Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

just because I'll never have a more relevant time or place to post it, I'm just going to say it aloud: it drives me nuts that a fire/fire blaster, fire/thermal corruptor, and thermal/fire defender are all totally different characters. that there isn't just a button I can push to switch roles at the trainer or w/e. it's never going to change, it's foundational to the way the game is built, but I've hated it for fifteen years so now I'm saying it out loud

clone on the phone posted:

I guess I don’t mind taking a hit on my first sale just to get some seed money to get me up and running.

5-selling is how you quickly move all your salvage off so you can just mail the residual inf to your crafting alt

EDIT:

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm still mad they never got around to adding consistent skins to all the relevant parts. For example, monster legs and arms have no matching fire and ice 2, and the feet of monster legs have no fire and ice at all. Monster faces don't let you put on extra horns (or pretty much anything). Champions Online was more flexible than this.

they literally never had boots for the drat steampunk armor texture

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's really hard to raise the stakes on The Revolting Flayed without just becoming a blood elemental

it's me, I'm the one who got The Flayed Man on indom and I went a much more subtle direction with it:

something about the full-body bandages with no eyeholes really adds to the horror, I think. also the crisp white suit.

also: playing a heal-based support for you guys is a real loving drain on my sanity, lol. please be kind to your hapless backup by paying attention to your surroundings

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

nyttyn posted:

Wind Control is actually possible. There's a lot of interest, mechanically it's pretty much all written down and thought out, so it's plausible artist(s) and coder(s) could work on this. I think the powers are actually mostly functional right now and '''just''' (that's still asking a lot) need art assets but I could be misinformed there.

people keep forgetting this, but wind control is in the old Titan costume editor. you can watch all the animations right there.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the origin pools were in service of a very definite unfilled need that the game had, it's a pity that the travel powers aren't that good

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Honestly I like the idea of "wizard gives up Magic for fancy gadgets from catalogue" a lot more than I do the idea of playing a robot MM. But robots and a beam rifle make that concept more real than anything else I can think of.

recommend immediately rerolling out of FF, unless your intention is to fall asleep in combat

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

boxen posted:

Oh no, I did bots/time, will I be too bored to enjoy the game?

no, time is busy as poo poo. you will be playing time defender while your bots do the actual damage

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

John Murdoch posted:

Help I keep making high concept computer characters.

augh, fullbright magenta chroma is the best idea to never occur to me

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

You could do some good things with CO's faces if you were prepared to put time and effort in, but otherwise they'd just come out looking weird. CoX's preset faces aren't great but it's easier to feel like your character has a distinct face.

people REALLY latch onto the face thing, to the point where I'd have to address it as a dev even if I didn't see it myself

that said, I think you could fix most of my problems with Assault Rifle if you made all the moves have normal hands-based cast animations. you know, like an Iron Man type setup. or you could be Gun Elemental or Constantly Missed By Snipers

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What are the mechanics of enemies running away? Why would a Scrapper have more runners than a brute?

What are the mechanics of Hasten and permahasten? It says it improves recharge by 70% - do I need the recharge to be 170% of the duration or less?

EDIT: vvv And that's related? Be detailed please.

EDIT EDIT: Thanks!

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 31, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if you take the time to memorize them (~1-2m per category) then workbench 30s are typically 15k for materials and 15k to manufacture, and the important ones like damage and end mod can frequently sell for 100k. it's a pretty profitable racket if you don't get beached by the market.

you save a fuckton of money on recipes if you keep all your workbench IO crafting on one guy, though. memorization rewards you for only caring about 25 and 30 workbench IOs, which is the area where they start being as strong as SOs, and thus optimal to take

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

mastajake posted:

Lol. Yeah people like getting good experience points in a game that values them. It (was) also a cool way to get four buffs until 22. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with Kraken farming. Nothing wrong with old school taunt auras. Nothing wrong with Winter Lord farming. Nothing wrong with AE farming. Nothing wrong with letting people enjoy their loving game. At least the devs had the excuse of wanting to milk out subscriptions.

actually, there are several things wrong with it, but it's alright if you don't care

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

tbqh groups can't call the cops on you if you decide to bail, but sometimes I just want to coast along on solo stuff for a while too

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

they're specifically talking about this part of the LotG set: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Luck_of_the_Gambler:_Defense/Increased_Recharge_Speed

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

MechaCrash posted:

Right. You can always Attune the thing to make sure you get full power and the recharge bonus, though.

Now, to back up and explain some things...

You can benefit from a maximum of five copies of any given bonus effect from a set. Doesn't matter where it came from or how you got it, you can have five instances of it.

There is a set bonus that gives +7.5% recharge.

The Global Recharge bit of LOTG also gives +7.5% recharge.

These are not considered the same bonus, so you can have five of each, thus getting +75% recharge (in addition to whatever other recharge bonuses you can pile up).

five of each but they all have to be in different powers, right? hence the scramble for "mule" powers like Hover that qualify to hold LotG even if they're otherwise not worth it?

and what is attuning?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

khy posted:

I cannot for the life of me come up with a good name for my latest character.

A cyborg from the future, sent back to the past as an experiment. He's only supposed to be there an hour but due to erronious math is now stuck there for a century. He's found a way to get home sooner, by draining the excess energy of the temporal shift and use it to enhance his cybernetic defenses. So the more he fights, the sooner he can return home.

And I'm happy with everything EXCEPT THE drat NAME I cannot come up with anything good.

Longest Hour

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Quantum Reap

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Spanish Matlock posted:

Super excited that this is back. Playing on Indomitable as HandjobofVecna. Nursing some other Taiwangoons through the levels. Hit me up if you see me in game.

/chanjoin GoonSquad

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Imagined posted:

I didn't get to play this in its day but I fired up the private server last night. Holy poo poo, that character creator is boss. The rest of the game seems... wow that character creator is incredible. Every other MMO should be embarrassed of themselves as far as character creation goes.

the game itself is, mechanically, pretty similar to most old MMOs. this was one of the first to ditch autoattacks in favor of "using moves all the time" which is a lot cooler when you have several moves to alternate between. it's also kind of slow-paced solo, so that group combat is at all understandable

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

one thing people forget about 2003 MMOs is that the original holy trinity wasn't tank/healer/DPS, it was tank/mezzer/DPS. CoH's focus on control powers was not really that unusual at the time, it's just that most of the MMOs of that vintage were awful to play and vanished in WoW's shadow

So I'm about to hit 22 on my first character (Archery/Trick Corruptor) and I guess I need to get on the IO train. All I know is that they will scale with my level and that they exist. Can someone give me the quick and dirty so I can make this happen once i level? I'm assuming I buy them on the AH, but I'm not even sure what category to look at.

I'm going to add to what others have said that if you do start crafting your own IOs, try to do all your crafting on one character. Memorization makes it much cheaper to churn out 25/30 IOs as needed.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Drakkus posted:

It was actually Tank/Healer/Mezzer! Or more specifically Warrior/Cleric/Enchanter from Everquest, though it eventually turned into a more general term.

you're right, I always forget where the mezzer fits in

but yeah, EQ had a huge amount of mezzing/buffing stuff in it, it was just wildly loving broken, as I recall, and not fun to play

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Thanks for the IO info guys. I think I will wait until I can craft the 30+ IOs. I guess I should use SO enhancements until then though?

you probably don't NEED any enhancements before 27. slam some blues in Stamina to keep the mana chugging, and make sure to collect your free P2W enhancements to make your damage better. also take a minute to sift through the crap you get as loot, some of those are relevant

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

World Famous W posted:

In base building, is it possible to fully remove the ceiling and what do the Skies FXs do (doesn't appear to be anything)

Trying to make an outdoor garden.

afaik you have to set the "high ceiling" texture to open sky, and then actually make the ceilings be high

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Gynovore posted:

https://massivelyop.com/2019/06/08/city-of-heroes-pleiades/

EDIT: reading between the lines over on Reddit, I *think* that the culprit is Lady Rayne, the transperson who was harassed by Discord nazis a few weeks ago.

EDIT PART DEUX: It wasn't Rayne who pulled the plug but s/he was involved.

that's a loving weird way to talk about a human being, my guy. at what point is her gender relevant to the reddit server shutting down?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

HPanda posted:

Unlock your inner safety warden. Enemy can’t hurt you if they’re all on the other side of the map.

I GUESS I'LL JUST CLICK THIS GLOWY THEN. WEIRD, THERE'S USUALLY MOBS ON THIS MAP

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Enhancement Diversification. The first two enhancements of a specific kind work fully, the third is like 60%, and the fourth through sixth are all in the teens and single digits. Two is chunky, three is solid, anything more is wasteful.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

oh, you remember correctly https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/city-of-heroes-enhancement-diversification/21689

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

gimmicks are generally worth doing, with the apparent exception of DB, where I assume it's always better to use whatever's off CD instead of waiting for a combo to open up

SJ feels pretty good to me, the combo system is just fine. melee cones are always kind of lovely, regardless

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if I ever get admin powers on indom the first thing I'm gonna do is find the guy who rolled a Teferi with no time powers and delete his loving account

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Coward posted:

I would like to play a Tank to play with my friends, mainly because I just want to herd and stand there and let my buddies who have less experience with the game have fun beating up baddies without me dominating each fight. What's the current thinking on the tankiest powerset that just stands there and holds aggro? I have already done the whole Stone Armour thing back on live - is that still the most lazy tank set?

stone armor has severe mobility problems. you can mitigate those by using teleport, but maybe you'd rather not?

