Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just to get this into the new thread, if you’re playing on the pub server, here’s the easiest, no luck or market acumen/research involved method of getting money:

Do any story arc. Take the reward merits you get and trade them in for 3 enhancement converters for each merit. Sell the enhancement converters for 100,000 apiece on the auction house.

It’s not the most efficient means of getting money, but it’s a surprisingly good baseline and requires no real effort, skill, or luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

clone on the phone posted:

Isn’t that a bit risky? I admit I don’t know how the whole thing works but if I’m trying to get roughly a million for something and it ends up selling for a fraction of that I’d be super bummed.

It depends on what it is. If there are hundreds or thousands of bids, you’re pretty safe. If there are three bids, it’s not gonna be worth the risk.

For rare salvage, you’re gonna get 900,000 or more almost guaranteed, but I have sometimes seen some go for 7-800,000.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The pubs on Indom seem pretty nice. Logged on and people were going for the giant monsters in Croatoa so I joined in. We took down the pumpkin then the pumpkin and Jack, but didn’t get the badge for Jack. Left the group, then someone spotted Jack walking around by himself so invited everyone back together to the team. That was super nice, and we got the badge for Jack in that fight.

I guess when the pumpkin and Jack are fighting each other, it messes with the badge due to them damaging each other or something.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I love my Elec/Bio stalker, but yeah, the times are few and far between where I get to go "Ha, and now the enemy can't do anything because they're out of endurance!" Would be nice if more of the powers absorbed it instead of just knocking it out, even though endurance is really not an issue with /bio.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Caidin posted:

Is it my imagination or is the First Ward mobs all significantly harder targets then the typical 20-30 faire? Like the Forlorn and their super strength punches hurt even at 60% Res, the Shepards are just dumping -def and -acc all over you and even those Dreg dudes feeling like their working me over a little more than seems reasonable.

Not sure, but I can say with confidence that I freaking hate the possessed soldiers since I’m running a stalker right now. Whole drat enemy type that eliminates a big part of the AT’s core. Hooray for the new out-of-stealth assassination strike mechanic at least.

For those not familiar, the possessed enemies take a small amount of damage before dropping their meat shields and being regular mobs. So assassin strike from hiding does effectively nothing. My best move is starting with an aoe and playing like a squishier scrapper with a bit more burst.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Masterminds are a fantastic chill out class, though. But yeah, they’re not really the best for any particular role, but they’re drat good at most things depending on the power sets. Loved my bots/dark back on live.

I’ve tried beast/time, but it’s not especially clicking for me so far. Thinking of trying a different combo soon. Maybe mercenaries or thugs.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Caidin posted:

I'mma be honest, it bothers me that this extremely superhero MMO has little to no gorilla representation and that would have been as good a place as any.

See, now this just makes me want a primate MM primary. And then make like 10 of them with other people and sit em all under Atlas/abuse the "goto" command.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think my biggest hangup with a lot of sets is that I don't like just doing one damage type, especially smashing or lethal. I'm a fan of the multiple damage types to help smooth things out a bit, though I guess that also means that some enemies get an extra defense check.

One way that they could have improved things for customization and getting people over the hangup of using lethal damage sets could have been some customization of damage types. Like after doing a mission set for the midnighters, getting the ability to convert some percentage of damage to fire, for example. It'd be a reasonable buff since it could let people switch up damage types depending on what they're fighting, and would be something they would have to earn in-game, but wouldn't be overly powerful since the base numbers stay the same. I guess it'd be sort of like pistols now, but without the different secondary effects.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
So the game really wanted everyone to know that this one story arc, Smoke and Mirrors I think, was written by Hickman. Got a special note in the mission text and everything. Only thing is that the arc is terrible and boring. It's "We'll port you back in time to stop the Circle of Thorns by rescuing this one victim. Oh no, we were too late. Let's try it again. Oh no we were too late. We'll try it again. Oh no we were too late and had the wrong twin. Fine, we'll send you to go stop the demon summoning and pit you against an overtuned boss in one of those terrible CoT maps. The day is saved hooray."

Meanwhile, this random story villain-side with no listed author, Destiny Follows, is actually pretty fun and much more engaging, with a finish that was really damned good.

Was the Hickman story actually any good in the comic? Cause it was crappy in-game. Maybe it was just a bad translation of a comic book into the game, but anyone who read it have an opinion?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This is why I expect /Bio to be insane on a stalker.

