Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Rubix Squid posted:

A lot of that is going to depend upon when it was domesticated. Transmission of developments is a lot slower north/south than it is east/west as the differing climate and biomes present a barrier. Sloth husbandry would probably have began in the Andes since it historically developed earlier and then spread northward. It'd probably take 800 to 1600 years for it to just reach Mesoamerica and another thousand just to make its way up to the Great Plains. The Pacific Northwest or Algonquin tribes of New England would probably domestic ground sloths first.

The Aztec Invasion is actually Aztecs fleeing the Algonquin giant sloth invasion of Mesoamerica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

WAR, it's always time for war in Tibet

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

YES

Let's run this poo poo into the ground.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ByzLP rises from the dead! Time to re-read.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Can't wait for Lasya to become an immortal lunatic werewolf satan-spawn necronomicon-reading empress

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

1 - MONGOLIA
C - The Treasury of Jewels - with perfect prosperity.

2 - LATER JIN CHINA
C - Adding Butter to Burning Flames - adding butter again and again to the burning flames of desire, increasing the demonstration of joy; though activities of earth and water are harmed.

3 - FURTHER EAST
B - The Golden Wheel - the amazement of achieving treasure without effort

4 - THE SOUTHEAST
B - The Golden Mountain - the unchanging auspicious symbol.

5 - THE SOUTH
B - The Jeweled Banner of Victory - the jeweled banner of victory is hoisted.

6 - THE SOUTHWEST
B - The Vase of Nectar - to drink nectar and gain immortality.

7 - THE NEAR WEST
B - Pool without a Source of Water - assembly of demons from the southwest.

8 - THE FAR WEST
C -The Mara Demon of the Aggregate - Words from the great slaughterer.

9 - THE OTHER WORLD - NORTH
B - Adding Butter to Burning Flames - enemies destroyed in the east or the center.

10 - THE OTHER WORLD - THE CENTER
C -The Demon of the Heavenly Son - If the fires of desire blaze, oneself is burnt.

11 - THE OTHER WORLD - SOUTH
A -The Dried-Up Tree - proclaimed by the messenger of the demon Mara.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Aristocratic Ideas

Aristocratic Court

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CCCB

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Leave! What has the STE ever done for us? Take back control!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

South, Trade

The spice must flow.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

B) Presidential System

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Both of these, Less delegation and Economic Ideas

:emptyquote:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

1 B
2 A

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The only thing goons hosed up is China and its weak allies. Can't wait for the revolution to reach us and show us how to really gently caress things up.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A. Purgyal!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Quoting for new page:

Kangxi posted:

VOTE: 1727

This was supposed to have been an ordinary inspection tour. Visiting holy sites, observing the rebuilding of agricultural works, water mills and canals, inspecting grain and potato farms, maybe sneaking off to do a bit of hunting.

The Empress and her best general, Dorje Sonam Wangdi, went off for a walk alone to discuss some sensitive affairs of state when they are visited by a beggar woman, who pleads with them, tears running down her dirt-streaked face, for any bit of help.

"Certainly", said the Empress, fishing around her person, hoping she didn't leave all her money back at her tent. She finds a single silver coin and presses it dutifully in the beggar's hand.

"Is that it?" she cries, flinging the coin at the empress' forehead. If you were a real ruler like Gyalyum the Benevolent or Yu the Great, you'd have some food! I can't eat this! The markets are empty, I can't even buy anything!" She stormed off in anger, and the empress only looks at the coin, her face unreadable, as the general tried to convince the beggar to come back to the army camp and have some soup or a barley cake. No luck. Everyone avoids the army when they can.

=============================================================

The empress was in a distant and philosophical mood the next morning. She prayed to past deified emperors for guidance and protection, and gathered a small circle of informal advisors around her. A servant lights her tobacco pipe. "If we cannot give the people the five grains and safety from fear," she began,

"they will storm the walls again and this court would perish. And we would deserve it for our incompetence."

