Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Does anyone remember what the game in development using what looks like a modified GNBNA engine was called? I cannot remember for the life of me.

Also, I wish that AI nations would go to war with each other. That would make this game a lot more dynamic. I had the same complaint with the original RTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

HisMajestyBOB posted:

It's probably just me, but I don't really see the appeal of having the AI fight. You'd just get notifications that nations X and Y have lost some ships and something changes hands, but nothing directly involving the player.

Well, the AI fighting leads to territory changing hands, enables world wars potentially, I mean it could really open up the game a lot.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Sorry for the double post, but I just spent half of my evening last night playing the 1920 Germany start for the first time. This is definitely RTW2 on hard mode. Even if you start the game with 'very large' fleets, you get a tiny fleet and huge building restrictions unless you are lucky enough to get the 'fascist coup' and 'repudiate peace treaty' events pretty quick.

I really tried to rebuild as quickly as possible, while keeping the peace as best I can. This led to me having a dangerously low prestige, until eventually I got the 'Great Britain blows up your ship in port' event, which, given my prestige of 15, I had to respond to with 'this means war!' or the game was over.

So now I am fielding a navy with some old rebuild pre-dreads, 4 rebuilt CAs, 2 new CAs, 2 new CLs, and 20 or so mixed old/new destroyers in a war against Great Britain. Of course, just in Northern Europe Great Britain has 13 BBs and 4 BCs. Meaning, I am definitely blockaded and I really, really have to pick my fights.

Which all reminds me that this is the other thing AI wars might enable--treaties that limit the ships a country can field post-major war, ships handed over as war reparations, etc.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
So I downloaded 1.07 (I had been running 1.05) and got a single ship as ‘reparations’ at the end of a single war I barely won, then in the next three was despite even greater victories (VP wise) and forcing the governments of my opponents to collapse, never got another ship as reparations again.

Also, I am going to bitch about the number of battles that get generated involving my CVs that start at dusk or in terrible weather. Seriously, how am I supposed to engage enemy battlecruiser raiding forces with CVs when this sort of poo poo happens. I basically just have to sit there and keep my distance without being able to do anything.

Lastly, any advice on the use of battleships during the late game? Even when I get a night battle it seems like I eat a lot of torpedos fires blindly (at radar contacts I suppose), which makes using them difficult at best.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Has anyone used the AI wars mod?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

vyelkin posted:

Curious, has anyone done the math to figure out what the break-even point is for refurbishing old ships versus letting them stay old? I know the (O) status increases maintenance cost, so is doing a ten-year overhaul with the minimum rebuild cost cheaper than just paying the increased maintenance, or is the increased maintenance low enough that even the cheapest rebuild never breaks even?

Nope, but my take is rather utilitarian. I look at costs for reconstruction, then compare the hull to what I could get power wise out of a new hull, and weigh that against the cost + increased build time of a new hull. Finally I look at my budget.

It turns out that often the cost of replacing small his too great, so once I hit about 900 tons on a destroyer, I end up keeping those hulls a long time.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Saros posted:

http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/3380/release-historical-legacy-fleet-start

There's a mod where you start with the historical ships of 1920 which is pretty drat cool in an alt-history sort of way.

Yeah, but it’s only you that starts with the historical fleet, not the other nations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FrozenVent posted:

I really wish there was more flexibility to set your fleet doctrines. poo poo like “don’t put the glass cannon battlecruisers in the scouting force”, or “scouts retreat and regroup with main body”, poo poo like that.

Well, for part of this I can help. After your glass canon battle cruisers “discover” guys that can explode them, you can click on their fleet icon.

Once there, if it is not already set to this, set the squadrons lead formation to your battle squadron, then change their role to “screen” and exit.

Then watch then retreat into a screening position.

If you’d like, you could also set them to core and make them part of the battle line.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Stairmaster posted:

yeah but you dont get to pick what ships go in what divisions so you can't do multiple types of light cruisers

No, this is true. I do wish there was a way to easily set up your own permanent divisions. I mean, the functionality is there for fleet exercises, so...

Edit

I also wish the AI would build better ships.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Pirate Radar posted:

So I'm pretty sure there's an accuracy penalty in-game for trying to shoot at a DD with guns bigger than 5 or 6 inches, but I can't find it in the manual or the forums errata. Does anyone know what the mechanic is?

There absolutely is, but I have no idea what the mechanic actually looks like.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FrangibleCover posted:

what the ABSOLUTE gently caress

I mean, yeah, I'd never seen it but I manually name my first BB as Britain "Dreadnought" anyway and frankly I have better things to do with my life than read all 60 active British capital ship names from the Almanac at any given time.

They made a game about Dreadnoughts

and then

didn't let it name ships Dreadnought.

Which reminds me how annoyed I am that if I want to actually name all of the 20 DDs I am building, I have to either build them one at a time, or go back and rename them all.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Danann posted:

Radar is some spooky rear end poo poo when you have it but the other guy doesn't. I managed to stalk and bait a French BB into my DD screen as Russia. After it was crippled I finished it off with practically point blank 16-inch gunfire.

I really do enjoy getting blind firing before anyone else, and then shooting the poo poo out of things at night or in low visibility conditions when they cannot shoot back.

Unfortunately blind firing often comes very late in the game, and most of my games I get bored and start a new game before that time comes.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FrozenVent posted:

Ok someone explain to me why I'm losing prestige because "Russian forces are dominating the waters of Northern Europe" when I'm loving blockading Russia.

I have noticed this occasionally too. I have also noticed other weird things with this particular mechanic that just don’t sit well.

For example, I had one game as the CSA playing with ‘historical’ resources (whose home region is the Caribbean) where I kept getting hit with “the President is upset you do not have enough forces in the Southeastern Seaboard to check American aggression.” Like, news flash to the president, if I sent all our battleships to the Southeastern Seaboard, which I did, we will still be outnumbered 2.5 to 1 in battleships and you will still keep taking away my prestige.

Similarly when you start losing prestige because “you don’t have enough of X type of ship,” it doesn’t matter if you immediately start building 10 heavy cruisers. The game does not register your ‘construction program’ (ships under construction), and sometimes you will get a prestige death spiral, because the event will fire turn after turn and tank your prestige to “you lose” before a single ship could finish construction.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
I am still waiting for missiles to be a thing.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FrozenVent posted:

The flotilla attack button sometime works, too.

It depends on the year, and your fleet tactics level. Late game, particularly after you develop radio communication, it almost always works.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Night10194 posted:

Wait, that's dependent on fleet tactics level?

That explains a lot about early DDs.

Yep, absolutely. There are a number of techs in the fleet doctrine line that affect DD behavior. And, as you point out, this 100% explains why ordering a flotilla attack early game, more often than not, does nothing.

The very last tech you need before the flotilla attack order is followed 100% (or pretty close) is the voice radio one.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Night10194 posted:

The machinery change is pretty interesting. I always found focusing on Machinery surprisingly strong as it is.

Early on, it is for sure.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Something has been bothering me lately. Shouldn’t it be the case that, in some circumstance, torpedo attacks are observed by the other side?

For example, at Jutland, it was very clear that the German destroyer screen was firing their torpedos at Jellicoe.

In RtW 1&2, I have to guess always if those closing destroyers are firing torpedos before they turn away.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I've definitely seen enemy torpedoes approaching, but mostly in the late game and not always. Not sure what determines it.

Oh, for sure it does happen. I guess I am specifically talking about when a destroyer screen charges capital ships as if they might conduct a torpedo attack.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they are driven away. It just sort of seems to me...

1. I know the destroyer screen is approaching my capital ships to launch a torpedo attack. Any simulated captain/admiral on said ships would know this too;

2. Therefore they would order lookouts to watch/prepare for torpedo attack; and

3. Even if they do not see the torpedos in the water, if the weather is clear, the seas not rough, and the battlefield not covered in excess smoke, people on your ships would literally be able to see the torpedos go in the water.

