Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
pretty neat when you have explicit fascists featured heavily in the game but you're not allowed to have a character that opposes them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

y'all know that I27 released today right

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Crasical posted:

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mission:Tip_-_Under-the-Table_Job

SO I encountered this in the wild for the first time ever.

:allbuttons:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There is some energy drain resist in other armor sets too, Dark Armor e.g., and a few instances of it that seem to be Tanker only, like Fire has some on Healing Flames.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

toggle management in general is frankly really lovely and it's easy to understand why Cryptic moved away from it entirely in later games.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

I once took a pistol/traps MM to 50 with only the pistol attacks, Traps powers, and I think I took all of the Speed and Boxing pools. Including Spring Attack and Whirlwind.

Do not do this. Never, ever do this.

important note: every character gets two build slots, so you can actually do this just fine and switch builds between the gimmick build and a more orthodox one whenever you want.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's kind of like what current Neverwinter is like except the caps never stop increasing and it costs more like a thousand plus to max out a character. I dunno what modern STO is like but I doubt it's much different.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dark and Electric armor are also pretty strong at psionic resistance, and IO sets that grant toxic/psionic resist give large amounts if you really want to cap it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

dark melee has touch of fear, it's a very good AOE power by melee set standards.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

zzMisc posted:

Do this:

-With all your defense toggles on, open the Powers list with the Powers button above the tray.
-Click "Combat Attributes" to see all your pretty numbers.
-Click the + next to "Defense" to get a look at your defense totals to various positions and damage types.

- right click one of the ones you care about and select "monitor"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

I see what you mean. My melee and ranged aren't bad but everything else seems to be a garbage fire:

I like the idea of being untouchable, but I fear that doing so will require a bunch of super expensive IO's.

for the def oriented sets, like SR as you've chosen, it's not hard at all, you will easily hit all your defense caps with just training enhancements. you will get AOE defense from one of the other powers in the set (Evasion) and you don't have to worry about typed damage at all, positional defense (melee, ranged, AOE) works on everything except a tiny handful of stuff that is not typed. If you hadn't taken Evasion you really should pick it up whenever you're able to, it unlocks at level 35 for scrappers. Lucky is the passive version for AOE def and you should take that too. On tanks and brutes it will AOE taunt stuff in a small radius around you but for scrappers I'm pretty sure it just provides defense.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

They're also made to be repeatable to get at their rewards over and over. This used to be a perk of being a subscriber or paying real money to unlock them, but I don't think HC/SCORE has ever really reevaluated them. The idea of farming them for reward merits or Astrals is pretty archaic when the game spits Empyreans at you for leveling up.

something I've been extremely happy to see the HC devs embrace is the concept that players should be motivated to do content based on which is the most fun, not which is the most mechanically rewarding :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the alternative hide toggle they added that makes you run and jump better (Infiltration I think it's called) is very good, it's hard for me to resist taking it on pretty much any character.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you can PL yourself to 50 from nothing at all in a small number of hours with one of the decent farming builds, you don't need flawless gear to do it and you'll have plenty of money to buy SOs or whatever poo poo off the auction system. you don't need to wait until you get burn, you can fart around until you get your first sources of any AOE damage and just kill low difficulty minions while cramming inspirations. just gulp two purple and a bunch of red insp, level a few times, exit, train, reset map, repeat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

nowadays, tanks can do it too although they tend to get their AOE damage later (do a newbie TF or two) and so can a lot of scrappers. tanks are not quite as fast as brutes at the very top end but they're way, way easier to get comfortable with.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

they got rid of the various 2x inf drop tricks and it's not really that obvious any more that farming is the most efficient way to scrape up money. it's still good but you can do pretty well rushing TFs for merits now, and you can do those with pretty much any character.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

tanks, blasters, scrappers, stalkers, dominators, controllers can all survive that phase without support just fine, at varying speeds, dom and controller won't be killing the objectives terribly fast, for a lot of builds, but can do it pretty safely if necessary. if you're not playing something sturdy or splatty enough to do that then you can follow any of those and help them :shrug: people in their post 50s really should understand how that works, at that point.
e: I have literally never been on a lambda raid where things were carefully coordinated during that phase, and also never been on one that failed

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ouroboros has the problem of locking the team, it's OK but it could have been implemented a lot more casual than it is. e.g. just award merits per mission and allow people to join and leave as they please, or whatever.

you can also just join somebody else's mission team though!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WP/Psionic Melee eventually grew to be my chillest, best tank of all. For epic pool I took Force Mastery because it clashed the least with the Psi Melee powers, plus the cone does knockdown. You have a nice Tier 9 that you just never need to use except maybe on super far end poo poo like Lord Recluse.
NB: I made *a lot* of tanks, pretty much every defense set, and WP was pretty comfortably the best general purpose, it just doesn't have any downsides at all

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a phenomenal soft CC power that also does non trivial damage, alongside a reasonably good set of single target damage and a single target confuse that is funny to spam on bosses and AVs :) it's a fun and interesting set.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a phenomenal soft CC power that also does non trivial damage, alongside a reasonably good set of single target damage and a single target confuse that is funny to spam on bosses and AVs :) it's a fun and interesting set.
E: honestly probably my favorite tanker melee set

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I love the idea of Boggle but the animation time is painful and I hate the contradictory nature of "confuse something and then keep attacking it to generate insight". (Though I realize in practice it's more like you get to choose between the two effects.)

