Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you live outside the US the store may not work for you. You can fix this by lying and telling the store you live somewhere in the US. I recommend 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago, IL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

The following are the fixes/changes made for the 1.01 update:
Aircraft maintenance cost in main screen will now update when a squadron is added or disbanded in the air groups screen.
Fixed unreachable invasion target at Rhodes.
Sunk ships will no longer repair aircraft.
Fixed a bug with display of hangar side armour.
Fixed display of ship speed in nation data ship lists.
Slightly increased ready and spotting times of aircraft
Stopped some erratic course changes at start of battle.
Prevented building of airbases in the base overview screen until airbases are invented.
Map flags are now updated when a nation changes government type.
Removed automatic scrapping of old Corvettes.
The design board of the AI nations now also demand guns on their first carrier.
Misidentified ships will now not be revealed in the ship data card.
If twin DP guns is invented, then basic DP guns will be unlocked as well.
Fixed a bug with CL sometimes being built with features ahead of their time by the AI in a 1900 start.
If the first carrier is below 20000 tons, the design board will only demand 6 in guns.
Fixed a bug with torpedo hits not being credited to air formations.
Prevented bulging of ships below 2500 tons.
Fixed erroneous hints in rebel support event.
Added text in battle map if weather prevents floatplane or air ops.
The eccentric scientist will now be less eccentric, i.e. he will not invent things in tech areas that are not even known.
When aircraft prototypes are offered, only the three latest non-obsolete types of the same role will be shown for comparison.
Fixed an error in in CheckDarknessApproachingBase procedure.
Surprised airbases will not launch strikes, not even at other airbases.
No reminder about air group for museum ships.
Cancelling invasion target will not change ASW or submarine policy display.

Patch notes for the 1.01

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So in another installment of “how did they not test this?” the historical budget tickbox is broken and doesn’t do anything. Everyone has game budgets all the time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sheep posted:

I love how even the registration and purchasing system for this game is grognardy as hell.

Is there any way to see what the limitations any current in force arms treaties are?

If you hover the mouse over the part that tells you how much longer the treaty will be in force, a tooltip will tell you what the limits are.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah as far as I know the national traits are unchanged from the first one so poor education should affect crew training generally, which may be linked to signal errors (I’m honestly not sure)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

They really need to add other options to peace deals. Like, reparations or the ability to demand ships.

It's frustrating to fight a good war and be just short of enough points to demand any colonies. Or like, I just beat up Austria and stole Dalmatia. Now like, what's the point of beating them up if there's nothing less to demand in a deal? I guess other than the fun of just dunking on Austria.

This is in, it’s just opaque and not documented. Any points that don’t go to getting colonies boost your national resources because of war reparations, and if you win a war hard enough you can take enemy ships as payment in kind.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s probably zero way to make this work in-game but yeah I wish there was a way to do something like declare the secondary armament to now be the primary when converting to a carrier

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Let's try ruling the waves as France... if we can.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh, just in case anyone was wondering about jets

garrisonchisholm posted:

Good evening everyone- we thought we should let everyone know how jets currently sit with the game. We had discussed a 'flag' or 'tech' advancement to highlight it, but given we are talking about navy jets most likely on carriers, once we allow that distinction then there is a host of complexity taken into things in ways that might not be obvious- in short, jets just need more room.

So at the moment there is no indicator that an aircraft is a prop or jet, however, any craft that can make 400+ knots can be safely considered to be a jet. This might seem arbitrary but there is only one notable example of prop naval aircraft which could make 400 knots.

This is something we are talking about internally, and it is relatively likely that more developments will come forward in a later patch.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah I also have the problem of unarmed CVLs because I can’t figure out how to install new primary guns but you can’t have secondaries when there’s no primary

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you haven’t bought the game yet, by the way, the $5 discount/refund for owners of the first game is only available for purchases made before June 30th.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Splode posted:

Is there a way to actually order a torpedo attack? I've sent my destroyers in to torpedo attack the enemy line a few times and they never fire any, and then sink. I am slowing them down to do it, but I'm not sure how slow I need to go.

