Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

The actual abstract isn't as bad as a lot of what people think the paper might be about.

quote:

Social trust is linked to a host of positive societal outcomes, including improved economic performance, lower crime rates and more inclusive institutions. Yet, the origins of trust remain elusive, partly because social trust is difficult to document in time. Building on recent advances in social cognition, we design an algorithm to automatically generate trustworthiness evaluations for the facial action units (smile, eye brows, etc.) of European portraits in large historical databases. Our results show that trustworthiness in portraits increased over the period 1500–2000 paralleling the decline of interpersonal violence and the rise of democratic values observed in Western Europe. Further analyses suggest that this rise of trustworthiness displays is associated with increased living standards.
If I were an art historian I'd probably have a lot to say about this but as is I'm just withholding judgment until the actual experts weigh in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

qirex posted:

also classical portraits seems like the worst possible training set since they were usually done specifically to make the patron look awesome and their enemies look shady

yeah, capital p Portraits arent naturalistic, not then, not now. they all have a message. i guess theres value in examining what that message is and how it has changed through history, but thats not a job for machine learning lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ultrafilter posted:

If I were an art historian I'd probably have a lot to say about this but as is I'm just withholding judgment until the actual experts weigh in.
[/quote]

sounds like theyre evaluating historical and contemporary portraits based on whatever the current model of "trustworthiness" says, ie they show that the common styles of portraits indeed change from historical styles towards the contemporary styles, and that the current model considers historical portraits less trustworthy, whatever that menas

im tired

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“let’s use a set of images created entirely for the purpose of flattering rich white people to train for trustworthiness”
- a “scientist”

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/baumard_nicolas/status/1308715649766699010?s=20

:chloe:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that tweet took a turn :stare:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I retract my previous statement about it being a bad training set now that the author has clarified that the did it specifically to discriminate against poor people

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

does “have lower levels of trust” mean “they should be trusted less” or “they should trust others less” there? i read the vulnerable to exploitation part of it to imply the latter.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Midjack posted:

does “have lower levels of trust” mean “they should be trusted less” or “they should trust others less” there? i read the vulnerable to exploitation part of it to imply the latter.

the phrasing "trustworthiness" implies the former

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

the phrasing "trustworthiness" implies the former

read the article, bottom of page 2. the argument on this statement is a little convoluted, the author is saying that as gdp goes up general societal trust goes up and he’s using trustworthiness ratings of portraits as a proxy for general societal trust.

edit: yeah boy howdy this is kind of junk science and i thought nature was better than this.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 25, 2020

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/JedMSP/status/1309525866746056709

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Midjack posted:

read the article, bottom of page 2. the argument on this statement is a little convoluted, the author is saying that as gdp goes up general societal trust goes up and he’s using trustworthiness ratings of portraits as a proxy for general societal trust.

Is this some sort of weird p-hacking thing like where the cup size of Miss America is inversely correlated to the unemployment rate in Wyoming or something?

Like, in what world are "portraits being smiley or frowny" even a variable?

:confused:

animist
Aug 28, 2018

ultrafilter posted:

im not. this seems terrible

what even is their ground truth value for "trust"? did they have a grad student go through portraits and be like "eh, that one looks shifty, I'll give em a three"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Midjack posted:

edit: yeah boy howdy this is kind of junk science and i thought nature was better than this.

Nature Communications charges a $5,700 publishing fee too lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

im in awe at the stupidity of this model

https://twitter.com/baumard_nicolas/status/1308715661154308103

happy smiling man determined by (points at seagull) to be more trustworthy than dour looking angry man!

what happens if they run it with trump doing that smarmy grin he does and joe looking scared and confused

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

apropos, this year's ig nobel prize (ceremony last week) for economics was for this:

quote:

ECONOMICS PRIZE [UK, POLAND, FRANCE, BRAZIL, CHILE, COLOMBIA, AUSTRALIA, ITALY, NORWAY, ITALY]
Christopher Watkins, Juan David Leongómez, Jeanne Bovet, Agnieszka Żelaźniewicz, Max Korbmacher, Marco Antônio Corrêa Varella, Ana Maria Fernandez, Danielle Wagstaff, and Samuela Bolgan, for trying to quantify the relationship between different countries’ national income inequality and the average amount of mouth-to-mouth kissing.
REFERENCE: “National Income Inequality Predicts Cultural Variation in Mouth to Mouth Kissing,” Christopher D. Watkins, Juan David Leongómez, Jeanne Bovet, Agnieszka Żelaźniewicz, Max Korbmacher, Marco Antônio Corrêa Varella, Ana Maria Fernandez, Danielle Wagstaff, and Samuela Bolgan, Scientific Reports, vol. 9, article no. 6698, 2019.

https://www.improbable.com/ig-about/winners/

tldr: if combine those two papers & only trustworthy people on the mouth, youll get rich

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 25, 2020

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he’ll yeah

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/astroskylar/status/1309618682176450560

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jehanne butler was right

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gotta agree with this

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Cowards didn't open source their algos, so they can't be tested against classical trustworthiness techniques

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

run the trustworthiness model in reverse. what is the most trustworthy possible face. I want to see it

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Bloody posted:

run the trustworthiness model in reverse. what is the most trustworthy possible face. I want to see it

turn off your monitor, friend :glomp:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:unsmith:

animist
Aug 28, 2018
in other news, Florida ran a beta test of a predictive policing algorithm, which resulted in... a bunch of random people being harassed for no reason.

quote:

A central Florida sheriff built an algorithm meant to predict which people in his jurisdiction were likely to commit a crime in the future.

