Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

in most places that would be called a circle but i'll allow it :wooper:

4 circle parts and 2 hand parts

one version of hand part has a gold ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
official forums are up if you want to steal your username: https://forum.starbasegame.com/

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

They’re already complaining how unbalanced the game is and they haven’t touched the drat thing yet. :psyduck:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

forums op, nerf forums

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
here is my recruitment thread for my personal clan

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/the-forum-warriors.189/

please don't shitpost there thank you.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I like how they called you a spammer and you made one post at the time with more words than 90% of the posts on the forum :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is some theory crafting (of course) but wouldn't it be possible to design a ship blue print with a back door in it that the end user might not notice? Or like a Death Star exhaust port type thing?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

This is some theory crafting (of course) but wouldn't it be possible to design a ship blue print with a back door in it that the end user might not notice? Or like a Death Star exhaust port type thing?

Would be easy on something large enough if you add a single line of code to each ship function that calls back to some central script on a different chip and obfuscate it enough behind several layers of whatever those script blocks are called that people won't really check it, then hide a receiver in the hull that's always on. Transmit a signal that tells that one central script to flip a 1 to a 0 that breaks everything in the ship.

I've got some vague ideas on how one might make a sort of phased-array radar that can have a weapon system slaved to it based on what info is in the wiki, but it would require that your target A. have a transmitter and B. be broadcasting a signal. The receiver module, according to the wiki, has a variable for indicating a signal was found and variables to output the direction vector. Presumably one could build an array of them that sweeps a large angle and whenever it gets a ping back you can output the angles to a rangefinder/weapon gimbal and even sort of "lock-on" to the target, but like I said, it'd only work if your target was transmitting. It'd also be loving gigantic and bulky and only useful for base defense.

They really need to add more devices that can interface with their scripting language, it seems pretty neat but without more devices you're limited in what you can do. I guess you could smack a hundred rangefinders on a semicircle and call that a radar :v:

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 11, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

Would be easy on something large enough if you add a single line of code to each ship function that calls back to some central script on a different chip and obfuscate it enough behind several layers of whatever those script blocks are called that people won't really check it, then hide a receiver in the hull that's always on. Transmit a signal that tells that one central script to flip a 1 to a 0 that breaks everything in the ship.

That is loving awesome and hilarious.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Something wrong with the auth system? I can't seem to get it to work.

Got it.

Game looks cool, hope to earn the love and adoration of the rest of the Starbase community with you all.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 11, 2019

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

This is why I'm hoping you can lock-down devices via a PW or key, to prevent someone walking up to a ship and inputting random variable for everything they can interface with.

eonwe posted:

I poo poo posted.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I also signed up and did a post. Huzzah.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Back Hack posted:

This is why I'm hoping you can lock-down devices via a PW or key, to prevent someone walking up to a ship and inputting random variable for everything they can interface with.

I poo poo posted.

i also did a shitpost

also made a post in some slavery thread that 'hey slavery isn't cool and it shouldn't be a game mechanic in any way' which sucks that you actually have to post that in tyool 2019 but ya know gamers :negative:

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/would-you-rather-be-slaved-to-build-ships-or-be-slaved-to-fight.75/

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

coupedeville posted:

i also did a shitpost

also made a post in some slavery thread that 'hey slavery isn't cool and it shouldn't be a game mechanic in any way' which sucks that you actually have to post that in tyool 2019 but ya know gamers :negative:

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/would-you-rather-be-slaved-to-build-ships-or-be-slaved-to-fight.75/

lol yikes

i'm waiting for someone to post the Stimpire thing there

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

So with all survival games, there's always some weird rear end bureaucratic guild that tries to draw up rules and guidelines to make things as mundane and unfun as possible

One of these guilds has written a seven-page constitution

:cripes:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Jesus Christ. It's like almost word for word copy and paste of that one Star Citizen Guild that tried to do the same poo poo.

I vote we just say computer to them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
yea, not reading that

forge
Feb 26, 2006

eonwe posted:

To be fair... I shitposted before I read your post here.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

forums are a mistake

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

BurtLington posted:

So with all survival games, there's always some weird rear end bureaucratic guild that tries to draw up rules and guidelines to make things as mundane and unfun as possible

One of these guilds has written a seven-page constitution

:cripes:

Reminds me of Hyperion in LIF who would not allow regular people to wield weapons (in a full loot open world PVP game) and you had to fill out an application to get an armor set in 5-7 business days and you had to pay taxes with linen ropes. They were promptly wiped out by a Goon-pubby coalition who practiced the superior Full Communism Now system of government.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

Reminds me of Hyperion in LIF who would not allow regular people to wield weapons (in a full loot open world PVP game) and you had to fill out an application to get an armor set in 5-7 business days and you had to pay taxes with linen ropes. They were promptly wiped out by a Goon-pubby coalition who practiced the superior Full Communism Now system of government.

There is always one or two in every open world online game regardless of popularity, they never last or if they do, they only do so by hiding in the games' equivalent of a safe-zone. They almost never have a central culture to rally behind, recruit every idiot they can get their hands on to bloat the size of their group, have the biggest egos around bar none, and crumble at the first sign of trouble. They're usually the driving motivation for massive goon recruitment drives because nothing get's goons playing a game more then drama and tears. :v:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 14, 2019

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So I'm read the SB forums are little, it's become very apparent from reading the developers responses that the idea to ape Eve Online's, well, online features come directly from the CEO of the company who has a very clear idea how MMOs work and how players generally interact with each other; the dev team however, as far I've been able to figure out, their online experience consist entirely from playing on RP servers. It's almost adorable how naive they are about how player to player interaction, meta-gameplay, etc works. Anyway, here are some informative quotes I've spotted on their forum from skimming it, I'll probably update this specific post with more quotes later today after I web scrap their forum. :allears:

quote:

quote:

Will there be pilot seat locks of any sort?
The only 100% safety is safe zones and despawning ships at safe zone stations (note that dynamic safe zones can be lost, so it's important to despawn at a well secured station if you store your ship for longer time). However, despawning is available usually at any trading hub or any station who wishes to have any visitors, so that should be plenty. Player-established trade hubs most likely will offer full protection similar to dev faction stations.

Outside safe zones you can wire your ship as you wish, and maybe some robot-id-tech will also come available, but nothing is 100% proof as very skilled pirates can bypass measurements, given enough time. It's also worth noting that you can pilot ships without sitting in the chair, or even without the chair at all. The chair just enables the quickbinds for the piloting, which is much more convenient than manually turning levers.

The despawn/spawn system supports ownership/pilot lists, but once ship is spawned and flown outside safe zone it can be stolen. Note that initial safe zone will be rather large and includes all basic trading/mining. Initial safe zone is also expanding, but expansion rate is based on how many players participate in the expansion jobs (ie. participate building new stations at the borders of the safe zone, thus expanding the zone). Most likely expansion direction is inside the asteroid field.

If your ship gets stolen you usually get insurance out of it.

quote:

quote:

Will there be a ship ownership/tagging system?
There will be a ownership registry where the legal owner of the ship is listed. There is also (optional) ship ID broadcasting system coming, which broadcasts ID attached to the device (and to a certain ship). Ships who broadcast their ID can be checked from registry, most likely anywhere. Players can opt to not have ID broadcaster or opt to turn it off, but most law enforcement armies will most likely take that as a sign of illegal ship.

quote:

quote:

Will AI traders exist?
There will be stations operating in the grey zone, and some of them will definitely also accept stolen goods. Whether or not they are player-built or some dev faction black ops thing, I don't know yet :unsure:

I think stolen ships sell for a fraction of their list value as their use is limited, but for some players stolen ships are perfect way to get a ship cheap and fast. Especially if you are a pirate there's a lot of good uses for very cheap illegal ships, albeit a legal ship can be used as a disguise better. (but pirates should note that if your legal ID gets reported for piracy it might be flagged as pirate ID anyways, and there goes the legal status).

Many "illegal" ship ID's will most likely be simply "Owned by insurance company", so it's not straight out always "Stolen ship", thus someone might just think it's a ship someone found and is now returning it to it's legal owner.

quote:

quote:

Considering there is no established law enforcement, or law in general, how will pirates and thieves be held accountable for their actions?
Imperial army will act as a law enforcement, and my plan is to establish that first thing in the pre-alpha. However the numbers will be limited and a lot of resources are tied up fighting terrorist kingdom, so Empire can only secure most vital trade routes and hubs, and even those with a schedule (like armed convoy leaving every two hours or so).

quote:

quote:

How does one gain or lose a dynamic safe zone? You mentioned players being able to create trade hub safe zones.
The idea revolves around military presence contributing to both safety and loss of it (own side contributes to safety, opponents to loss). Which side wins is solved by shooting at each other.

You can also get safety provided by others thru alliances.

Details of the design, and majority of the implementation are still under work.

quote:

quote:

Have you given thought to how you will deal with insurance fraud? I can easily see people "Stealing" ships from themselves by splitting their factions, trading ships, and getting free insurance credit for them.
I think both insurance fraud and inspecting it will be part of the gameplay. But we'll see how that turns out.

Orv
May 4, 2011
skeletorlaughing.gif

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Proof of concept for our latest goon gimmick

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
If you guys aren't perusing the official SB forums

there are a lot of unironic "facts and logic" posters :wooper:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
And this game is supposed to be in Early Access this year? I'm starting to wonder if they aren't gonna push SB to 2020 now.....

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Forum wars are part of early access

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase - 30 Person Developer Space Battle

New video

Noice.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Kimsemus posted:

If you guys aren't perusing the official SB forums

there are a lot of unironic "facts and logic" posters :wooper:

Promising

Gonna start the market for purestrain titanium

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Those damaged ships at the end really showcase the voxel tech they got, and the performance seemed good but we'll see how well that scales.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
It looks nice but I wouldn't judge performance based on an edited video.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase - Spaceship Design Feature Video

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I've been looking for some ground floor action to throw a bunch of money at, cause havok by not playing the game 'right' and then ultimately abandon no more that 3 months later. Will Starbase be the right fit?

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

You're in the right place. Welcome to the wait.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Computer

toastedyou55228
Jan 28, 2014

Comrayn posted:

Computer

Yes very

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Baiting the official discord is my new drunken pastime and I highly recommend it.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

That’s the M2tt I know and love

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
Well it was fun while it lasted.

The answer is no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

M2tt posted:

Well it was fun while it lasted.

The answer is no.

a lovely edgelord fest online? I can't wait.

Actually I'll just 100% sit this one out and read the thread.