Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Caidin posted:

I got told today that Lord Recluse is just wearing a techno spider legs backpack like most of his organization

No, his spider legs are organic, they're real. He wears armor over them to protect them + make them more dangerous, though. Someone going by just looks might think they're robotic, but it's armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Harrow posted:

I really want new Blaster primary sets based on two things from other ATs:
  • The animal-related blasts Masterminds get with the Beasts set, like throwing a swarm of bugs or siccing a flock of ravens on enemies. I loving love that raven animation.
  • The shuriken throws in the Dominator's Martial Assault secondary set. Those animations own and I want a ninja-focused Blaster set that uses them.

This is one set and it is Shinobee Blast

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hakarne posted:

So my kid (7) wants to play this but COH can be a bit... complicated. What would be a good, simple AT for them to follow me around with? I'll be on a Brute so probably something ranged, but hardy (literally as I type this sentinel pops into my head). Something with flashy/fun damage, survivable, and maybe a few useful heals/buffs/debuffs for when I PL it for them.

Any suggestions? I'll run a few suggestions by them so they can "choose" their powers.

Sentinel is the simplest, their gimmick basically will get triggered in combat by just using attacks on enemies. Ranged stuff is pretty flashy, toggles keep you sturdy but simple. no really fancy secondary things like holds or buffs to worry about

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

stumbled onto the genius idea to use Water Blast as ectoplasmic goo and made a ghost

Sentinel felt like it could kind of best represent the untouchable ghostly nature of her so went with Energy Aura, and it's been cool so far. gave it a nice green tint with the Energy Glow options and it looks great

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

CoH never getting size changing stuff when CO launched with stuff that could make you like 30-50 feet tall without any problem kinda tells us all we need to know about engine limitations. clearly they would have done it if the game would play nice with it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

LordSaturn posted:

that is a wild claim to make, given how Draysha was used by us

i meant in the sense that the game didnt suddenly have a meltdown if you were really tall. there were some quirks to it but it was mostly fine

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

everyone told me energy melee was bad. but what they didnt tell me is it was also fun. made an energy/energy brute tonight and these attacks feel really satisfying. if there's buffs coming, bring them on

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Mace can be a baseball bat, and it should be

wrenches are also very good

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

finally got a good idea for my mech pilot character, which ive wanted to do for a while

STATESMAN 2.0

HE'S BACK, IN ROBOT FORM

there's the bigass mech suit and also the very small pilot who rides inside it. lotta fun so far, looking forward to hitting incarnate stuff so i can properly go all statesman on people with the lightning

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

is there like a Theoretically The Most Damage build out there? like across everything

and secondarily what would the most straightforward damage blaster set combo be?

i'm mostly just curious, half wanting to roll a blaster and having no good ideas for it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

xxEightxx posted:

That’s nuts. The only thing keeping me from not rolling another toon was that my list was full. Now I’m going to have a hundred level 6s.

yeah im already at like 70 characters. two of them are 50, maybe 3 others are in the 30s-40s, everything else is around like 10 or so, if not just like, lv2 because I made them and went "actually nevermind"

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Stop Hitting Yourself (And Everyone Else), a very dumb mission architect arc is now available for your enjoyment (on Everlasting since i think this is all split up per-server?). ARC ID 12885
Contains: all the enemy groups it possibly can. also you! there's a lot of you.
Play Today™

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

its just TonyV obsessed with everything being Done Legally somehow roping the homecoming people into his madness, im sure

like, this is working fine as-is, NCsoft isn't bothering the homecoming team or anything. just let it go, who cares about having an NCsoft Approved stamp on your server? who does that benefit? what does it change? its a lot of work for nothing other than bragging rights that you're The Official Server and the others Aren't

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

They don't even accept donations past a specific set goal each month to cover server operating costs, I don't think they're going to be monetizing anything.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

hup posted:

Branching narratives? Have they done that before?

There's been some really minor stuff like 'you helped this guy so he shows up later VS you didn't so he died' but nothing I'd have called like an actual branching narrative

I hope they've figured out how to do real actual branching stuff though. That would be pretty cool.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I really hope they eventually throw together some new MM sets using existing enemy groups. There's a lot of cool things they could do there.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Crasical posted:

I remember reading through one of the post-mortem devblogs and Posimiller basically flat out stated that "Since Villains were only 20% of the playerbase, it wasn't ever worthwhile giving them anything nice'.

It made me kind of depressed.

this stuff is self-fulfilling too. make nothing for villains and people won't play them. if they had put the effort in, more people would have played villains- but it was clear the devs only made stuff for heroes so people played heroes

its like the WoW devs suddenly deciding to just not make Horde content anymore because more people play Alliance or something. its total nonsense

i'm really hoping that we see more villain stuff made now that there's new content happening though. people are hungry for it, they want it, there just isnt anything there

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

if anyone who has the City of Titans thing can show us like, all sliders set to max and min for both dudes and ladies, on like a generic tights look with nothing fancy going on, that would be rad

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

LordSaturn posted:

is there a City of Titans thread? not trying to kick anybody out, just wondering if there's discussion I've been missing

generally, consensus has been that we should wait until theres like an actual game to discuss to make a CoT thread. now might be the right time for someone to do one? but no there isn't one yet

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

City of Titans has good sliders. you cant usually do this kind of build for ladies in anything. it rules

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Nice. Tiny hands though.

yeah, i scaled them up but they're still too small. they need to let hands get bigger. wrists don't seem to scale at all yet either which is really weird looking.

work in progress stuff, i'm sure these things will change

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Messed around a bit more with trying to fine tune slider stuff and made a glowy boy. kinda nice to be able to make some good looking faces after CoH's limits and CO's bad base model

