Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Fire Emblem randomizers have been a thing for a while now, but they have come a long way since the early days. The latest and possibly greatest is Yune, which handles FE4 as well as all three GBA games - although there is something to be said for the self-randomizing FE8 hack which not only randomizes characters, stats, and items, but throws 3DS-era styled skills into the mix as well.

I started a Yune-randomized run of Blazing Sword in the Romhackeria a little while ago, but since several people were interested in doing their own runs as well, we decided to gather them all in this thread.

Just like the original Romhackeria, this is a megathread where anyone can participate! Any format is fine, but please use the test poster for screenshot lp updates and link them rather than posting them directly in the thread. If you make an intro post in the thread, I will link to it below.

A warning before you proceed: This thread is likely to be full of spoilers for any game being played here, and probably won't make very much sense if you aren't familiar with the original titles. If you're interested in seeing the stories as they were intended, there are finished "proper" let's plays of most of them on the archive.

LP index

Ninian's Bizarre Randomizer (FE7) by vilkacis (Finished!)

FE8 self-randomizer by Minus Green (Finished!)

Fire Emblem 7 Randomised by silversatyr

The one without Roy (FE6) by Faillen Angel

FE4 by MarquiseMindfang

Thracia 776 by Miacis

FE8 Self Randomizer Thracia 776 mode by Saladin Rising

Fire Emblem: Path of Randomness (FE9) by Sorites (abandoned)

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I've been feeling a little worn out recently. I think I need to play something nice and relaxing.

Ah, good old Blazing Sword. Surely we're all sufficiently familiar with this game by now that there can be no-

-surprises...?!

All right so what the heck?

This is Yune.

Yune is three ounces of whoop-rear end a randomizer for Fire Emblem. It claims to be universal, but right now it "only" supports FE4 and the GBA titles. Which is still a lot! It's also even more amusing than the other randomizers I've seen, because reasons.

Let's check it out.

Part one: Dragon Blood
01: Lynian, of the Lorca
02: Hector, you lout!
03: Kicking Glass
04: What Happened To Dorcas
05: The wrath of Rath
06: A frail Lycian priestess
07: Wyvern Lord, on tour now
08: Matthewood
09: Chef Beyard
10: Nice Ballista, Nerd
11: A Cunning Plan
12: A Giant Walks Among You

Part two: BadCon Tendency
13: Get A Load Of This Guy
14: Bards Of A Feather
15: Different Beginnings
16: A Peddler's Junk
17: The Use Of Staves
18: Hammertime
19: Ninian's Bizarre Re-recruitment
20: Luck poo poo Stack
21: Shiver Me Timbers
22: I Ship It
23: Stealth General
24: Kishu-nah
25: Highs And Lowens
26: Lucius Gets The Boot
27: Mean, Green Kill-Stealing Machines
28: An Actual Problem
29: Promotional Material
30: Dual Disappointments
31: Downright Seal-y
32: Headpats
33: Lady Lyndies
34: Training Montage
35: Character Assassination
36: gently caress You, Athos
37: I Await You On The Dread Isle
38: Limstellast Stand
39: Killshuna
40: Light

Ramos posted:

I can't believe Florina got so big.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 24, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, I'm glad you're doing that one, because the skill bullshit can get pretty funny!

The peak/water option is basically so you can get characters who start on normally unwalkable terrain to move - the bandits in Ross/Garcia's chapter can't get off the mountains if they're, say, mercenaries, for instance.

Generalter looks amazing :allears:

loving :lol: iron ballista and 11 hp Seth

and the radioactive Baguette

Oh man, we're off to a good start!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

16: A Peddler's Junk

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^
What about Lyn :mad:

Minus Green posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I guess "pure random" just changes which classes can and can't cross water/mountains, then?

I think so. Probably wouldn't recommend it since there's a chance it could lock the game.

quote:

I have no idea if the class fuckery in the prologue applies to just us or to Valter, too. I hope not, because he looks awesome as is.

I played this a while back but I don't remember how it works. Based on the scene-to-scene changes, probably Valter will re-randomize every time he shows up.

quote:

Edit: That 13x looked... fun. It's a good thing Florina is strong enough to bench-press the entire army.

Florina is very good.

It really wasn't that bad after the initial wyvern WHAT. But it was a big WHAT.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't see anything strange about this, just a girl making sure her brother is thoroughly healthy.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Why would you let me know this exists not four days before I have an exhibition to show off at? Must... restrain.... hand...

Excuse you, the proper phrase is "Down, sword hand!"

I imagine this thread will be going a lot longer than four days, so feel free to chip in at a later date if you want!

Minus Green posted:

Oh. That's how bad it can be. Because Breguet doesn't have a weapon and therefore can't attack, the game hangs here, forcing me to reset and then mash Start to get through the cutscenes.

:roflolmao:

It was even better than anticipated.

Barricade looks curious. It makes me think it should halve damage taken on enemy phase, but if so, it would probably just have said that.

:stare: Hawkeye+... Well then.

Sorites posted:

Are you sure you want to encourage this, Greil?

Greil is a good, supportive dad who accepts his son even if he is a furry degenerate.

(You should probably used jpgs for this. Looks good, though!)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

These randomizers are going places. :allears:

Oh yes. Oh, yes indeed.

Namagem posted:

After resetting and playing through on normal, I ran into a second softlock:

That's really weird. I don't remember how far I got when I played that, but definitely past that part.

Sorites posted:

If the enemy gets the last hit of the fight, that hit is for half damage.

That sounds logical.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Pffft! That is so unfair.

So is wyvern lord Titania, holy poo poo :stare:

Aw, Ability to Fight at All, Ever was my favourite skill of Oscar's in vanilla.

That was pretty great. Welcome to the early dancer club! I do not pity you at all :getin:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well! Welcome to the Early Dancer and Early Boots clubs.

Garcia could have been good, his speed base is enough to offset the crummy growth, it's just... man, those axes just aren't much fun, are they.

Moulder the ball-der looks pretty decent, as balls go.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

17: The Use Of Staves

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

That next map...

What the hell did you even do?!?

Oh, you know. Just the usual.

FPzero posted:

Also vilk, I think you should give Guy the Body Ring because he's your main lord and being able to double more or even just be doubled less would be good overall. And he won't get his promo for a long time (unless the randomizer changes that) so he won't get his Con boost from promoting until near endgame.

I may well end up doing that. Right now, though, it's just like, he goes from really negative speed to slightly less negative speed, so it won't actually do anything.

Sorites posted:

Does this qualify me for the club?

I say that counts.

And I made the thread, so I get to decide these things. :hai:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I wanna play these Randomizers so bad but my VBA is loving up all to hell. Save files and save states keep corrupting and I can't figure out why or how to fix it

SystemLogoff posted:

Try mGBA instead.

Or a different version of vba. The one that's just called "vba" hasn't been updated in a long while, but there's a vba-m that's more recent, and maybe one other one as well? I seem to remember.

marshmallow creep posted:

I just want to say that this thread is amazing and I am happy it exists.

:buddy:

silversatyr posted:

I might get in on this randomise action too. I'm enjoying the crazy. X3

The more the merrier! ...or you know, at least shared suffering.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

So if someone randomizes into a lord class, do that have to wait for the story to give them a Heaven Seal or can they use another item instead.?

I didn't get that far in my first run, but everyone else promotes with the regular stuff so presumably lords do as well. In FE7, at least, you get two of them in plot scenes, so since Mani Katti is untouched, these probably are as well.

Minus Green posted:

What the gently caress happened to Neimi?!

:goonsay: THEY PUT PPPPPPffft no down sword hand

At least her palette is nice!

Wow, they spawned aura on mooks in single-digit chapters, that would have been really mean if it weren't awful.

Hahaha that 50 gold. :allears: I'm thinking that's the kind of thing that's just supposed to give you gold when you take it.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm kinda sad that Vilk's units can't randomly gain extra Con on level up, with how bad people are turning out.

Guess who's also sad

But Bartre and Florina can probably carry this team until Nino promotes, so I'm actually pretty well off.

(This doesn't mean I'm about to stop complaining.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know about mGBA, but with VBA you just download, unzip it where you want it, and run it. You'll want to go to options->input->configure to set up your controller/keyboard, and that should be all that's strictly necessary. Options->video->configure will let you change how it looks (I recommend setting the filter to simple 2x or 3x, because I find smoothing filters almost always look awful, but just pick one you like).

The FE8 self-randomizer is a patch and needs a ups patcher. Yune will output a patched rom on its own, no need for additional utilities.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

18: Hammertime

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'll need a guiding ring for that, though... :iiam:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sorites posted:

I don't think having a third Bard is really any use.

It means I can give someone four actions per turn! Imagine that, I could heal four people at once! You know, if I had a healer.

Also Rhys is the prettiest catgirl :allears:

:monocle: That is a nice sprite, and nice stats too!

quote:

Seriously, Garcia has weapon triangle disadvantage but he's way more likely to hit with an axe than most of these enemies are with a sword.

That's because Garcia is actually very good. :colbert:

(well also the randomizer but mostly just Garcia being very good)

Still enjoying Moulder the meatball-der.

marshmallow creep posted:

Serra as Hector looks so good.

She does! And is also amazing for all sorts of other reasons!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always thought Serra looked like Sailor Moon so now I think we need a Sailor Moon reboot where she wields an axe instead of a tiara/sickle-wand/a scepter/ a stronger scepter/ a kaleidoscope/a stronger scepter/a stronger scepter with a cup on it

I'd watch it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

19: Ninian's Bizarre Re-recruitment

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

-Ross is a Monk with permanent devil effect for both him and enemies attacking him.

how

I mean a lot of that is absolutely silly but just. :psyduck:

Materant posted:

It'll be fine, vilk, it's an axe user with con! Those are a novelty in your team, last I checked.

Yes. This is correct. So on top of being terrible, he's going to get bullied by the other axe units for sticking out.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Minus Green posted:

I know in the vanilla game, there's a glitch where Tethys (or anyone, really) can learn dark magic and it caused a crash with her specifically if you had animations on, so I had believed them getting Wary Fighter was meant as a band-aid for that crash.

It is, but there's nothing special about dancer animations, so you can just edit them and add the command that every other animation has that properly ends their turn and they should be able to double no problem.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

Edit: Well never mind, my run send to have glitched and chapter 4 won't end even though the defeat enemies condition has been met. I guess my run is over.

You're the second person to report getting stuck on that chapter, so something definitely seems to be up with it.

Can you try loading your save in an unmodified FE8 rom? The randomizer is so modified I can't really say if it'll work, but it's possible you could finish the vanilla chapter and then switch back to the randomized rom after that.

The Self-Randomizer doesn't seem very stable. It's hilarious but probably not good for a full playthrough.

It seems to perform worse now than when I was playing it, which is strange. I don't remember seeing a lot of reports like this back then. Although, it has been a while...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Everything about that is amazing. The stats... the skills... the weapon... the fact that she has 0 effective speed wielding it... Just pure Randomizer™ :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

I can try but I don't know how it'll work on phone. Either way I think I'm gonna report it and the weird Grisly Wound interaction to the thread on FEU.

Reporting it is definitely good. Hopefully there's a fix for it.

If not, if you can't get it to work but can upload the save somewhere, I can see if I can get it to work on my end.

RBA Starblade posted:

Trying to figure out who was in what role in the FE7 randomizer is throwing me for a loop

It's pretty great, isn't it! But I may as well put up a list, so, in something like their order of appearance:

Ninian is Lyn, Guy is Hector, and Matthew is Eliwood.
Hector is Sain
Jaffar is Kent
Priscilla is Florina
Dorcas is Wil
Rath is Dorcas
Florina is Serra
Lucius is Erk
Heath is Matthew
Karel is Rath
Erk is Nils
Eliwood is Lucius
Rebecca is Ninian
Raven is Wallace
Kent is Oswin
Legault is Lowen
Wil is Bartre
Bartre is Marcus
Nino is Rebecca
Nils is Guy
Merlinus is still Merlinus
Serra is Priscilla
Dart is Heath
Wallace is Raven

And speaking of...

20: Luck poo poo Stack

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 4, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

As of the end of this update, I have eight units who can use axes.

Seven of them have no other weapon ranks. And one of them is Florina.

In vanilla, at this point you would have three axe locked units, and Marcus.

e:

Minus Green posted:

drat, the randomizer really seems to have an axe to grind with you. It's too bad so many of your units are on the chopping block because their stats just don't make the cut...

i'll see myself out

:froggonk:

Ramos posted:

You might say it's trying to hammer in a point? :v:

:frogout:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 4, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Pragmatic on Natasha is pretty great.

I think Joshua is a second-tier journeyman, unless that's changed in the latest version.

:lol: Impale on Ross is pretty great, too. Four times the damage, holy poo poo.

Red outline on Joshua is clearly intentional, sometimes people just go splat when you hit them that hard.

Sorites posted:

Next Time:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LtXVjOmvDY

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

GrabbinPeels posted:

Gilliam update: Bishop Gilliam is somehow worse.

Yeeeeah. I do like seeing these briefly, but it's so much nicer actually playing the game if people look at least somewhat normal.

And speaking of playing games...

21: Shiver Me Timbers

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Hahahah that Sain as Canas is fantastic.

Quite, yes! The fact that he's a pega-pony princess makes it even better.

Sorites posted:

I propose that Vilk put all the Boots on Nino. Let's see how far you can get one unit moving by the end of the game.

That wouldn't be possible since I've already given one pair to Heath. Maybe I should just keep doing that...

That Lyn vs Batta fight :allears:

I'd have started rng abusing that the moment he healed back to full, not gonna lie.

I hope your Legault turns out better than mine, he looks good as an Eliwood.

(Also I'd keep linking videos because once you have more chapters lined up, it's neater than having a row of embeds, or a row of unlabelled urls for people who have embeds turned off.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

something inside of me told me that Gilliam is absolutely the kind of person who would train and train and train until he could sprint across the battlefield in full armor and carrying 5 spears

Something inside you wasn't lying. He absolutely would.

theshim posted:

That sure is a radioactive pegasus :stare:

This pegasus is all rad, no ioactive. :c00lbutt:

Minus Green posted:

:laffo: The guy going "terrible, terrible, I tell you" and then giving you a hammer got a good laugh out of me.

FPzero posted:

ok wow how many Hammers has the game given you at this point? Is it enough to outfit all 7 of your axes with them?

I have legit been given so many hammers that I've started to sell them off and forgotten just how many there's been.

And the worst part is I still don't have even a single sickle! :ussr:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my! Forde being disappointing! And here I thought this was a randomizer.

Orson's lightsaber looks pretty neat. And those cav palettes are surprisingly nice!

Command Mercy could be really useful.

Well I mean you basically have Roy.

Use Treck :colbert:

(Use actual Roy, too, if you get him.)

Nomad Yoder and the tiniest Juno :allears: That could be fun.

e: but please size up the images because they are tiny. You can do them all at once with irfanview, file->batch conversion, set output format to png, check the "use advanced options" box, hit Advanced, then set to 200% under resize, and uncheck the "Use resample function" box below.

I am so jealous of that Isadora. So jealous.

Keldulas posted:

I got the Yune randomizer because this poo poo looks like a lark, but I sort of find myself just staring at the options screen for a while. Anyone have any recommendations with this?

Just use the default values if you don't have anything special in mind. I would recommend turning on the random weapon effects because they are Hilarious (and iirc the latest Yune actually tells you what weapons do in the descriptions) and don't set minimum move to less than 4. Turning off randomization for thieves guarantees you'll get them when the game wants you to have them, which can reduce frustration.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 6, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:allears:

Also, more evidence that if you don't have purple hair and can't fly, Lyn isn't interested.

Oh, and weapons can't be stolen, so you don't need to worry about that. Vulneraries, promotion items, statboosters, those are fair game, but weapons and staves are not in the GBA games.

Nice Lucius!

And here's my update

22: I Ship It

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Can't you just remove the skill? Or does it keep happening even then?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It is so weird seeing those 100+ growths everywhere :psyduck:

Ahaha Roy and Lilina showing up together, that's great

...and then there's Lot :goleft:

Goddamn all four are ludicrously busted by FE6 standards. Even Karel is going to be amazing if he just gets a few levels, and he's a mage, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Soren :allears:

(But my favourite is still Catgirl Rhys.)

Keldulas posted:

Surprises can definitely be a thing. My Marcus turned into Rebecca the Sage. Pretty cool to have a healer, at least! ....Sages have 4 movement :(.

The 4 move pain is real :(

At least you can still Physic from a distance!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not familiar with the FE9 randomizer. Does it have any settings for that kind of stuff?

23: Stealth General

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sorites posted:

No. It's really a modding tool that you're supposed to use deliberately, changing skills or inventories in a calculated way. The randomize button is kind of a throw in feature and doesn't have any settings.

Ah.

Anyway, letting someone else give hints sounds like a good compromise.

hopeandjoy posted:

I'd love to play randomized fe9 but I have no idea what I would do with myself if a rolled a bad Soren.

I can't NOT use him. That's illegal.

:hai:

Which is why I suggest randomizing, checking his stats, and re-randomizing if they suck.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:allears:

It's great seeing all this chaos. I'm just surprised we haven't seen any more "well, guess I'm not recruiting you" situations like that.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

silversatyr posted:

Mani Katti ain't worth the pain

Would be really nice if you got a Lyn lord somehow, though!

That is a really light iron axe! And it's not terrible in stats either. You're going to have a pretty good time if you get any axe users.

Haha that shaman just noped out.

And yeeeah you could have conserved that fire tome a bit more.

I do understand wanting to play it legit, I don't mean you should rng abuse, I'm just saying I wouldn't have the patience for it myself. It was kind of hilarious seeing you break Lucius' iron sword and crit fishing for 70 turns, though.

Man those Lucius levels were bad! ...and then I laughed like an idiot as he finally got one point of strength, and only had one sword use left. :roflolmao:

Glad you did better on the second run.

...Better hope you get someone who can save that village on the next map :shepspends:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

So how exactly do you patch the fe8 randomizer onto the fe8 file?

vilkacis posted:

The FE8 self-randomizer is a patch and needs a ups patcher.

GeneX posted:

mGBA is extremely simple, actually! You open the program (unzip it, then find the actual program in the file it makes), choose the rom to run from an option in mGBA (make sure it’s in a .gba format), and then, from mGBA itself, choose to apply a patch to it (patch in .ups format here). No need for an external patcher, even.

May be more complicated for windows vs mac, but I doubt it.

To make it even clearer, on a mac:

1) download mGBA and unzip it (use unarchiver or something).
2) find the actual mGBA application/program in the unzipped folder, run it
2.5) have a ROM in a .gba format, shove it into the same folder as the mGBA app for easy access
3) load the ROM using the command that appears in the "file" dropdown in the top left, shove
3.5) have a patch for the ROM in .ups format, shove it in the mGBA folder like the ROM
4) load the patch using the command that appears in the file dropdown

Take your pick.

24: Kishu-nah

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Sassy gains or no, Dorcas is still very, incredibly, stupendously good :colbert:

I would expect that Kishuna's crew are fully random as well, but I can't say for certain. Would definitely be funny, so hopefully that's a thing that can happen.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Usually, this kind of stuff gets blamed on "they wanted to sell strategy guides" and frankly it makes as much sense as just plain insanity.

But yeah. Nils to level 7. In the prologue. To unlock a side quest chapter if you manage unlock a different side quest chapter and kill a dude with 50 avoid within the space of a turn within that side quest chapter.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Amazing :allears:

That 16 Artur myrm strength is great, too.

...Novala's palette is actually pretty nice, can we swap one of those radioactive guys for him...?

Weeble posted:

19xx IS a fun super-secret-side chapter though.

I don't even remember, but I'm not convinced it's worth 70 turns of barding.

BlackPersona posted:

Like father like son! :haw:

That is hilarious.

A little obnoxious not being able to use silver lances on playable units, but I'm just gonna call that worth it.

LordHippoman posted:

I love that the FE8 randomizer can turn your units into monsters. Do any of them give access to the final boss classes? Can you potentially roll a Fire Dragon in FE7?

I don't think those are included.

Keldulas posted:

Amusing follow-up with the guarenteed Bolting death on that map. All the dialogue still plays with the prisoners breaking out. Ghooooosssssttttttsssss.

:iiam::hf::allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

25: Highs And Lowens

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as I am :allears:

Chocolate Bunny posted:

So, how many axe users are you up to now?

Should be 10. Recruited one pirate, promoted one paladin since the last time I counted.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Thunder God Dorcas. Someone get this man a brown, hooded cloak

I don't know about that, yellow is more his colour, but he will probably get his hands on Excalibur.