I can confirm that it is awesome. It pretty much needs everything in the set, but so much ability to adjust what it gives me on the fly.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
One change I'd love to see (but I know isn't gonna happen) is for non-MM pets to not despawn once they hit a certain recharge threshold. If their recharge time is pretty much their out and about time, then resummoning them or waiting around so that they don't depop during a fight is just a pointless annoyance.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just a little something special for all the villains who yell "It's [character name]!"

Gonna have to make some macros for Gang War.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Sunglasses up, sunglasses down, wetsuit, super tourist getup, European variant, badly sunburned variant, turn-of-the-century swimsuit variant, lifeguard.

Assuming your powers are water-based, you could make a sandcastle knight variant while changing some of the powers to off-white to become sand.

HPanda fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 2, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Did the Homecoming server make it so that going Rogue/Vigilante was fine from a gameplay perspective? Or are those still more just stepping stones to hero/villain?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I honestly would have preferred it if they had just turned off experience gain in DFB past lvl 25. I've done all the other content before that level multiple times, so I'd rather just get to the point where the powersets really start to shine and fill in whatever else with Ouroboros later.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Jazerus posted:

do tfs

if you do posi 1, posi 2, and synapse and you aren't at least level 20 (particularly with the xp boosts turned on) you're doing something wrong

on the other hand, feeling obligated to do synapse is bad and there should probably be a solution that doesn't involve synapse

The task forces just mean I need to be able to set aside at least enough time to do them. DFB is pretty much always recruiting and the runs are so short.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

The idea that anyone can stand to blow up the same exact scripted spawns over and over with half of their fun powers turned off instead of doing literally anything else boggles the mind.

I know I've bitched about DFB a lot for various reasons but even newspaper missions at least have randomized spawns instead of the exact same enemies standing in the exact same spots every single time. They're not even randomized within the ranks, it's always Lost swordsmen, never gunners, etc.

It's not so much because it's fun, but because it's a sort of fun amplifier. I can run the same content I've run many times before for hours, or I can do it for one hour. Then I can play the content that I find actually fun.

I should note here that my first time playing an archetype, I'll take them through the usual content just to get a feel for them. But there's not enough difference between, say, a Thugs MM and a Robotics MM in those first 20 levels that I need the extra practice.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Sophism posted:

:allears:

I adore everything about this.

Thanks!

And I'm not sure I've ever been more sad that I can't customize the costumes of MM pets. On the upside, it is possible to have one set up a boombox while the rest dance.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Mayhems were an awesome addition to the game back when City of Villains came out. The Safeguards are just awkward. They really should have made them something where heroes get transported to the Rogue Isles, and then raid a villain's base to foil their dastardly scheme. The destructibles in this case could have been traps/bombs/power sources, etc. for the base. I get that heroes are more about defending than assaulting, but there needs to be a gameplay consideration.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Nonexistence posted:

What everyone else said but with my added $0.02 that you should basically never be soloing unless you have a very specific reason for doing so. Missions, TFs, whatever - doing it with friends or a gaggle of pubbies is waaay higher on the fun-o-meter.

It might sound silly since video games and all, but I really like to read mission text and take time out to read over the speech bubbles. This is pretty much impossible when grouping.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I wish more people used the LFG tool just on its own. Red side, so far I’ve only seen it used by premade groups to get into things like DFB. Not so much individuals all queueing up.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
There was that one energy blaster move, nova I think, that would explode grey mobs hilariously far if slotted for it. I think they ended up nerfing it at some point.

I had forgotten how much fun knockdown in this game was. Playing a /storm mastermind is reminding me.

So my "Raining Men" name is already paying off. Had an Outcast boss yell "Stop Raining Men!" and it just makes me think he's getting frustrated with all the men I'm raining on him.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

S.D. posted:

The launch era CoH missions could have used a little more work.

I would absolutely adore a temp power that unlocked the map and labelled all mission objectives. CoT maps are the absolute worst.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Jazerus posted:

The Tourminator, because he was here for a brief tour

The S.S. Minnow 2.0
And the Rest
Thurston Howell XIX

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The game was remarkably innovative given that it came out in 2004. It saw development and improvements up to 2012, but the core of the game is from 2004.

It’s still really unlike anything else on the market, though. There’s a reason everyone missed it so much.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

clone on the phone posted:

I've been pretty diligent about keeping my DOs up to date because I hate missing and power is power. What's the best way to turn merits into cash?

