Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mineaiki posted:

I think "getting into meal prep" turns it into this huge, ugly, time-intensive task that it doesn't have to be. At least not at first. Chances are, if you're making a meal at home, you're going to end up with leftovers. That's your lunch at work. Soups and stews make for a ton of leftovers. Make some chili.

One thing that helped me was making something I knew how to make and kind of liked, and steadily deepening my involvement in the process each time I made it. So like spaghetti is just dry noodles and sauce from a jar. But then another time, I cook meat and/or vegetables separately and fold them into the sauce, making it more my own. Next, I forgo sauce from a jar and make my own sauce with canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Next, try doing the same with mostly (or all, but it takes longer) fresh tomatoes. Then try making your own pasta. And so on. Last night we made spaghetti and meatballs in marinara sauce and we made all of the components from scratch (note: I am spending a lot more on nice tomatoes than I should be, maybe don't jump into this first). I would have regarded that as an impossible task not one year ago.

Just going to jump on that last point. The economies of scale in mass food production mean that making some things from scratch is more expensive than just buying them. Frozen pizzas with toppings are probably cheaper than making them yourself (either way is hilariously cheaper than ordering delivery).

Compare costs whenever you’re looking at making something from scratch vs buying ready off the shelf. It’s a giant PITA, but that’s sort of where you’re at.

Some fruit and vegetables are hilariously cheap. They’re also filling, good for you, and aren’t difficult to prepare. Typically, grocers will charge you extra for very minor prep work (cutting a melon, de-husking corn, etc) — they also sell produce unworked. Don’t pay them extra to pre-prep your produce and make it spoil faster. At my local grocer, de-husked corn is more than 2x the cost of locally sourced sweet corn with the husk.

If you have a friend that’s good at cooking, ask them to teach you how to hold and use a knife. It’s not difficult, but also not intuitive. Failing a friend, look at some YT vids or something. Last thing you need is an ER trip from a slipped knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU