Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
You can also make some really cheap buys and flip them, melee aoe damage -> cleaving blow set sells for 200-500k and with a few converters you usually end up with enhancements that sell for several million instead.

Re: enhancements- is there a reason to buy non-attuned set enhancements? I didn't even know they existed until I started figuring all of this stuff out.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Diephoon posted:

Farming is still extremely popular and you'll see a bunch of fire/spines brutes hanging out at any AE station as well as people asking for farm groups in chat. Not my thing so I do this instead and I assume farmers make up most of the buyer's market.

Cool, good to know for when I inevitably come back. I kind of enjoyed kicking back and doing a few farm runs on my lunch break or while watching TV and using that to fund my other characters.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I got a Fire/Rad brute, if you see me online let me know. I usually pick up some lowbies to level them a little.

Freedom - Excelsior - @mesdoram or Ajora is the character.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Diephoon posted:

Re: enhancements- is there a reason to buy non-attuned set enhancements? I didn't even know they existed until I started figuring all of this stuff out.

It's been a while so forgive me if I get this backwards or just plain wrong but IIRC Attuned enhancements can't be boosted, non-Attuned can be. So if you really, really want to push for those extra 1%s in endgame content you want a set of non-Attuned enhancements that you can boost up to 50+5. But the downside is that you lose out more when exemplaring down.

If you really want to go nuts, you could conceivably have two builds, identical except for one using all attuned and one using all boosted, and switch depending on what you're doing.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 2, 2021

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

It's been a while so forgive me if I get this backwards or just plain wrong but IIRC Attuned enhancements can't be boosted, non-Attuned can be. So if you really, really want to push for those extra 1%s you want a set of non-Attuned enhancements that you can boost up to 50+5. But the downside is that you lose out more when exemplaring down.

I bet doing gold side arcs exemplared down with sets slotted is sooo much more enjoyable than doing them on level, presumably with empty slots. Might be a fun thing to do later, haven't run those since they launched and they were all "yes this is polished but jfc I have like 3 powers and these guys feel appropriate to fight in the 20s or early 30s"

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

It's been a while so forgive me if I get this backwards or just plain wrong but IIRC Attuned enhancements can't be boosted, non-Attuned can be. So if you really, really want to push for those extra 1%s in endgame content you want a set of non-Attuned enhancements that you can boost up to 50+5. But the downside is that you lose out more when exemplaring down.

If you really want to go nuts, you could conceivably have two builds, identical except for one using all attuned and one using all boosted, and switch depending on what you're doing.

Makes sense. These days I can afford to make a build and slot the sets as I level a character so I guess I'll just stick to attuned enhancements when I can.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nonexistence posted:

I bet doing gold side arcs exemplared down with sets slotted is sooo much more enjoyable than doing them on level, presumably with empty slots. Might be a fun thing to do later, haven't run those since they launched and they were all "yes this is polished but jfc I have like 3 powers and these guys feel appropriate to fight in the 20s or early 30s"

Sorry, your post just triggered five ambush waves that can see through invisibility. :)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I was fighting a mission boss in one of the signature story arc missions and he used a really cool looking power that was like a whip made of energy. Is this in any of the powersets players can take?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I was fighting a mission boss in one of the signature story arc missions and he used a really cool looking power that was like a whip made of energy. Is this in any of the powersets players can take?

Yes, Demon Summoning. It's the animation for the attack powers from that set.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, Demon Summoning. It's the animation for the attack powers from that set.

Unless it's strictly a gimmick build for ERP or something, resist the urge to roll a whips-only MM. It's mildly fun until level 20 or so, then you become unable to defeat anything.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I want a version of the Fighting pool where Brawl, Kick, and Cross Punch use the animations for Corruption, Lash, and Crack Whip

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Unless it's strictly a gimmick build for ERP or something, resist the urge to roll a whips-only MM. It's mildly fun until level 20 or so, then you become unable to defeat anything.

I once took a pistol/traps MM to 50 with only the pistol attacks, Traps powers, and I think I took all of the Speed and Boxing pools. Including Spring Attack and Whirlwind.

Do not do this. Never, ever do this.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 24, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gynovore posted:

FrostyPox posted:

I once took a pistol/traps MM to 50 with only the pistol attacks, Traps powers, and I think I took all of the Speed and Boxing pools. Including Spring Attack and Whirlwind.

Someone somewhere, either in this thread or the guides on the wiki, posted a long half-satirical half-rant about bad characters, and the no-pet MM was pretty high on their list. Gonna be honest I was sorta tempted with The Legendary Vic Voss, but having more dudes around was handier than just relying on the Boxing pool.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Dareon posted:

Someone somewhere, either in this thread or the guides on the wiki, posted a long half-satirical half-rant about bad characters, and the no-pet MM was pretty high on their list. Gonna be honest I was sorta tempted with The Legendary Vic Voss, but having more dudes around was handier than just relying on the Boxing pool.

