Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

old thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532967

it's been a long time but the service is finally officially dying, email just sent to devs:

OUYA & Razer Forge TV Services Shutdown

Dear Developer,

We would like to inform you that the Forge TV Games store and OUYA service will cease operations on 6-25-2019.

This email serves as notice of termination of the Marketplace Agreement, in accordance with section 9 of the agreement, with effect on 5-25-2019.

Thank you for the support which you have extended us these past years. It has been a privilege to have worked with you and to have had you as part of our community.

Best Regards,
The Razer Team

FAQ: https://support.razer.com/console/razer-forge-tv/

quote:

Why is Forge TV/OUYA shutting down?
The Forge TV, OUYA, and MadCatz MOJO game stores are no longer being supported, and therefore will be shut down.

When does the Forge TV/OUYA service shut down?
The services will shut down on June 25, 2019.

What happens to my Forge TV hardware?
The hardware will still function. You will still be able to use it as you would any Android TV set top box.

Will the Forge TV iOS or Android apps still function?
Yes, they will operate the Forge TV device normally.

What happens to my funds?
Please note that your account or wallet funds are not permitted to be redeemed for use outside of the Forge TV / OUYA / MadCatz MOJO services, have no cash value and are not exchangeable for cash. Funds that are deemed unclaimed property may be turned over to the applicable authority. So, we encourage you to utilize your account funds prior to the shutdown.

What happens to my account?
Your account will be deactivated on June 25, 2019. After this date, you will no longer be able to access your account, games on the server, previously purchased titles, or be able to purchase new ones. You will continue to have access to games that have been downloaded. Users should download games before June 25, 2019 to avoid losing access after the shutdown.

Will I still be able to play games on OUYA?
You will be able to play games via the OUYA platform until June 25, 2019. Once it has been shut down, access to the Discover section will no longer be available. Games downloaded that appear in Play, may still function if they do not require a purchase validation upon launch. Contact the game developer for confirmation.

Will the games be available on another platform?
Each game is managed by the developer and availability will vary. Once the platform shuts down, the games will no longer be available via OUYA. For Forge TV and MadCatz MOJO, you will still have access to the Google Play store, as well as other platforms. After the shutdown the developer may choose to activate the game on another platform. If you have further questions, contact the developer directly.

What will happen to the websites?
The websites will be disabled and non-accessible.
save the games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
the Stradivarius of controllers.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
A lot

A lot

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Who was that goon that was ALL-IN on the Ouya. Fun times.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What a weird footnote this is. Tried to be an console for small and indie games, but was basically made redundant by the time it came out when basically every other service was courting small and indie games.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who was that goon that was ALL-IN on the Ouya. Fun times.

Xbox pants or something like that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

What a weird footnote this is. Tried to be an console for small and indie games, but was basically made redundant by the time it came out when basically every other service was courting small and indie games.

it really didn't help that by the time it came out literal phones had more computing power, storage space and hardware support.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Good old thread memories, and this is an interesting footnote.

It really was the first of the "Android game console" fad. At least I think it was the first one Kickstarted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

longer lifecycle than the dreamcast

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

what the gently caress is a razer forge

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Andrast posted:

what the gently caress is a razer forge
i looked at the ouya store last week for egs comparisons and didn't see that mentioned

razer bought them out years ago but the site didn't look any different than a couple of months after launch when they finally made a storefront

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

longer lifecycle than the dreamcast

It's pretty remarkable that Ouya lasted this long

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fredrik1 posted:

It's pretty remarkable that Ouya lasted this long

Same; I thought it was p.much dead on arrival. Oh well, the threads provided more entertainment than the console ever could.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Gotta give em a nod of respect. Everyone warned em this would be a dumpster fire. But they plowed ahead and shipped that dumpster fire in a slapdash and poorly done manner like everything else.

And that's still better than Star Citizen...ahh hindsight.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I love the television

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Drunk Theory posted:

Gotta give em a nod of respect. Everyone warned em this would be a dumpster fire. But they plowed ahead and shipped that dumpster fire in a slapdash and poorly done manner like everything else.

And that's still better than Star Citizen...ahh hindsight.

Nah, SC is still chugging along and will continue to for years.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

rest in piss

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Azubah posted:

Nah, SC is still chugging along and will continue to for years.

Well, I meant from a shipping a product standpoint. SC will live on for another decade or more.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

redtube

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

e3 wouldn't let kids into the convention because they were wearing ouya tshirts

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Azubah posted:

Xbox pants or something like that.

He also worked for a website that did Ouya news and reviews, I hope he didn't die or something when Ouya flopped

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I suppose we'll never learn the secret of universe alpha.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sam Faust posted:

I suppose we'll never learn the secret of universe alpha.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
so much for a barkley 2 port

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I wonder what Julie Uhrman is doing, I asked myself.

Playboy Hires Founder of Failed Ouya Console to Create New Products

Oh, okay. :capitalism:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
smurf trout eat the eggs

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
We'll always have Halleouya at least.
https://soundcloud.com/dewgstrom/halleouya

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
xboxpants get in here, we gotta pick out a cake and candles

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
My favorite part of the saga was the free the games fund where they would match your intake if you make an exclusive game and fund it through Kickstarter and it was very quickly used by scammers. Also the gridiron thunder got into arguments with the backers and threatened to sue them. Even in the SA thread there was some guy connected to the company and was like “nah guys this game is totally legit”.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
ouya.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

DalaranJ posted:

I wonder what Julie Uhrman is doing, I asked myself.

Playboy Hires Founder of Failed Ouya Console to Create New Products

Oh, okay. :capitalism:

Oh, that's why Playboy is failing too. Well, that and the fact that they thought people were serious when they said that they bought Playboy for the articles.

The most fun with the Ouya was "redtube" and the one guy from Mega64 pissing on one.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ

i still have mine sitting on a shelf to remind me that i make bad purchasing decisions

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
That horrible ad was so perfect. Just insult your audience right away.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 24, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The games are finally free.

Good night, sweet prince.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Was XBMC ever ported to the thing in the end? Also fun times with people bricking their consoles by turning on Airplane mode.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I lovingly remember walking past multiple ouyas taking up shelf space for like $20 at my local Target about 3 or so years ago, what a magical time that was

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nVidia shield got zelda

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Insert gif of that dancing guy from the original Ouya "squatting in a parking lot outside of E3" reveal.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLIBA4oE2g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Was digging through the old OUYA thread and was wondering, did the engraved consoles EVER get sent out? One of the KS backer rewards was to have your username or whatever engraved into your console, but since the backer consoles were sent out so late Uhrman told people that the engraved versions would come later. However, I can't actually find any proof that that actually happened. I know there were some sent out that had a big list of various names engraved on them, but that was a different backer tier.

Also, the latest I could find proof of someone finally receiving their KS backer console was in Aug 2013, five months after the originally promised delivery date lol.

e: for the rest of you who also enjoy digging through old threads, here's the second (goldmined) thread. Unfortunately I don't have the link to the first thread, which is archived and gently caress looking through archives.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 9, 2019