Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've had decent experiences with pubbies but I try to group with goons as much as possible. Ideally I'll just ping pong between the two unless there's a massive migration to the goon server or back to Indom.

Also I'm curious as to if any of the servers will ever "finish" the Incarnate track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Amstrad posted:

Running Tequila 1.0.0.20 and I can still connect to W18 no problem. Was there some sort up update to Tequila?

Yeah, I'm having zero problems either.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Did/does the City of Heroes homecoming server cull old accounts? My email doesn't seem to be tied to an account anymore. No huge loss since i'm just screwing around waiting for POE's new league to launch, but this is odd..

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Did one of the homecoming servers get dropped at one point? I re-downloaded the game, and my level 50s are gone, but all (or at least most) of the rest of my alts are still there :(

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Freakazoid_ posted:

CoH judges only like three things: edgelords, big titties, and edgelords with big titties.

This has been my experience too, and why I stopped bothering entering those contests back when I was an active player.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gynovore posted:

You have to remember, NCsoft is not a normal company. They had a product that was making them money, and would likely continue to make them money, and they shut it down. Some people offered them money to not shut it down, and then said no. Then after it closed, people offered them money for the code and rights, and they still said no. Heck, people offered them money for just the IP, and got shot down, even though NC did jack poo poo with it... oh wait, they used Statesman's image in a lovely MOBA that got closed fifteen minutes after launch. Not to mention that releasing a MOBA in 2018 is like throwing your money into a flaming sewage dumpster.

In short, NCsoft is not a sane or rational company and should not be expected to act rationally.

While coh was profitable even in the end, Paragon was losing money for ncsoft and iirc had failed to develop couple of other games ncsoft had paid for.

Could they have kept the servers up? Probably. But how much would they be making once development stopped for good?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Looking back, I can't believe COH got shut down way back in 2012. If I had to guess offhand, I'd have said 2015 or so.

Shame that there's been no progress on anyone actually getting the rights or formal permission from NCSoft or building a successor game since then.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gynovore posted:

Evil? No. Insane? Yes.

Again, from a purely corporate standpoint, shutting down Paragon wasn't even a bad idea. The studio was losing money, they had nothing to show for the cash infusions NCsoft put in to get additional games/IP, and while the game was profitable, it wasn't a great earner.

They could have kept a graveyard crew going to keep the lights on, but even then, how long would the game have taken to stop being profitable if the game stopped having content updates (or simply only updated Paid cosmetics and the like?)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gynovore posted:

I don't have access to actual numbers, but according to Matt Miller, under freemium the game was more profitable than it was before. Granted Miller's word may not be gospel but I doubt he would lie.

I mean that could be true, and Paragon could have still been deeply in the red if they were throwing a lot of money at other projects that never panned out.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Modern online games are entirely based on bilking whales for vast sums of money. CoH tried that.... but you can't sell skins in a game where everyone looks unique. You can't sell stat modifiers when no one can see your sick numbers. And the costume pieces were thin on the ground compared to the huge existing costume library.

There were no opportunities for growth, and anyone playing CoH wasn't playing one of NCSoft's other games, all of which are more aggressively monetized. You can be sad they axed a good game people enjoyed playing, but they don't care about people having fun. Why would they? They're a corporation.

I'd imagine if you really wanted to be evil you could do the following:

Step 1: finally finish the incarnate system

Step 2: Make the final tiers of the incarnate system a total bitch to finish. Gate it with time limited drops

Step 3: Cash shop items to skip step 2 so that you can get your tier 5/6 incarnates easily if you dropped 50 bucks or so.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Shoehead posted:

Just popping in to mention its the day where we say gently caress you NC Soft.

So you know... gently caress em

I fully get why NC Soft cut Paragon studios loose. I actually blame Paragon a lot more more for retail COH dying than NCSoft since they were hemorrhaging money even with COH still being profitable.

I just don't know why NC Soft didn't put the game on life support or even build out a small content team to build out occasional new content to keep the F2P train going. It's not like development was going that fast under Paragon. Get a new team to poo poo out new costume pieces and missions and maybe eventually some new sets and finish the incarnate system.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gynovore posted:

OMG serious?

That's like the least surprising thing knowing the post-NCSoft COH community and how their voting preferences for contests like these go.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gynovore posted:

I was referring to the furry rat SG, is that for real? I mean I know there are a million furry SGs, but... furry rats?

I just meant furries in general.

From my time loving around in homecoming, I noticed that a lot of groups hosting any community contests either highly prioritized furry entries, or wankbait waifu stuff when choosing winners.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FrostyPox posted:

Wasn't there a thing where NC gave Paragon a bunch of money for a project but Paragon used it for a different project? Or was that just a rumor

This is what I heard.

COH was a money maker but not a great one, but Paragon took money for a few new games/development, and hosed around and produced nothing with it. So NCSoft was losing money overall on the studio. Again, I don't know why they didn't just put it on life support, but I suppose it wasn't profitable enough to worry about

Nonexistence posted:

Look how will we know they have a case of the not-gays if they don't give first place to a default setting female model with skin colored tights

You joke, but the reason I stopped doing any of the contests (besides how loving long they take), is seeing a premade costume with a single theme-specific icon slapped on the chest win a big contest while the actually really cool and interesting designs that were actually directly themed didn't even get shout outs.

I figured the costume contest crowd was either full of horny nerds or it was incestous and full of people just granting their friends wins and a waste of my time either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bakalakadaka posted:

the best costume contest was the one where someone had everyone do the rock emote and instead of announcing a winner they did the paper emote, said everyone loses, and flew away

Holy poo poo, I love it