Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

tooterfish posted:

I'm not 100% sure what triggers it. If it's fire damage then blazing should do the trick, explosive is smashing damage though so it might not.

Oil Slick is ignited by fire and energy damage, iirc. A good source of that is the cheap-o origin powers you get at level 1 if you're magic (a magic charm) or tech (a short ranged tazer line). It won't take much damage at all to light them up.

Glazius posted:

Can't bring incarnates, Dr. Q is 44 so they don't have Incarnate powers.

One of the things they changed in i24 was upping the level cap on Dr. Q to 45, so you should still have incarnate powers. Unless they rolled that back, in which case they're MONSTERS.

One of the Incarnate Destiny powers is a group teleport, even!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

head58 posted:

How exactly does the LFG queue work from the perspective of the person starting a group? Do they get to choose who from the queue they bring into their team or is it random?

I ask because I had my new character The Spess Mehreen in the queue for DFB the other day and got brought into a group that had three other Space Marine-themed characters in it. I’m pretty sure those 3 were a pre-established group but I’m wondering if they grabbed me to fill the group out for the lols or if it was pure coincidence, which is almost beyond belief.

Either way, it was hilarious.

Pure coincidence, and that's amazing enough that you should have gotten screenshots or something. Maybe next time!

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

The launch era CoH missions could have used a little more work.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

That mission just makes me laugh now but I have to wonder how many support tickets it generated.

That also looks like a very easy layout for it.

It looks easier than it is - that middle room is a mesa connected by bridges, with a whole lower level on the ground floor. There's also a lot of corners in that middle-south room that can hide a hostage. By the time I got to the last room, there were still 2 hostages I had missed and that was after finding 4 of them in that last room alone.

Basically it's bigger than the 2D map (and the large green arrow that's me) suggests, and after thinking you've been as thorough as possible at the end and still needing to find 2 more? Pain in the rear end.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there no way to re-run the entirety of Max's DA arc without getting someone else who hasn't done it? It's structured kind of weird where you break out some of his boys to form a team to attack a base, but at any time you can instead go do the mission with as few as zero allies. When you go back to re-run it in Ouro, though, you start with a mission chosen and I don't see any way to just go run the big mission itself.

I'm looking at the Ouro listing now, and Max's arc is split into 4 separate arcs - the three 'rescue' missions and the last one. You're looking for The End of Vengeance (Dark Astoria, Ch. 3), number 22.14.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Crasical posted:

3) Which Praetorians are still alive post Magisterium Trial?

I think I can answer this one.

Tyrant is depowered and being held by Vanguard, awaiting trial for war crimes. Dominatrix is also in custody for the same reasons but may be granted leniency.

Shadow Hunter was taken over by the Praetorian Hamidon and presumably still roams that earth.

Bobcat escaped the end of the Tin Mage Task Force with her boyfriend Neuron, but when poo poo hit the fan she off-screen gutted him after he tried to abandon her to the invading Devouring Earth in Praetoria. She gets broken out of Vanguard custody by a villain and there's a whole crime spree involved. She, uh, makes suggestions on things to do and lazes around.

Pendragon and Aurora Pena (the Praetorian Aurora Borealis, who retook her body after Mother Mayhem snuffed it in the Minds of Mayhem trial) edit: and Marauder formed The New Praetorians in Brickstown and helped take down a Council-allied Praetorian Calvin Scott.

Infernal is completely MIA, although his axe is found in a forest invested by Preatorian Devouring Earth.

S.D. fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 22, 2019

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Glazius posted:

It's a bit of an ask to expect the Praetorians to trust anybody who looks like, or takes orders from someone who looks like, a Praetor. Which is all the Center really needs, since he doesn't so much have an inner circle as a bunch of people whose chaos he can point away from himself.

Also, the Center has Super Charisma, which makes him extremely convincing to people - you see him use it in a Personal Mission at the end of the new Brickstown arcs.

quote:

The Center called in one of his newly recruited scientists; a man named Doctor Arvin. Several undercover Council agents had recovered Doctor Arvin from Praetoria after hearing that the man was a renowned scientist. The Center used his super-powered charisma to convince Arvin to work for the Council, specifically on a back up plan during the War Walker and Scott project.

[...]

"You should be proud of your work, Dr. Arvin. You've done more than I imagined."
"Thank you, Mr. Tirelli. I assume from the reports that I will be at the head of this project, now that Nosferatu has been captured. We'll all look forward to his return, of course."

The Center was forced to hide a smile. His charisma had turned this good doctor into someone who actually was looking forward to the return of a scientist who looked like a vampire!

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

dexefiend posted:

Storm/Water defender has let me down a bit as of level 25. I feel like i am not actually helping my mishbros.

I don't have buffs or a big heal, am I helping more than I think?

I am bringing like 10% defense all, and 15% damage. I basically cast Ice Storm and Whirlpool.

