Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Welcome to Final Fantasy Five but for charity, the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta. As Kyrosiris puts it in the Games thread:

quote:

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal.

quote:

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

Maybe all this text isn't conveying why I find this event so much fun, fun enough to play this ancient SNES JRPG a dozen times a year, maybe what you want an example. Well that's what this is, I'll show off some runs and my thought processes in overcoming the various challenges under various conditions. And, just maybe, you'll find it in your heart to get mad at a twitter bot for charity too.

I'll be skimming over FF5 really hard and super casual about spoilers, so if you don't know much about the game, play it yourself! Or check out one of the several archived LPs!

RUN #1 - F. DUDE - #NORMAL

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
[Reserved]

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The intro goes automatically so at least this game has that over OoT.

I have to set my settings every time I start a new file. I also take the chance to make every run have a different color scheme. But there's only 256 colors and some of them are ugly so I've probably used this one before.

The reason I start new games is to name Bartz different, wild things.

The F stands for Fiesta.

Lenna joins the party for like five seconds so I swap her knife and Fiesta Dude's broadsword. It'll make sense in a bit. It also means I keep Fiesta Dude with the knife until I get jobs but it'll be fine.

There's a free Phoenix Down to the right. They cost 1,000 gil normally and that's never a trivial amount, even when you start spending 200,000 on shoes.

"geh" is a weird response to getting caught in an earthquake.

These goblins have 1 hp, he could punch them apart.

The forced battles give Fiesta Dude a level, so he's generally ahead of everyone else.

Lemme just gobble these folks up.

This earthquake lasts as long as it needs to, and pits only open up when Boco's about to hop them. We can chill here for weeks and it'll keep shaking.

Lenna has higher speed than the boys, so she goes first and one-shots a bat with the sword.

The one-two of knife and Galuf's fists takes out another. If I hadn't swapped weapons, I couldn't just hold A and fight efficiently.

Efficiency is important when you do this so many times.

Sword-haver can OHKO a crab, too. Galuf can't even touch it.

Oh god stroper no stroping

Wait right this is FF5, Stropers can't do much to me. You may notice I'm not running from anything. This way it keeps choosing between the Brave Blade and Chicken Knife open, because while I can always start running, I can never un-run. Knight's the only class that can use the Brave Blade so getting anything else in Wind means I can escape any random encounter I want.

Never had an encounter on the same step as the cutscene before. Wild.

I get this hat and then never do anything with it but letting auto-optimize put it on someone. Hard to overstate how little one extra defense matters.

This translation has picked up on how goofy Final Fantasy 5 is and just rolls with it. I've grown fond of it.

Nothing to do in the pirate cave except try to steal a pirate ship.

(it fails but succeeds because princesses)

Nah.

I sail there faster than you do.

Gotta get through this gab for a super-important bonus:

Free healing items!

Tents cost 250 gil so free ones're nice.

Back attacks in FF5 are brutal if you get the wrong enemies. The worst things that happen to you don't care about row and a free round means they can bury you.

Black Goblins aren't one of those.

The wind shrine save point is usually my first save. I save over the oldest run, in sequence. Dunno why I care, it's not like I usually revisit them.

This wall lets you skip nearly the entire 3rd floor.

I give Galuf this sword and now everyone has a weapon.

Wingraptor has very stiff, unresponsive wings.

Daring Wingraptor battle plan: hold A.

No, really, you'll kill it before it can curl up.

There's a staff in the wind shrine, by the way.

The heroes are charged with protecting the crystals, and we get jobs from the fragments of the crystals.

We're not going to protect the crystals very well.

So, you may be asking how I'm doing a feista run before the fiesta even started. It's simple, really. You can simulate your own with friggin dice rolls, and enthusiasts have created programs that do it for you.

For this, I used the discord bot Carbybot, owned by our own Kyrosiris. It's as simple as .normal to get a sample set, using the most basic rules: one job from each batch of jobs, only from that batch.

So of the first six jobs here, Knight, Monk, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage, and Blue Mage, I get one at random and must put everyone in that job.

My first job is Monk, now everyone can be only Monks. Until I get the second wad of jobs, I'm stuck with just Monks.

Not a bad deal.

Now that everyone's a Monk, we can see how Monks do. They're very very polarized, no agility difference, but the highest strength and stamina (and thus HP) in the entire game, and the worst magic. Galuf hits a meager 1 magic even.

Monk, as a job, has an incredibly strong early game on their fists of fury, but when the levels slow down and enemies scale up they start to lose their shine really hard, and can't really recover without another job's help. Their lack of weapons means they can't use any that cast spells or have elemental properties, but thanks to their special Barehanded passive, they outdo most weapons until the endgame anyway. If nothing else, I can get to my other jobs easily and will always have basic physical dps covered.

