Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is there any kind of exodus happening from Indom to the goon server? I've really enjoyed playing on Indom and I've put enough work into my characters there that I'd rather not start over on a new server, but I'd rather start sooner than later if I'm soon not going to have many non-random people to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kaysette posted:

I think I’ll mainly stay on indom. I don’t have the pub allergy many seem to suffer from and I’d rather have more people to group with. I’ll make a goontoon on our server for shits and giggles.

Yeah, I've had a decent time with pubs I've grouped with on Indom, so I'm pretty happy staying there. Making a character on the goon server as a side thing would be fun, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wasn't meaning to start any argument about goon server vs. Homecoming or anything! I was just wondering if the goons I've been enjoying playing with are moving over or mostly staying for now, that's all. I do think it's really cool that so many people, goons included, are able to set up their own servers and do their own experimentation.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one set I've seen people consistently say sucks is Broad Sword. For sets that everyone seems to agree are good, I know there's Street Justice, Super Strength, and Titan Weapon. Dual Blade is also apparently really powerful specifically if you ignore the combo system due to the, uh, haphazard way it was balanced back on live. Personally, I also have fun with Kinetic Melee (especially on a Stalker, due to its AoE critting 100% of the time when used from Hide) and Psionic Melee (though that's mostly because the animations rule).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Is the gameplay actually fun or will coming back tarnish my rose tinted memories of running through The Hollows with whatever alt I had made that week.

From the perspective of someone who didn't really play much when the game was originally out: yes, the gameplay is extremely fun. I mean it's still an MMO so if you don't like MMO combat anymore that might be a thing, but the variety of power sets and builds and the 8-player team stuff has been an absolute blast. I don't even really have the nostalgia to color my perceptions. It's just a real fun game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really want new Blaster primary sets based on two things from other ATs:
  • The animal-related blasts Masterminds get with the Beasts set, like throwing a swarm of bugs or siccing a flock of ravens on enemies. I loving love that raven animation.
  • The shuriken throws in the Dominator's Martial Assault secondary set. Those animations own and I want a ninja-focused Blaster set that uses them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everslain posted:

I think Savage assault dominator gets bees/bird throwing as well but yeah I'd like to have it on blasters as well

Yeah, I just wish they got the flock of ravens move. If they did I'd probably have rolled one by now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sea Lily posted:

This is one set and it is Shinobee Blast

:hmmyes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, I don't remember where I'd heard that Broad Sword was bad. Maybe people just said it didn't "feel" as good as Katana or something?

Also, I'd be interested in similar reviews of blaster sets (both for blasters and defenders/corruptors) and defender/corruptor support sets. It seems to be generally agreed that Kinetics, Time Manipulation, and Dark Miasma are all fantastic, but I'd love to learn more about the other sets from someone with more experience.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This change makes sense to me, but I'm also not someone who really played on live servers so I'm not too worried about preserving that experience.

I like that Homecoming is going to be continually developed, but I'm sure there are players who just wanted the old CoX back and would rather not have it continue to change over time as if it was a live game again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Just put this together and like it, but I don't think the character creator is going to leave any room to really expand on costume options.

This is art

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, Brute vs. Scrapper: which do you prefer and why?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

For those who do not read the barkley 2 thread, I present to you,

:golfclap:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zoig posted:

So if i just wanna pubs stuff, i just shout out my stuff and that I'm looking for people to group with? The only other mmo I play is ff14 and I understand lingo and etiquette varies a lot between mmorpgs.

Yeah, pretty much. Use the LFG channel and say you're looking for a group in your area/level range and people will probably either invite you or message you for an invite. You can start the group if you want to run your own missions or just join up with someone else if you don't really care what missions you do.

You can also join higher-level groups, like if someone's asking for group members in the goonsquad chat for something higher than your level, you'll scale up when you join the group and it'll be good XP. The only exceptions are task forces and trials, which have a minimum level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Imagined posted:

I didn't get to play this in its day but I fired up the private server last night. Holy poo poo, that character creator is boss. The rest of the game seems... wow that character creator is incredible. Every other MMO should be embarrassed of themselves as far as character creation goes.

Gameplay-wise, I think the game really shines once you're playing in groups or playing solo at a really high level. It starts slow, like most MMOs, but there's a lot of flexibility in character builds and team compositions, along with a really different approach to combat roles even for its day. It predated WoW by a few months and I wish its approach to group combat had been the one to catch on instead of WoW's, really.

It stands out that CoH has actual, valuable support and control roles, not just tank, healer, and DPS. That alone is super refreshing, along with the fact that you can make a group out of a surprising variety of archetypes and roles and still do really well.

