Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Kheldarn posted:

So this came up in the NSFW Randomwaffle 3 thread. Any goons know the story behind it? Was it a sincere thing someone on the OForums made? Was it goon made, to mock pubbies?

Yeah it was just to mess with obvious furry characters. Personally I have no info on that laminated card thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's really sort of the opposite of the experience I have with those sorts of parties - the player-based buffs feel useless in them because the players don't need any buffs to be incarnate gods, but the enemy-based debuffs provide very strong things that those players can't easily work into their builds such as -res and -regen, which are two of the biggest things you can do to improve a team like that's efficiency against AVs, making them some of the strongest debuffs in the game. especially in TFs with tanky AVs you have to fight like Tinpex or ITF.

But that is overall a pretty big problem with CoX as a whole - the power scaling on the high end is so strong that in true high-end parties, brutes/tanks/blasters are the only "really good" classes, things like controllers/doms become mostly useless, and defenders get relegated to "debuff enemy regen or max HP". But you can do hardmode TFs that remove IO set bonuses and incarnate powers if you want to play a version of CoX where every AT is useful.

IME parties like that aren't the majority unless you explicitly try to put them together that way though. They're common for Tinpex but not most of the other stuff I do.

On the flip side the tippy top end of 4 stars, whether you can win or not is almost entirely defined by how many and what kind of defenders (it's Cold Dom and Force Fields. You want Cold Dom and Force Fields) you have so

There is some variance.

But really for 99.999% of content anything can be juiced to be an overpowered demigod. I promise. I do it all the time as a Peacebringer, my AT is bad and I should feel bad I can still do it.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 29, 2024

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Tommy 2.0 posted:

You should definitely be in the discord then.

I was dragging my feet on this because you guys play on Indomitable according to the op, right? My friend who convinced me to pick the game up had me roll on a different server. I know you can easily swap between them, but I just checked and my cool new name IS unfortunately already taken on that one. Which clearly means I have to roll a second character, darn the luck. ...Okay look I just want an excuse to experiment with character concepts some more because that's the most fun part of this game, leave my flimsy rear end logic alone.

If I was going to to make a new nerd with the guiding principle of 'I want to go all in on being a debuffer / force multiplier for my team', what are some cool archetypes and primaries to consider building around? This 8 word post has immediately got me eyeballing the controller / corrupter / dominator sets, so thanks for that.

edit for vvvv: yeah, I know. But I don't want to come up with a new name, I'm still patting myself on the back for the current one. And since I get how dumb that is, I'll see if I can come up with a better name that works on both servers instead of being a prima donna about this. I do still like the idea of making a 2nd character, though.

Okay, just transferred over to indomitable and changed my character's name to Seed Phrase :c00lbutt:
The op link to Kuhullan’s Clown Basket is saying it's an invalid invite when I click it. is that one defunct?

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 30, 2024

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Servers don’t matter, you can transfer characters like 5 times a day or something. So play on whatever and just switch back and play with your friend when you’re done

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
defenders can get Telekinesis :thunk:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

defenders can get Telekinesis :thunk:

But can it be combo'd with Storm? Because lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yes, they can get it via epic pool (psychic mastery) so it can combo with any set. corruptors too.
e: god that is going to be WILDLY POPULAR
e: oh, I am looking at the test server and as of right now at least the new version of telekinesis has not proliferated to the Defender/ Corruptor epic sets, they still have the old version. Would be extremely nifty if it does though!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 30, 2024

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

brainSnakes posted:

I was dragging my feet on this because you guys play on Indomitable according to the op, right? My friend who convinced me to pick the game up had me roll on a different server. I know you can easily swap between them, but I just checked and my cool new name IS unfortunately already taken on that one. Which clearly means I have to roll a second character, darn the luck. ...Okay look I just want an excuse to experiment with character concepts some more because that's the most fun part of this game, leave my flimsy rear end logic alone.

If I was going to to make a new nerd with the guiding principle of 'I want to go all in on being a debuffer / force multiplier for my team', what are some cool archetypes and primaries to consider building around? This 8 word post has immediately got me eyeballing the controller / corrupter / dominator sets, so thanks for that.

edit for vvvv: yeah, I know. But I don't want to come up with a new name, I'm still patting myself on the back for the current one. And since I get how dumb that is, I'll see if I can come up with a better name that works on both servers instead of being a prima donna about this. I do still like the idea of making a 2nd character, though.

