Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Last campaign I did was Tibet. Your expansion options get a bit weird because Pretty Borders are kind of impossible unless you just go ham into India.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wait that dude's house is Mlechchha, really? Isn't that just the generic Sanskrit/Prakrit for barbarian?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

Though mlechchha is a derogatory word, Harjaravarman, a king of this dynasty, explains the term (though illegible) in the Hayunthal copper plates (Sharma 1978:91).

:shrug:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

NewMars posted:

So wait, there's a perfectly good explanation for why they're named that. but it's been rendered completely illegible?

Welcome to primary sources!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kangxi posted:

I have enough problems working with smudged photocopies, Chinese handwriting, and faded carbon paper.
I was always fortunate to work mostly with more modern material, especially Soviet history, but yeah ancient history is a cavalcade of missing or hosed up sources. "Oops, sorry, a monk scratched out this chunk of amiannus marcelinus to make another copy of the Lord's prayer SORRY"

quote:

OK here goes. The copper plate inscription Salman includes in his book goes: "Oh powerful and high spirited [...] Oh Parthiva (son of Prithivi), your future descendants will, for this reason be called Mlechchas." And no explanation is given. It's the middle of three plates described as the "Copper Plates of Harjaravarman" and the first and third plates are missing. The text in the remaining plate is also corrupt and has major gaps in the beginning.
this is the most typical poo poo :suicide:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So for role-play clearly we're looking at Gyalyum going for War-Mongering, or MAYBE Unyielding. Temporal head is obvious, then Harmonious and Unrelenting (MAYBE bloodthirsty gods what with all the sacrificing)?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Daring kind of sucks, mostly because prepared invasions are basically useless at our size, but also because if we go for temporal we could just use great holy wars. it would be a fun flavor thing but sort of a waste of mechanicswise.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Temporal, Harmonious, Bloodthirsty Gods, War Mongering
It is by her Majesty's Strength of Sword that we have arisen once more, and it is only by absolute faith in her and in that sword that we may survive. Kowtowing to monks is the way of the Buddhists and the Westerners, and where are they now? No, we must have one leader, and that leader must keep their sword sharp.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I guess Temporal is kind of easy mode anyway.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HereticMIND posted:

Well, it’s good that you’ve finally re-established Tibet. Now what?

Perhaps some westward expansion is in order? Hey, you need room to grow...

Well when I did my Bon run I found plenty of room to wander.
https://twitter.com/RodyleCockroach/status/1138351113512587269?s=19

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Africa was all vassals, iirc (I did conquer China though).

Britannia was the AI reforming Norse early on, the Fylkir quickly lost their land, and then the rest of that just HAPPENED.

Love you paradox

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 11, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Conquering China is fyi probably the hardest thing in the game to do, it requires hella hit and run tactics, and you have to be able to fight them somewhere outside of Tibet or else you'll never have the supply limits you need.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

wiegieman posted:

China gets magic attrition proof event soldiers also, right?

Yeah.

The key thing is their warscore from occupation has a hardcap, 50 I think, so you can, and need to, hang back and let them spread out.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean who's to say future Tibetan academia will have an opposition to being gay. Reformed Bon likely embeds no cultural opposition to it, considering its founding figures.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Satanists and lodges are fun to do but only really once apiece. The other societies are way less crazy and can just be treated as another tool in the toolbox.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

To be fair he had a long and illustrious career already :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Apropo of nothing, I was thinking how annoying it is that Tanistry is Celt/bloodline only without cheating, because it's a neat system.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If this is what I think it is I always just end up paying my way through it and never actually see the consequences of not doing so.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I managed it with just India and Tibet, but China wasn't in a Golden Age tbf.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't know if we'll get our chance to play with them though. The Aztecs tend to win big then fragment and melt away over time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sunset Invasion absolutely has an event that takes the plague back across the ocean.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She also seems to have carved out a good chunk of the event troops. Later wars shouldn't be this bad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We could always get into the great Banana Conspiracy while we're at it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't know I'm reading that Elder King's LP and it turns out the dead can actually be dead

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can't believe that paradox of all companies would half rear end on history

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yo what is up with that Caliph. He's what, the results of the Hashis marrying with Greeks then Nubians? Can we get some genealogy and title history?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Catholicism at least has a bunch of unique mechanics

There is nothing lamer than orthodoxy.

E: scratch that, Nestorianism is lamer than Orthodoxy

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 15, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Okay you just straight generated that guy there's no way

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Luhood posted:

The biggest problem right now is that Tibet is really kinda... done!
We don't completely control India

So I disagree

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's worth pointing out, for those who want us to break up, that failing to conquer China would destroy our imperial level title. So Kangxi could go for the gold (they'd have to legit give it their all though), and if they fail there's your fall from grace/indeterminately long era of brutal revanchism and claimant wars.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

NewMars posted:

I wonder how the Zaghawa pope even got to Italy.

Hiking, one assumes

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just be you're crazy doesn't mean you have to be unfair and tyrannical.

Maybe he just ate priests who touched kids.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sure let's go to War

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Leave her alone.
If she wants to come to us, she will, until then it's best not to anger her.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We've had the history of this caliphate explained to us before and it still doesn't make any sense.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AND WHY IS THE CALIPH FRENCH NOW?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A
We tried being mellow, see where that got us???

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Worst case scenario we get a Taoist Han heir and can go Chinese Imperialism, the most stupid powerful govtype (besides maybe republic).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

She's great, still wish we'd managed that Chinese Imperialism shift tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I had a lady clear this while missing a leg, hand, and eye on top of being fat and ancient during my Tibet run.

Man ck2 rules it's so stupid