All I am really asking for is, when these variables are accounted for, a “torpedo launch detected” notification. Whether or not you identify the individual torpedos in the water can remain the same.

Basically I am asking for the same information Jellicoe had at Jutland when the German destroyers attacked... which amounts to, “oh poo poo, torpedos in the water! Signal the fleet to turn away!”

Edit

As long as I am making a wishlist...

It would also be pretty nice if you could set up squadrons easier for fleet exercises, and if crew training and morale would be better.

For example, the turn together order shouldn’t be available in 1900, and when it is available the success of such a maneuver should be based on the training level of crews and ships (and whether or not ships have trained together.)

I also how poo poo the AI dealing with large groups of ships, but friendly collisions should be a thing too.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 8, 2020

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FrozenVent posted:

Lookout at sea really isn’t that easy. I was happy when my lookouts could spot a container ship, never mind whether she had the lifeboat on... I can’t imagine seeing a grey torpedo leaving a grey ship.

Also, remember that one night in 1912 where a couple of trained lookout on a clear night missed a goddamn iceberg until it was right there.

I get what you are saying, but those old destroyers get reallll close to launch a torpedo attack.

quote:

Was it Jellicoe or the other guy who ordered a sudden turn and hosed everything up because he’d thought he’d seen a torpedo?

He didn’t just see a torpedo in the water, he saw 30 German destroyers (and all the German Battlecruisers) charge time within 500 yards of all 24 British dreadnoughts and launch a whole shitload of torpedos.

That “Jellicoe let the Germans escape by turning away” thing was what Admiral Beatty was selling after the battle—the guy who got 3 of the British Battlecruisers blown up by chasing the German Battlecruisers, and then didn’t bother to report contact with Scheer to Jellicoe after dark while the Germans escaped.

In reality turning away from a torpedo attack was not just British doctrine, but probably saved a number of British dreadnoughts eating torpedos. After which, the Grand Fleet would have to have engaged in a more even stern chase of Scheer’s 16 dreadnoughts...

And with how lovely British armor piercing shells were at Jutland (only a single large caliber British armor piercing shell penetrated a German ship that day and detonated properly)... that would have been a serious gamble.

And why gamble like that when, from a strategic perspective you thought you’d trapped the Germans and could face them tomorrow, and in any case your job as Jellicoe was just to contain the High Seas Fleet, preserve the Entente blockade, and not lose?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 11, 2020

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Stairmaster posted:

when does the shipbuilding malus as ussr go away? I only want to make ideologically pure ships.

e: how come av's have no asw value?

I don’t think it ever does except maybe random event. I could be wrong though.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FrozenVent posted:

You carrier armour should be two or three destroyer thick.

Armor on a carrier? Nuts. The best armor for a carrier is more fighters.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Wooper posted:

Wanna see them fighter shoot down the battleship shells in the air.

If your carrier is close enough to a battleship to get shot at it by shells from a battleship’s main armament then the fact you slapped 2x a DDs armor on it isn’t going to mean poo poo.

Ask HMS Glorious how well it’s armor worked out for her while being hit by Scharnhorst’s 11 inch shells.

Ergo, better to save the weight of the armor for more planes, so that your carrier can spot and sink that battleship from a distance of a 100+ miles, and your carrier air groups can better defend against the real threat they should be facing—the other guy’s carrier aircraft; which, incidentally, if you start getting hit by aerial bombs and torpedos, means your carrier will fair about as if it were being hit by those battleship shells.

There is a pretty drat good reason why armor disappeared from carriers pretty quick, and then after the Second World War with the dominance of naval air power and anti-ship missiles, all naval vessels (95% of them anyway.)