Okay, just transferred over to indomitable and changed my character's name to Seed Phrase :c00lbutt:
The op link to Kuhullan’s Clown Basket is saying it's an invalid invite when I click it. is that one defunct?

I honestly have no clue where people primarily play. I know all my poo poo is on Excelsior, but then again like others have mentioned, server transfers are free and pretty instant anyways.

https://discord.gg/N7PUZM5r

Discord said this link expires in 7 days.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 30, 2024

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I appreciate the link!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

heads up, the set of changes in beta just advanced to release candidate 2 (i.e. really close to release)

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

heads up, the set of changes in beta just advanced to release candidate 2 (i.e. really close to release)

The ones I've seen actually have me looking forward to them pushing it forward. It's going to make me drop a lot of Inf, I can already tell, but that's a good thing (respecs not needed).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are Sentinels getting any love? :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are Sentinels getting any love? :v:

Nothing dramatic, no. The biggest powers changes are some nice tweaks to VEATs, a new control/assault set that people seem pretty "eh" on, and some bigger changes to everyone's epic pools. There's a few new additions, but Sents already had more than most so they mostly get housekeeping changes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

they're changing the mechanics of Bonfire a bit - the current state it's in as of today, on test server, it's hard to see any difference at all - and a lot of folks are flipping the gently caress out :supaburn:

I have somehow run into a couple of people who are actually mad about the revamp of Telekinesis, which is really baffling

quote:

Mind Control/Telekinesis:
No longer holds
Now Immobilizes
Endurance cost reduced from 3.12 per second to 1.04 per second.
Target cap increased to 16
Radius increased to 20'
Recharge increased from 60s to 120s
Will now keep the targets between 40 and 60 feet from the player
Will group enemies close to the main target (i.e. "reverse repel" or "pull towards")
Toggle now lasts a max of 30s before auto-shutdown

Mind Control/Levitate:
When your Telekinesis is active, your use of levitate on a Telekinesis-anchored foe will cause your levitate to hit in an AoE and your Telekinesis power will be deactivated
Power can now be used on the primary target of Telekinesis regardless if the target is dead or alive

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Bonfire as it is on live is overpowered with a knockdown IO in it, so I get why they're changing it, but now it does little enough control that I'll probably respec out of it, or take it only as a way to get to the better powers in the fire epic.

I'm one of the people that preferred that TK be a way to pile more hold on things. Part of why I play mind in the first place is that it's different and doesn't have the two immob powers I never take.

I really dislike the auto-shutdown powers and am still cranky about Phase Shift and Afterburner.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

check it again as of today, it's honestly really close to how it is on live.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'm still seeing a difference. It used to be reliable enough that I would alternate between aim/buildup/nuke and bonfire/rain of fire/fire sword circle/burn to wipe out groups. Now, trying to stay in melee with bonfire for protection gets me killed. But it was probably overpowered that I could do that in the first place.

Now I'm finding it more useful to drop bonfire and rain of fire, then pick things off at range, and use fire sword and fire sword circle if one or more guys get too close. In the end, I'll probably just respec out of burn, and either steal a slot from that to put acc in bonfire, or steal bonfire's slots and stop thinking of it as a damage power.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah blaster burn is tremendously overrated, I've tried to make it feel impactful but you just have so many much better tools in the box, you have to refuse to use them

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Nothing dramatic, no. The biggest powers changes are some nice tweaks to VEATs, a new control/assault set that people seem pretty "eh" on, and some bigger changes to everyone's epic pools. There's a few new additions, but Sents already had more than most so they mostly get housekeeping changes.

Which is funny to me cause a VEAT is always super nice to have on a team. They bring a good chunk of team buff auras with them. I especially enjoy my Crabstermind.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Which is funny to me cause a VEAT is always super nice to have on a team. They bring a good chunk of team buff auras with them. I especially enjoy my Crabstermind.

Yeah, they get their own Leadership powers that are more END- efficient, plus there's nothing stopping you from taking pool Leadership as well.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Yeah, they get their own Leadership powers that are more END- efficient, plus there's nothing stopping you from taking pool Leadership as well.

Yup. Just stack them bitches. Everyone gets +10 to all.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I have difficulty imagining a stronger character build than a properly-IOd Crabstermind. Ludicrous buffs, good damage output, high resistances, a ton of pets to both distract and chew through enemies.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

Ironslave posted:

I have difficulty imagining a stronger character build than a properly-IOd Crabstermind. Ludicrous buffs, good damage output, high resistances, a ton of pets to both distract and chew through enemies.