It was a painful nightmare that I could only do because my Supergroup thought it was funny and teamed up with me all the time. I think I did the last five levels AFK farming in Mission Architect lmao

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

FrostyPox posted:

important note: every character gets two build slots, so you can actually do this just fine and switch builds between the gimmick build and a more orthodox one whenever you want.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Honestly if people just made noise about wanting viable whips to the homecoming team they would probably do something similar to feral assault (which ported the animal summoning attack animations to an AT that could make better use of them). Demonic with all 3 whips and then 6 ??? other powers as a blaster or dom 2ndary seems not so crazy, probably remixes of other fire and thermal moves with the demonic fire/toxic damage type combo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nonexistence posted:

Honestly if people just made noise about wanting viable whips to the homecoming team they would probably do something similar to feral assault (which ported the animal summoning attack animations to an AT that could make better use of them). Demonic with all 3 whips and then 6 ??? other powers as a blaster or dom 2ndary seems not so crazy, probably remixes of other fire and thermal moves with the demonic fire/toxic damage type combo.

Whip dom would definitely be thematically appropriate if nothing else.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Slightly grognardy complaint incoming: Not a giant fan of every enhancement being at least DO, especially for starting characters. After the first few missions, you wind up with an inventory full of stuff you can't use because they're mostly the wrong origin.

I know the way around this is to have a farm alt or other sugar daddy option, but that's metagaming. MY IMMERSION etc.

Having said that: the new pay-to-upgrade-everything option is BRILLIANT and I love it to pieces.

In conclusion, CoH is a study in contrasts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I don't love leaning on my farming character but spending an hour to mindlessly get enough INF to kit out a bunch of alts in SOs is fine.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Hell, toss your lowbies a few level 50 io recipes and sell em to a vendor. 2-300k will allow simple enhancing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I always kinda liked the demon summoning whip because being -res made it feel like more of a force multiplier than other MM attacks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That was the idea. Demons was the set they made years after the rest so they had finally figured out that maybe the attacks should at least be mildly useful for something instead of complete crap. (Well okay technically some of the other sets had some debuffs, but nothing as good as -Res. ...And then there's Ninjas where you get gently caress and all.)

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Mirage posted:

Slightly grognardy complaint incoming: Not a giant fan of every enhancement being at least DO, especially for starting characters. After the first few missions, you wind up with an inventory full of stuff you can't use because they're mostly the wrong origin.

Having said that: the new pay-to-upgrade-everything option is BRILLIANT and I love it to pieces.

Wait did they basically get rid of Training IOs and everything is DO at least now? And omg can you just pay to upgrade your enhancements instead of having to reslot every few levels? That sounds amazing

As far as MM attacks, I tend to get a little min-maxish with my guys and have a hard time justifying any of them. However I feel like the Cone whip can be worked in easily enough without feeling completely useless since it has -res.

Man its been a while since I've logged in, is homecoming still pretty active? This game has always been like a comfort food, I'm glad it's around again for whenever I get the itch!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Hakarne posted:

Wait did they basically get rid of Training IOs and everything is DO at least now? And omg can you just pay to upgrade your enhancements instead of having to reslot every few levels? That sounds amazing

you can still buy 'em. unsure if they still drop, I basically sell everything and make myself 30 workbench IOs as needed

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Hakarne posted:

Man its been a while since I've logged in, is homecoming still pretty active? This game has always been like a comfort food, I'm glad it's around again for whenever I get the itch!

Activity has kinda dropped off since the Summer of 2019, with an uptick last Spring at the start of lock-downs. There are still people on and things do get run, but it has settled into a lot max-level players puntering around or lowbies trying to get maxed out.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

the HC team stopped bein lil bitches and you can make videos/streams of HC server stuff again

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/28866-homecoming-code-of-conduct-update-may-13th-2021/

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tsurupettan posted:

the HC team stopped bein lil bitches and you can make videos/streams of HC server stuff again

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/28866-homecoming-code-of-conduct-update-may-13th-2021/

They probably got some green lights from NC.

Also, pretty sure they were doing that because they didn't want to be shutdown via a metric fuckton of lawsuits.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Mesadoram posted:

They probably got some green lights from NC.

Also, pretty sure they were doing that because they didn't want to be shutdown via a metric fuckton of lawsuits.

were you part of the secret server? because this is the same poo poo they've been peddling for years and years and i don't really believe anything that comes out of it any more.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Haven't felt like playing for a while but I'll probably hop on Homecoming for the Anniversary Costume Contest

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/28352-homecomings-2nd-anniversary-echo-plaza-festivities-the-future/

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tsurupettan posted:

were you part of the secret server? because this is the same poo poo they've been peddling for years and years and i don't really believe anything that comes out of it any more.

Nope, this is just hearsay I came across. Both in game and on Reddit I've read people saying these things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've become convinced that "we're in negotiations with NCSoft" means "we emailed NCSoft a few times and got a boilerplate response, which we have chosen to interpret as them engaging with us."

Which, like, cool, I don't really care. As long as Homecoming keeps running they can say whatever they want about possibly-mythical negotiations with NCSoft. I just like playing around in CoH.

