Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

dylguy90 posted:

Oh poo poo, could you like, hack stuff in this game?

as a game mechanic? maybe!

as a non-game mechanic? Also maybe! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

dylguy90 posted:

Oh poo poo, could you like, hack stuff in this game?

both with and without touching their computers

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Railgun “hacking” :getin:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

as a game mechanic? maybe!

as a non-game mechanic? Also maybe! :v:

if we don't fill the world with von neumann style self replicating auto-hacking kill-bots, who will?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Really want to stealthily install some sort of rudimentary processor that can identify the ship and data cable type it's attached to and let me override that poo poo. Like does the system include a way to encrypt data?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
the usual suspects of 'openworld sandbox mmos' are already flocking to it, ready to be disappointed again

i hope they actually do things right this time

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

dylguy90 posted:

Really want to stealthily install some sort of rudimentary processor that can identify the ship and data cable type it's attached to and let me override that poo poo. Like does the system include a way to encrypt data?

Or something that detects your ship approaching, shuts everything down and opens the doors for you. Or dumps the cargo out into space for you to collect with the pilot non-the-wiser until he reaches destination.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

the usual suspects of 'openworld sandbox mmos' are already flocking to it, ready to be disappointed again

i hope they actually do things right this time

It's nice to be part of a community 😊

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Idk I think maybe we should successfully build a spaceship that flies around and stuff without the game crashing before I start getting excited about how I am going to be the worlds greatest space hacker or whatever.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

no

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Comrayn posted:

Idk I think maybe we should successfully build a spaceship that flies around and stuff without the game crashing before I start getting excited about how I am going to be the worlds greatest space hacker or whatever.

And keep adding to it until it crashes everything, right?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
just make a giant ship full of code blocks that do something as much as possible, like opening and closing doors over and over again, or moving blocks

the server won't last long

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

just make a giant ship full of code blocks that do something as much as possible, like opening and closing doors over and over again, or moving blocks

Yea I have a feeling any kind of loop is going to hammer the poo poo out the servers.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i hope it works out, i need a good open world sandbox mmo :smith:

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
But does it have a dong detector?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-01-lego-mmo-development-dogged-by-dong-detection-software

Requesting status of robot dong detector in this robot voxelverse

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

FireWhizzle posted:

But does it have a dong detector?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-01-lego-mmo-development-dogged-by-dong-detection-software

Requesting status of robot dong detector in this robot voxelverse

When dongs are detected they will be copied into a database where they can be randomly added to any build that doesn't have any detectable dongs

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Reicere posted:

When dongs are detected they will be copied into a database where they can be randomly added to any build that doesn't have any detectable dongs

The entire game is a sophisticated robot dong data collection algorithm to sell to advertisers.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Going keep my eye on this game when it comes out, hope turns out alright.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Looked like they put a code execution timer probably to address this.. like each line of code is executed one at a time at a fixed rate. Also the code executor thingies presumably cost something to build.

But yeah they better have a fuckery detector of some kind to help the admins nuke shitter lag-stars

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

soy posted:

Looked like they put a code execution timer probably to address this.. like each line of code is executed one at a time at a fixed rate. Also the code executor thingies presumably cost something to build.

But yeah they better have a fuckery detector of some kind to help the admins nuke shitter lag-stars

Then we'd better find a way around it.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

oh, breaking YOLOL is going to be one of the things I will spend a lot of time doing.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

soy posted:

Yeah -- So YOLOL currently reads each line in a code block one line at a time, at a speed of 200ms per line. Not particularly fast enough to do things very well like tracking targets, but for a lot of other functions. I am not an expert on it, but it does seem to be very robust in what you can do within that limitation, however.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RocketRaygun posted:

oh, breaking YOLOL is going to be one of the things I will spend a lot of time doing.

If the backstory meta isn't that breaking YOLOL is the key to breaking the simulation universe and escaping our hellish existence then I don't even

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I honestly don't know enough about networking in regards to gaming, but wouldn't they collapse that specific shard once it exceeds it's processing cap and restart it rather than let it crash all their other shards the servers are hosting? Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I just don't understand why they'd let you DDOS their system from within their own system.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

heh.

Also, if they are using a modified version of Lua, then there are a number of hacks off the top of my head that could work, especially around forcing it to compute bytecode.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

I wonder if you can daisy chain yolol code blocks.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Raioner posted:

I wonder if you can daisy chain yolol code blocks.

you can.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

So we just daisy chain random code that says open the door with like forty code blocks.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

And now, without further ado, our very first goonfear compilation from the good people over in Discord !

code:
Game_Forge: I wonder... I saw a goons tag. Is that eve goons?

-Ray-: Just hope you don't run into The Goons

[Awoo] Oobfiche: the goons better becareful actually..
~snip~
-Ray-: Only, no matter what they try, they're probably goin to get rekt
[REPUB] Kmank: Anti-Goon alliance
Dragom the Cowboy bot: Is there actually any info from the Goons themselves
 that they'll go to Starbase ?