But according to a six-month investigation published this week by the Tampa Bay Times, the high-tech tool deployed by the Pasco Sheriff's Office didn't lead to a reduction in violent crime — instead, 21 families singled out by the algorithm said they were routinely harassed by deputies, even when there was no evidence of a specific crime.

In September 2019, deputies showed up at 15-year-old Rio Wojtecki's door because the algorithm had determined Rio was one of the county's "Top 5" at risk of committing more crimes, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

Before that, Rio had been arrested only one time, a year prior, and was charged with sneaking into a carport and stealing motorized bicycles. Rio had already been assigned a juvenile probation officer — but because of the algorithm, police showed up at Rio's house to question him at least 21 times, beginning with that September visit, Rio's mother told the Tampa Bay Times.

Shortly after one visit from deputies in January, Rio began experiencing difficulty breathing and collapsed in his home, the report said. His mother told the newspaper she called an ambulance and that an emergency-room doctor later found that Rio was experiencing the effects of extreme anxiety. But the deputies' visits to his family's home didn't stop.

According to the Tampa Bay Times report — which drew on court records, police body-camera footage, the accounts of dozens of people targeted by the sheriff's algorithm, and interviews with former employees of the Pasco Sheriff's Office — the predictive-policing tool relied on questionable data sources and arbitrary decisions.

People's criminal records — including charges that were later dropped — were fed into the algorithm to determine potential future offenders. Former employees of the sheriff's office said deputies were instructed to visit the homes of people the algorithm selected, charge them with zoning violations, and make arrests for any reason they could. Those violations and arrests were then fed back into the algorithm, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

The report highlights the pitfalls of algorithm-driven policing, sometimes called predictive policing, which relies on crime data to predict future offenders. Civil-rights groups have called the practice unconstitutional, and law-enforcement researchers question its efficacy. In recent years, police departments in major cities including Los Angeles and Richmond, Virginia, discontinued their predictive-policing programs because of concerns over their fairness and effectiveness.

In a statement to Business Insider, a spokesperson for the Pasco Sheriff's Office defended the practice, saying other police departments use similar methods, and accused the Tampa Bay Times of depicting "basic law enforcement functions" as unnecessary harassment. The sheriff's office also published a Facebook post criticizing the newspaper's report.

"Unfortunately, the media outlet responsible for this piece didn't feel compelled to shed light on facts, and instead chose to weave a salacious, fictitious tale," the spokesperson said.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you see a graph like that you gotta play the curb your enthusiasm theme over it

doot doot doot dadadadahdahdah ditdahditdadah..

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

e: wrong thread

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/hardmaru/status/1312058776007008256

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anfd today congratulations we give that piece of poo poo algorithm the ability to vote

we took care and almost wated for double age so it doesnt matter if we hosed it up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lmao at least my dogshit ml thesis got the roc on the right side of y=x

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ReinH/status/1313547425563377664

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
laughing at the thought of training for trustworthiness when the machine probably can't even recognize non white people to begin with.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the kind of machine learning where you train it on a picture with a style and apply that style to another image

can someone tell me what the name of the technique is, or recommend a link or something

like https://deepart.io/

I wanna gently caress around with it on my own pc. can I do that?

can you train it on many images to try to derive a style from many images?

my main purpose is to try to see if it's possible to subtly make my renders look, illustrated.

might end up looking like total dog poo poo
but ya never know

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
called style transfer

you can make illustrative style, tuning the dealios is just not hard if youre not doin anything original

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m not sure what you’re trying to say in that last sentence

but surely you’ve seen rodtronics bullshit

anyway thanks for the hot tip

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

the kind of machine learning where you train it on a picture with a style and apply that style to another image

gmic has something like this

It can be scripted too last time I used it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool

ive found this https://pypi.org/project/neural-style/ and gonna get my head round some of the commands

also ill have a look at that gimc thing

i only want a subtle effect

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

echinopsis posted:

can someone tell me what the name of the technique is, or recommend a link or something

like https://deepart.io/

I wanna gently caress around with it on my own pc. can I do that?

can you train it on many images to try to derive a style from many images?

my main purpose is to try to see if it's possible to subtly make my renders look, illustrated.

might end up looking like total dog poo poo
but ya never know

Google colab is perfect for this, you run the python on google hardware for free. Basically most AI stuff like this you can search for “___ colab” and find a working example.

https://colab.research.google.com/g...Execution.ipynb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm thanks

my first result turned out absolute dogshit and it’s kinda burned me lol