Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

When City of Villains came out it was loving amazing. I remember blowing off RA training in college to get in a few more hours of grinding out missions. The bank robbing missions promised that the villain content would be more proactive than the hero content, which made a ton of sense. Villains don't respond to poo poo; they make the poo poo happen.

But all that promise never really manifested itself. You ended up with a bland carbon copy of the hero content. Just go to contact, go to mission. You're never stealing poo poo, or threatening the world with zombies or whatever. There's hints of that kind of stuff. I kind of enjoyed the Dr. Graves poo poo and the other missions where you're briefly fighting superheroes in Paragon, but in between those moments there's a whole lot of samey stuff. It really poses the question: "What kind of villain are you?" You're just some kind of schmuck working for lovely people in some slightly shittier zones.

Edit: Honestly City of Villains would have made more sense as the Architect system. Make missions, fill them with minions and then be the end boss or something.

When CoV was first announced, the marketing material made it sound like the game would be all about building your secret lair and growing your organisation, while pursuing your evil plots. A lot of people were disappointed when it turned out that the lairs/bases were just guild halls, with no real effect on the game play.

I mean, look at this:

This makes it sound like villains were originally supposed to be way more proactive than they ended up being in the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

My MMs always have far too many macro buttons assigned to dumb poo poo like minion dancing or saluting or costume changes.

The best thing is that you could load new macro configurations from a text file on your harddrive. I would have my minions perform entire plays, by having macro files for each scene, and then the final macro would load the macros for the next scene. I don't know you if you can still do that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Also loads of people refused to use confuse powers because it would slightly reduce the XP you got.
It was so marginal and confused is a good status, so idk.

It's also stupid because the lower xp/mob is more than made up for by the fact that you finish fights and missions faster, increasing xp/time. At least, that's how it was back in the day.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They could have just made villain contacts your minions who find opportunities for you. Instead they were dead set on making villain characters basically mercenaries doing jobs for more important people.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Matlock posted:

This and also they were heavily constrained by the game engine itself. It would have been a lot of work to graft an entire Evil Genius base and minion management game onto the backbone of a running MMO like the players wanted. I mean, like I wanted. I wanted that.

Like I posted several years ago, this seems to have been the original design goal, but I guess they couldn't make it work:

SimonChris posted:

When CoV was first announced, the marketing material made it sound like the game would be all about building your secret lair and growing your organisation, while pursuing your evil plots. A lot of people were disappointed when it turned out that the lairs/bases were just guild halls, with no real effect on the game play.

I mean, look at this:

This makes it sound like villains were originally supposed to be way more proactive than they ended up being in the final product.