I wish I could say there was a trick to this but with early destroyers it’s hard to guarantee anything. Later in the game when you have destroyers with six or more tubes firing to each side and longer-ranged torpedoes, it gets much better.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gort posted:

If we're going for the cheapest possible ship for trade protection (which I assume is optimal, nobody said anything when I asked if their capabilities matter) then a 600-ton corvette is an inferior choice to a 500-ton destroyer, though, isn't it?

I think it diverges as time goes by because of some math to do with equipment weight but I’m honestly not sure. I’d have to test it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s at least intended that cruisers on TP have a higher chance to intercept than cruisers on AF.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TehKeen posted:

Does anyone know what the letters mean for torpedo-equipped planes? My best guess is H means a Torpedo uses 'heavy' range and later torp tech effectively increases the range with that payload to medium and light categories but I wasn't sure.

Yes, you have it right. The letter tells you which of the plane’s load outs (light, medium, heavy) enable it to carry a torpedo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grumio posted:

Is there a guide to ship design? I feel reasonably well-versed in naval history, but when faced with this game I don't know what constitutes "good" design for armour thickness, guns, number of turrets, etc.

Is the strategy just to look at enemy ships and design something that can penetrate their armour while being impervious to their fire?

For Bs and BBs/BCs, yes. Gets a little more complex with CAs/CLs/DDs. You can start by autogenerating designs and tweaking them to get what you're looking for.

We should do a more comprehensive writeup of "how to ship design"--I don't have time right now but I could see about it this weekend. :)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TehKeen posted:

Wait, you can buy foreign aircraft??

Yep. I forget the exact instructions to do this but you have to pull up the spreadsheet of foreign aircraft and right-click, then select “buy”

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gort posted:

Are you being killed by torpedoes, mostly?

That might indicate you need to keep your distance more with your big ships.

Anyone know how to get the range indicators to work? I click the button and nothing happens.

Which range indicators do you mean?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Historically, box protection was only used in situations where armor wasn’t a priority. I wouldn’t use it on a BB unless I felt like I really had to.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mister Bates posted:

if broadsides were good enough for 1702 they're good enough for 1902

At this point why not casemate secondaries?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can. Only works for some turret positions; you just set the number of guns/turret to 0.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
From a purely long-term powergaming perspective you should always windmill slam railroads when you get the option. It increases your national resources, of which the naval budget is a varying fraction.

If anyone’s curious about historical designs then in addition to Wikipedia the auto-design actually is your friend; the game is pre-loaded with templates based on ships of the period. The AI normally generates ships by taking these templates and modifying them to fit their current tech level and needs. They can also copy your designs.

As far as refits go, fire control is always worth upgrading. Other stuff can be worth it as long as you keep an eye on costs—upgrading guns and replacing machinery can help keep a ship relevant for longer, but you weigh that against the possibility of building a whole new ship, which is always going to be more capable. As far as AA goes, what I’ve found myself doing is ordering whatever refit I’m looking for and then jamming in as much AA as I can fit in the leftover tonnage.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

NOTE: With this update it might be best to start a new game due to certain changes made...

hoping this just means “if you’ve already gotten to aircraft”

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Looks like a batch of refunds went out—I just got mine.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can activate it on two PCs at once, no problem

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, ships can still be reparations in RtW2.

On the forums people have asked about more complicated treaties to match the historical ones, but the devs have said it’s a low priority.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I do think the battle generator is annoying re: CVs and the weather, yeah. It would feel better sometimes if it just didn’t give you the carriers during bad weather

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

YodaTFK posted:

I never played the original, but I'm assuming colonies have an actual economic value? Do they contribute more or less than reparations? Playing as England and having half of my navy stashed all over the world is getting tedious and I don't want to add more unless it's actually worth it.