My most damaging character is my Crabstermind. I honestly don't know of a combination in the game that can perform better. No one has shared a better average either. So if it exists, no one really knows about it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
That's really making me want to recreate Jumbo Lump, I loved the buffs, pets, and being able to poo poo out huge amounts of AoE damage, I just remember the cast times wearing at me a bit after a while.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
My mostly kitted out Crab was a beast back in the day, absurdly powerful class but also really really fun to play.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Dammit, of course my computer decides to give itself a lobotomy a week before the next big patch. Hopefully I can get my replacement going soon

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone post a build for one of these sick rear end crabs, I started one the other day and it seems fun but there are so many powers I don't know what's best!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What's a crab?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Soldier of Arachnos with the Crab Spider specialization (i.e. spider arm back attachment rig)
basically a full on tank mage with capped positional defenses, 85% s/l resist and high status protection etc

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Fajita Queen posted:

What's a crab?

I dunno, what'sa crab with you?

The Arachnos Soldier eventually specializes into one of two archetypes: the Bane Spider, which has a mace and can do a little bit of stealth, and the Crab Spider, which has a permanent spider-arm backpack, a bunch of pets, high Resistance, and a self-heal/HP-boost.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

lol that rules

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Villain epic ATs beat the poo poo out of Kheldians imo, just way more straightforward and less gimmicky to me

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

The Villain epic ATs beat the poo poo out of Kheldians imo, just way more straightforward and less gimmicky to me

tbf even Dominators beat the poo poo out of Kheldians

I bet a petless mastermind could take one out one-on-one

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A dangerous lack of respect for Warshades. Go ahead and poo poo on Peacebringers tho.

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm getting a group of buddies into the game and VEATs failed to excite them because they're so much less gimmicky. Whereas saying Warshades turn into crazy bullshit with high APM moved the needle a little.

Also Khelds have massively superior story content.

Personally, I don't find myself playing either of them very often. Hate how clunky Khelds still are, hate how razor's edge and begging for IOs VEATs are.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Kheldian gimmick just never worked well with how the game is designed, and the fact that they could make missions harder at random was a bit of a buzzkill, even after the various changes they made to try to bring them up to par. By comparison, Fortunata was easily my favorite AT in all the time I played, since it was, effectively, Dominator with a cool weapon that didn't immediately crumple to CC and got to cosplay a Stalker from time to time. It was a really sick mixture of ideas that I've never seen replicated anywhere else in multiplayer gaming.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Gynovore posted:

I play my Arachnos Soldier as just a dude with a gun that brings a huge amount of passive buffs to his team. I don't know why I enjoy being "guy who shoots a gun" in this game but I do.

My aura bar at any given time:

A while back I did an Arachnos only Strike Force and we were so stacked with buffs nothing could touch us. Looking forward to trying out the beefed up endgame content on Homecoming when it's out of beta.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 17, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

RC3
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/48879-open-beta-patch-notes-for-february-17th-2024-issue-27-page-7-release-candidate-3
a few very very small changes, this is probably what will go live in a little while
e: "a little while" meaning like a week

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 17, 2024

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I haven't played in awhile but my Peacebringer was the most fun I've had. Capped (85%) resistance to everything (including Psi), 3 self-heals (one being Dull Pain), self-res, self-endurance buff, 2 Nukes, perma-Light Form/Hasten, tons of AoEs, etc. I did slot Nova attacks because they do so much more damage than Human form. Single-target damage was poor, I'll give it that, but I was a tank-mage for most everything else.

Warshades have higher highs but they're crackheads trying to keep up all the buffs and pets.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

FooF posted:

I haven't played in awhile but my Peacebringer was the most fun I've had. Capped (85%) resistance to everything (including Psi), 3 self-heals (one being Dull Pain), self-res, self-endurance buff, 2 Nukes, perma-Light Form/Hasten, tons of AoEs, etc. I did slot Nova attacks because they do so much more damage than Human form. Single-target damage was poor, I'll give it that, but I was a tank-mage for most everything else.

Warshades have higher highs but they're crackheads trying to keep up all the buffs and pets.

