:). The only thing you have to worry about is the occasional poison, which might knock someone out if you're just mindlessly grinding encounters and aren't paying attention to the screen.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 2, Chaos: Thief / Chemist / ZERK / Chemist

Despite the presence of Chemist (and perhaps because there were two of them), this was a really slow team (slow despite the presence of Thief :v:). Needed a lot of farming obviously, but again, Chemist carries everything once it gets going, though Omega was a real piece of work since I needed to reapply 5 different buffs every time Delta Attack popped up or a Mustard Bomb caught someone weakened. Shin got Power Staffed and Dark Sighed, and NED went down to a team buffed to the gills (though I had to knock out Zerk for a while).

Also this stuff:

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.
I could've sworn there was still only 9 people on this, but I checked just now and some greedy charity-helping jerk got the last spot. Dammit. I only missed the deadline by like, a week! :negative:

(I'm just showing it off anyway because it took a good while to grab that second Rag before I knew I missed the cutoff, plus I'll probably just kick in the $5 myself for the hell of it)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

apophenium posted:

I think this run qualifies for Aerdan's funny name toxx, Ritznit's TC w/o Time, Chemist, Bard, or Beast toxx, and Bufuman's duplicate job toxx, provided any of said toxxes haven't been fulfilled yet.
Both noted!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I really should get Kyrosiris to update the :toxx: post so people know I'm doing one (also probably other people). Noting you anyway!

EDIT: Actually was your run a Forbidden or Fifth Job run? I wonder if I should add an exception for the former too. ...Eh, guess I can let them count.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 4, 2019

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 3, Pure Chaos: Mime / Knight / Red Mage / Dragoon

No Omega this time because meh.

I've been using the balance mod, which helped out a lot on the random stuff and bosses, but I decided to try playing without any of the mod's toys for Shin and NED, so it was pretty rough in both cases; Shin was mostly a sandbagging match until everyone died at least once, at which point Guard+Cover helped, aside from Mime ALSO having Cover (welp!) and occasionally taking bullets instead of my invincible Knight. NED was a bit of a slog since the spellcasting part could basically one-shot someone at will, Almagest was still a good bit of damage even after I Ancient Sworded it for Old, and it got off two Grand Crosses. But TACTICS prevailed!

Anyway next run is Random Fifth Job, starting out with White Mage again. I may just reroll this one if the All Jobs :toxx: is still up, gonna go check! EDIT: Whoops, Fifth Job makes this run ineligible for that one. Oh well.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 13, 2019

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
And speaking of toxxes, Nasgate, jaclynhyde, Kheldarn, and Poque's runs are all noted for the Duplicate Job one.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 4, Random Fifth Job: White Mage / Mystic Knight / Beastmaster / Samurai Blue Mage

Man, this was a fun team.

Calmlock and Thundaga Chicken Sword for Omega, Berserk + Blink for Shinryu, Wing Breath spam and defense magic for NED. Treedeath actually put up the toughest fight because I tried to rush him down and put him right in Meteor range, which he preceded to spam for 3 turns in a row while I scrambled to get everyone revived and healed before taking him down to NED phase (apparently he only has a 1/3 chance of Meteor and I just got unlucky three turns in a row).

Anyway I think I'm up for another Chaos run next.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

blakelmenakle posted:

I also learned of this random hole in the Barrier Tower 6th floor:

Just learned about that one about an hour ago myself. Why is that even there.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 5, Chaos: Samurai / Bard / Ninja / Black Mage

Oh man, the whole team was pretty solid but Bard just let them wreck everything. Omega was Romeolocked and Thunder Scrolled. Shin got the pseudo White Mage treatment with WW Berserk + !Image on everyone (with Apollo's Harp speeding things along). Treedeath had to sit through several minutes of four different songs (and the occasional Mighty March), but that let me kill NED in about 10 attacks with not a one from him. Didn't even need to Lamp the last part as usual because the last three parts went down simultaneously (Grand Cross piece went a bit early since Lenna took that harp to it).

Also I don't know if there was a :toxx: for this, but I saw a few other people doing it, so I figured I might as well join in: 0 Power Chicken Knife run! That should explain the high levels for those that were wondering, by the way.
Here's Ninja Faris (just before Treedeath) with only the knife, with her Legendary Weapon backing it up, and NED getting tickled by the CK hit and wondering what the hell (FYI this was before any song buffs but it was still hitting for 0 afterward).

Anyway probably gonna sleep on the next run before I decide what to run, might be Random again.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

rodbeard posted:

How do I actually use the fiesta mod? I googled for a random patching program and it just tells me invalid input.
Can of Worms lists two programs that work (complete with links) at the top of the changelog for his Balance Mod, both of which should work for either said mod or the Fiesta Patch.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g52xshu0juaa2c7/ffvamod-doc.txt?dl=0

Another user also listed a collection of patches from Worms that you might be interested in, including combinations of them (seems like only the Fiesta and Balance patches don't work together)
https://freki.aerdan.org/ff5a/

If you're still getting errors, make sure you're using an unaltered version of the US version of the GBA ROM (IFAIK the European version will not work for these, as noted in the first link).

FYI I used Tsukuyomi for the combined Balance/Sound/Portrait patch, and I have yet to see a single hiccup through three runs.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

fool_of_sound posted:

The hitboxes for patrolling monsters are... weird. They move faster than the sprite, for sure.