Nine times out of ten there's literally no reason to manually differentiate sets like that. Every AT has inherent modifiers that multiply base values which keep everything internally consistent. Besides, all of the problems with Psi Melee are unrelated to damage values anyway. It's more down to things like the set never getting animation time refinements and Insight being unfinished, which affects all versions more or less equally.

Also it's less than ideal that the set gives up an entire power slot for Boggle, which as I said above is frustratingly janky and weird. (Honestly I feel like Boggle should've just been an outright Confront/Taunt replacement.)

on the other hand, the purple confuse proc piece.
I also took the confusion interface power and the CC oriented Support toggle lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

They should go all in on a Hardlight set with the most goofy poo poo they can think of.

Spring-loaded boxing gloves, anvils from heaven, a glowing green Trex n poo poo.

Completely on board for this

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Howard Beale posted:

Ok, I'm sold, psi/shield stalker owns and now I have an exiled timecop from another dimension running around Paragon City putting right what might go wrong

you are gonna absolutely wreck poo poo, that's a hilariously OP combo for stalker

Seventh Arrow posted:

I've come to the understanding that people love running every possible variation on ITF that they can. A few weeks ago, I was in an all-defender ITF. A friend of mine was in an all-tanker ITF (no one died). I've seen all-controller/dominator ITFs, all-35 ITFs, all-melee ITFs. I'm pretty sure I even saw someone fill an all-knockback ITF within minutes.

he'll yes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

people run the weeklies explicitly to collect double merits, of course they run them as quickly as possible :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Something really amuses me about dog-headed characters. It must be the absurdity.

this is extremely good :3

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this is never going to happen but kinetics needs a little bit of a nerf, especially speed boost.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't think FS is thaaaaaaaat big a deal but sure ok. Imo SB has as big an impact on team performance and it requires no hit check, can be done out of combat, dramatically helps every power (not just raw damage) for everyone in the team + their pets mobility and power recharge, etc etc etc

Just an insanely good buff, nothing else except a few other tier 9s (like FS) even comes close. It drives me insane when I team with some dipshit fire/kin controller who doesn't cast it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ded posted:

don't worry defense sets are about to get majorly poo poo on by homecoming devs and "healers" will need to be a thing

mechanics have always been overwhelmingly weighted towards high def and I'm completely fine with this tbh.
e: I don't think I have a single character out of 70+, wide spectrum of ATs, that doesn't have at least 35+ all positional defs (I don't bother with typed def) and capped s/l resistance.

John Murdoch posted:

My thinking is that while Speed Boost is ridiculously good, ultimately its effects can be readily (if nowhere near as dead-simple easily) gained through other means. See: Everyone running Hasten all the dang time, slotting all the +Endurance IOs, etc. Whereas damage boosts tend to be a lot more conditional/temporary and FS says to hell with that, damage cap for everyone!

50% recharge is immense and not easy to come by with other means, nor is all the run speed. a number of different power combos can brush the damage cap pretty consistently between alpha options and hybrid/assault (anything with soul drain on 2 minute base cooldown can just sit at it) but nobody gets near the recharge cap by themselves.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 8, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Glazius posted:

Why should you have to take Scorpion Shield to solo? Shouldn't you be able to solo with whatever ancillary pool fits your character best?

...are we talking about "do content at all" soloing, or are we talking about +4/x8 soloing?

the OG devs had some terrible notions of game design, "blasters/support ATs shouldn't be able to solo period" was one of them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jazerus posted:

it wasn't easy to solo as a blaster at launch but it was totally doable. good luck on a defender tho

You could do it, but the game goes out of its way to punish you for it with lame poo poo like 30 second mag 1 stuns etc. Reasonable on lowest difficulty settings but meanwhile many power combos of scrappers and tanks (and later brutes of course) could do +4/x8 no problem

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly it's still kind of amazing to me that CoH seems to still have been the only major MMO to successfully break away from that model. Hell even a lot of single player RPGs these days have you more or less requiring a party composition of tank/healer/DPS.

Best thing about the game is that practically any combination of 8 random characters can do practically all the content at max difficulty

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 10, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

getting rid of toggle dropping when CC'd entirely, good loving riddance to that insulting nuisance mag 1 sleep bullshit

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I've always leaned towards positional defense except on armor powersets that are explicitly typed, and I never built around strictly s/l defense, I don't think this will have a big effect on any characters except those that are purely s/l defense. I don't go crazy with winter sets on every power or any poo poo like that either.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

How does the system work? I'm curious if any of my names are gone and/or if any names I wanted have freed up on Excel.

It's not implemented yet and won't be for a while

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Check other servers, maybe you moved it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

totally fine with all that ~challenge mode~ crap as long as they don't lock character advancement/mechanic stuff or content behind it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have a couple of level 1 characters I haven't logged into for over a year but I didn't start on Homecoming right when they went public, so yeah maybe that has something to do with it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah a lot of us were on Indomitable earlier.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you want to solo you're much better off with one of the melee ATs, or maybe mastermind if you can stand that (I can't). The downside for tanks is you generally don't get your big bad AOEs until your 30s but you can buy temp attacks like taser/grenade from P2W and they're actually very good. Brutes and scrappers are easy with even large numbers of enemies, stalker is better at fewer, harder enemies. Note that bosses generally won't show up in your missions solo unless you enable that in Notoriety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ironslave posted:

I have never felt more invincible in this game than I have while playing a Crab Spider.

Yeah both of the villain epic ATs are really comfortable all the way up.