Khelds just always felt like they were built with "versatility" in mind, which is pretty much useless in this game, and get as many downsides as they could come up with piled on them for the sake of that 'benefit'. I'm sure you can build them to be super effective because you can do that with anything in this game, but a few things to point out:

-85% resist is still generally less effective than 45% defense, and requires heavier mez protection because you get hit by everything. What mez holes do you have?
-3 self-heals, but what form do you have to be in to use them? Do you have access to your nukes at the same time?
-Do you bring any team benefit to the table? Any control? Debuffs?
-I don't know anything about light form, but everyone can have perma-hasten.
-Bad ST damage and no debuffs imply being kinda useless against AVs or other heavy targets..
-Do you still need a team to take care of the mobs that constantly spawn to destroy you, specifically?

I mean I'm sure they are fun and all but they always seemed like an uphill battle for effectiveness. But this is still a game where basically anything can be really powerful when built right so everyone should 100% play whatever they find fun, there's no arguing against that.

I recall reading at one point - but it might've been about Warshades - a Kheld guide that talked about using specific buffs and switching forms to keep them and having to build & use powers in a very specific way to get that effectiveness, and thinking man what a pain in the butt that sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

zzMisc posted:

Khelds just always felt like they were built with "versatility" in mind, which is pretty much useless in this game, and get as many downsides as they could come up with piled on them for the sake of that 'benefit'. I'm sure you can build them to be super effective because you can do that with anything in this game, but a few things to point out:

-85% resist is still generally less effective than 45% defense, and requires heavier mez protection because you get hit by everything. What mez holes do you have?
-3 self-heals, but what form do you have to be in to use them? Do you have access to your nukes at the same time?
-Do you bring any team benefit to the table? Any control? Debuffs?
-I don't know anything about light form, but everyone can have perma-hasten.
-Bad ST damage and no debuffs imply being kinda useless against AVs or other heavy targets..
-Do you still need a team to take care of the mobs that constantly spawn to destroy you, specifically?

I mean I'm sure they are fun and all but they always seemed like an uphill battle for effectiveness. But this is still a game where basically anything can be really powerful when built right so everyone should 100% play whatever they find fun, there's no arguing against that.

I recall reading at one point - but it might've been about Warshades - a Kheld guide that talked about using specific buffs and switching forms to keep them and having to build & use powers in a very specific way to get that effectiveness, and thinking man what a pain in the butt that sounds.

Absolutely: Kheldians were originally intended to be the ultimate teammates. Peacebringers were there to supplement anything the team lacked and Warshades complemented anything the team already had.

To respond to the individual questions:
- No mez holes to speak of. Light Form provides something like Mag 4 resistance, which doesn't seem like a lot but I can't remember the last time I was held. If you are held, you just switch to Dwarf for the Mag 30 or whatever resistance.
- You have a modest self-heal in Human (~50%), a Dull Pain analog, and a stronger self-heal in Dwarf (65%). Because of global recharge and Hasten, I think my regular self heal has like a 15 second downtime, Dwarf's is like 20 seconds. Between the two, one is almost always up. I also have Conserve Energy which is a 50% endurance reduction click power that has about 50% uptime without slotting it.
- Nukes: yes, Human form can Dawn Strike (about every 40 seconds) and Photon Seekers (every 60 seconds) at point blank range does about the same damage albeit in a tighter radius. You also get the equivalent of Foot Stomp in Solar Flare.
- Team Benefit: outside of Leadership skills, not really. There's a single-target heal that I skipped and terrible area stun that I also skipped.
- Light Form gives you 52.5% resist to everything but Psi, a 30% endurance boost that's better than Stamina, and the aforementioned Mez resist. It's also a click power so it can't get toggled off.
- Yes, it's not great against hard targets. Your single-target chain is only 3 attacks.
- Funnily enough, Quantum/Void enemies aren't kryptonite. Early on, their attacks mez you but the damage itself isn't so bad. Once you get Dwarf and Light Form, they're nothing special.

I have all 3 forms but I generally only use 2. Human form for all the PBAoEs and single target damage, Nova for ranged (because it literally does twice the damage). Since Light Form and click powers carry over into the other forms, Nova Form is a mini-Blaster with 85% resistances and limitless endurance. You do have to drop back into Human to re-up Light Form but you get used to it. The Light Form crash is 50% Health/Endurance but the self-heals take care of it instantly.

The only thing that really makes it team unfriendly is Knockback. Most of the bigger attacks cause it but there is a Knockdown IO you can slot to make it so everything stays put.