HPanda posted:

It’s still really unlike anything else on the market, though. There’s a reason everyone missed it so much.

Having also not really played it when it was live, I can absolutely see why people missed this game so much. There really isn't anything else like it, and other superhero MMOs look so rigid and conventional by comparison.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 6, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

clone on the phone posted:

Thanks for the IO info guys. I think I will wait until I can craft the 30+ IOs. I guess I should use SO enhancements until then though?

Honestly the difference between 25s and 30s is really small and 25s are cheaper. These days I generally outfit my characters with level 25 IOs at 22 and then start adding 30s as I level up and get more slots.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Disregard this very wrong post

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 7, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

Which is why we oft suggest Rad/Fire as something that has great AOE and can still be used outside of AE farming. Tommy is basically the last person here who needs to be educated on farming, and also the most depressed (or angry) over SS, which is now a set you wouldn't farm with anyway.

Well I have made a very bad post then, it would seem.

Also starting to wish I'd gone Rad/Fire for my own farming dude now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Since we're posting cows, here's my new Rad/Fire Brute, Cherno-Bull:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Turtle Sandbox posted:

How important is having "good" powersets for the endgame, have a few chars id like to take to 50 and do some endgame stuff but im always worried im shooting myself in the foot and cant find good info on game balance.

I have an ice/thorns defender and am enjoying it but dont want to block myself from high end content by picking a set the community views as weak and would prefer not to take to group content.

Cold kicks rear end for Defenders so you're in good shape. There really isn't a bad Defender set, just some that are harder to play well (like Storm). Ice is extremely good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made a robot with a katana scrapper who looks pretty rad but I can't decide between katana/elec or katana/energy for him. Both look pretty sweet and fit the theme.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

What's the cost effective way of loading out on IO sets again? I remember someone talking about one way of buying them or another with merits being a trap option or something, I don't remember.

Turn your reward merits into influence by using them to get enhancement converters (or boosters) and selling those on the AH. Then use your riches to buy IO sets on the AH.

Quick tip: due to how Homecoming's AH works, attuned set IOs cost exactly the same as non-attuned ones. Attuned IOs will let your set bonus stay active when you're exemplared down, so they're nice to have, and you might as well buy them since they cost the same. If you're curious about the details, this Reddit post explains pretty well: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/bymcmu/homecoming_psa_attuned_enhancements_and_when_to/

Harrow fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 13, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

How do you buy the attuned version? Do they have a different name?

They have the same name, but a different icon (they have a thicker, more elaborate border around the icon). If you set your AH search to have a minimum and maximum level of 1, you'll find attuned IOs--for some reason those show up as level 1 in the AH. I usually just set the level range to 1-1 and then search for the name of the set.

Because they're drawing from the same pool of for-sale IOs as any other level, they also have the same price, so there's no reason to buy a leveled set IO from the AH ever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

blueberrysmith posted:

Is it more economical to buy the recipe and an enhancement catalyst and craft it yourself? Or just go fishing for underpriced attuned IOs?

It's almost certainly better to buy attuned IOs directly because an enhancement catalyst on its own was like 3 million inf last time I looked. Most IOs are around that price or lower and their attuned versions are the same price due to that weird AH logic.

Thundarr posted:

How do you even tell which IOs are attuned and which aren't? If I search for a set at min/max level 50 on the AH and the results are six IOs and six recipes, does that mean the IOs are automatically attuned if I buy them instead of the recipes?

I've been mostly buying recipes and crafting them so maybe I screwed myself out of a lot of cash, I dunno.

They won't show up if you set the min/max level to 50, because they're "level 1" for the purpose of AH searching. Set it to 1 and you can see the difference in the icons. They look similar to the ATO icons, with the thicker borders (because ATOs are attuned by default).

I did the same thing on my first IO'ed-up character and fixed it by respeccing, selling all my IOs, and then re-buying their attuned versions for similar prices. It ended up costing me influence anyway but it wasn't impossible to do. I'm reasonably certain that, in most cases, it's cheaper to just buy an IO than to buy a recipe and craft. People buying recipes and rare mats are generally crafting them and then converting them to get the really high-value IOs to sell for a profit.'

As a side note: while I like that you can get attuned IOs easily (since it makes it so you can still use your set bonuses when exemplaring down), the way it works right now is definitely a trap, because there's nothing in-game that lets you know about the way the AH is handling buying and selling IOs. I also think it's probably unintended, but hey, might as well take advantage of it to make sure your sets level with you.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 13, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Darn. I have all but 3 and a half powers with level 50 IOs and about 25 mil in cash, so I guess I'd better farm up some money to afford the AH fees from flipping all that.

I'm guessing standard IOs can just be boosted to 53 since there's no set bonus to worry about?