I remember one time I was trying to avoid Mecha Heads in the Pyramid (didn't want Lenna falling too far behind the exp curve) and somehow phased right through one of them. I still have no idea how I did it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

Sage Staff is great for grinding Dragon Fangs from Zombie Dragons.

This is why I only ever get like 20-30 when Drakenvale first becomes available and save the 99 Farming until after the first tablet whenever I have Chemist.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 6, Random: Monk / Summoner / Dancer / Geomancer

No Omega this time because forget sitting through Summoner casts of Ramuh/Odin while Omega counters all day (or waiting until Searches on a team with as lousy healing options as this).

Shin got the usual WW Berserk + Golem treatment (only managed to land one hit between Golems). NED couldn't do much against Golem and Carbuncle for the most part, though he did get one Almagest off that wiped everyone but Bartz (going for Catoblepas against that piece was probably a bad call, should've just damage raced it). Fortunately I got out one Phoenix Down and two Phoenix summons before much more could be done to my weakened team, and that piece bit the dust shortly thereafter. Rest of the battle went smoothly.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

Shinryu, yes since you can Zerk 'em and then spam Blink on your party.

Omega, probably not without a lot of levels, so high it's probably not worth it. White Mage helps with survivability, but you have no real damage options other than the rare times that the Berserker lands a hit with the Rune Axe or whatever.

Samurai crits are probably just about as reliable as Zerk axe swings :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
On the subject of that toxx, I have to ask, I know that Fifth Job doesn't count, but is that only for said fifth job, or all jobs in those runs? Asking because while there's only one job I haven't actually played this year, three of the others were on my Fifth Job run (one of which was the Fifth while the other two were my Water and Fire jobs), so if none of those count I'm gonna need a specific team for my final run to qualify for the toxx.

Which honestly won't be too much of a problem, Blue/Time/Mystic/Beast sounds like an OK team, if maybe a little lacking in pure physical prowess.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yeah, high-level Rapid Fires could work, maybe give your Zerk an Aegis Shield and hope most of the counters go their way.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 7, Popular: Black Mage / White Mage / Dancer / Ranger

No Omega, could probably grind out levels and Rapid-Fire him to death, but gently caress it.

You know the drill for Shin, Berserk/Blink. NED was actually a piece of work since this is a very, very fragile team even with White Mage.

Last run is going to have to be a specific team so I can qualify for the All Jobs toxx, so Blue/Time/Mystic/Beastmaster is gonna be my last one for the year.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 8, Chaos: Blue Mage / Mystic Knight / Time Mage / Beastmaster

This run started off with a good omen: I was actually assigned Time Mage (without having to Job Fair for it) for the first time in SIX YEARS that I've been doing the Fiesta. It took 45 drat runs to actually be given Time Magic instead of asking for it specifically, but it finally happened. :toot: Ironically I had to JF the other three classes away (originally assigned Zerk/Chemist/Dancer in those slots). So it goes!

This was another team I had some fun with, very solid all around and I can't recall a single boss giving me much difficulty. This group had a solution for pretty much everything.

Anyway, that's all I'm down for this year, actually one better than my usual total of 7. I mostly did this one to get this:

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

Run 1 (Advance Zerk Risk): White Mage, Zerk, and Samurai
Run 2 (Chaos): Thief and Chemist
Run 3 (Pure Chaos): Knight, Red Mage, and Dragoon
Run 4 (Random Fifth Job): Ineligible due to Fifth Job
Run 5 (Chaos): Bard, Ninja, and Black Mage
Run 6 (Random): Monk, Summoner, Dancer, and Geomancer (donated $8 to get the first three)
Run 7 (Popular): Ranger (donated $5)
Run 8 (Chaos): Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Time Mage, Beastmaster (donated $10 to get all but Time Mage)

All 20 regular jobs, $23 in total donated for Fairs. Fun times! And with that, I'm out for the season. See y'all next year!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Oh, and while I'm thinking of toxxes, I need to discuss mine

Bufuman posted:

:toxx:
I hereby pledge to donate $2 on behalf of any player that complete a run with any duplicate jobs in any mode where it can happen (EXCEPT UPGRADE, I'm looking for honest luck-of-the-draw duplicates, though I'll also accept runs with dupes through the Job Fair), with a cap of $50. However, I'll add an extra $10 outside of the cap if any player completes a run with four of the same job (again, no Upgrade). I'd like to go with more, but sadly bills are kind of tight lately. But like Admiral Joeslop on his pledge, I may be willing to bump this number up if my finances improve before the last day of donations. Double up, people!

I haven't exactly been keeping a keen eye out, so here's who I have so far, if you've had duplicate jobs and aren't on this list, let me know. I'll probably comb through the thread sometime before donations are due just in case.

Myself (two Chemists)
Archenteron (QUADZERKS! $10 additional donation)
apophenium (two Mystic Knights)
ssmagus (two Ninjas)
Nasgate (two Thieves)
jaclynhyde (QUADZERKS!)
Kheldarn (two Samurais)
Poque (four Black Mages)

Either way not as many people on it as I would've thought. I guess these kinds of things are best thought up first rather than later. But I actually have a good idea for one next year, so hopefully that'll turn out better.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 19, 2019

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Close enough to the end, so I'm calling my :toxx: pretty much done, if anyone was planning on completing a duplicate job run before the end of the season, sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I probably could've gone hunting for runs that did it before I announced my toxx, but :effort:

I do have an idea for a toxx next year though, so I can propose that one before things actually kick off next year instead of after several people have already done a run or two (or several).