Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Problem description: I've got a new hard drive and I can't get my PC (ASUS ROG Strix GL12CP) to recognise it. In the BIOS I see Serial ATA Port 0 (SSD), 1 (1TB drive that came with it) and 3 (optical drive).

Attempted fixes: I've tried a second cable and I've also tried a working drive so I don't think the drives or cables are defective. I'm looking for the System Setup Enable SATA setting of old but ASUS has some fancy new BIOS and I can't find it. I see SATA Mode Selection but that just looks like I can choose RAID (currently AHCI). This YouTube video has a different version of BIOS. I've done a lot of searching but I must not have the right search terms.

Recent changes: The PC is only a month old, so this is the first change I'm making.

--

Operating system: Win 10 64 bit

System specs: See this page, I've got the CP.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Call/email ASUS support would be my suggestion.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Good call. They took ages but finally just told me the HDD was too big, the PC can only support 2TB drives. :/

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

They're full of poo poo. My ancient Asus H77 motherboard can do >2TB and I'm certain that your more modern one can too.

What is probably happening is that SATA 2 is disabled because of the presence of an M.2 SATA SSD.
I'm not sure if this is your exact motherboard, because the specs don't say which one is in there, but it does list an M.2 SATA SSD.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H310M-A-R2-0/specifications/ Scroll down to where it says Note.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah I think there's some BS going on but I was just tired of waiting for the chat help. I think I'm going to write an email and ask them for a list of supported drives and just waste their drat time while I figure out what to do with the 4TB HDD I already opened. :/ I do appreciate the help, I'll update when/if anything develops.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If all your SATA ports are occupied save for port 2 which is disabled, you could consider getting a SATA controller card for your free PCIe x1 slot and plugging it in there. Do make sure it supports drives larger than 2 TB before buying, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Thank you! I will look into that.