Yep. Those are also not subject to the "all levels draw from the same pool" thing that set IOs do so treat non-set IOs as normal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

The key thing to remember with IO fuckery is that Attuned IOs will scale to your level and let you keep your set bonuses, but they can't be Boosted. So if you really want to go all out, what you want is one build using Attuned ones so you can exemplar down and have all the fun you want and a second build that's cranked to max with Boosted +5 IOs so you can tear poo poo up at level 50.

How big of a difference is it to boost up your set IOs? Because I feel like I already tear poo poo up at 50 with just the attuned ones.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

This came up last night when I was online so I did a bit of wiki digging and it turns out the main way you got Attuned IO's back in the base game was through the Paragon Market, either directly or with getting Power Packs. So the Homecoming server's AH automatically attuning things is probably an intentional work around to make it way easier to get them in addition to filling in for a system that no longer exists :v:

Honestly I think it'd make more sense if it worked as you described and the AH really did automatically attune IOs. As it stands, it's just that each set IO listed on the AH goes into a common pool and its level (or whether it's attuned) is determined when someone buys it. That this applies to attuned IOs as well as normal leveled ones may or may not be intended, I dunno. I'm fine with the effect it has on the game, but it does feel weird that you can basically waste influence buying level 50 IOs when you could've gotten them attuned for free if you just knew the trick.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

what have i done

(he's a thermal/fire defender)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's gotta be "Welcome to Flavor Town!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made a DP/Dark Miasma corruptor as a silly Persona 5 Joker cosplay character and he ended up becoming my main because Dark Miasma kicks so much rear end. Eventually I redid his name and costume and everything so he'd be an original character and just kept on rolling. Dark Miasma owns so hard it even makes Dual Pistols feel competent.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll add another:

Kinetics/Sonic Attack Defender. Sonic Attack has a secondary effect that lowers enemy damage resistance, and it stacks with each different attack you use, boosting your whole team's damage by quite a lot. Meanwhile, Kinetics has this fun little power called Fulcrum Shift, which shoots your whole team's damage into the stratosphere. You can imagine how these two sets play well together. Defender beats Corruptor for this because Defenders get the highest debuff numbers on Sonic Attack's -res secondary effect.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sophism posted:

Now that the money is just flowing in due to my AE farming, I'm starting to look into what my final build will be like, and what sets to get.

So is there any reason not to aim for the Superior AT IOs straight away? They're way more expensive, but I take it that's ultimately the end goal? Or is converting the Regular AT IOs into Superior cheaper? (I'm not even sure how you do that.)

Converting is cheaper. Superior ATOs tend to run about 20m each, while regular ATOs run 10-12m each and the Enhancement Catalysts you need to convert them are like 4m each.

You convert them with Enhancement Catalysts. Once you have enough catalysts to convert a whole set, slot your ATOs, then go into the Enhancement screen and click on the power with the ATOs slotted. Click each enhancement, then "combine" it with an Enhancement Catalyst just like you were combining normal enhancements. You want to do them all in one go because otherwise you'll break your set bonus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How bad of an idea is trying to make a human-only Peacebringer? Because I made a dope costume for mine and I want to play as that guy instead of a glowing space squid. Or is that just missing the point of making a PB in the first place?

kumba posted:

I rolled a sonic/dark blaster last night and it felt....... awful

Probably gonna just go dark/dark but I had never tried sonic before. Seems like it sucks?

Sonic probably isn't great on a Blaster. On a Defender, though, where damage isn't your main job, its built-in -res debuffs are amazing to boost your team's damage.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 18, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If you play /Sonic on a defender, I recommend you take a set-and-forget primary.

Kinetics makes a great pair with it. Drop Fulcrum Shift and then get to work cratering enemy resistances while your team melts everything in sight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm playing a good amount of redside these days. What are the most fun villain arcs to do as I level my villain? I'm collecting suggestions for my to do list.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well this has been a fun and productive night.

(I'm never wearing any other badge again)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Water Blast looks cool as hell with crazy color schemes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

One thing I like more about CO is that it let you choose emination points for your powers.

I'd get a lot more milage out of the creator is my powers could be shot through a staff.

I made a Black Mage cosplay character and I'd spend actual money to let him use a staff for all his blasts

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to make a beam rifle character. What's the most fun combination I can do with that? I'm open to any archetype that can use beam rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Platonicsolid posted:

Long drives with the kids lead to playing dumb songs from their parents youth leads to dumb gimmick characters.

I love this game.

Glagha posted:

It said right in the song she's changing her name from Kitty to Karen, can't even follow lore right 1/10

Jacket's not long enough :colbert: