Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

vilkacis posted:

I can only hope that one day, I too will have a paladin just as colourful.

Or... or any paladin at all, honestly.

Game...? :ohdear:

You will be given more Axe Users and you will like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

With how the class balance has been for you so far, I fully expect the one Paladin you get to be the replacement for Athos :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Speaking of...is Archsage in the mix? Is it possible to run around as a whirlwind of magic?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Minus Green posted:

With how the class balance has been for you so far, I fully expect the one Paladin you get to be the replacement for Athos :v:

The paladin will have 4 mov.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Don't forget the Mages. Lots and lots and lots of Mages!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Given vik has infinite use handaxes I dont see how lots of axe dudes is a bad thing.

Also, that's totally Jagen on the next gate :(

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

One of those two things is definitely true and factual :shepicide:

:suicide:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Speaking of...is Archsage in the mix? Is it possible to run around as a whirlwind of magic?

I'm not actually sure! If Athos/Archsage are possible, though, I'd assume they'd be levelled down to match the place where they show up. And of course, the stats would also be random.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The paladin will have 4 mov.

Please don't even joke about that :gonk:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Don't forget the Mages. Lots and lots and lots of Mages!

That part, I'd actually be okay with! Mages are good. Especially if they all have 8 move...

FoolyCharged posted:

Given vik has infinite use handaxes I dont see how lots of axe dudes is a bad thing.

Well the thing isn't so much "axe users" as "axe users with awful con". When a unit has negative effective speed, it's really hard to train them!

quote:

Also, that's totally Jagen on the next gate :(

It is a jerk who stole his armour, you cannot convince me otherwise. :mad:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

my freakin' ears

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

my freakin' ears

I like the obstacle design and there's some really good signposting here but man it seems way too long for how challenging and visually samey it is.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, hey, Jazz Jackrabbit music :catdrugs:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I prefer the Tubelectric mix from Jazz 2.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

I like the obstacle design and there's some really good signposting here but man it seems way too long for how challenging and visually samey it is.

Counterpoint, there were far too many bits where coins were placed right where a crusher would kill you and such.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

12: A Giant Walks Among You

:siren: This is the end of Ninian Mode! So I'd like some input after you've read the update. Feel free to drop any feedback and comments in the thread, and/or fill out this poll. :siren:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

A few more mushrooms would probably have been helpful during the fast smashers to help against the spinys.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

vilkacis posted:

:siren: This is the end of Ninian Mode! So I'd like some input after you've read the update. Feel free to drop any feedback and comments in the thread, and/or fill out this poll. :siren:

Florina owns

Also this is a delight, please keep it up!

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Florina is getting HUGE. 11 con!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vilkacis posted:

This has been fun to read and it is a good source of more Fire Emblem content until Three Houses is finally released.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm trying to think through what fun pairings you can do with these randomised characters now

Ninian/Karel, Ninian/Guy, Ninian/Matthew, Ninian/Priscilla

Florina/Lucius

Priscilla/Guy (hey that's a normal one!)

Rebecca/Matthew

If you continue, when you get the Fiora replacement you have to pair them with Jaffar. I love that chain, and seeing Jaffar in it will be incredible.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

For what it's worth I picked up the randomizer the night before, and I've been having a blast (Jaffar replaced Serra, for one). Please keep it up, Vilkacis!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm not familiar with Fire Emblem; can you start afresh straight at one of the other stories? If so I'd vote for doing a new randomizer seed for each story. Otherwise, sure, this is pretty entertaining, :justpost:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I can't believe Florina got so big.

Either way, I think a big part of why people read Fire Emblem LPs is for the randomness and seeing who pops out godlike or crap useless in the end and this is definitely scratching that itch and then some with the extra randomization. I'd love to see more.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 27, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I appreciate the support :3:

Also:

Ouch, that felt rough. It's just so incredibly lethal, with every bit of level covered in pits or crushers.

Gluten Freeman posted:

If you continue, when you get the Fiora replacement you have to pair them with Jaffar.

Man. I'd like to, but... Jaffar is so Jaffar.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not familiar with Fire Emblem; can you start afresh straight at one of the other stories? If so I'd vote for doing a new randomizer seed for each story.

It's possible, and I can see the appeal, but there's still a lot left of this seed to see and I don't want to throw out the continuity we have.

Holy shit!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I would definitely recommend against hector hard. The game seems to replace enemy fliers with other fliers and the hector mode pegasi hector normally curbstomps have an alarming tendency to turn into monster wyvern riders everywhere that an early team can't handle.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FPzero posted:

my freakin' ears

That level looked far too punishing for my taste. I'm not a fan of Lakitu in general, so that didn't help in the first place but still. Too many spinies with crushers is...kind of insane, especially with the randomness Lakitu brings in. Not a fan. Also, it is both too blue and not blue enough at the same time, somehow.

vilkacis posted:

I've voted but I feel this is worth posting: please don't stop, this is incredibly amusing. Your commentary is spot-on and the character replacements are very funny, plus the changes in classes and stats, not to mention how bizarre the later get in both characters and weaponry, make this a very different LP than your average FE7 one. You may think there's little more to show, but I disagree, the sheer surprise factor every chapter and how you deal with what you get does not get old.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm not a huge FE guy but I know enough about this game to enjoy seeing it borked up. Also we all want to see that thicc Florina in action.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Blaze Dragon posted:

I've voted but I feel this is worth posting: please don't stop, this is incredibly amusing. Your commentary is spot-on and the character replacements are very funny, plus the changes in classes and stats, not to mention how bizarre the later get in both characters and weaponry, make this a very different LP than your average FE7 one. You may think there's little more to show, but I disagree, the sheer surprise factor every chapter and how you deal with what you get does not get old.

I agree with this post, please continue with the seed so I can keep watching things get weird.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
So, after reading your run on that FE hack I thought "why not give it a go?". My first try I did a dumb and randomised health too, ending up with an 8 HP Lord who had the best match-up of the first boss having a 100% hit, 10 damage weapon. And I thought Florina would make a great lord. Just goes to show.

My second run is better and a lot more funny. Hector is my Lyn. The funny part? Lyn is my flirty-boi and hearing Hector telling her off for being a terrible flirt is hilarious. I also got a Jaffar healer... with no heal staff (only light and unlock) so I got that going for me. And my fourth is Gietz. At least the gang are beefy but I just started chapter 3 with a load of magicians and very very low Res, so I'm probably going to be dead very shortly.

Edit: I also ask that you keep going. It's very, very entertaining and I've always enjoyed your style of LP.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 27, 2019

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks again for all the support! I ran separate polls on tumblr and SA because I was curious to see if tastes would differ. Putting the numbers together...

Votes: SA + Tu
Hector mode: 44 + 31 = 75
Eliwood mode: 30 + 11 = 41
Normal: 40 + 13 = 53
Hard: 25 + 19 = 44
Stop: 5 + 0 ...

Eliwood had more support here, but over all both audiences want Hector mode. Tumblr was more in favour of hard mode, but SA favoured normal, and there's just more people here. Anyway, I think the point is made. Hector normal it is!

FoolyCharged posted:

I would definitely recommend against hector hard. The game seems to replace enemy fliers with other fliers and the hector mode pegasi hector normally curbstomps have an alarming tendency to turn into monster wyvern riders everywhere that an early team can't handle.

Oh, it's far from just the flying enemies who can turn out to be wyverns... :shepicide:

silversatyr posted:

So, after reading your run on that FE hack I thought "why not give it a go?".

Post some pictures!

Edit: Oh, another question I should maybe ask. Should I continue in a separate thread? Because I feel like I'm posting kind of a lot here compared to everyone else and I don't want to hijack the entire thread please don't check the top posters :v:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 27, 2019

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
No, keep going here, unless you want to do an FELP megathread.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I vote for keeping it here. It's a romhack in a romhack megathread!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You can keep it here if you want, but if you're worried about how much you're posting you could slow your updates to every other day or so. I've been spacing out my content to make sure I'm not overshadowing other LPs and they have a chance of being seen (and also because I need to record more vldc but who's counting).

edit: You could also treat this thread as a "sampler" for what to expect if you want to make your own. You gave the thread a taste of an FE randomizer, now if they want to see the rest they can see it in a new thread.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

All right, this thread it is! I probably will slow down a bit once levels start getting bigger and tougher and less "and then we killed like 6 brigands, look at Dorcas, he is a silly man".

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Speaking of Fire Emblem...

:hmmyes:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"My glasses. I can't see with my glasses."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
This thread inspired me to do a randomized LP of Final Fantasy Legend II, a task made somewhat more challenging by the fact that no FFL2 randomizers appear to be available.

So I downloaded Visual Studio and decided to try to kludge one together myself using what I can remember from programming courses I haven't used in 10+ years.

:shepicide: I have no idea what I'm doing

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

All this randomizer talk just made me remember that FFX shuffled sphere grid idea I've been turning around in my head for like a year. It's technically not a romhack since it's actually just a modification to the (near) initial save file but is it close enough to count for this thread?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Let's Hack FFL2, the prequel to Let's Play FFL2 Randomized.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Allo allo! It's time for more Dawn of Sorrow.... goodness? I'll go with goodness.

Straight White Shark posted:

This thread inspired me to do a randomized LP of Final Fantasy Legend II, a task made somewhat more challenging by the fact that no FFL2 randomizers appear to be available.

So I downloaded Visual Studio and decided to try to kludge one together myself using what I can remember from programming courses I haven't used in 10+ years.

:shepicide: I have no idea what I'm doing

It's FFL2. Does anybody? Did the creators? (Spoilers: Not really)

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Color Printer posted:

All this randomizer talk just made me remember that FFX shuffled sphere grid idea I've been turning around in my head for like a year. It's technically not a romhack since it's actually just a modification to the (near) initial save file but is it close enough to count for this thread?

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ryushikaze posted:

Allo allo! It's time for more Dawn of Sorrow.... goodness? I'll go with goodness.

It's FFL2. Does anybody? Did the creators? (Spoilers: Not really)

The sound is working, but I'm only seeing black. Anyone else having this issue?