I think elec armor has a damage aura (for maintaining aggro) and is also pretty solid, c/d?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

are damage auras more effective at aggroing mobs than non-damage negative auras?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

something that's occurred to me lately is that the CoX AoE cap (i.e. how many dudes an attack can actually hit at once) seems to be 16, vs. the party size of 8. Champions has an AoE cap of 5, for a party size of 5. this, to me, is the root of so many issues

also I want to respond to bits I've skimmed out of John Murdoch's post but I'm gonna take a minute to actually read all of it

EDIT: okay yeah, that was the only thing I saw was wrong: Lemuria wasn't an expansion, it was launch content.

Lemuria never loving worked right, and in fact they had to permanently disable the zone's giant monster (the Megalodon) because it never loving worked right. most of what went wrong in Lemuria can be attributed to how poorly both players and AI navigate three-dimensional space. which is what you have to do in Lemuria, because everyone is perpetually swimming in the water, see?

I wish Jack's Grand Vision ever included a detailed answer to itemization/loot, because every approach he's had an underling design for equipment in the superhero games has been deeply flawed or just loving bad. that's right, I think enhancements are a dogshit idea, eat my rear end. perks were better.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 11, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

whatever, I'm going to yell about itemization a little:

So far as I understand it, the Old City that John Murdoch describes, the one with seven origins that was described on their website until the open beta hit, didn't have loot drops or enhancements at all. The flavor justification was alright - since when does Superman rifle through Lex Luthor's pockets after beating him? - but practically this was very unpopular. People like finding cool stuff and people like equipping cool stuff. There's various reasons for this, so yeah, clearly they needed loot, and the Enhancement system is what they came up with.

I never played Old City and enhancements didn't bug me until I saw some other solutions to the problem. Champions has Perks, which are buyable upgrades specific to each power, and a separate equipment system. (Also, actual strength/intelligence/etc stats for your equipment to buff.)

Perks, to me, are extremely good - nearly every power in the game has some weird quirk you can give it. Some of them are more obviously designed to let you build something intended by the devs (Resurgent Reiki/Elusive Monk feeding back on each other to make your dodge tank immortal) and some are a little more open-ended and thus terrible, except where you happen to be able to find a way to exploit them (the Titan Weapons equivalent powers pretty much all have a perk that adds Ignite status, which you can then exploit with a Fire power to never run out of Mana). The system could have benefitted from a more holistic design (what exactly is supposed to dovetail with what, again?) but the fact that you could inherently change how your copy of a power worked is something that City with Set IOs can only barely touch on.

But, then, this isn't an itemization system anymore, so what does Champions itemization look like? At launch, you had nine equipment slots, which would let you equip matching pieces of gear, each of which boosts your stats. But there's eight character stats, and at launch you only cared about the two relevant to your character, so virtually all found equipment is useless to you. You could fix this with crafting: mulch all the random crap you find into materials, use those materials to build equipment you actually give a poo poo about. If you were working your rear end off you could get endgame drops better than what was craftable, and there was some cool poo poo like sonic pistols that could never be crafted, but at least this way you could participate in the endgame reliably without progression grinding. They hosed with this system a couple of times, including limiting what stats could be crafted into what slots, resulting in a bunch of planning if you wanted your character to be able to use gear effectively in the endgame, but then F2P hit...

The F2P update completely hosed crafting from "something you could do, maybe" to "cash shop gatcha horseshit" with percentage chances of failure and everything. They also reduced equipment from nine slots to six and moved from two superstats to three, which honestly makes a lot of sense. They also added some special gear to the Nemesis vendors, which required a relatively painless amount of grinding to get, which would just always boost whatever your superstats were, and which was account-bound, so you could just buy one set and pass them around as needed. This did solve the problem of "what the gently caress do I wear" but puts us in a condition where casual/low-effort players essentially bypass the entire equipment system...

I think the F2P stuff was mostly a matter of the F2P publisher prompting Cryptic to fit the new business model in the accepted way, but none of the things I've described above are things that I think of with any fondness. All of these systems are broad handwaves at the idea of equipment that, in implementation, have to become hyper-generalized effectiveness boosts, to the point where there's nothing interesting about them that you can control.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Crasical posted:

Okay I just logged in and got shot, there's no defense debuff on the DP Skulls.

I'm still at the, like, 'contemplative' state for my power picks.
Guns. Also Immobilizing dart seems hot trash?
Taking Empty Clips and Bullet rain together for AoE. Empty Clips seems underwhelming but we'll see.
Stacking stealth.
Just stuff.