In terms of what Monk offers other classes, Barehanded lets anyone have fists of fury and the monk's huge strength, !focus helps any physical damage job when it's useful, and their lategame HP+30% is pretty nice filler if you don't have anything better. These are all situational, though, and don't really expand a job, instead refining it. Monks don't give nearly as well as they receive.

Tabbing through the party like this also lets us see each character's individual stat differenes. They aren't very important in the long term except agility. By default the turn order is Faris > Lenna > Fiesta Dude > Galuf. This is important for MP-hungry classes as Faris will spend her's first and Galuf rarely gets a chance to. Once we get other jobs with other agility values and agility-modifying equipment that of course goes out the window.

Fiesta Dude tends to get physical multipliers faster and Lenna gets magic, and she has the highest MP of the team which can eke out one more cast of a spell you're using to grind, sometimes. But those aren't as immediate as the speed differences.

Now we go to town!

You may have known about this free tent...

But did you know about this other free phoenix down!?

Or the free water wheel shoes!?!?

Anyway we ambush an old man and steal his key.

I lie about being a rookie, I just want the free poo poo. I'm nasty.

Early shopping to gear up would be necessary, but Monks trust only their fists, so I just buy potions.

Now lets get Galuf laid.

Well, at least they seem like they're having fun.

Leveling up your piano skills doesn't matter if you don't get Bard, and even then it doesn't until world 3 and you can do a world keyboard tour then, but why not hit them along the way?

I go through the pirate cave again to get thier loot. They aren't very impressive pirates. The random encounters are some easy ABP. Getting your first job's key abilities can really smooth a run out, and for Monks that's easily Barehanded.

Monk damage is based almost entirely on level. Besides level's part in the multiplier, they get more Attack with each level. Besides actually gaining exp, two jobs can modify levels in battle. They're both busted-rear end busters in general, so it'd just be the cherry on top to get them.

Monks also use both hands to punch, each checking evasion independently. It does mean they can't use shields very well.

The suckers and octopi only attack the ladies because [editor's note: find explanation that isn't cringe-inducing] so putting them in the back row cuts the damage you take in the canal.

Fiesta Dude and gang hit their first ability, !Focus seems pointless, taking twice as long to deal twice normal damage, but it comes in handy in places.

Karl Boss is not very troublesome to most groups if you heal someone when they get below 40 HP. Monks can just absorb a ton of damage with their sky-high HP and pummel away its 650 HP. Just toss a potion if you need it, it'll outpace his physicals and paralysis-inflicting Feeler. Tail Screw sets HP to a single digit but it's never lethal, so don't panic.

Now we're in this place. Some groups have to grind on skeletons to get daggers because Tule doesn't sell them and you have exactly the one Faris starts with.

Monks do not. They punch.

I could start running at my leisure now, since I can't have Knight. I don't realize that until... now, making this update, because I'm used to wackier modes

Hey, it's free, and it sells for 390 gil.

This is my 7th free tent, by the way.

Pirate crate in the ship graveyard has a pretty hefty bounty and the critical path takes you right next to it.

(Faris is a woman but was hiding it because pirate reasons, I already spoiled this twice)

You can avoid the world map, and it takes quite a journey to make sure you can't lose it. But then I get lost in the loving ocean like a dumbass and curse missing it.

wow, way to be rude, is this the ship graveyard or the gender politics graveyard

Siren opens with Haste, which for a low-damage group would be really dangerous. She'd turn undead faster and when she's dropping Venomous Clasps is when you start getting killed.

Fists have a chance to score critical hits, which deal double damage and ignore defense.

With that kind of pummeling, she didn't stand a chance.

Next time, we deal with the elephant in the room and get our second job.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 1, 2019

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

poo poo yes. Can't wait to see how you handle some of the more ridiculous runs.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But did you know about this other free phoenix down!?

gently caress

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I had to learn about that spot for Career Day (I had to learn about a lot of spots for career day). Good to know it's a phoenix down normally.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Yesss ground floor. Four Job Fiesta season is always a good time of year.

Monk is pretty good as a starting job at least; certainly not the best, but at least you didn't end up with thief.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Well if I'm gonna get name-dropped in the first update twice, I guess I should follow along. :shobon:

This'll be fun, to see the inner thought process and stuff.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
OFSheep replayign Final Fantasy V? Oh hell yes.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Kyrosiris posted:

This'll be fun, to see the inner thought process and stuff.

I mean, OFS is just coming off Reborn. I'd imagine his inner thoughts right now are lots of crying and raging

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

gently caress

prepare to get your mind blown when we get back to Tycoon and how many stupid pots have poo poo in them but you'd never care about unless you're doing a randomizer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's the most wonderful time of the year~

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also I'm sorry you rolled Monk.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
This is making me feel like I should play a randomizer at some point.