While keeping your sanity? Sell enhancement converters on the AH.

If you have time to burn, play the market with crafted enhancements (using converters to turn cheap enhancements into expensive ones).

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I’m having trouble deciding between playing my SJ/elec or TW/Bio brute. They’re both so satisfying to play. Do I focus on Space Pirate or Ent Knight...

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Fried Sushi posted:

TW/Elec brute, best of both worlds

I've seen too many of those because of Lightning Reflexes. Really, I'm more torn between TW and SJ. I'll probably end up playing both of them, but I think I need to focus my resources on one or the other. Brute IO's get expensive.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Titan weapons also has slightly extra range on its attacks, including its aoe’s, compared to other power sets, if I’m not mistaken.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I haven't been able to get a Titan character leveled up yet. In team content I'm always left behind because momentum expires so quickly.

Maybe some goons would let me leech up to 20...

I haven’t done any group content with mine yet, but it’s just so satisfying on solo content. I get a smile on my face when multiple enemy groups are bunched together and think surrounding me is a solid strategy.

Wish I could change the damage type to lethal, though. I’m swinging around a giant fuckoff axe. I should at least have a lethal component.

This set does make me think that a great theme duo would be a monster hunter and Palico. Could probably get pretty close to a Val Hazak set costume and go TW/WP scrapper and a tiny kitty-costumed...traps/fire defender maybe? Traps/Arrows? Probably super leaping on both.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think some of these mission door locations are busted. Just took on a mission to rob a bank in Cap Au Diable while the Luddites attacked power lines nearby. So I entered the mission by going to...Port Oakes. A small, out of the way motel in Port Oakes. And inside that motel was the famous Cap Au Diable bank, complete with gremlins who emerge from Cap Au Diable's powerlines.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Could make Bon Wick, the Lumiere/John Wick mashup.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Turtle Sandbox posted:

How important is having "good" powersets for the endgame, have a few chars id like to take to 50 and do some endgame stuff but im always worried im shooting myself in the foot and cant find good info on game balance.

I have an ice/thorns defender and am enjoying it but dont want to block myself from high end content by picking a set the community views as weak and would prefer not to take to group content.

There’s only, like, three power sets that people tend to view as being kinda bad and in need of tuning. Even then, I think the only sets that risk being kicked from groups are knockback-heavy sets. Not sure anyone ever says no to a defender in the group.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

World Famous W posted:

My corruptor that is secondary Storms should go all in and six slot knockback is what I'm hearing, right?

Unlock your inner safety warden. Enemy can’t hurt you if they’re all on the other side of the map.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
No, but you see, "alpha" radiation is obviously the best and strongest. Because the name.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Better not neglect him to alt hell. Stupid Flanders need the most attention.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Hover can be a travel power if you slot it enough :-P

No joke, pretty sure I had it running at base flight speed back on live.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Nature affinity is really good if you set MM pets to goto and aggressive to start each fight. You really want them standing in one place and not going outside of the heal field. If you keep them there, you’re basically running an army of tanks with all the healing they get (between that meadow and all the other resistance/heal/debuff powers).

I’ve been playing a demons/nature character lately (got a good pun with “Seasonal Elegies”) and can confirm this is good fun. My main weakness at the moment is cooldowns on some of my buffs, but this is correcting itself as I slot in SO’s and IO’s. That healing meadow is no slouch on healing, though, and its cooldown is low enough that I can move it as needed.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Remora posted:

Hey, so - what would people say the top 4 MM primaries are? I seem to remember that Thugs and Bots are the top two?

If we're just talking effectiveness and ignoring the "play what you want" mantra, probably Bots, Thugs, Demons, and...Nature maybe? I usually hear people talking about Necromancy and Ninjas having issues, and I'm not a fan of the Merc medic being a minion. None of them are really bad, though. If you want to focus on effectiveness, your secondary is probably more important, especially if thinking about synergy with the primary (long range henchman might do better with a PBAoE heal than an enemy-targeted one, for example), but I feel like MM's more than anything else really are just play what you want. You're gonna get a pain train going regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

LaserShark posted:

I think Beasts scores pretty low due to the fact that pets have little to no ranged attacks, and have to run up to everything to do damage.

Yeah, I just didn't really know what else to put in that fourth slot, and Beast Mastery involves shooting bees and ravens at people, so...