Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

John Murdoch posted:

I'd have to go double check the Longbow example but I remember getting pissed off playing a defense-based character when a simple pack of 3 Guardians tore me a new one because they all stacked their -5% plinky pistol attacks on me at once, which at that level is a complete and total defense negation.

Yeah, this. I don't think it's a stretch to say they didn't understand the ramifications of -Def given the Unyielding example I keep bringing up. Also I'm pretty sure defense debuff resistance was added after the fact, mostly to SR so it wouldn't instantly explode the second a single bullet grazed it.

Yeah I have to say I started leveling my first resistance-based Brute and it is so, so much easier at low levels. Getting a single bullet or unlucky streak at low levels on a defense set is a quick death sentence. I also like that there's much more time to react to things going wrong, whereas defense sets you can go from full to dead before you even realize anything bad happened. Tbh it almost feels like defense sets are outclassed entirely with IOs - I was able to softcap melee and ranged defense on my TW/Ele while still having 85-90% resists to S/L/E and like 40-50% on everything else except toxic. I don't think you can even come close to doing the reverse with resistances on defense sets.

While we're on it, how does defense debuff resistance work? Does it reduce its duration, potency, or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I created the Control power for my hybrid slot since I couldn't really decide which to use and eventually settled on adding even more ways to keep enemies still while boosting my own mez resistance by a large amount. This slot gives me a power that looks like a toggle, acts like a toggle, and says it's a toggle, but it turns itself off after a few minutes with a two minute cooldown. That was kind of disappointing.

Maybe it does that out of some attempt at balance so that I don't just forever have the ability to fear and immobilize everything I shoot, but then I look at every Judgement ability and remember that nothing about Incarnate powers is in the same zip code as balanced.

Incarnate stuff has also been way less of a grind than I expected. I've only done about half the DA arcs and not a single Incarnate trial and I've already got a t4 alpha, t3 Judgement, and everything else at tier 1 or 2. Just been doing a bunch of normal stuff like PI door missions and task forces.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 13, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I would try and gently guide them but still ultimately let them pick. I think encouraging creativity and letting them go with what sounds cool is probably the best route.

That said, Brute if they wanna punch stuff and Sentinel if they wanna shoot stuff I think are both good choices. It'd probably be hell for you, but Energy Blast on a Sentinel sounds like it'd fit the bill for flashy and silly since knocking poo poo all over the place is good stuff. I think Water Blast has some really cool looking effects, too.

I dunno how well versed in computer games they are, but Mastermind could maaaaybe be an okay idea if they seem really interested in it. If they're still struggling with the controls and all that, having minions that are mostly autopiloted could still help them feel useful, but it might be too boring or too indirect if they do have a good handle on it, or they just aren't interested in that support/management role.

Yeah I tried the "gently guide" approach with my 10 year old and he kind of bounced off. Even the power choice can be a bit overwhelming with like a billion combinations and playstyles. I didn't realize how much complicated poo poo we kind of take for granted in MMOs until I started explaining it to a kid. And this one is a bit dated and has some extra jank and unexplained changes due to its uh... unofficial status. "OK hold this button to look around, press this button to recenter, talk to this generic looking NPC and navigate all these sub menus so you have more than one attack to start, now open this tiny power menu and start dragging things to this bar down here" etc etc as their eyes glaze over and they start thinking about minecraft

So this time I'm going to try a more guided approach with the younger one. "Do you want to shoot pink lightning? How about FIRE or a laser rifle?" Then let them design the character that I'll level up to like 10-15 with trays set up and all that. "Press 1 to make one guy explode, 2 to blow up a clump of them" and gently ease them in.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So, the game sure does imply Master Midnight's just a goofy old lad whose heart's in the right place even when he openly betrays the good guys for a shot at mystically enslaving the woman he's stalking huh.

Hakarne posted:

Yeah I have to say I started leveling my first resistance-based Brute and it is so, so much easier at low levels. Getting a single bullet or unlucky streak at low levels on a defense set is a quick death sentence. I also like that there's much more time to react to things going wrong, whereas defense sets you can go from full to dead before you even realize anything bad happened. Tbh it almost feels like defense sets are outclassed entirely with IOs - I was able to softcap melee and ranged defense on my TW/Ele while still having 85-90% resists to S/L/E and like 40-50% on everything else except toxic. I don't think you can even come close to doing the reverse with resistances on defense sets.

