Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

We are about 8 episodes away from the series finale and there wasn't a thread for this show yet. :argh:

Since more people need to know about this wonderful, charming and often hilarious show I am keeping the OP spoilerfree. Since season 5 is airing currently the thread likely won't be.

A random comment I found sums up the charm and fun pretty well:
To everyone who is put off by the name, I am definitely not in the show’s primary demographic but find it hilarious. It is a parody (send up is probably a better term) of Spanish telanovelas. Characters have secret family members, dark secrets, people are hooking up that definitely shouldn’t be, there’s murders, people coming back from the dead, evil crime lords, you know, the usual. Gina Rodriguez is great, but the real star is Rogelio.

The setting:

wikipedia posted:

Jane the Virgin is an American romantic dramedy and satirical telenovela. The series premiered on October 13, 2014 on The CW. It is a loose adaptation of the Venezuelan telenovela Juana la Virgen. The program (affectionately) parodies commonly used tropes and devices in Latin telenovelas.

Set in Miami, the series details the surprising and dramatic events that take place in the life of Jane Gloriana Villanueva, a hard-working, religious, young, Venezuelan-American woman. Jane's vow to save her virginity until marriage becomes complicated when a doctor mistakenly artificially inseminates her during a checkup. To make matters worse, the biological father is a married man, a former playboy, and a cancer survivor who is not only the new owner of the hotel where Jane works, but was also her former teenage crush. In addition to adjusting to pregnancy and then motherhood, in the initial episodes Jane is faced with questions about her professional future and the daunting prospect of choosing between the father of her baby or her detective boyfriend. As the series evolves, the issues shift as her child grows into a toddler, her writing career moves forward, and her family members likewise develop independent plotlines.

The Cast:

Jane Gloriana Villanueva

A devoted Catholic who made a vow to her grandmother, Alba, to not give up her virginity until marriage. Years later she finds herself in a committed relationship with a detective, Michael Cordero, and the two plan to get married. However, Jane finds herself accidentally artificially inseminated with the sperm of a man who she once shared a passionate kiss with a few summers prior.

Michael Cordero

Jane's fiance at the start of the show. Initially reluctant to have a baby, he blackmails Petra with knowledge of her affair, in the hopes that Jane will not keep the baby if Petra's marriage to Rafael remains intact. He later changes his mind and agrees to be part of the baby's upbringing. Also involved with a high profile crime lord investigation.

Rafael Solano

Former playboy and owner of the Marbella hotel. After a few good years of marriage to Petra, a miscarriage and cancer take a toll, and the couple begins to fall apart. With Rafael plotting to leave her, Petra decides to artificially inseminate herself with his sperm sample, only for his sister, Luisa, to accidentally inseminate the wrong woman. This woman happens to be Jane Villanueva, a girl with whom he shared a passionate kiss with years before and never called back.

Petra Solano

Originally from the Czech Republic, running away and taking on a new identity in order to hide from her abusive boyfriend, Milos. Petra becomes engaged to Lachlan Moore before leaving him for Rafael Solano, a man with slightly more money, but ultimately falling in love with him. The two get married and become pregnant, but they eventually lose the baby and Rafael becomes diagnosed with cancer. Their marriage falls apart after this.

Xiomara Gloriana Villanueva

Jane's laid back mother, and Alba's daughter. Unlike her mother and daughter, Xiomara is accustomed to looser morals, losing her virginity at a young age and having Jane at 17. She and Jane's father, Rogelio De La Vega, were high school sweethearts until he moved away and she chose to not tell him about the pregnancy.

Alba Gloriana Villanueva

Deeply religious mother of Xiomara's and grandmother of Jane. Emigrating from Venezuela at a young age, she and her husband Mateo established lives for themselves and the generations to come. When Jane is ten years old, Alba makes her vow to save herself until marriage, a vow that Jane keeps. Alba often acts as the voice of reason in the sometimes chaotic Villanueva household.

The Rogelio:

He would be insulted not having his own header.

Jane's long lost father, drama queen and allround hilarious character. Rogelio is a kind, generous, passionate and dramatic man, but also very self involved. He became a telenovela star in 2013, playing the lead in The Passions of Santos. After Xiomara told him that he has a daughter, he met Jane and slowly became a part of the Villanueva family.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is anyone on Team Raph?

