Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

i have a plastic cube on my desk that demonstrates like 40 different injection molding features which is great for teaching.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

i got a maglite from ontrack once, that was pretty good

promotional usb drives are good because you can give people files on them without caring about getting the drive back

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

RIP your centrifuges

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i turned two usb drives i got from a conference into earrings

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i got a 3d model of myself made at a 3d scanning company booth a few years back and they gave me the file on a flash drive. i plugged it into my computer and it was a 32mb drive.

i would have thought that a drive that small would be more expensive because who the gently caress is still making 32mb flash chips?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i got a 3d model of myself made at a 3d scanning company booth a few years back and they gave me the file on a flash drive. i plugged it into my computer and it was a 32mb drive.

i would have thought that a drive that small would be more expensive because who the gently caress is still making 32mb flash chips?

lol you plugged a conference usb stick into your computer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Father Jack posted:

i got a maglite from ontrack once, that was pretty good

promotional usb drives are good because you can give people files on them without caring about getting the drive back

the first usb 3 drive i had was a 16gb one from a research conference loaded with 10gb of material. of course most people had only phones as they hustled from presentation to presentation but i appreciated the gesture

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

meanwhile the local dev conference gave out 8gb retractable drives with a bottle opener. considering their target was web devs and windows devs it makes sense

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

retractable usb drives are stupid as hell because after the mechanism starts to wear the plug slides back into the housing when you try to insert it.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like those metal drives Kingston made for a while. the ones that look like Norman Reedus’ necklace in Death Stranding

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i made a pretty good effort to use up all the pens i got from the macworlds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

I like those metal drives Kingston made for a while. the ones that look like Norman Reedus’ necklace in Death Stranding

yea i have a couple of those. i tie fancy little red cords to the loop and make them look all elegant and identifiable.

i once left one plugged into a shop computer and then couldn't find it for a bit. went to the classroom next door and saw a student had it plugged into her computer, "oh i uh...i was just borrowing it" and i say okay no problem and take it back.

plug it into my computer and she's erased all the contents and changed the name of the drive from SAGEBRUSH to her own name. little poo poo was planning on stealing it and knew exactly whose it was

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

branded metal credit card style bottle openers are the one thing ive kept. no idea what clipd does but it opens all my beahs

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

branded metal credit card style bottle openers are the one thing ive kept. no idea what clipd does but it opens all my beahs

i have a magnetic capcatcher and its one of the best gifts ive ever received

posted the link in the beer thread

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

graph posted:

i got one generic swag pen i really liked because it was handed to me by a cnc robot arm

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i have an endless supply of canvas totes and it owns

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
imagine wearing it company swag boxers and you were hit by a bus your mom wouldn't be able to look the hospital staff in the eye the poor woman

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Got a plush penguin from some Linux distro that probably doesn’t exists anymore. It’s still chillin in my bookcase :3:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i got a lock pick set from a conference that fits in a wallet

i refuse to use it since i have nicer picks

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I went to a conference once and all I got was Chlamydia.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Lol you idiot a sea of tshirts and water bottles and you pick up chlamydia

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

For my next trick I will go to a candy shop and buy a kick to the nuts

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TimWinter posted:

For my next trick I will go to a candy shop and buy a kick to the nuts

I am sincerely surprised you don’t get these given to you “comped” (as the kids say these days).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

I am sincerely surprised you don’t get these given to you “comped” (as the kids say these days).

lol

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I’ve been using a swag retractable badge holder for years. Nice and sturdy. The company logo has long since worn off, so I’m not sure they came out ahead on that one.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

TimWinter posted:

Lol you idiot a sea of tshirts and water bottles and you pick up chlamydia
Yeah well they were out of those and all the tshirts were XXL and I was bored so I just did ur mom

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

~Coxy posted:

last MS thing I went to they had black tshirts with white text "I see dev people"
not only is that an incredibly old ref, it's neither relevant nor funny/cute, and even misses out the only interesting part of the original ref!

at least they also had polo shirts that just had the Azure logo on them.

I have an Azure HPC ninja sloth

yes, someone in MS marketing thought a plush sloth was an appropriate representative for their HPC offering

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

graph posted:

macsworld

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

:drat:

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Yeah well they were out of those and all the tshirts were XXL and I was bored so I just did ur mom

:mediocre:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

:boom:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/CFRAOttawa/status/1132608568593567744

they're for security wonks, so we can be pretty sure they won't be used while bathing

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

did a show in new orleans and our extremely basic marketing person wanted to do branded marti gras beads

everyone loves moleskines tho

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ive gotten a few field notes over the years which are nice. i used to use them constantly so i was happy for more freebies

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agile Vector posted:

ive gotten a few field notes over the years which are nice. i used to use them constantly so i was happy for more freebies

Field Note notebooks are indeed pro af.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

best conference booth: last year velocity had a bunch of service dogs in training hanging out to pet :3:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I conference I went to had a vendor that gave out camera covers as part of their swag, and another one gave a retractable usb charger that gave a usb-c, apple, and micro-usb triple ended cable. Also it's bright pink. That was alright swag.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

a friend has a Facebook-branded laptop camera cover

yeah

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i have a decade's worth of boldly colored t-shirts that say engineer in a wide variety of letterings

not nearly as many t-shirts with metallic wyverns on them

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
My old old boss won a laser printer in a conference

but he traded it for a loving sweet as hell remote control tank that someone else won as another prize

for the entire year following the conference (before the next one) whenever someone asked him anything about the conference in any capacity, he would tell the tank story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

eschaton posted:

I have an Azure HPC ninja sloth

yes, someone in MS marketing thought a plush sloth was an appropriate representative for their HPC offering

https://github.com/Microsoft/OpenCloudNinjaSloth posted:

This is Brady, the Open Cloud Ninja Sloth created by the Azure open source marketing team at Microsoft.

You might have encountered Brady in the wild at events around the world, and it's hard not to give in to its cuteness! Brady is an unofficial mascot for open source solutions running on Microsoft Azure and we're proud to announce that, in true open source spirit, Brady's designs are now available on GitHub for everyone to remix them as they please.

emphasis added