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i'm just really happy with this costume so i wanted to share it

energy/energy sentinel and lots of fun to play. character's a spoiled rich valley girl who's got a mutation that makes her an engineering super-genius, real queen bee type and absolutely just the worst, most self-absorbed person you'll ever meet

so basically just a girl version of tony stark i guess

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Looks great! Is that her actual hair sticking out the top of power armor, or did she sculpt her hairstyle in metal? Either way I'm tempted to try and recreate some of her look for my Hawkeye-by-way-of-Ironheart archery Blaster. :D

i hadn't thought about that and now i don't know. just figured it was her actual hair but the metal thing is ridiculous enough to be a good idea too

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ghost of Starman posted:

:D I think I got most of the look nailed down (Mecha body and legs, Imperial Defense gloves+shoulders+boots if anybody else needs it); mind if I ask which of the auras she's using?

the pink glow around her is actually the Energy Aura defense set (just Kinetic Shield set to the Glow version), the flaring glow coming from her eyes is Bio Plasma

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Has the homecoming team said anything about what they're working on content wise? Or are they holding back until they get approval from ncsoft?

they've already released a few new story arcs and costume parts. i dont think they're waiting on ncsoft for anything, it just takes time for volunteers to make and test things

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Homecoming feels kid-friendly as long as they're not hanging out in Pocket D or something, and with the caveat that sometimes pickup groups are just going to have awful people in them like anything else on the internet does. But by and large the game and the community are totally fine for most kids to be playing around with! CoH is nice that way, since it starts with the superhero stuff as a baseline which is generally pretty kid-friendly.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The SCORE team are the only ones who have the original character database with progress in-tact and they aren't sharing (apparently because they never made backups and did a bunch of gross poo poo like piloting people's characters who weren't on the server or who had passed away.)

nobody ever played characters other than their own. they had really thorough checks to make sure you were the owner of an account before they'd grant you access to your characters, and it was a 1:1 thing so you couldn't grab a friend's account alongside your own or anything like that. people started some really malicious rumors about SCORE back when they were angry about the code not being public but this stuff was blatantly untrue

also the character database is gone now, because if they kept it around NCsoft was going to take legal action. its entirely deleted, wiped, etc. nobody has access to it anymore.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i cant believe this name was available

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I really only play on Everlasting and I do a ton of RP, the community's generally pretty good. Smaller but better quality than live CoH had, if you ever did any on Virtue there. And with the base code stuff there's a lot of places people can hang out beyond just hitting up Pocket D. I do also see some people RPing next to the Atlas statue's foot almost 24/7. But anywhere you go the quality's going to vary wildly, just because that's how RP goes in MMOs. I think there's more good RPers around than bad but it's all subjective.

There's a lot of RP supergroups around but pretty much any that advertise via broadcast or global channels in-game are like, weird and gross. I think the Homecoming discord is probably a better place to go if you're looking for a more permanent sort of supergroup to hang with.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 12, 2020

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

its true, spiderbite is in there. please enjoy kicking my rear end

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Inzombiac posted:

Somehow the name "Liefeld" wasn't taken so I did my civic duty.

Turns out Beam/Time Blasters are fun.

need to change one of the boots to like a thigh-high. do guys get those? they gotta get something like that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the Teleport pool changes sound super cool. a combat teleport plus the flashstep thing you can do with the super speed from the experiment pool, combine it with elec melee and shield defense, and you're just like. everywhere at any time. then you pop that thing that sucks all the enemies in and just rock it.

adding more mobility to CoH is definitely gonna get me interested in playing more again

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Huszsersvn posted:

A friend commissioned an art piece with our characters together. That's my character, Hu'Szsersvn, with Clear View, and Citizen Thirteen with the dual pistols.

I'm on the Everlasting server, where all the roleplayers congregate.

this is really cool. i love your character

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gynovore posted:

I was referring to the furry rat SG, is that for real? I mean I know there are a million furry SGs, but... furry rats?

i have a friend who's in that SG

it seems a lot like something goons would enjoy, tbh. buncha weirdo rats living underground in a ramshackle sewer town

they had a wonderful thanksgiving dinner

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Freakazoid_ posted:

psi melee is great for making Raziel from Legacy of Kain, or maybe Psylocke from X-Men

aesthetically, that's about it

works pretty well for green lantern types too, even if it's mostly limited to fists or slashy energy blades

if it was possible to use it with a control secondary or forcefield secondary it'd be pretty easy to do a lantern pretty effectively

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

there was, at least, one very visible change to Homecoming that NCsoft required them to do. previously the private server had been referred to as 'City of Heroes: Homecoming', but NCsoft told them to change it to 'Homecoming: City of Heroes'. (was mentioned a while back here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/21675-state-of-the-project-august-2020/ )

i don't know why they'd do this, but it's not the first time i've seen a company request something like that. Mega Man Maker, a fangame that's basically Mario Maker but for classic Mega Man levels, was originally just named Mega Maker. then Capcom got involved and told them that they had to change the name of their project to Mega Man Maker. it's not really clear why. but they've been allowed to continue development as usual ever since.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

deep dish peat moss posted:

The grin face is the best and I don't understand why everyone doesn't use it all the time, especially with the Death Mask Eyes or Bug Eyes.

i used it on a character back on live, with some makeup to make it look like it had hosed up lips and some random dude liked the look of the character so much they sketched him lmao

truly an underrated face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Early CoV development was a game very similar to what we got, it's just that Arachnos was originally one of several villain groups you would have potentially been working for instead of the only one. You were going to pick from a few different options at character creation like Arachnos, Crey, etc, and work your way up the ranks through whatever mission storylines they had.

But that was a lot of additional work for little benefit so they just cut the rest and focused in on Arachnos exclusively. They were never doing anything fancier than what was done in the end with CoV, just different flavors of the same thing.