Am I just at a point where Defender is weak because I don't have slots or my level 30ish power?

I don't have a storm defender so this is mostly my personal preference, but:
-put as much recharge reduction AND the Achilles Heel "chance for -resist" in Freezing Rain
-secondary note, Whirlpool can ALSO take the Achilles Heel proc, but I don't think they stack more than once on the same enemy.
-abuse both Steamy Mist and Hurricane to floor a lot of enemy tohit chances. If knockback from Hurricane is an issue for you, look into getting the Sudden Acceleration proc ("knockback to knockdown") for it.
-when in the middle of people flat on their rear end, Thunderclap is a good option to stun them as they're (trying) to get back up.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

The -KB proc won't help much with Hurricane because you're still going to be actively repelling enemies.

I was probably thinking of Gale, yeah.

Everything else John says is on point, and I always forget just how much -tohit Hurricane has. The team won't NEED healing when they've only got a 5% chance to hit. Just be aware of mobs that can mez you and by extension cause Hurricane and Steamy Mist to drop.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Off the top of my head:

-there's an argument to be made for putting the Gaussian proc (and just the proc) into Aim, so it's a buff that be called on-demand. That means you won't get that last bonus in the set, though.
-Lancer Shot looks hilariously underslotted, and I personally recommend the first Blaster ATO set for it (and all blaster Tier 3 single-target blasts, honestly)
-no knockback protection? Putting a Karma -kb in Afterburner will stop about 90% of the knockback you'll face, and while it looks like you're extremely slot-starved, there's a pretty big quality of life change (or maybe I'm just frequently haunted by knockback from the blasters I've played)
-you have a lot of powers that would be great as Luck of the Gambler global recharge mules, and shittons of recharge is always fun, if only to get Overcharge up as much as possible
-on that note - you didn't get Overcharge as soon as possible at 32? SHAMEFUL. SHAAAAAAAAME
-This is my personal preference, but I'd drop Tactics and Victory Rush for Vengeance (always fun on groups) and Combat Jumping (LotG/Karma mule, plus there's some quality of life improvements just by jumping higher and with more vertical air control)
-since you're nearing 50, what are you considering for your Alpha Incarnate slot?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

OgNar posted:

Also, please name Goonbox 2 or Modern Goonbox or something to divide the 2.

Goonbox: The Next Generation

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
gently caress... gently caress!!!!

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Ali Aces posted:

I love the xp/inf fix, partly because it means I can go back to gaining veteran levels on my farmer to show off my e-peen

smh at not stopping at Vet level 69

smdh

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Dinictus posted:

[*]Be challenged! The AE arc pits you through the level 30-40 bracket (barring the first mission, it makes use of Sharkhead Island enemies that just... won't scale up past 30 at all).

Yeah, this is a limitation of how they set up mobs and level ranges, it's dumb. It's why you don't see Hellions past level 15, for example.

In the spirit of Goon Christmas everywhere, I'll take a look at it this afternoon when I log in (Arc ID: 35416, for those wanting to play at home!). Goon arcs are frequently really good and/or really goofy, they're great.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Alright, that was a pleasant arc! There are ambushes in the 3rd mission (when you defeat the mobs around the crates) that don't have a spawn-in text which were a surprise, but otherwise I was just cruising along on my blaster.

The souvenir was :discourse:

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Not one of my characters, but the bio always cheers me up when I read it:

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Electric Armor specifically has resistance to endurance drain in its toggles. It’s not something you can directly slot/enhance for in other sets. Iirc the recent electric therapy set has a power that’ll give the team end drain resist.

Defensive sets (Super Reflexes, Energy Aura, probably Ice Armor and others) tend to do alright against Sappers, because they have to be able to hit you to drain end, but I believe the rez from Super Stunners is auto-hit.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I've been a fan of Electric Armor since Live. Solid resists, a passive 20% recharge bonus, and it keeps your end bar full in several ways.

As someone who rolled Energy Melee/Energy Aura brute back on live when City of Villains launched, you have no idea how infuriated I was to see Elec Armor. Energy Aura was in a really bad place for a long time.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
The good news is that attacks from mobs always roll against the higher defense value where applicable.

The bad news is that there are (fortunately rare) attacks that are untyped, and whether that's deliberately to screw with high defense builds or just programmer oversight is up in the air.