Awkward shifting from the ministers. They to make themselves avoid her look, just sitting there.

"The empire has to make itself stronger in order to survive, the question is how."

"We have had evil times in the past, we live in evil times now. Our children may again live in evil times. Even the wise may be duped and made into beggars and fools should they not govern their military and their bureaucracy, and provide for the people. But we know the chaos, the deprivation of this world. I must remove it to the full extent of my ability. Explain to me how you think this should be done."

At this, the general Dorje offers some points.

"We now administer a vast territory, the largest in over three hundred years. The population of the empire has already nearly doubled, and should we move to conquer territory north of the Yangtze, more people will reside in our eastern provinces than all the rest of the empire combined. If we are to address the concerns and rule uprightly, then we will need a degree of accommodation. We can adopt governing structures and rites from historical records, from the last time a single empire ruled over the entire region for some time, but combine them with the best of our moral principles. We can reestablish a bureaucracy, gather correct information, and so institute a more knowledgeable form of governance. Our people grow exhausted - it is in rites and veneration of the gods that we may soothe and provide for them."

A) Vote to adopt some Confucian rites and practices, with the aim of integrating them with our own religious and political structure.

Mechanically, our tag will convert to Confucian, but we will aim to form a harmonized relationship with Bon as soon as practicable, or at least maintain a higher tolerance stat.

In response, the governor of Assam protests.

"Accommodate them? THEY will accommodate US. The empire can be powerful as it once was, exactly as it was, and the perfection of the legal practices and religious institutions established centuries ago requires no change. We do not need Confucius! He can rot. We know what harm his filial piety can do - all those Purgyals who died for that boy instead of the benefit of the whole kingdom and all the rest of the people in it."

After all, we have already found much to learn from other sages and books of wisdom, and their many schools. That is now a part of Bön and all Tibet and we are wiser from them. They say, quite rightly, that the way is invisible, and the wise cannot discern it. The wise ruler keeps their intentions mysterious, and their point of view objective, and so makes correct decisions. A wise emperor can ascertain the thoughts of ministers and prevent disorder - no old tradition is enough for that.

B) Vote to retain the previous style of imperial governance and religious relations more generally. We will not formally adopt the broad majority of Confucian rites and practices.

Mechanically, we will stay Restorationist Bön, with all the benefits and challenges that brings.

The vote will conclude on Wednesday, April 7th, at 9 PM EST.

And, while it should be obvious, I will point out that the result of this vote will be moot should we lose the empire in the next update.

B

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Roof of the World: We are at risk of all the disasters

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We need to worry about the March of the Eagles port first

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

C

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

C
ALL CITIZENS
EXECUTIVE

or: see all citizens executed

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kangxi posted:

I have an update for everyone although it might not be the one you all have been anticipating. With a heavy heart, I have decided I am going to put a stop on modding work on Victoria 2. I feel I am simply unable to complete the mod to any satisfying degree with my current working schedule and other responsibilities. With how many complications with mechanics and false starts I've had with the modding work itself, it's become more work than a hobby this year. I feel obligated to say something here than just let the thread fade out.

However, I would like to emphatically say this does not mean that I've put a stop on the LP itself. I am, along with many of you, anticipating the release of Victoria 3 in the coming months. I am going to see what I can do from there - how I can feasibly mod Victoria 3 into something workable for the purposes of the Lets Play. And finally, unless the narrative really demands it, I am probably going to conclude the Lets Play there. I am going to have this thread archived and make a new one when I am ready to resume again.

Finally, I'd like to thank you for reading the thread over all these many months. I'm still a little gobsmacked that this fun little side project I started pre-pandemic became something so many people enjoyed. I am going to tie up the narrative somehow, and thank you again for your interest and all of your contributions.

Now I'm even more excited for Victoria 3.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Good update

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A. Lhasa cannot be replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ikasuhito posted:

The idea has potential.

i feel like the second one would be better if the border of the icon was a different colour than the rest of the elements