Colonies do have value, you can check this by clicking on them or looking in the Almanac. But their long-term value is less than getting national resource increases because colonial resources aren’t affected by the “industrialization” and “railroads” events. So 1 point of national resources is actually 1*X where X is your current national resource modifier. Also remember that the value of colonies is reduced by the fact that ships on foreign stations have increased maintenance costs.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So I'm pretty sure there's an accuracy penalty in-game for trying to shoot at a DD with guns bigger than 5 or 6 inches, but I can't find it in the manual or the forums errata. Does anyone know what the mechanic is?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Playing as Britain requires more management than other countries, you’re not wrong. Figuring out your tonnage requirements and how to meet them with a pencil and a piece of paper works for me and also feels like it represents the guys in London sitting around trying to figure out the sheer logistics of an empire that size.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

It's one of the reasons I don't play GB, so I'm probably not the best advice-giver. Have you ever tried the "colonial aviso" route? (Disclaimer: I have only done so in RTW1.) An 800-ton MS/KE with colonial service counts as a nice round 1000. I think TP status counts for garrison purposes in wartime, so you could just bulk-switch from FS to TP.

Yes, this is a fun point I messed up recently--though the manual says colonial service is a +50% modifier, it's actually just +25%.

I've done avisos. They're fine. I made them strong enough to stave off light cruisers but not too expensive to miss. I haven't tried them in RtW2 either so I don't know if they're viable once planes exist.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
:siren:

WARNING: A HUGE ENEMY IS APPROACHING

Somebody on the NWS forums has figured out how to trick the game into letting you build hybrid BBCVs. They’re treated as CVLs in game and behave accordingly under AI control.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Caconym posted:

What does "long lange" actually do in game? Is there any reason to not go medium range for everything larger than a destroyer? Maybe if you assign a raider to a sea zone where you have no basing?
Also where is the vaunted "flotilla attack" button, I can't get my destroyers to not hide behind the battle line even at knife range at night.

Long range is for raiders and makes them less likely to get the “raider runs out of fuel and is interned/has to scuttle” event.

Flotilla attack is in the division panel during battle—right-click the division name iirc. The button looks like several small ships together.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I forgot a step. Right click the division->Status and you should see the correct window with the button for it. I’m on my phone or I’d provide the right screenshots. You’ll know you’ve done it right when there’s a black flag on the left side of the battle screen.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
1.15 notes:

quote:

THE FOLLOWING ARE THE CHANGES/FIXES FOR THE 1.15 UPDATE:

Small carriers that cannot operate fast aircraft effectively will not have such aircraft types assigned to them.
Limited the number of main guns on a ship to 20.
Limited the total number of secondary and tertiary guns on a ship to 32.
Allowed AMC with up to 25 knots speed after 1925. To simulate building a converted liner carrier like Hiyo or Junyo, build a 10000 ton 25 knot AMC, then convert to carrier.
Tweaked the weights of AMC hulls and engines to make CV conversions more reasonable.
Added air group summary to ship description.
The Navy will now be consulted before colonies are granted independence
Added option for unit machinery. Lowers the chance of engines disabled damage event.
Air units on carriers undergoing rebuild will not lose experience unless the refit is halted (this is to prevent misuse).
Added another air base for Russia/Soviet Union at Peterhof.
Increased maintenance costs from 1950 and onwards. This is to reflect that maintaining large fleets and air forces were increasingly unsustainable in the 50s and 60s.
Added a new battle type: Carrier Battle. Carrier battles can occur if both sides have carriers and there is enough sea room.
Added current flooding after reduces flooding message in ships log.
Added current fire level after fire limited message in ships log.
Slightly increased damage from multiple torpedo hits
Added Role to air attack messages
Having too many submarines under construction risks production delays.
Aircraft types under development are shown for comparison when a private venture is evaluated.
Cumulative air kills and bomb hits for air units are now tracked (reset after a war is over).
Air units can gain permanent elite status. These air units will remain better than other air units.
Added notice if friendly units think they are spotted by enemy aircraft.
Adjusted HAA factor calculations to limit very large numbers of heavy AA guns.
Added equipment flaws that can be discovered in wartime. For example faulty torpedoes or AP shells.
Reduced the chance of inventing Bombentorpedo to 10% (the Germans have it as bonus tech though, so will always have it).
Raised the cost of buying aircraft licenses and allowed poorer nations to buy when tension is lower than 4.
Search planes now do a dogleg at the end of their search vector.
Added a new key shortcut for moving ships easily. Pressing M in the main window ships in service screen will bring up a menu with all the map areas. Clicking an area in the list will set the destination of all selected ships to that area, regardless of current location.
Also added other key shortcuts for selected ships: C > cancel move, A > active, T > Trade protection, F > Foreign station.
When readied torpedo bombers stand down, the torpedoes will be returned and not lost.
Oil fired destroyers now have a smaller risk of missing a battle due to range to base.
Improved AI strategic movement.