As a side note, I'm looking to start playing again pretty soon. Did I see something about Dark Miasma eating a big nerf for Corruptors last year or something like that? My main is a DP/Dark Corruptor so I'm curious how much less effective I should expect my debuffs to be.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 14, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tsurupettan posted:

This sounds...staggeringly backwards. I don't remember SCORE ever pushing anything about NCsoft negotiations. Literally the opposite, hence the crazy amounts of secrecy? The Titan Project forums was where there was that long-standing "we're totally gonna buy the IP any day now!" thread, but AFAIK that had nothing to do with and really couldn't have anything to do with SCORE for what are hopefully obvious reasons.

The fact that HC still hasn't been nuked from orbit continues to be a good sign. And I'd cut 'em some slack on account of the whole....entirety of 2020 thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

While I'm asking about Homecoming balance changes, were there ever any changes to procs? I built out my DP/Dark Corruptor with a ton of procs on the pistol attacks and that was pretty fun, but I remember some rumblings about nerfing procs a while back. No idea if that ever materialized, though. I sorta hope not because it made that character feel pretty great to play.

Also tempted to roll up a Time/DP Defender, too. I dunno why I love Dual Pistols so much.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

This sounds...staggeringly backwards. I don't remember SCORE ever pushing anything about NCsoft negotiations. Literally the opposite, hence the crazy amounts of secrecy? The Titan Project forums was where there was that long-standing "we're totally gonna buy the IP any day now!" thread, but AFAIK that had nothing to do with and really couldn't have anything to do with SCORE for what are hopefully obvious reasons.

The fact that HC still hasn't been nuked from orbit continues to be a good sign. And I'd cut 'em some slack on account of the whole....entirety of 2020 thing.

You have to remember, NCsoft is not a normal company. They had a product that was making them money, and would likely continue to make them money, and they shut it down. Some people offered them money to not shut it down, and then said no. Then after it closed, people offered them money for the code and rights, and they still said no. Heck, people offered them money for just the IP, and got shot down, even though NC did jack poo poo with it... oh wait, they used Statesman's image in a lovely MOBA that got closed fifteen minutes after launch. Not to mention that releasing a MOBA in 2018 is like throwing your money into a flaming sewage dumpster.

In short, NCsoft is not a sane or rational company and should not be expected to act rationally.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gynovore posted:

You have to remember, NCsoft is not a normal company. They had a product that was making them money, and would likely continue to make them money, and they shut it down. Some people offered them money to not shut it down, and then said no. Then after it closed, people offered them money for the code and rights, and they still said no. Heck, people offered them money for just the IP, and got shot down, even though NC did jack poo poo with it... oh wait, they used Statesman's image in a lovely MOBA that got closed fifteen minutes after launch. Not to mention that releasing a MOBA in 2018 is like throwing your money into a flaming sewage dumpster.

In short, NCsoft is not a sane or rational company and should not be expected to act rationally.

I'm not saying anyone should implicitly trust NCsoft, but posts like this are just embarrassing.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gynovore posted:

While coh was profitable even in the end, Paragon was losing money for ncsoft and iirc had failed to develop couple of other games ncsoft had paid for.

Could they have kept the servers up? Probably. But how much would they be making once development stopped for good?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gynovore posted:

ncsoft is manifestly a normal company in this regard

see extremely normal company disney and their brutal butchering of marvel heroes

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

While I'm asking about Homecoming balance changes, were there ever any changes to procs? I built out my DP/Dark Corruptor with a ton of procs on the pistol attacks and that was pretty fun, but I remember some rumblings about nerfing procs a while back. No idea if that ever materialized, though. I sorta hope not because it made that character feel pretty great to play.

Also tempted to roll up a Time/DP Defender, too. I dunno why I love Dual Pistols so much.

Yes, procs were nerfed, in that they were normalized to occur some number of times per minute rather than as a flat percentage chance per hit. However, it's just an adjusted flat percentage per hit, based on the recharge and maximum number of targets of the power, meaning that the farther away you get from hitting something on cooldown, the less useful a proc is. AoEs just need to hit like three people to be good so probably no worries there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glazius posted:

Yes, procs were nerfed, in that they were normalized to occur some number of times per minute rather than as a flat percentage chance per hit. However, it's just an adjusted flat percentage per hit, based on the recharge and maximum number of targets of the power, meaning that the farther away you get from hitting something on cooldown, the less useful a proc is. AoEs just need to hit like three people to be good so probably no worries there.

Huh, interesting. So does it still make sense to load up Dual Pistols with procs like it did before the change? I vaguely remember that was the best way to get decent damage out of Dual Pistols on a Corruptor last time I played (which was definitely before the change).

Given that Dark seems to still be popular for Corruptors I'm guessing the nerf it took for non-Defender ATs last year was pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not saying anyone should implicitly trust NCsoft, but posts like this are just embarrassing.

Care to elaborate?

A dude posted:

see extremely normal company disney and their brutal butchering of marvel heroes

Disney dropped Marvel Heroes because they completely missed two movie tie-ins and did a half-assed job on a third. Hiring a rapist as CEO didn't help their case either.