I have difficulty believing anyone's on Team Raph. Where I'm from it's either Team Michael or Team Petra.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Team Michael all the way. Petra is acceptable.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If you list all the shows I watch arranged by (Quality of show/Appeal of title), this would be forever on top due to the number approaching near infinity. Maybe the thread title should say something telling people not to get fooled by the hokey title and to watch it if you want something tonally similar to Crazy Ex Girlfriend, because I'm sad barely anybody seems to be watching it. When the season began, I actually asked in the CXG thread if anyone was watching it (since one used to lead into the other) but it didn't seem like it.

Spoilered for the benefit of anyone who's being introduced to the show by this thread: I'm still team Michael forever even though narratively it makes sense to put her with Raf now. Very happy that Jane and Petra are actual friends now instead of snippy frenemies. Also pretty pleased with myself for figuring out that Mateo had a disorder, mainly because he's been acting just like my friend's kid; I guess that's a credit to the writers.

I'm also wondering if maybe they're gonna go with some kind of ending where Jane moves on instead of ending up with either of the main two.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Argue posted:

If you list all the shows I watch arranged by (Quality of show/Appeal of title), this would be forever on top due to the number approaching near infinity. Maybe the thread title should say something telling people not to get fooled by the hokey title and to watch it if you want something tonally similar to Crazy Ex Girlfriend, because I'm sad barely anybody seems to be watching it. When the season began, I actually asked in the CXG thread if anyone was watching it (since one used to lead into the other) but it didn't seem like it.
I had a name in mind but I tried to use strikethrough letters for the "The Virgin" Parts and the title exploded into weird letters, so a Mod fixed it. If you all have a good one to "hook" people feel free to put in a request.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've always thought it's been very consistent for a comedy-drama throughout the entire run, I can't think of a single episode I watched and thought it was disappointing (or worse), which is something I can't really say about most shows I watch. Crazy Ex Girlfriend was probably up there until the last season.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I learned of some (likely) finale leaks and it sounds wild.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I was hoping for a full blown musical ep but a song and dance number at the end of any TV show is always welcome. And even with only a single musical number this was still better than the Flash/Supergirl musical ep :v:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I knew when I saw Jane wearing yellow and that tree they were getting back together, glad it didn't drag on until the finale, but I guess we can't expect the Team Petra curveball anymore.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Well that seems to lock in the endgame yeah, Raf is a decent dude now so fine.

No Petra ending :argh: .

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Started watching this yesterday. Not gonna stick around in the thread so I don't get spoiled, but I was hooked by the end of ep 2.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think Petra is my favorite character. Just cooly and calmly making the worst decisions every time, and I can't stop watching.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I like how Rafael and Michael hate each other but they always, always, always keep making secret plans together.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Petra's my favorite and I'm glad she and Jane are good friends now after years of passive aggressive sniping :3:

How far in are you?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm almost finished with season 2.

Wha, Petra has a twin sister? Does anything go right in her life?

Is it okay that I prefer Good Boy Michael over Spicy Good Boy Rafael?

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 23, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Finished season 2.

Noooo! Good Boy Michael!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Not sure how I feel about the time skip, but the pirate mascot has become my favorite bit character.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Spoilered for the benefit of the guy still catching up:

I hope Michael is in the finale; they may not be in love anymore but he's as much a part of the family of both the IRL cast and in-show characters as anyone else on the show. Surprised they dealt with Rose an episode early; I assumed next week would be a two parter because it mixed drama in with Rose running around and mucking about. Cute though, killing her the same way she killed the guy in the pilot.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Next week is the episode and an episode interviewing the cast. Not sure where they're planning to go with all the plot lines wrapped up. Nice mirroring with Rose killing someone with an ice sculpture, and her being killed by a sculpture that's then set on fire.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Hahaha, the reveal of who the narrator is was great.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Bit of a rocky season, but I loved this show so much. :3:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm so happy for Rogelio

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I took a break after the midpoint of season 3 (rip Perfect Cinnamon Bun), and ready to press on.

I appreciate how Jane and Xio never ever stop giving Alba poo poo about the celibacy thing.

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

I'm on Ch. 13 and goddamn if this show isn't wondertful. It takes "over the top" to absurd degrees and mixes it with so much humor and heart and splashes in a bit of magic (it reminds me a bit of Amélie in that regard). I'm going to have to take a break from it in Oct for horror stuff, but I'll get right back to it in Nov.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Keep us posted! It's not like this thread has anything else to talk about!

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

Argue posted:

Keep us posted! It's not like this thread has anything else to talk about!

I saw adds for it on Hulu and they made it look...terrible, like unwatchably bad. I only checked it out becuase of this thread. Needless to say if they manage to keep this quality up it will be impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Almost finished with Season 4.

I can't believe how consistently good this show has been.