Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I'm having my seasonal want to jump back into an mmo feelings, but none of my usual games are calling to me. I also happened to get back in contact with a college friend recently who was excited to gush about how fun the Homecoming server for this is. I'd heard about the whole 'people secretly kept this game alive' thing but had never actually looked into that seriously. But at their recommendation I downloaded it last night and gave it a shot.

I'm sure I'll wander back in here with some obnoxious newbie questions eventually, but I enjoy the flailing cluelessly and trying to figure systems out part of playing old rpgs. So for now I'm just poking my head in to say I'd forgotten how extremely good of a fit for an mmo the superhero genre is, and how much fun this game is to just run around hopping on rooftops. I'm getting way more nostalgic joy out of it than I ever thought I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I rolled an ice/time controller yesterday named Samurai Slowdown and felt the same way :unsmith:

Oh my god. You've become on of my all time favorite arcade games as a kid, congratulations. Devon Aire is also a great name and I gotta say, a wonderful color scheme. I just got into this and settled on making a defender, and she's quickly becoming one of my favorite mmo characters in a very, very long time. You guys are inspiring me to take some screenshots later.

Actually, while I'm in here. I'm about level 18, and I've finally got a question about build making. Besides the travel powers I want, what powers should I be considering out of all the basic pools? I noticed when looking at the wiki that defender seems to get stronger versions of the leadership toggle buffs than anyone else, so that seems like a good bet. The defensive ones in the fighting pool also seem cool, but those two combined seem like an awful lot of toggles to be throwing on top of a build. Phase shift in stealth also seems like it could be a cool emergency button for a healer to have. I feel like there's too much stuff I potentially want and it's locking me up when deciding what basic sets to focus on.

Very specifically from the point of view of wanting my nature defender to be a cool support and healer for group content down the line, what would you all consider the more must have or hard pass general powers? I don't want you guys to build this character for me or anything, but a nudge in the right direction would definitely be appreciated.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Pretty much every other power that Nature has is great in one way or another. Also who doesn't love planting little forests everywhere you go :unsmith:

It's funny you say that. I've noticed that a lot of the obviously nature themed heroes I've seen hopping around look like kind of samey satyr and elves with the leaves growing off yourself costume set used a whole lot. My hero doesn't have a quality pun name like Flesh Forge or yours, but I'm really proud of my science based, gun toting trash-plant lady.

I really appreciate the writeups from both you and Abroham. It's good to know what you mentioned about some powers being used more for enhancement sets. I've just started finding my first enhancements with set bonuses as recipes and remembering that those even existed. I'm not going to worry too hard about minmaxing that stuff until I'm higher level, because right now that stuff is beyond me. Also good to hear that endurance problems become less pronounced at higher levels, because I'm definitely feeling crunched by it right now, and that's a big part of where my concerns were coming from in the first place.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Also a general word of advice is that healing in CoH is kind of the least important support related thing you can possibly do, and calling yourself a "healer" in LFG is something people tend to make fun of. Generally speaking you want to prioritize your big buffs, debuffs, and absorb powers to mitigate damage before it ever happens, which is kind of a big departure from other MMOs that have a lot of reactive healing.

I'm extremely on board for this. The whole reason I chose to build my defender around the nature set was that it seemed to have a bunch of cool aoe buffs and debuffs, instead of multiple targeted heals I couldn't even use on myself. Buffing and debuffing characters have always been a thing I've been a fan of, and that's precisely what I was hoping to sign up for. So I'm happy to hear that'll in fact be the case at end game.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

As someone who likes to minmax in rpgs and pursue a combination of fun build I enjoy, then making it as powerful as I possibly can, this conversation about the endgame of CoH is relevant to my interests.

I think the most important consideration I have to add to the discussion so far is that I came up with an even better name for my machine / nature fusion character and it wasn't taken on my server yet - Root Directory

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

Tommy 2.0 posted:

You should definitely be in the discord then.

I was dragging my feet on this because you guys play on Indomitable according to the op, right? My friend who convinced me to pick the game up had me roll on a different server. I know you can easily swap between them, but I just checked and my cool new name IS unfortunately already taken on that one. Which clearly means I have to roll a second character, darn the luck. ...Okay look I just want an excuse to experiment with character concepts some more because that's the most fun part of this game, leave my flimsy rear end logic alone.

If I was going to to make a new nerd with the guiding principle of 'I want to go all in on being a debuffer / force multiplier for my team', what are some cool archetypes and primaries to consider building around? This 8 word post has immediately got me eyeballing the controller / corrupter / dominator sets, so thanks for that.

edit for vvvv: yeah, I know. But I don't want to come up with a new name, I'm still patting myself on the back for the current one. And since I get how dumb that is, I'll see if I can come up with a better name that works on both servers instead of being a prima donna about this. I do still like the idea of making a 2nd character, though.

Okay, just transferred over to indomitable and changed my character's name to Seed Phrase :c00lbutt:
The op link to Kuhullan’s Clown Basket is saying it's an invalid invite when I click it. is that one defunct?

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 30, 2024

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I appreciate the link!

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I had the "oh gently caress it's my day off but servers are down for a patch during the free time I had to play fuuuuuuuuuujck" feelings yesterday.

...Which hasn't happened to me in ages. This truly is the ultimate nostalgic mmo experience. :j:

And another thing: I'm not mad. Please don't tell Twinshot I got mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

dexefiend posted:

Constant ... Incessant ... Screaming

Defender / corruptor and controller / dominator are my favorite class layouts in this game, generally. I've kind of gotten stuck on trying out ten billion variations of those things to find the character I want to take to max level.

My current favorite is my mind control / savage Dominator who's about to hit level 20. But this description is absolutely tempting me to spend tonight rolling yet another new dom instead of working on them. :allears: