Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Pigbottom posted:

Like all other games before, I'll be playing this for a week and then will forget it exists.

Same, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
I cant wait to play worlds adrift 2.0.

This should be a fun poo poo show. Hopefully the EA launch is a playable game.

Lazer Rapist
Jun 11, 2019
Gaming

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lXK6_bktUk

Guess this'll be babbys first programming language

forge
Feb 26, 2006
computer

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oovee posted:

It’s so awful, I love it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I was just thinking, hey this looks simple and like something maybe I could learn so yes probably awful lol

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
the destruction modelling is pretty nuts in this game:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dylguy90 posted:

I was just thinking, hey this looks simple and like something maybe I could learn so yes probably awful lol

Yeah it'll be simple to learn, and make code... But will quickly devolve into mountains of weird code that nobody knows what it does and tons of race conditions and oh god everything is broken and my base turrets are killing me oh shi

It'll be great.

I've been a software engineer at a real company where they pay me money for like 5 years now but coding for 20 and even my poo poo will be hosed up.

Kinda reminds me of the whole computer coding stuff in space station 13, which was/is amazing and hilarious.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I remember finding the very detailed network engineering page on the SS13 wiki which was unlisted and I haven't been able to find again since. I will be dissapointed if we can't reach these heights again goons. Lets get Coding

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oovee posted:

You Only Live Once, Loser

KomradeVirtunov
Sep 14, 2007
Is this where I relive my EVE Online glory days from 12 years ago?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

this game actually looks like it might be cool

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

KomradeVirtunov posted:

Is this where I relive my EVE Online glory days from 12 years ago?

depending on how bad those dreams are, you bet!

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Anyone who can't see how this will be the best goon game ever is blind. The sheer amount of terrible stuff that will indeed go down in EA is going to be amazing. I'll be there to video it all to share don't worry.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Yes it should be a ton of fuckery

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The ship designer's cooler than space engineers, like how you gotta build a foundation and wire your power up

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I’m pumped to watch goons get banned for unintentional gameplay or something when they ruin some losers five million dollar space boat by crashing a piece of poo poo into it but sturmwaffen88’s flying swastika gets a announced to the whole server with a bounty on it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Starfleet Dental will rise again?

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

iddqd posted:

Starfleet Dental will rise again?

If they do get in, I hope they remake Pop Muzik from SWTOR for this. With Robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz0hvpUTcGU

I mean, more robots.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
https://wiki.starbasegame.com/index.php/Endoskeleton_CV

So they're adding an in game functionality for employment history/kill history/etc which is pretty cool from a meta standpoint.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
But how will the masses explain how they lose to us when our terrible K/D will be available for all to see?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL-jbAMoWJs

Awesome video dropped today on how transporting stuff and logistics will work in Starbase.

Towards they end they show how a ship can tow an entire asteroid out of a field to move to a refinery, which is cool.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this game looks baller. cant wait to throw asteroids at people.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

Towards they end they show how a ship can tow an entire asteroid out of a field to smash it into another ship, which is cool.

Fixed that for you.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
How long will it be until someone can accelerate an asteroid to light speed to smash it into space stations and/or crash the game?

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 21, 2019

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

PhantomZero posted:

How long will it be until someone can accelerate an asteroid to light speed to smash it into space stations and/or crash the game?

Were doing this, man

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PhantomZero posted:

Space trebuchet :black101:

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

PhantomZero posted:

i give it 2 weeks

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Do we have a release date yet, I mean other than 2019?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Tempus Thales posted:

Do we have a release date yet, I mean other than 2019?
Nope.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

I think I'm going to play, but not necessarily with goons. I have a feeling I'll play longer that way

Gasp

no

how

Also if this doesn't have its own offsite forums and website that are also unconnected from a discord or subreddit then I'm not in tbqh

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
How would a game like this even run, either on the server or client without lagging to poo poo? Being able to cut sections of hull out in a super intricate way and have it have it's own collision box, having ships composed of dozens to hundreds of individual pieces bolted together, and having it in an MMO setting (read: hundreds of players interacting in the same area) screams laggy unplayable dogshit. I mean- you can already see FPS drops in the trailer, and I'm sure they have the best PC(s) they can have running and recording the gameplay.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

How would a game like this even run, either on the server or client without lagging to poo poo? Being able to cut sections of hull out in a super intricate way and have it have it's own collision box, having ships composed of dozens to hundreds of individual pieces bolted together, and having it in an MMO setting (read: hundreds of players interacting in the same area) screams laggy unplayable dogshit. I mean- you can already see FPS drops in the trailer, and I'm sure they have the best PC(s) they can have running and recording the gameplay.

what does your heart tell you

given their Q&A responses it's near certain this is going to be a more detailed version of Space Engineers/Empyrion rather than a EVE/X sort of worldsim, so anything beyond flying about is probably going to have ultralag

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

The FAQ goes into it (I recommend giving it a read) but the physics are very optimized -- they built an engine for this purpose. All the important MMO functions, checksums, world hosting, etc is all server side, and the rendering and stuff is all client-side to some degree. I'm not sure the precise interplay yet, but they've tested it with 100 people in a small area wrecking everything and it worked fine, bigger stress tests to come.

They've said that they do the videos and the development on higher end i5 machines with around 6GB of VRAM, if that makes a difference.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

They've said that they do the videos and the development on higher end i5 machines with around 6GB of VRAM, if that makes a difference.

I may need a new PC. :(

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

wafflethief posted:

I may need a new PC. :(

they said the launch target is 3-4GB VRAM, but yeah, I think this game is going to be fairly CPU intensive. At least it has multi-thread support!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

*hacker voice* im in

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

they said the launch target is 3-4GB VRAM, but yeah, I think this game is going to be fairly CPU intensive. At least it has multi-thread support!

I definitely need a new pc :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh poo poo, could you like, hack stuff in this game?