Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Honestly it would be cheaper if you just gave up drugs and stuck to what is obviously alcoholism for the time being.

And yeah, are those groceries for the whole three-month period, or are you spending that much at the grocery store per month?

As for cooking, the best method to get into it is just practice. Commit to cooking 6 nights a week at least. Crock pot or no. Start with something simple. Eventually, you'll be so used to it that it will feel normal, like putting on your clothes in the morning, instead of a huge chore. On weekends (if you still have those, with two jobs), cook something more work-intensive, as a fun activity with your wife and children. Go shopping with them and pick out the ingredients and explain why you need them. This has the benefit of helping your kids avoid the same mistake in their futures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I think "getting into meal prep" turns it into this huge, ugly, time-intensive task that it doesn't have to be. At least not at first. Chances are, if you're making a meal at home, you're going to end up with leftovers. That's your lunch at work. Soups and stews make for a ton of leftovers. Make some chili.

One thing that helped me was making something I knew how to make and kind of liked, and steadily deepening my involvement in the process each time I made it. So like spaghetti is just dry noodles and sauce from a jar. But then another time, I cook meat and/or vegetables separately and fold them into the sauce, making it more my own. Next, I forgo sauce from a jar and make my own sauce with canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Next, try doing the same with mostly (or all, but it takes longer) fresh tomatoes. Then try making your own pasta. And so on. Last night we made spaghetti and meatballs in marinara sauce and we made all of the components from scratch (note: I am spending a lot more on nice tomatoes than I should be, maybe don't jump into this first). I would have regarded that as an impossible task not one year ago.