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 9, 2020

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Wooper posted:

you said fighters so destroyers are just gonna sail up to your carriers and sink it lol
get rekt

Generally speaking, the idea behind carriers is that enemy surface units are never in visible range; however, just in case this—and submarines—are why carriers operate in task forces, usually with destroyers and cruisers; and during the last phase covered by the game, fast battleships.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Bremen posted:

I continue to have the same problem with RTW 3 that I did with 2... namely that I cruise along fine through the early game, making my battleships with armor designed to be immune to their own guns and such, then the number of options explode and I have no idea what I'm doing. It probably hurts me that I've never been big on military history so wanting to create my favorite 30s British cruiser design or whatever plays no part in RTW for me; I'm trying to play it as basically a historical Aurora 4x and it's clearly meant from the ground up to be about modeling historical warship designs.

Other than that... I'm a little disappointed in the division editor. It's an improvement, and it helps a bit with organization, but I was hoping for something I could use to easily keep track of and order around larger fleets and it doesn't work that well for that. I think it would be much better if the division editor included information like class, location, and status without exploding the view (at least assuming all ships in the division were the same, otherwise it could just show "-" or whatever), and maybe had a higher tier organization called a fleet and the ability to drag and drop divisions into it. So I could put the 1st Carrier div, 2nd Heavy Cruiser div, and 4th Destroyer div in the "1st Carrier Fleet" or whatever, and if they were all in the Caribbean it would show "Caribbean" in the location tab for that fleet instead of just being blank. Who knows, maybe that will be patched in later. I can hope, anyways.

For someone like you I really suggest using the auto design option. It will spit out a mostly workable design for you, but then you can edit it as you see fit. This lets you sort of play around with the options you currently have for each different ship class without overwhelming you at the outset.

Edit.

I almost always use auto design, then immediately strip out all of the fittings and the equipment and guns/weapons I want. Not for the reason I am suggesting for you, but even though they've made it easier in RTW3, I have always been absolutely terrible at doing the aesthetic part like adding funnels, lines, an super structure. Using the auto option adds all of that poo poo for you. The only time this does not work is when I am trying to design a standard 4 turret dreadnought and the game gives me an all forward armament design.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I use auto design the same way. It also didn't do so well with making cheap 200 t corvettes for trade protection (ordered by the dozen), the ascetics of the 1,500 t auto design on the shrunken hull would have lines going out over the back of the boat. I just imagined them as some sort of mine-sweeping gear.

I love all forward armament - why would you go a four turret design over all forward? Obviously not so good trying to run away or gain distance but if you never run, your turrets are never in the blind spot.

There isn't anything wrong with all forward armament, honestly; however, I sometimes decline to build all forward armament ships for roleplaying reasons mostly. It's just a good example of where using auto-design to build the aesthetic elements of a ship can sometimes fail you.

It also works in reverse, of course. If you're trying to build an all forward armament ship sometimes the auto-designer does not want to cooperate. Basically, auto-design is great for the artistically inept like myself, but has limitations.

ArchangeI posted:

This sort of already works at least in terms of movement. If you have 1st Cruiser Division scouting for 1st Battle Division, and a Destroyer Division supporting each, you only have to move 1st Battle Division to the Carribean to have all the ships in the other divisions follow. I agree that having a proper multi-level view would help a lot unless you are able to visualize the command structure at all times. Hell, just let me move Divisions around in the list instead of ordering by type.

Unrelated, but I just had my first battle in the missile age (early 50ies), and out of 200+ missiles fired by both sides, one hit. Kinda underwhelming all around. Together with the radar guided AA making air attacks with bombs or torpedoes very costly (and ineffective since attacks get broken up and few hits are scored), I uhhh...don't really have a good plan to win battles anymore? I guess I should have spent the late 40ies building up a battleship fleet after the shift towards carrier warfare in the 30ies?

Eventually by the time the games end date approaches, battles turn into missile spam and lots of missiles hit. My biggest complaint though for the missile period is aircraft. Even if I have cruise missiles with ranges of 100 miles, if I order an airstrike from a carrier the aircraft seen to fly right over the top of their target so they get shot by both the enemies SAMs and radar guided AA, then fire their missiles.

Routinely I find entire carrier wings effectively wiped out after a single battle.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 30, 2023