While we're on it, how does defense debuff resistance work? Does it reduce its duration, potency, or both?

It's a % reduction of how much of the debuff actually takes; if you have 10% defence debuff resistance and are hit by a -10% debuff, your defence is only 9% lower.

Resist natively resists resistance debuff; if you take -10% smashing resistance, and have 10% smashing resistance, you resist 1% of the debuff and are left with 1% smashing resistance, which is the perk I was talking about. Defence doesn't natively work that way, but most (all?) the defence secondaries include debuff resistance; checking on my Brute I'm sitting at 58% debuff resistance, for example, so that -5% SMG debuff is only 2.1% to me. This isn't true of defence gained through IOs or pool powers like Weave or Manuevers; those eat the full brunt of defence debuffs, which is why defence secondaries have a bit of an edge in terms of protection even if most characters can softcap.

It's also why the tohit buffs trial enemies have suck because those work fine regardless of the source of your defence.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

spectralent posted:

It's a % reduction of how much of the debuff actually takes; if you have 10% defence debuff resistance and are hit by a -10% debuff, your defence is only 9% lower.

This isn't true of defence gained through IOs or pool powers like Weave or Manuevers; those eat the full brunt of defence debuffs, which is why defence secondaries have a bit of an edge in terms of protection even if most characters can softcap.

Wow that kind of sucks, I didn't realize the defense debuff protection wouldn't apply to pool powers and IOs. Is that true even for the Ageless incarnate that buffs defense debuff resistance? If so that seems incredibly useless then.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Hakarne posted:

Wow that kind of sucks, I didn't realize the defense debuff protection wouldn't apply to pool powers and IOs. Is that true even for the Ageless incarnate that buffs defense debuff resistance? If so that seems incredibly useless then.

No, it's that the pool powers/IOs don't grant defense debuff protection, not that they don't receive benefits from it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hakarne posted:

It's not that it doesn't apply, it's that they don't natively have it, whereas the defence secondaries have universal defence debuff protection. So, as a /SR brute I have 58% defence debuff resistance, and my actual defence is something like 30%. If I take a -10% defence debuff, it's only reduced to about 26%, because I'm ignoring 60% of the debuff. If I have IOs pushing me up to 45% defence, then it'd still only be reduced to 41%.

Conversely, if I have 30% defence from IOs, but I eat an attack with -10% defence tied to it, I drop to 20%, straight up, because defence sets and IIRC some buffs are the only way to get defence debuff protection.

In this way, the defence toggles/sets are "worth more" to things that already have defence sets, because not only do they stack, but the defence set will also protect you from debuffs affecting your cool pool powers or whatever, and the fact ITrials counter the universal +def from +Tohit instead of from -Def is very annoying because that does directly bypass high defence, instead of being proportionally worse if your defence is from cribbing it off IOs instead of your core pools.

The Ageless buff appears to buff defence debuff resistances, meaning, I think, it makes existing defence debuff resistance you have even better, but not giving you it if you don't already have it. It boosts end and recharge though and those are two of the best stats in the game so it looks very good, still.

EDIT: And, resistance is it's own resistance debuff resistance (help I'm going crosseyed) so if you have 50% resistance to smashing and eat -10% to smashing, it'll only be dropped to 45%. You always work from the base value, so the next hit is still also -5%, instead of 5.5%.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 13, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

spectralent posted:

It's not that it doesn't apply, it's that they don't natively have it, whereas the defence secondaries have universal defence debuff protection.

The Ageless buff appears to buff defence debuff resistances, meaning, I think, it makes existing defence debuff resistance you have even better, but not giving you it if you already have it. It boosts end and recharge though and those are two of the best stats in the game so it looks very good, still.

EDIT: And, resistance is it's own resistance debuff resistance (help I'm going crosseyed) so if you have 50% resistance to smashing and eat -10% to smashing, it'll only be dropped to 45%. You always work from the base value, so the next hit is still also -5%, instead of 5.5%.

Ah I see, thanks. Although I think Ageless does straight-up grant resistance even if you don't have it. I know the Alpha slot just acts as a universal enhancement essentially but the Destiny appears to provide outside buffs like a power - it's not enhancing already existing recharge or recovery it's adding its own. This is how Mids/Pines displays it anyways, if you turn it on and check the totals you'll see your debuff resistance go from 0 to whatever the boost is. Mids/Pines may be totally wrong though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hakarne posted:

Ah I see, thanks. Although I think Ageless does straight-up grant resistance even if you don't have it. I know the Alpha slot just acts as a universal enhancement essentially but the Destiny appears to provide outside buffs like a power - it's not enhancing already existing recharge or recovery it's adding its own. This is how Mids/Pines displays it anyways, if you turn it on and check the totals you'll see your debuff resistance go from 0 to whatever the boost is. Mids/Pines may be totally wrong though.

It's entirely possible, it's been years since I've played this game. Because, uh, it was closed. I remember way too loving much about this dead game.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

spectralent posted:

I remember way too loving much about this dead game.

poo poo I hear you on that. The craziest thing for me was the muscle memory never went away. Like I remade my MM when Homecoming first started and even though I couldn't articulate it I instintinctively was able to quickly and accurately order my pets around. I also knew what buttons I had assigned to each power once I started playing and tried to use them. I've lost muscle memory on games after like a few weeks/a month. This game was dead for nearly 7 years and it was like I had just been playing it last week.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
With a little bit of weird finagling, it IS possible to do a dual layer base and actually zone into it on top of the base.
It takes going into the base editor, filling a section of a room, enabling clipping by hitting F3 or clicking it on the Options button, moving your zone in portal on TOP of that filled in section and then typing /stuck, which then puts you up where the portal is.
You will probably fall through the world on multiple occasions trying this, but just have /stuck handy and dont have the Portal too close to an edge, because you dont zone in right on top of it.

You CANNOT walk on the roof of the base without having something to walk on like the water or the grass, and I just made to portals with Aleph points to move from inside to outside.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Yeah, a lot of the serious base builders have been using that trick to make their multi floored night clubs and office buildings. Just buy that one huge room that takes up almost the entire base plot, do all your actual building floating in the void way up above. And it almost universally looks like garbage. Turns out it takes a whole lot of careful planning and design chops to completely model a full 3d environment with the limited tools available in the base builder, and even more to actually make it at all interesting.

Strongly recommend going going to the Homecoming servers and browsing the various server shard subforums for their base directories, and popping into a few of them. You'll see some wild poo poo. And some just plain poo poo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Harrow posted:

As a side note: while I like that you can get attuned IOs easily (since it makes it so you can still use your set bonuses when exemplaring down), the way it works right now is definitely a trap, because there's nothing in-game that lets you know about the way the AH is handling buying and selling IOs. I also think it's probably unintended, but hey, might as well take advantage of it to make sure your sets level with you.

This came up last night when I was online so I did a bit of wiki digging and it turns out the main way you got Attuned IO's back in the base game was through the Paragon Market, either directly or with getting Power Packs. So the Homecoming server's AH automatically attuning things is probably an intentional work around to make it way easier to get them in addition to filling in for a system that no longer exists :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

This came up last night when I was online so I did a bit of wiki digging and it turns out the main way you got Attuned IO's back in the base game was through the Paragon Market, either directly or with getting Power Packs. So the Homecoming server's AH automatically attuning things is probably an intentional work around to make it way easier to get them in addition to filling in for a system that no longer exists :v:

Honestly I think it'd make more sense if it worked as you described and the AH really did automatically attune IOs. As it stands, it's just that each set IO listed on the AH goes into a common pool and its level (or whether it's attuned) is determined when someone buys it. That this applies to attuned IOs as well as normal leveled ones may or may not be intended, I dunno. I'm fine with the effect it has on the game, but it does feel weird that you can basically waste influence buying level 50 IOs when you could've gotten them attuned for free if you just knew the trick.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Edited this into my Base building guide

Homecoming base builders FAQ
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,4560.0.html

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 13, 2019

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Harrow posted:

Honestly I think it'd make more sense if it worked as you described and the AH really did automatically attune IOs. As it stands, it's just that each set IO listed on the AH goes into a common pool and its level (or whether it's attuned) is determined when someone buys it. That this applies to attuned IOs as well as normal leveled ones may or may not be intended, I dunno. I'm fine with the effect it has on the game, but it does feel weird that you can basically waste influence buying level 50 IOs when you could've gotten them attuned for free if you just knew the trick.

The difference being that you can't apply boosters to attuned IOs, so there is actually a use case for non-attuned IOs if you're underslotting a power to go a bit crazier on min-maxing (also because you never wanna attune PvP or Purple IOs.)