Thirdly, consider grabbing Combat Jumping from the Leaping pool - it's a little bit of extra defense AND gives you a higher jump height with air control.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Every time I've encountered that bug, it's because the leader of the Task Force got disconnected for whatever reason, and then the game automatically makes the next person on the list the new leader... but if that guy was being sidekicked up to level-match with the leader, then he's suddenly back at his old level, the rest of the team is matching their level, and now everyone's fighting purple-conning mobs. The only thing you can do is have everyone logout (not quit the task force, logging out will keep you still in the TF), wait about 5 minutes, then log back in and hope things have corrected themselves.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
my first speedrun was a goon ITF. took 29 minutes, which was lightning fast compared to the 75-90-ish minute runs I was used to. Everyone but the lead brute (who I think was Tommy) kept dying to the ambush waves in mission two, and I couldn't stop laughing

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Well part of the issue is that the harder difficulty levels start locking you out of things. Some of these at least make sense (do the original LRSF back when it launched, with Statesman at level 54 and no one with IO set bonuses or incarnate powers!), some I feel are pretty lame (Master of (x) Task Forces from Live now lock out Incarnate powers), to 'this is now a slog' (Relentless Aeon Strike Force making all mobs +4/x8, increased stats across the board, and you can't use any non-rez inspirations). Getting an Emp Merit per AV kill is... not QUITE like stealing pocket change from them (that'd be getting an Astral Merit instead) but it doesn't feel rewarding.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
That's mainly why I don't go on pickup groups for the ITF anymore. For the most part I'd prefer to run on cruise control at +0 or +1.

I think the worst I've ever been on was like a +3 Positron TF because of the leader disconnecting. Ruin Mages! :argh:

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Soonmot posted:

why would you run posi 1 or 2 at any increased difficulty?

In this specific case it was that we were 2 missions in and the leader disconnected, so we all got shifted down to a person who had left their difficulty on +4 (which you can't see on other people in TF mode). "Well how hard could it be?" we said.

Welp.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Elec/Shield Stalker hasn't been nerfed yet, right? I've always wanted to try one.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I keep meaning on planning out a Lets Play of all the Praetoria arcs - there's a lot of interesting stuff there and I think the Imperial City Crusader arc is some of the strongest stuff they made. the 15-20 stuff partially holds together but was clearly not heavily looked-over for bugs, but the overall ride from level 1 to 20 is still smooth.

It's content that isn't really run often at all because even just duoing it with a second person destroys the xp curve and you out-level contacts like crazy, but I honestly never thought of it as boring content, if that makes sense.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

probably too late, but how about "Doc Chill Pill"

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Someone can look up the details in the patch notes or the homecoming wiki, but they actually did fiddle with some of the Mastermind primaries last year.

I know that Ninja MMs can now slot the upgrade powers with defense buff enhancements, and that'll boost the minions when it's used on them.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I haven't played in ages, but I remember some defense changes a while back and I'm wondering how they affect my one built-out incarnate character since I'm not entirely clear on what exactly changed. He's a Corrupter using Scorpion Shield and sets to softcap SLE defenses. Is that still a decent way to go or should I be looking at some different sets now?

Basically - they narrowed down every power in the game to have 1-2 types (usually a positional and an element). You should be fine.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

If you're really concerned you can build for ranged defense and just hover your way to victory.

Unless you're fighting Arachnos Mu, where their lightning attacks are pure energy and nothing else.

Mainly my objection to them doing this was that it's a bunch a busywork but also that they're making changes based on lore/thematic things.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
They adjusted things so that he downgrades to a 'regular' boss, but that mainly means he's got the same amount of HP as a boss mob of his level - he's still real dangerous because of holds and the ability to summon a fire imp or two.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Twibbit posted:

What happened to mass confuse? Used to be a good tool for me back on live

I imagine it hasn't been changed, so it's more that it's another control on an already control-heavy set that's on a long recharge timer. Still useful solo, less so on teams because outgoing damage is now higher and faster (which sort of devalues control as a support in general).

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
This is why the answer to 'what's the best powerset combination for (x)' is 95% of the time 'whatever you decide to put time and effort into working on and playing'.

quote:

The late Donald Lopez - a veteran of the 75th in World War II - once wrote that a pilot assigned to fly a manhole cover would stand up before long and say nothing ever flew better, and he was absolutely right.

Time Powersets in City of Heroes work the same way.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
They're trying to move away from it but they haven't fully depreciated Tequila yet. Maybe try revalidating?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

So this came up in the NSFW Randomwaffle 3 thread. Any goons know the story behind it? Was it a sincere thing someone on the OForums made? Was it goon made, to mock pubbies?

Almost certainly to mock pubbies. Hell, I think I remember seeing them in the Pocket D on Virtue.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
They were/are trying to do that on Homecoming but they were also trying to get the new content patch out at the same time so I presume something had to give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Crasical posted:

BUT Homecoming just also added their first 5th Column quest giver, so doing work for nazis isn't considered a bridge too far anymore, I guess. :shrug:

The worst part (well the other worst part beyond having to work with the 5th) is that his mission arc is so bland as to be forgettable. Literally nothing happens in it that’s memorable beyond you rescuing the guy who is your next contact somewhere in the middle. I can barely get mad because you could have a training dummy giving the missions and nothing would change.