Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Neltharak posted:

As we close in on early access it'd be hilarious to do a starfleet style "We're coming" trailer. Just to see what oceans of rage it can get.

do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
the avengers themesong should play through the whole thing

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

the avengers themesong should play through the whole thing

i'm partial to "we didn't start the fire"

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

SabinBlitz posted:

Burt already has them riled up over COMPUTER but now this!?!?

Boy golly gee what ever will we do guys they are all gonna kill us.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I should have known it was Burt stirring up the pubbies, he’s always had a knack at doing that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Have they given any hints when this will be in EA?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
What ever you want in a promo video, I will narrate and sing.

I’ll dig up some stuff from Diamond Frogs in a bit, it’s all scattered online

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
It looks like you can manufacture armour pieces of indeterminate size and weld them onto a frame.

They couldn't do like 10 players in SE without horrendus lag and that was orderly positioned voxel blocks so TBQH I'm skeptical this won't be a laggy mess.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think it’s way too early to decide if Goons as a whole should jump on board start organizing when we don’t ever know much how the game is going to play or interact. We know tidbits for sure from the dev video blogs, but not the real important stuff like how it’s networked, how do all the shards interact with each other, or if there is any real scarcity of resources that would allow meta-gameplay to happen in the first place.

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009
This game gonna be worth a poo poo?

In for the disappoint.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Back Hack posted:

I think it’s way too early to decide if Goons as a whole should jump on board start organizing when we don’t ever know much how the game is going to play or interact. We know tidbits for sure from the dev video blogs, but not the real important stuff like how it’s networked, how do all the shards interact with each other, or if there is any real scarcity of resources that would allow meta-gameplay to happen in the first place.

Keep your logic to yourself, this poo poo is going to be the next coming of jesus.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Look at mister reasonable with his logic over here, tssk

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Back Hack posted:

didn't anyone tell you?

the hype train has no brakes!

Seriously though, we have some idea of how all that works, but we won't know anything concrete until the alpha/EA. But from the dev comments in the FAQ/what they have said, they seem to have the netcode to allow mass combat relatively lag free, and reasons to hold territory, so we will see. :iiam:

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

It looks like you can manufacture armour pieces of indeterminate size and weld them onto a frame.

They couldn't do like 10 players in SE without horrendus lag and that was orderly positioned voxel blocks so TBQH I'm skeptical this won't be a laggy mess.
Space Engineers is graced with an unbelievably incompetent development team the likes of which the world has scarcely seen. That said, it sounds like Starbase will be needing a few servings of loving Magic™ to run properly if there aren't major compromises or ultra-advanced trickery.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer
This game looks like it could be good. But I am also following Dual Universe which looks similar. So idk which one, if either, will be good/survive.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

justsharkbait posted:

This game looks like it could be good. But I am also following Dual Universe which looks similar. So idk which one, if either, will be good/survive.

My big problem with Dual Universe and Space Engineer is that there is no risk to anything because you can literally materialize anything you want instantly out of thin air; they feel less like real games with working mechanics and more like play pens. They're primarily builder games first with tacked-on pvp as a secondary concern, while Starbase from everything we've seen has building, pvp, and the interactions that result from those two things are on equal footing with each other. Starbase so far looks like it has some degree of consequences and you have to work at getting the resources you need to make anything which opens a lot of doors when it comes to loving with pubbies, which I can say at all for the other games.

I just hope the more we see of the game, the more it proves to be the game we hope it to be.

Raioner posted:

Keep your logic to yourself, this poo poo is going to be the next coming of jesus.

Neltharak posted:

Look at mister reasonable with his logic over here, tssk

Kimsemus posted:

didn't anyone tell you?

the hype train has no brakes!

I lovingly hate your guys' positivity so much. Mostly out of envy. :laffo:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 6, 2019

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted:

My big problem with Dual Universe and Space Engineer is that there is no risk to anything because you can literally materialize anything you want instantly out of thin air; they feel less like real games with working mechanics and more like play pens. They're primarily builder games first with tacked-on pvp as a secondary concern, while Starbase from everything we've seen has building, pvp, and the interactions that result from those two things are on equal footing with each other. Starbase so far looks like it has some degree of consequences and you have to work at getting the resources you need to make anything which opens a lot of doors when it comes to loving with pubbies, which I can say at all for the other games.

I just hope the more we see of the game, the more it proves to be the game we hope it to be.