That's also especially relevant for sets that cap out sub-50 but still have good set bonuses, and you'd want to boost them to just get more value.

Arguably the default behavior should be to attune them and you'd have to specify if you want regular ones, but I'm guessing something that impacts the game that much isn't an easy change to make.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

FooF posted:

space-squid stuff

Awesome - this was very helpful, thank you. :D

A random overheard conversation in General also reminded me of "the MFing Warshade", which is A.) thankfully still around, and B.) I think what inspired me to want to try Warshades back in the day. :)
https://dechskaison.blogspot.com/2011/01/mfing-warshade.html

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Everslain posted:

I have a Staff/Dark Brute and I think it will be easy to run that on a Tank if you just want to stand there and hold aggro. (Is staff available on tanks in i25?)

Staff gives you a PBAOE and a cone attack very early on. Staff also gives you "form of the soul" which typically gives my brute 50% endurance cost reduction or more. This allows me to actually run all of Dark Armor's toggles at the same time. This allows you to have resistance to everything, a PBAOE ticking damage aura, a fear aura, and a disorient aura.

What this results in is being able to stand somewhere and bop everything in the vicinity with your ridiculously spinny staff animations while everything around you gets auto taunted via tank gauntlet as well as the occasional fear and disorient to mitigate even more damage by preventing enemies from attacking.

Oh you get a PBAOE heal on hit as well so you can function without a healer once you get hasten slotted and reduce the CD on Dark Regen.

I was thinking of making a Bio/Staff Tanker, but this is making me think of doing Staff/Dark instead...

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

They're both good imo; Staff is also one of the sets with a Parry (and it's a pretty long cone AoE) so it both is nice for maxing out your defences while also grabbing aggro

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Someone was saying earlier that the numbers on Staff only really work on Stalkers (I think)?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

and tankers, because tankers don't give a gently caress about dealing more damage

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Admittedly on a Tanker I was more interested in Staff for the sheer AoE reach for aggro management, but yeah, that's a good question.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

Someone was saying earlier that the numbers on Staff only really work on Stalkers (I think)?

stalker loving loves staff

it doesn't get an AOE as good as Kin but it scraps better imo. i need to get on the test server and gently caress around with all the sets i didnt get a chance to level to 22 before the dfb nerf

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

and tankers, because tankers don't give a gently caress about dealing more damage

Honestly I was real excited to make Staff work on a Tanker but the damage was so abysmally low that it just took ages to solo anything. I was around level 24 or so before I gave up with it, since even with IOs my Sands of Mu was doing more damage than my actual attacks.

I guess it'd be okay if you never planned on soloing anything. The extra reach and AOE was nice for keeping things aggroed, but my next Tanker attempt was Ice/Ice and everything sticks to me like glue and the damage feels much better.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

spectralent posted:

...The problem was that resistance resists resistance debuffs innately...

do Resistance mobs have resistance which resists resistance debuffs?

resistance

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Honestly I was real excited to make Staff work on a Tanker but the damage was so abysmally low that it just took ages to solo anything. I was around level 24 or so before I gave up with it, since even with IOs my Sands of Mu was doing more damage than my actual attacks.

I guess it'd be okay if you never planned on soloing anything. The extra reach and AOE was nice for keeping things aggroed, but my next Tanker attempt was Ice/Ice and everything sticks to me like glue and the damage feels much better.

Ah yeah, I play with some friends all the time so I was happy to just pretend I was using a Spear (despite the really lame wood-thwack SFX) and let everyone else Blast away

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Thundarr posted:

I created the Control power for my hybrid slot since I couldn't really decide which to use and eventually settled on adding even more ways to keep enemies still while boosting my own mez resistance by a large amount. This slot gives me a power that looks like a toggle, acts like a toggle, and says it's a toggle, but it turns itself off after a few minutes with a two minute cooldown. That was kind of disappointing.

Maybe it does that out of some attempt at balance so that I don't just forever have the ability to fear and immobilize everything I shoot, but then I look at every Judgement ability and remember that nothing about Incarnate powers is in the same zip code as balanced.

Incarnate stuff has also been way less of a grind than I expected. I've only done about half the DA arcs and not a single Incarnate trial and I've already got a t4 alpha, t3 Judgement, and everything else at tier 1 or 2. Just been doing a bunch of normal stuff like PI door missions and task forces.

