Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I've read everything up till now and this LP is great! Looking forward to the rest. On the topic of the bloodlines, what's the Bön position on resurrection? If they believe in it, maybe Kangxi can edit in a lowborn courtier with good martial stats and the bloodlines, as Gyalyum born again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Lynneth posted:

Imperial Mexico in this case would most likely be a successful Toltec empire - the Aztec/Nahua didn't get bit until the 14th and 15th centuries.
Similarly, their great foes wouldn't be the Inca, but rather an alliance of regional powers such as the Tiwanaku and Chimu.
I'll nerd out about all those later-on though, I guess. Because hell yeah, Sunset Invasion. One of my favourite DLC in CK2, bar none. This is gonna be good.

If we have any say in the set up for EU4, I propose that instead of a monolithic and huge Inca Empire we get a loose confederacy of kingdoms, like the HRE. In our timeline the Incas were most likely aymara (there's a theory that the ruling houses -panacas- spoke an aymaran language between them) lording over a vast, recently conquered/vassalized quechua and aymara territory. For this scenario we can have that the eurasian plague still wrecks Cusco and gives the regional powers more autonomy. I think this will give the are more dinamism, variety and intercontinental colonial situations. Also, if we are playing with the Sunset Invasion notion, please, let's have Naylamp as a leader of an advanced polynesian empire https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naylamp

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

I thought Aymara was mostly spoken in the surrounding of Lake Titicaca and south of there? I also think it's a little bit lame to make the Inca less centrally powerful because some of the most interesting elements of Inca rule were driven by the power of the Sapa Inca.

Yes, Aymara is mostly spoken in southern Peru and Bolivia, but there are strong indicators that the elites that formed the initial Inca Kingdom in Cusco were actually aymaran and that would explain why the principal origin myth of the Incas (Manco Capac and Mama Ocllo) have the dude coming up from the waters of the Titicaca. Also, the massive expansion of the Inca Empire only lasted a hundred years and the biggest reach was during the reign of the last three Incas before the spaniards: Pachacutec, Tupac Inca Yupanqui and Hayna Capac. So yeah, the empire was super hierarchical and the infraestructure was built for a centralized goverment but the plague and conquistadors came before the expansion was really consolidated. One of the reasons the Empire was embroiled in a civil war when Pizarro came knocking was that Atahualpa came from a Quitoan panaca while Huascar was from Cusco (the royal panacas were tracked matrilinearly so when the Incas married into other kingdoms they were also expanding the imperial families to other regions) so there's precedent for regional shifts of power but with the goal of keeping the empire together and centralized

Also, it seems more fun to have more tags in the area than just the huge Inca empire surrounded by empty land

Re: Polynesian Empire, I'm all up for having three major powers in the americas: Aztecs, Incas and colonizer Polynesians

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

That's rad. Are there any books you recommend for learning more about what Inca society and governance looked like?

I recommend History of the Inca Realm by Maria Rostworowski, there's an english version at Amazon

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Kangxi posted:

Would you mind if I linked to one or two in the table of contents so later readers have a link to the conversation?

If you also mean my posts about the Incas, yeah, go ahead!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Rubix Squid posted:

Of course that's going to be changed there needs to be a reason for metal to be put to practical use. It'd have to be a tool that increases agricultural productivity; one that stone or wooden tools wouldn't be able to match. The only thing that comes to mind a metal plow which did a hell of a lot for agriculture north of the Mediterranean, but without any animals to pull the thing that's kind of a moot point. If such an animal did exist though, it'd totally make it worth the investment, increased crop yields allow for increased specialization. Plus its not like there weren't creatures that could have made suitable candidates had they dice rolled differently during the end of Ice Age. The less giant sized ground sloths could make a decent candidate for such a critter, as could something like the Camelops or other new world camelids.

Another factor that prevented large scale plains agriculture in precolumbian Peru-Ecuador, is that the fertile coastal plains (north of Lima up to Ecuador) get absolutely wrecked once every 20 years or so by El Niño. A couple of years ago we had a mini-Niño that we still haven't recovered from in our sci-fi years of the XXI century so in those times they were absolutely apocalyptic events. That why most explanations of "why this incredibly succesful coastal empire colapsed" is "A specially lovely Niño happened" and why agriculture research was mostly focused on "how can we plant on mountain slopes or the desert and maximize crop variety and productivity in different altitudes" and not "how to optimize agriculture in massive plains"

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Rubix Squid posted:

All the more reason to have an animal that can handle those mountains.

Oh yeah, absolutely, I was just pointing out how geography pushes technology in ways that might seem odd or inefficient but were just another branch of the tech tree. For instance, if in LP-timeline instead of a John Deere we get a John Taruca, there's a chance his tractors would be spider-like mechs suited for terrace farming. Also, spider-tanks

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes but have you considered Battle Tapirs.

Battle Llamas

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Lynneth posted:

By 1,000-500 BC we're likely looking at equivalent development as in Europe. There'd absolutely be a powerful iron-using civilisation in Bolivia, because 10% of the world's iron ore is in one place. And that's kinda crazy. Sky's the limit from here, and I still like the HRE-like coalition of states and statelets centered around the Andes being the 'Aztec' Empire's biggest enemy.
Gunpowder is almost an afterthought, because with such widespread civilisation, hell yes they'd develop the stuff and militarise it.