These two are together to stack the hold and hold bosses.

sooo many blaster secondary T1s are hot trash

empty clips is kind of lame, but it recharges fast

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Hakarne posted:

What's better for hitting poo poo: 9% universal accuracy bonus or 6% to hit bonus? I never understood the maths when people say to hit is generally better

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Attack_Mechanics

here's the important parts:

quote:

Let's say you're attacking something with a power that has a 65% chance of hitting. If you got a +20% ToHit buff, your chance of hitting would go up to 85% (65 + 20). If your target then got a +10% Defense buff, your chance would drop to 75% (85 – 10). If you then had your ToHit debuffed by -23%, your hit chance would drop further to 52% (75 – 23).

quote:

Consider an unbuffed, unenhanced attack that hits 30% of the time. If it got a +50% ToHit buff, its hit chance would rise to 80% (30 + 50). If it got a +50% Accuracy bonus instead, its hit chance would only rise to 45% (30 + (50% of 30), which can also be written 30 × 1.5).

quote:

Accuracy is applied in a second step, after all ToHit and Defense modifiers are applied.

so afaict, the 9% is better if your existing to-hit is more than 66.66%, because 9% of 66.66% is 6%. if you had 70% base to-hit, you'd be getting the equivalent of 9% * 70% = 6.3% bonus, which is better.

quote:

Final hit chances are forced to stay in the range of 5%–95% to preserve a measure of uncertainty and prevent modifiers from making a power automatically hit or miss. This range limit is also applied once in the middle of the calculation, after adjusting for ToHit and Defense modifiers but prior to applying Accuracy, to prevent situations where strong Defense buffs and/or ToHit debuffs render Accuracy irrelevant no matter how high it was.

since your base to-hit is always 95% or less before accuracy is applied, x% of accuracy is never worth more than 0.95*x% of to-hit.

EDIT: there's some interesting mathematical jungles in there (what if you have a -200% to-hit before accuracy? accuracy is way better then, but you're also going to die) but in practical terms I think people are generally trying to ride the 75-95% to-hit zone pretty hard

EDIT EDIT: vvv also I suspect the radiation -def is supposed to be "feeling too sick to move right" and I suppose I always imagined the physical-weapons -def as being "wounded and limping" but it really doesn't seem like the guys building the system we have today were thinking too far ahead

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 12, 2019

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

and tankers, because tankers don't give a gently caress about dealing more damage

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

JohnnyDangerously posted:

So, I'm on the server (yay!) but I could use some guidance. I never got above lvl 25 on the live game, so I'm not exactly sure what to do, especially since I have lvl boosts in the backpocket. If I made a class that relied on groups, like a defender, would I be able to find groups leveling up from 1? Or should I just pop the boost and get in the end game?

Before level 15 or so, leveling groups are just a couple of clicks away, via the LFG tab of the chat window. Either get invited to a dfb group or get one going or just hop in the queue solo. After about three runs of maybe 10 minutes each, you'll be around level 16, which is enough to start bugging goons about running Positron 1.

Or you can just join most of the leveling groups that goons run at any level you want, since you'll just autoscale to their level. You'll be a little useless, but aren't we all?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

CoX powers/building discourse always has this problem. poison is factually, objectively worse than other choices, but it's also factually, objectively fine to play if you want to.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Merilan posted:

I think Empathy really suffers from the fact that you only really need one heal button, tops; Healing Aura (and other similar heals like Twilight Grasp and Transfusion) wind up being able to keep a party topped off so both Heal Other and especially Absorb Pain are just dead powerset slots. It's a really old powerset design and it shows

i.m.e. as Pain Dom trying to prop up a Brute tank, I absolutely loving need Share Pain

the real problem with heal-intensive sets is that healing is very, very reactive, as opposed to laying down shields and maybe dumping some debuffs on the crowd. as a healer, I have to keep track of who seems to be eating the alphas, make sure I always have LoS to them, make sure nobody's stumbling around stunned or blind, etc etc. much easier to play something like Thermal where you have a mix of shields and heals, less firefighting that way

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

friendly reminder: if you do a bunch of basic (workbench) IO crafting on one character, they'll memorize the recipes, greatly reducing the cost of further crafting of the same type: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Memorization_Badges

doing this effectively will probably force you to make an SG base with an enhancement table, though, and there's no special reason why your designated crafter should make any non-workbench recipes, it just makes the workbench IOs much cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I ride bikes all day posted:

If you’re new enough that you don’t know where you’re going to get INF for IOs, please don’t follow advice to start crafting them. Just buy them straight off the AH for like half the cost of making them yourself. If you’re going to have a dozen alts someday all with IOs, sure, make a crafter. Just, you know, do it after you have an actual source of income.

anything that gets to level 27 gets IOs. it would be insane to keep going with SOs after that point. also which IOs sell for cheaper than their constituent parts?