Hybrid is the result of a compromise that left nobody all that happy with it. I don't remember the full details, but I believe when it was in beta players were basically given a choice between it being actually good OR being able to have it running 100% of the time. Obviously players wanted both so, at an impasse, they just averaged it out into the weird timed toggle thing.

I25 made Incarnate stuff sooooooooo much simpler, and faster, and all around more pleasant to deal with.

spectralent posted:

So, the game sure does imply Master Midnight's just a goofy old lad whose heart's in the right place even when he openly betrays the good guys for a shot at mystically enslaving the woman he's stalking huh.

There's a reason I named Master Midnight the second worst character in the game. :argh:

OgNar posted:

You CANNOT walk on the roof of the base without having something to walk on like the water or the grass, and I just made to portals with Aleph points to move from inside to outside.

If you fill in room tiles with pure wall, they'll have collision on top. Obviously that won't help you make a dual-layered set-up by itself, but it's a lot easier to do that first, lay down flooring objects that stick to the "ground" then proceed to dig the room below back out.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 14, 2019

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Is it possible to make a reasonable (say, 80%+ performance) elec armor farmer vs fire? The only fire armor concept I have that I like probably wouldn't be great at it where a rad / elec brute sounds kinda fun thematically.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I’ve thought about that, and may still give it a shot, but issues I’ve considered include needing to worry about incoming S/L damage (shouldn’t be an issue, eventually) from EM, EleM, or energy blast OR dealing with -end from electrical blast, and having no real counterpart to Burn. Seriously, burn on my rad/fire is by far my most damaging move, and it is up every 5 seconds or so.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
...goddammit I wish contacts' storylines (Souvenir arcs, I think they're called?) didn't just abruptly stop if you outlevel them mid-arc. Is this Ouroboros thing I've heard so much about accessible at any level? Do I have to wait 'til I'm lvl 50 before I can access the zone where I can do lvl 15 quests again? :geno:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ghost of Starman posted:

...goddammit I wish contacts' storylines (Souvenir arcs, I think they're called?) didn't just abruptly stop if you outlevel them mid-arc. Is this Ouroboros thing I've heard so much about accessible at any level? Do I have to wait 'til I'm lvl 50 before I can access the zone where I can do lvl 15 quests again? :geno:

You need to be level 14+
You need to start the arc from the beginning, unfortunately, and it sticks you in the taskforce system so you have to do the arc all in one go.

You can put a Pillar of Ice and Flame to access them from your SG base. It's an arcane object and there's no tech version. (the tech "equivalent" (mission computer) lets you buy tip missions for 1 merit each)

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 14, 2019

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

Is it possible to make a reasonable (say, 80%+ performance) elec armor farmer vs fire? The only fire armor concept I have that I like probably wouldn't be great at it where a rad / elec brute sounds kinda fun thematically.

/Elec can do alright, but the big deals on /Fire are Burn and Fiery Embrace and there's no real comparing it to anything else. I'm sure someone with more farming experience could speak to it better, but I feel like the next closest non /Fire options are maybe only around 50% if I had to put a number to it.

Rad/ would also be a late bloomer for doing it so you wouldn't be doing it from level 1, but you'd have a good all-arounder on your hands anyway.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Isn't Elec functionally immune to end drain later on?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Crasical posted:

Isn't Elec functionally immune to end drain later on?

Yes, but on a farmer you're spending all of your time fighting enemies that do damage and nothing else. A farmer's like a deep sea fish - it tends to explode when you take it out of its preferred environment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

what have i done

(he's a thermal/fire defender)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

what have i done

:master: gently caress that's a good idea, well done

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Harrow posted:

what have i done

Battle cry better have something about Flavor Town.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

what have i done

I've always liked Guy. He's one of the few good things to come from Next Food Network Star.

And his Chicken Guy restaurant is pretty good, too.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yea I had a staff tanker up to 40 that I deleted and remade as street justice. The damage was so bad that just killing some minions and a few lieutenants was a pain. And that was with a guy I wasn't particularly concerned with damage.
After though I am WAY more satisfied with the SJ/Shield tank. Tanky and damage in one.
Also Ned Flanders dealing street justice is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mastajake posted:

Battle cry better have something about Flavor Town.

Or perhaps donkey sauce.