I thought Dual Universe was gathering and building. It has its own stuff programming language for coding guns as well. I guess comparing the two, Starbase does seem to have more PVP focus, which would be my preference.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This poo poo is gonna lag and break so bad in practice, even if they stress-tested it. Players find all sorts of ways to break poo poo especially when they make their super duper special giant automatic factories.

That said, does YOLOL run at 200ms on a serverwide or local basis? If it's just 200ms per script, I bet you could conceivably jerryrig something like 5 separate chips manually started each sending inputs to a single motor to get system response down to 40 ms or something, but that's dangerously close to theorycrafting and this doesn't even have a release date. Definitely gonna pay attention though, it tickles the space station 13 + space engineers box for me.

I mainly would want to just recreate the Garry's Mod contraption I made like a decade ago using the cannon script in this game where you put the railguns on a big wheel that rotates at the same RPM as it takes for the gun to recharge when it hits top dead center :v:

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 6, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Neltharak posted:

As we close in on early access it'd be hilarious to do a starfleet style "We're coming" trailer. Just to see what oceans of rage it can get.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

:frogon:

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Not too obvious, but ominous enough I think. I like it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

That's from Goonrathi back when we thought SC was good game oh so many years ago, we had so much proganada being made for that game after we jumped ship from MWO when we ran Word of Lowtax. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IhjG43Ckiw&list=PLjeDW90PBFsfSpDe2RBkncTxgNSfegDL9

Looks like Cpt. Underpants kept some of videos we put together, they're mostly terrible.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 7, 2019

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Back Hack posted:

That's from Goonrathi back when we thought SC was good game oh so many years ago, we had so much proganada being made for that game after we jumped ship from MWO when we ran Word of Lowtax. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IhjG43Ckiw&list=PLjeDW90PBFsfSpDe2RBkncTxgNSfegDL9

Looks like Cpt. Underpants kept some of videos we put together, they're mostly terrible.

poo poo i remember those bomber bros ones. It feels like an eternity ago.

Probably because it was :frog:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

wafflethief posted:

Not too obvious, but ominous enough I think. I like it.

I do not remember which goon did it, but there is a TON of good ideas from the Star Citizen threads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_NN8XWrHn8&t=54s

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The first year of Star Citizen was crazy good. You know, before it became painfully obvious that nothing was going to happen.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Nalin posted:

The first year of Star Citizen was crazy good. You know, before it became painfully obvious that nothing was going to happen.

Same deal with MWO before that, here's hoping Starbase isn't third times the charm.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Same deal with MWO before that, here's hoping Starbase isn't third times the charm.

MWO was still a decent pubbie tear harvest; even if the game itself was bad in bad ways.

Always squawk.

Un(starbase)related goonfear in spoiler:
https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/105374-squawk/

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

e: ignore this.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 9, 2019

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Back Hack posted:

e: ignore this.

No

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

What's all this then?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase - Spaceship Warfare & Weapons

Looks like the ship weapons are modular and completely interchangeable. They're like freak'in legos. :dance:

Drewjitsu posted:

What's all this then?

An untapped well of pubbie tears. In all seriousness, it's basically Space Engineer and a working version of SC had a robot baby.

E: I really like the idea that you need to be considerate of not only what weapons you put on your ship but how you place them because they can be an extreme liability if you're not careful.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 10, 2019

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

any sufficiently powerful engine is also a deadly weapon
any sufficiently powerful gun is also an engine

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I'm on the hype train
Keeping an eye on the thread to see what we are up to when the game comes to EA. Hopefully the area control is actually meaningful and there's scope to do some real space logistics

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Another video got released: Starbase - Boltcrackers Episode 2

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

pity about the asteroid, but what about at high velocity?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
This game is gonna be nuts.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Starbase - Rental Lots Feature Video

And another one, looks like they're curbing ideas from Eve Online.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Back Hack posted:

To be honest the sov mechanics from EVE aren't terrible in terms of creating spatial areas of control, known to other parties, that have utility and can be attacked and defended. I'm totally fine with the rental lot idea if it's extrapolated properly.

Rental lots as a commodity even in safe zones (generating and selling power, etc) is a really cool idea in general.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 11, 2019

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Back Hack posted:

Looks pretty awesome

I'm especially interested in the storefront part. From what I gather the economy is going to be heavily, if not totally, player run. A well designed or quirky store (or even the closest one) could attact customers like real life, as opposed to just "who's got the the lowest price on the list"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

Rental lots as a commodity even in safe zones (generating and selling power, etc) is a really cool idea in general.

Albion had this and it was a total bumrush to reserve them all at release and those people never let them go. Ended up being a bit stupid.