It would be incredibly funny if Tiawanaku was South America's Rome-like iron age hegemon that later polities are doomed to try to reach their heights and fail

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Is it me or did we just contained the Mongols? They only got a very tiny outlet to the west

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Kangxi posted:

Do you know who you remind me of? The king of the Karnatas hires a servant to hold candles for him in the middle of the night so he can see his wife when they gently caress. That's you. You're a loving candlestick.

:drat:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
A suggestion: Try to conquer China, if we suceed, Kangxi can split up the empire and we can pick a succesor state to play with or an adventurer trying to conquer Ireland or something like that, work our way up again

edit: A second megaplague that nearly wipes humanity can be a fun setup for a mostly uncolonized world in EU4

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Rajputana is not ruled by strange heathens, it's ruled by kin! The fate of the Middle West is being decided between the followers of the Sun and the Moon, the north is being ravaged by the Mongols. We tibetans must remain united and strong! We can propose the Queen to submit to imperial authority but, otherwise, there shall be Peace in our time but if some accident were to happen to the good queen that gives us reason to protect Rajputana from chaos, I wouldn't complain

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Kangxi posted:

This is much closer than I thought it would be.

I'm extending the voting time. Voting closes at 11:59 PM EST, Tuesday, September 10, 2019.

Goons have changed from wanting to make war all the time, but we still uphold the tradition of driving everything to the ground anyway. ref. Al-Andalus

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Leave Tse Alone!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I hope an Eurasian-wide Buddhist uprising happens and sets up a cool new status quo for late CK / EU4. One of the things that dissapointed me the most about Pope LP was how the Yazidi organically took over Europe for the new Pope to crusade it back to Catholic dominance

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Headcanon/Idea for how a potential EU4 scenario might go: The reason the Norse Queen of France is loyal to the Aztec Empire because the Aztec hire loads of norse mercenaries for their forever wars. The status of the French Queendom at the end of CK2 could inform the situation in Central America at the start of EU4

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
D

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Let's Ascend!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Ferrovanadium posted:

So is Catholicism just slowly devolving into a cannibal cult...?

:unsmigghh:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Things went... better than expected :unsmith:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Sooo, this is where we invade China, right?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
It's already written! Yes!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Cowards, the lot of you.

:emptyquote:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
This will be Glorious! Dread Mother! Dark Queen! Mistress Between Heaven and Earth!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Yes

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

HereticMIND posted:

NO!

Do NOT listen to the little voice in your head! We've spent centuries building this empire, dammit! I will not see it undone by some insane illusions!

We are the voices in her head :unsmigghh:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
1 - MONGOLIA
B - The Ground of Gold - where staying put yields good results.

2 - LATER JIN CHINA
B - The White Umbrella of Good Fortune - where the flower garden ripens on time, where journeys are successful and one arrives safely.

3 - FURTHER EAST
A - The House of Gold Tidings - the gatekeeper of the east.

4 - THE SOUTHEAST
C - The Great Fiery Weapon - the subduing of all others with endowed bravery.

5 - THE SOUTH
A - The King of Power - the roar of brave tigers and lions.

6 - THE SOUTHWEST
B - The Vase of Nectar - to drink nectar and gain immortality.

7 - THE NEAR WEST
B - Pool without a Source of Water - assembly of demons from the southwest.

8 - THE FAR WEST
A -The Demon of the Heavenly Son - Ill augurs, as a house burns.

9 - THE OTHER WORLD - NORTH
A -The Overflowing Jeweled Vessel - the good field of increased happiness.

10 - THE OTHER WORLD - THE CENTER
C -The Demon of the Heavenly Son - If the fires of desire blaze, oneself is burnt.

11 - THE OTHER WORLD - SOUTH
A -The Dried-Up Tree - proclaimed by the messenger of the demon Mara.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Man I know Christianity, and Europe in general, took a beating but Rome itself being forgotten by history

Roma Delenda Est

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Tulip posted:

when referring to this specific period the more precise but still common term is "ten-men," for their habit of adorning things with the Chinese numeral for ten, including often a small man in what is either some form of ancestor worship or perhaps a primitive fylgja.

:perfect:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Yess. It has begun

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Let's Innovate!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
The Trade Coast and the Far South East beckons. We must Trade with these distant ports and increase our coffers! After all, coins is what fuels soldiers in these heathen days. Also, the monarch excesses must be curtailed. I support the General States!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

A) Leave Delhi Alone!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

B The nobles coerce the rights of us fair merchants and small landowners, only a strong absolute State, guided by Enlightened Centrism, can provide for the whole Empire!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Don't mind me, I'm moving my stuff to a cozy manor in the Spice Islands

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
A

:sickos:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I'd like to know more about the doings of Ayiti

:sickos:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

This is the wisdom we need in this trying time.

Venerate the Second Tse
Republic

Only the Wisdom of Tse can guide us in our Revolutionary Republic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Kangxi posted:

who has now claimed the ruins of a certain tēcuacān in Italy, for example

The Red Jugs Culture! The myths are true! There were 5 great Red Jug Cities in the western peninsula, all of them made of gold and devoted to their man-eating wolf gods!