Introduced Carrier trained property for air units:

* Only carrier capable air units can be based on carriers.
* Carrier trained air units cannot number more than 150% of the air capacity of existing carriers in wartime, 120% in peace or 110% if elite pilots.
* Carrier capable air units cost 150% of the maintenance of other air units.
* Carrier capable air units must be defined as such when they are created, they cannot be converted later.
* They can be created on bases, in the reserve or on carriers.

Fixed a bug where the wrong nation could be mentioned in the ship fate when sunk in a gunnery duel with a submarine.
Fixed a calculation bug that gave ships of exactly 5000 tons greater horsepower requirements than intended.
Fixed a bug with the fuel shortage notice remaining after a war.
Fixed a bug with bulging giving too good protection against torpedoes.
Fixed an error message that popped up when requesting CAP and no airbases exist.
Fixed a bug with invasion ranges sometimes being mis-calculated.
Fixed some problems with invasion battles status "sticking".
Fixed a bug with some very large battles generating an error on loading a saved game.
Fixed a counting error of submarines under construction.
Fixed a bug with enemy nations intercepting player raiders running the blockade.

The thing about carrier squadrons is interesting.

Apparently they also added the Qing Dynasty as a playable nation.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
1.16 is out

quote:

THE FOLLOWING ARE THE CHANGES/FIXES FOR THE 1.16 UPDATE:

Note: This release includes an extensively updated manual, now over 100 pages with some illustrations. The manual is located in the "Manuals" sub-folder.

Revised the turn order for the strategic turn. Turn order is now:
- Strategic ship move
- Battle occurs
- Raider and submarine warfare
- Game provides notifications of events, process completions, technologies, etc.
- War breaks out.
- Surprise attack battles (if any).
- Design studies finished and option to rework design.
- Player strategic turn - player acts, building ships, making strategic level decisions etc.

Note that this gives the player time to adjust ship status when a war starts. Previously wars were a bit too sudden.
This also fixes the problem with reworking design studies.

Added option to force battle end with some losses (click exit battle button).
Effect of autoloaded AA guns on HAA factor now shown in build screen.
If an aircraft type with no bombs on M range is given NStrike mission, H load is automatically selected.
Selected target on the airstrike screen is cleared between scenarios.
There should now be no 1 strength air squadron fragments.
Decreased the probability that oil fired destroyers will miss a battle due to range to base.
Aircraft on the map will show better at all zoom levels.
If you move the mouse pointer over an air formation on the map when the game is paused, you will see an enlarged view of that air formation in the inset view.
Added select ready button in setup airstrike screen.
Modified formatting in log file for easier readability.
Added air group info to the map details screen.
Restricted carrier flight activity when enemy is in sight to prevent them turning into the wind in unhealthy directions.
Ships in reserve or mothballed will now not have engine problems.
Added more fleet size options. This may change the name of your current fleet size in ongoing games (e.g. a game started as medium will now be called small).
Limited AV to 14000 tons.
Added warning when HAA ammo of a ship goes below 50%.
Coastal artillery batteries now have 360 degree arc of fire for main guns (This is a bit generous and a simplification, but the previous arcs were too restrictive).
There is now a chance that coastal artillery batteries will have radar.
Fixed a bug with aircraft cruise speed in rare cases exceeding max speed.
Fixed a bug with 7 in coastal batteries having 8 in guns.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If a ship has been damaged, you can right click on its name in the left-hand panel and click “detach” to send it back to the nearest friendly port, though it may weave around a bit and reattach to the main fleet so it doesn’t always work smoothly.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was going to be frustrated since I was waiting for that and had just given up and started doing some playing for my LP again last night, but it looks like they didn’t fix the turns not advancing bug anyway

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If anyone’s interested, apparently you can mess around a bit with the text files to enable SSMs as well.

https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/4828/experimenting-ssms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The only scenario where I’ll build a ship with quality -1 guns is where I’m betting I’ll research the quality 0 of the same caliber later, and I want to swap them out once that happens.