Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Hakarne posted:

I asked this on the main forums but I'll repost here as goons may (probably) know better:

So I've been seeing some conflicting opinions and was hoping to get some clarification. I know the accepted advice has generally been to load a bunch of procs into your AoEs. However, there was also apparently a change made regarding procs per minute that may make that not as efficient for damage.

So my question: How/what should I slot procs in for damage? Is there still a benefit to having multiple procs in the same power or do they all share space in the PPM calculation? Are there some powers that are better than others for slotting procs? For example, my Plant/storm has procs loaded in Freezing Rain and Roots. Would I be better off moving the procs, say from Roots to Carrion Creepers?

Others can probably give a more mathematical answer, but I try to give a good enough one in the meantime. The major change is that in i24 beta, procs changed from a percent chance to activate to a PPM. I don't remember the exact calculation off-hand, but basically procs are more valuable in powers that have a longer recharge (for example, the calculation forces a proc to activate in a power with a longer than one minute recharge to maintain the approx. PPM); at the same time the calculation discounts for AoEs (one of the variables is divided by the max number of targets, I think), so it is no longer good to overload an AoE with damage procs, hoping enough (or all) would trigger every time you activated the power. While you aren't strictly wasting your time putting procs into AoEs, you should probably be doing so for the set bonus rather than hoping to trigger them all. As for swapping around procs from roots/freezing rain into carrion creepers, they're all AoEs so the same issues apply and aren't worth bothering except to evenly distribute the procs rather than concentrate them in particular powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Crasical posted:

It's totally possible that the Paragon Wiki has things wrong but the only pistol-wielding Longbow agent listed doesn't have -def as a rider. Nor do the player equivalent dual pistols attacks for either thugs MMs or the actual Dual Pistols blast set, so it'd be... unusual, if the skulls had that added specifically for their NPC equivalents. You are correct in that they use -def as the default rider for a number of things (Bladed Weapons, saturation bullet attacks, radiation), and admittedly the first and last are a bit odd. I have to assume the thing with bladed weapons is supposed to be a sunder-armor thing but that would be better as -res, which I (again) assume they were scared to give to players, and it being the Radiation rider is just confusing. It might be just not really being sure what to give each 'flavor' of attack to give it its own identity.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the early devs were trying to create differentiation between attacks/powersets, so they decided on flavor to them and then tried to use existing mechanics to match the flavor without really thinking of the balance of it all. Based on the flavor text for the powers, I agree that -Def was supposed to represent a sort of armor piercing aspect of an attack, with bullets penetrating armor, swords being able to precisely sticking at the weak parts of armor, or radiation bypassing armor all together. The problem is that the early powers dev(s) really didn't appreciate what having -Def in attacks would mean for players (or, cynically, how Defense worked at all). Sure, the occasional Skulls minion hitting with a fire-axe might not mean much, but an army of assault rifle Nazis (or Radiation spewing Shivians) definitely do. Also, another aspect is that -Def was not much of an issue because everyone could potentially have a ton of it, but that certainly became not the case when the devs slashed or remove defense powers in Issue 5 (the previously mentioned GDN).

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014
A while ago, I realized I needed lots of influence to fund my characters getting kitted out. On Live this didn’t really matter since I had accumulated tons of influence over the years one way or another. On Homecoming though, I had to farm or use the markets. Farming eats up my play time on something that doesn’t really feel like advancement or fun. And marketeering is not as easy as it was on Live: it’s no longer just a matter of listing item drops as you level and having a nest egg at 50. (Though this can sort of still be done, the actual influence gain is not on the same scale as it used to be.) After a bit of testing, I settled on a way to make influence that is generally straightforward and not relying too much on niches or chance. Here's what I've been doing:
  • Buy a (relatively) inexpensive purple recipe and necessary salvage;
  • Wait at the market for bids to fill;
  • Craft the recipe (with the invention discount coupon);
  • Convert enhancement “out-of-set” into any one out of the purple damage sets;
  • Sell new enhancement at a reserve of 20 million on market.
Basically, I’m converting and flipping purples.

The nice thing is that demand and price are generally stable so you aren’t going to lose your shirt buying up purples and having the market for them collapse. Also, it limits the cost and risk of conversion because the more profitable versions of converting enhancements for money rely on jumping from uncommon to rare within a given type and, often, going for an specific/unique within a given type like a Miracle or Numina unique.

That all said, there are few caveats though:
  • You need about 18 million influence to get started and about 175 million to be in full gear;
  • You want a bunch of merits/enhancement converters (rather than purchasing converters on the market);
  • You’ll have decent profits but the net gains are not the highest; and
  • The risk/randomness is limited but it’s still there, with some conversions taking more than a few tries to get something reliably high priced
Anyway, that’s my marketeering effort post for folks who might need it.

Old_Screwtape fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 24, 2019

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014
Just to elaborate on it a bit further, Stone Armor is a defense based set that provides lackluster numbers up to level 32 on your main armors (Rock and Crystal Armors only give 25% def. to s/l and e/neg. e, respectively, when fully slotted out), so you have to pour lots of inf. into ios to make up for those numbers. Brimstone Armor bizarrely provides *resist* to fire/cold, creating a weird hole in your defense prior to and outside of Granite. Additionally, Rooted blocks one's choices in travel powers by preventing Combat Jumping or Hover or SS (or even Sprint) from being run concurrently while imposing a run speed and jumping penalty that necessitates taking Teleport to get anywhere.

And, Granite makes this all worse. It makes up for the set's defense values and adds in a hefty amount of res on top of it, but at the cost of flooring one's recharge (hasten barely gets recharge back in the black), damage, and movement (stack with the movement speed penalty of Rooted). So hasten, weave or maneuvers, and assault need to be picked up to compensate. Heavy/expensive io-ing also helps but the set bonus numbers really don't dent the self-imposed debuff numbers very well. To add the insult to injury, Granite makes you look like a DE minion-which kinda defeats the value of spending time on your costume at all. Anecdotally, Granite has the further issue of having teams will probably expect^/force you to be in Granite all the time but will leave you behind as they steamroll mobs ahead.

^ I once had a team leader have a meltdown in team chat that I was a drag on the team because I was not in Granite - despite the fact that, between being io-ed to the gills and team buffs, I was softcapped to everything and not dying at all; only when the other members of the team pointed this out *repeatedly* did the team leader relent.

Old_Screwtape fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 26, 2020

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014
Realistically, Stone Armor may never get looked at because it would mean opening the can of worms that is Granite. All the same, if I was able to wave a wand to fix Stone Armor, here's what I'd do:

• Bring Rock and Crystal up to par by increasing their defense values to 25% unenhanced (which gets to around 33% enhanced);
  • Convert Brimstone from a resist toggle to a defense toggle (to make it less of a weird outlier in a defense-based set) ;
  • Reduce the endurance cost of Rock, Crystal, Minerals, and Brimstone by half (most other sets rely on 3 armor toggles while Stone relies on about 5);
  • Remove Rooted's movement penalty;
  • Reduce Granite's defense value by half and make it non-enhanceable, but remove the recharge debuff and halve the damage debuff and the movement penalty.

By doing that, I think being outside of Granite would be competitive with other sets, and Granite would be an emergency toggle when facing a def-debuff loop or too big a mob without being a norm.

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Harrow posted:

Was level 49 farming any better than just going all-in and going incarnate on your farmer?

It seems the trick wasn't that you froze your level at 49. Instead, you took your maxed out farming char. into an AE mission that auto-exemplared you to 49, ran the mission with XP to Influence option turned on, and did so with maxed out Patrol XP (which multiplied your XP gains by 1.5). The result would be that your farmer would be generating 1.5 times the vet. level XP and that would be converted to influence in addition to the influence you were already getting as a level 50+ character.

The Homecoming Devs are saying this use of patrol xp was an exploit, and farming for influence rather than drops was an abuse of the system. I'm fine with the former but I don't quite buy the latter. Farming for inf./drops/XP were overlapping things on Live and since Homecoming has opened last Spring. But, I suppose one could argue that it was always an abuse, and the Live Devs just gave up on hitting the hornets' nest that was AE after a certain point.

Needless to say, many pubbies are having a complete meltdown. Which frankly amuses and baffles me, who has most of their inf. through converting merits to converters and flipping purples (relatively passive/easy things to do).

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Hakarne posted:

Man its been a while since I've logged in, is homecoming still pretty active? This game has always been like a comfort food, I'm glad it's around again for whenever I get the itch!

Activity has kinda dropped off since the Summer of 2019, with an uptick last Spring at the start of lock-downs. There are still people on and things do get run, but it has settled into a lot max-level players puntering around or lowbies trying to get maxed out.

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Crasical posted:

It's better on every archetype but defenders, who lost the most -res and gained the least damage, proportionally. I'd go as far as to say it's actually good for everyone else now, rather than being a gimmick set for defenders who *only* cared about the debuffs for their teammates.

I'm not so sure that's true for Corruptors. Howl went from a 1.00 scale down to about 0.66 scale, so it's taken a bit of a hit even if the damage got redistributed to Siren's Song, which now needs to be slotted for damage (!?) rather than sleep. For me this is a bit of an annoyance since I had a chain of Shockwave -> Howl -> SS. Similarly, Screech becoming the heavy hitter is a little annoying since it sort of makes any hold one gets from their PPP/APP less desirable/redundant.

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Brave New World posted:

I'm thinking of rolling a Dominator using the new Symphony control set, but I can't decide what to pair it with. I'm leaning towards either Martial or Psi. I know Psi is a solid choice, but is Martial any good? And has anyone else tried Symphony yet?

I tried Symphony in Beta and it works super well. The cone controls really beg to be slotted for damage rather than control, imo. Minor quirk to know: the superior damage of the stun suppresses if the mob is asleep.

For a Dom., mental would work pretty well. Drain Psyche is great and the cone comes early enough in the set to fit into the control's cone rotation. The only problem you might run into is the mobs that resist psi will make you feel like a wet noodle since Symphony is Psi too. I can't comment on martial since I've yet to play it. For something else, I tried Symphony out with Fire and it was a blast but I was also burning through endurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014
I feel like it's a problem with too many pubbies worrying too much about setting up containment. If you're on a team steamrolling, you don't need containment. And if you're solo, maybe don't run at x8 or use the sleep?