Kane Hart: Goons = 12 year old kids that do everything but play the games to try to win lol

[Awoo] Oobfiche: i did hear the storys of the goons, but they do need to becareful of 
starbase.
[Awoo] Oobfiche: they are, from other games, quite terrifying
Nobidexx: Goon squad?
[Awoo] Oobfiche: shivers all the stories.
[Awoo] Oobfiche: yes the goons.
[Awoo] Oobfiche: people told me about them..
[Awoo] Oobfiche: god dam its true

[Awoo] Oobfiche: and how smart are these goons engineering wise?
Big Mek Badgit: They are known for being one of the major player factions for EVE online, they took part in the Fountain War
Big Mek Badgit: From what I've seen of the videos on them, they seem rather well organized and competent
[RCBG] Solyxx: Goons have practically shaped eve over the last 10 years
[Awoo] Oobfiche: because i know eve is not a building sandbox.
Tangent: goons have some of the best engineers depending on the game.  
if you get some of goons brains in that 37 group, they will be a force to be reckoned with.
[RCBG] Solyxx: And they are pretty smart
-Ray-: I say let them come. If they're a problem, Developers will erase them..
Tangent: honestly, goons by themselves are not a bad thing.
[RCBG] Solyxx: Devs just admitted they will embrace griefing as part of the game

[BC] DrMelvin: I don't care about anyone unless they're just toxic then I hate them.
[BC] DrMelvin: The Goons here so far. Nice guys

-Ray-: Yet another warning to the community, the guys over at EVE Online have their eyes on this, 
and the Goons are already making preparations for Starbase.
If you see a Goon ship,

KILL IT WITH UNHOLY FIRE.
-Ray-: If the Goons come into this server I have a feeling the Devs might have to step in to restrict them

Dran: so like, if a goon sees you out there, he won't care what you have in your ship, or how hard you worked to get it,
 he'll steal it from you without a second thought and distribute the resources to his community

Eapple: because screw the goons

(Admech)Kantte: oh omnissiah the goons are here

moff: I especially hate it when murder hobos try to pass themselves off as pirates.
 No, you're not a pirate goon#547, pirates have dialogue and are interested in loot. 
You're just a dirty murder hobo that wants to destroy everything and make the game worse for everyone else

{BC} Shang: not wenies like goons
moff: Be a Fuel Rat, not a Goon

Taz Naga: i like goons... they look good under my guns
{BC} Shang: goon sypathizer

moff: Factions like JoD and GOON just make games objectively worse when they get to a certain size
moff: Honestly toxic murder hobos are unavoidable, it'll just come down to the ratio between them and the rest of us.
 If there's not too many of them it should be fine, maybe even interesting. A way to keep people on their toes. 
But if there's too many of them then the game is just going to be unfun for everyone that isn't some brain dead goon that just shoots everything that moves

[JoD] Poison: Goons are murder hobos we are peace seekers

Yakuto: wait did someone say test and goons are comming?

EmbededPower: now i know why people hate goons

holybluman: GOONS?!
holybluman: WHERE
holybluman: MUST KILL GOONS
holybluman: I hate goon swarm, they killed off eve online by make a super mega corp.

[COMPUTER COMPUTER] Burt Lington: sorry for the language
[COMPUTER COMPUTER] Burt Lington: i FLIPPING hate goons

AkseliFB: Goons provides us gameplay :smile: 
grr goons

Edit : formatting

Neltharak fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 4, 2019

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
counterpoint: eve goons are cringy badposters and aren't going to leave EVE anyway

i keep telling them this but no one listens

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Burt already has them riled up over COMPUTER but now this!?!?

Boy golly gee what ever will we do guys they are all gonna kill us.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

counterpoint: eve goons are cringy badposters and aren't going to leave EVE anyway

i keep telling them this but no one listens

Not empty quoting. Plus, the percentage of SA goons in goonswarm is very low. Everyone knows it's starfleet dental they have to worry about. :smug:

Neltharak fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 4, 2019

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Neltharak posted:

Not empty quoting. The percentage of SA goons in goonswarm is very low. Plus, it's clearly starfleet dental they have to worry about.

tbh you're not wrong

of all the SA-derivative gaming orgs, goonwaffe/imperium/whatever their dumb loving name is now is probably the least threatening.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I love the "We're going to out-engineer goons cause they all stupid" vibe they have going on there.

They're going to be so broken when they realize they aren't intellectually superior...

EDIT: LOL @ TEST, I thought they were busy with SC.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I love the "We're going to out-engineer goons cause they all stupid" vibe they have going on there.

They're going to be so broken when they realize they aren't intellectually superior...

EDIT: LOL @ TEST, I thought they were busy with SC.

SC TEST has nothing to do with eve test, it's just a random pubbie that snagged the name to get members. It worked.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
all of these nerds are going to be disappointed because the sum of our engineering will prob just be a block with a seat and an engine on it, with a plate with 20-30 guns facing forward

and our tactics will probably just be ramming people repeatedly :v:

also the test pubbie is actually kind of cool

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

also the test pubbie is actually kind of cool

The one in starbase ? Yeah, eve TEST culture is basically goons-lite. The SC pubbies are absolute cancer

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Neltharak posted:

The one in starbase ? Yeah, eve TEST culture is basically goons-lite. The SC pubbies are absolute cancer

yeah the starbase one, he's alright. Messaged me a few times and seems like a chill dude.

test in planetside is fun as well, and used to be fun in EVE before they began emulating goonwaffe.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I'm telling you guys. Forget guns. Figure out how to put a seat and enough rockets to move an asteroid and it'll do the work for us. Ez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

As we close in on early access it'd be hilarious to do a starfleet style "We're coming" trailer. Just to see what oceans of rage it can get.