Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've always done GBA because shoot me, I actually prefer the way it did the music for the game, and Quicksave manipulation is quite handy. I don't hate the SNES version but I guess I am in support of the most official version of the game that isn't for mobile devices. It also gave me quite the squeak of joy when doing Forbidden last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Enkibot has been a great resource while playing with new classes to see which fun dumb strategies you can use against most bosses.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Forbidden not being tied to the GBA jobs is interesting. I liked that having it be forced to use one meant that without a mod, you had to balance three jobs instead of four for the entire game which was really interesting. I don't know if RegAdvance will guarantee an advance job so I don't know if that kind of element will be exactly replicable again.

I might have been in the minority in liking that though. Ah well. I'll probably do something more normal if that's how it's going to go.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

agradine posted:

That team also has Knight, so I think they're well covered

:v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Since my last party was very magically focused I think I'm going to do a no750 registration. I never risk, but the zerk could show up anyway, so we'll see. Always excited for FFV every year even if I only barely do one run!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

My hardest doable Omega so far was probably last year where due to Forbidden I was rolling with only Dragoon, Blue Mage, and Oracle. While Blue Mage was essential to actually surviving past the first round (Mighty Guard and White Wind all day), I had to rely on Trident Jumps to get the most out of my damage, and I had to eat those counterattacks quite a bit. Oracle could plink away with Cleansing without fear of counterattack but that damage was low and unreliable. After a fair bit of grinding I managed to get the lucky run in.

I wasn't able to beat Omega on my run two years ago with Red Mage White Mage Chemist and Geomancer, seems like. Couldn't find a way to do reasonable amounts of damage or survive super well. Here's hoping for a successful triple crown this year.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Doom Goon posted:

Looks like #stream is coming back and working a bit differently!

I feel like I'm missing some context as to how the command worked originally. The blog post says to "SEND THIS" but never says what "THIS" is. Is it #stream? Do I just send it by itself and then it somehow resolves it, or opens up a part of the site that lets me put info in? Do I only send it while I'm streaming or can it accept my account at any time? Does my twitch url have to be included in a tweet?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm not sure why the countdown timer still says five days because the Run is scheduled for Sunday. I guess RK just doesn't have much confidence in his runners.

Better for the timer to be inaccurate in the future than in the past, otherwise people get antsy with WHERE JOBS TIMER AT ZERO

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

1234567890num posted:

Got THF/RDM/BST/CHM crew for my first run. I never used them much before, so this should be interesting.

Bit of a rough start, but grinding Dark Matter is an absolute joke. Looking forward to finally trying out :science: for myself.

Am I correct in assuming that this is basically a free triple crown? How exactly does !Calm works?

Calm inflicts Stop. It's supposed to only do it on beasts, but due to a bug in GBA affects everything that isn't beasts, including Omega since he's a robot. It wears off quickly but with three of your party members spamming the command you'll keep the guy locked down and then all you need to do is be able to hurt the guy.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Check your info on the fiesta page. Gilga won't tweet at you with your wind job anymore, nor does #wind do anything.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The one time I got Kaiser Knuckles from that trap encounter I also had a Samurai so I could actually use it and let the Samurai Masamune-Haste the Monk instead. It worked pretty well!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I have vivid memories of playing FF5 on ZSNES and using a cheat that gave the basic nutkin encounter 255 AP. I think you can still run into those guys in the Jachol Cave in both world 1 and 3.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

The iron draft trick will come in handy, thanks. Although considering my team's HP isn't even at 2000, mighty guard can only do so much against some of his attacks.

You won't be surviving Mustard Bomb but everything else is doable with Mighty Guard up. Not to mention the Earth Shakers that can come out being completely nullfied. Most of the big damage will be from Wave Cannon and Missile halving your HP and as long as you're on top of your White Winds you can take it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

derra posted:

Also I thought I was really smart using my Shuriken + Flame Scroll to capture a Dhorne Chimera .... but then I realized, why don't I just use Water Scrolls on Sandworm anyway : P

Cause Sandworm isn't weak to water! It's weak to Aqua Rake though because it's effective against desert dwellers specifically.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Dildo Malone posted:

having to look at a guide to find what boss is weak to what specific beast attack and then having the zerk kill the monster before it can be captured a thousand times is An Experience

Killing your own Berserker is a valid strategy.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

What level should I be before attempting Liquid Flame with quadzerks? As a follow-up, which place should I be getting EXP?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

jaclynhyde posted:

I want to say I was around 20? It took a few tries, but I think I just ground levels in the fire ship for that. After that when I was grinding for sandworm, I went by Istory. The mini dragons give a ton of XP, and you'll get enough money to buy Flame Rings to negate their worst attacks. (And coral rings, and angel rings...)

20 doesn't seem so bad, I'll try around then. Thankfully once I get the fire crystal I won't have to worry, since Pure Chaos gave me Ninja for my Wind job. Playing unmodded games has its own charm I think.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Finished a second run this year for once! I wanted to try Pure Chaos to see if it would give me something nutty and weird. Instead, I got a Wind job, Water job, Fire job, and Earth job. :shepface:

Though my Fire job was first and my Wind job was third, that was still kind of annoying. I wanted CHAOS. Next time I hope it goes better, though I don't know if I'll play it again this year. If I do it'll be near the tail end.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I feel like they have the same encounter tables actually.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Beating Liquid Flame with a Zerk party that has single-digit solo survivor is a Fiesta tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924377 new thread for 2020 ahoy