Also: Love the OP image

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Depending on his other jobs, Monk can be helpful not dead weight a phenomenal potion bot.

Best case scenario on a #normal run is getting something like Time Mage or Bard, who don't really need stats/equipment to do good things. Alternately a chemist to make punching not suck in late game, but at that point you already have a chemist and the game is over because you have a chemist.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 1, 2019

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
This is great and I will be following along.

Dumbo question though:

quote:

I could start running at my leisure now, since I can't have Knight.

How is running away from fights related to the Knight?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ritznit posted:

This is great and I will be following along.

Dumbo question though:

Late in the game, you're given a choice of two weapons, the Brave Blade and the Chicken Knife. The Brave Blade is a 150 Attack Power Knight Sword that loses 1 Attack Power every time you run away; this is counted over the course of the entire game from the moment you start. And since it's a Knight Sword, it can only be used by Knights, Freelancers, Gladiators, or anyone with the ability Equip Swords (which is learned from the Knight Job).

The Chicken Knife, on the other hand, is a 0 Attack Power Knife that gains 1 Attack Power for every two fights you run away from, capping out at 127 Attack Power (meaning you need to run away 254 times to power it up fully). Since it's a Knife, it can be used by any job in the game except Monks and White Mages. And on top of that, it calculates its damage Multiplier using the character's Strength AND their Agility, unlike all the other knives in the game which are coded to only give a partial bonus to your Multiplier from Agility, which makes it capable of putting out some insanely high damage in the late game. It has a drawback of casting !Flee (which makes your whole team automatically run away from a battle, and wastes that character's turn if it's a fight you can't run away from, like a boss) 25% of the time when you try to Attack with it, but there are numerous ways to get around that depending on the jobs you get.

So in general, most people try to avoid running away until they reach the Wind Shrine and pick up their first job to see whether or not they get assigned Knight; if they do, then they have the option of going for either the Brave Blade or the Chicken Knife. Most people, however, just tend to take the Chicken Knife anyway since some encounter formations can be extremely annoying to deal with depending on your job composition, and it's easier and faster to just run away. Which means going for the Brave Blade and attempting to keep it at full power can make the game a bit more challenging than a normal run.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Ritznit posted:

Knights are the only class that can use the Brave Blade, a sword that starts at 150 attack power that goes down every time you run from battle. It's mutually exclusive with the Chicken Knife, a knife start starts at a low attack power but goes up every time you run, maxing out at 127. Most parties want the Chicken Knife (since every class can use knives and it means you can run from battles) but if you roll Knight you might as well take advantage.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Ritznit posted:

I'm guessing this relates to the Brave Sword and Chicken Knife, two weapons you can get later in the game. The Chicken Knife gets stronger every time you run away, while the Brave Sword starts strong and gets weaker when you run.

Knights are one of the few classes that can use all swords (a few classes can use swords but can't use them all), so the Brave Sword would be more useful for them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Refer to this simple, helpful diagram I made.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Or use your brain and realize that there's a lot of great Knightswords but very few weapons that are universal AND powerful like the Chicken Knife and tell the Brave Blade to blow it out its rear end.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Exactly. There's more than one encounter that's more trouble than it's worth

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Chicken Knife Good, Brave Blade Situational, I am not paid enough to never run. Take the fear, unless you aren't using weapons in which case get the Brave Blade to sell it for shoe money, or if you have both Blue Mage and Knight because of Nonsense.

I'd say I'm sorry for the monk pull but from experience monks don't get super awful until after you'll have your other jobs (and hey, they provide HP to white mages). Thief and White Mage starts are both more painful, although they have better utility down the line.

Maybe you'll end up with the dread MNK/RED/GEO/DAN team and I'll eat my words, though. :v:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
You say Chicken Knife, I say "wise enough to recognize the situation is untenable and I should GTFO".

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Just want to say I agree that the GBA translation for this game is great. It makes the characters and story so much more fun.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Every year I learn about new item spots I missed before. This update didn't have any, but I sure can't wait to see what it is this year. :v:

W.T. Fits posted:

Since it's a Knife, it can be used by any job in the game except Monks and White Mages.

Oracle can't use Knives either, which is even less relevant for most runs but still.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I can't imagine doing Moore Forest without running.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I can't imagine doing Moore Forest without running.

It's not that bad if you have a Black Mage, but if you do in the Fiesta you probably don't have Knight.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Every year I learn about new item spots I missed before. This update didn't have any, but I sure can't wait to see what it is this year. :v:

Oracle can't use Knives either, which is even less relevant for most runs but still.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they could or not, I'm not as familiar with the bonus jobs from Advance as I am with the rest of them.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
My first-ever Fiesta was a BB run (Knight, Zerk, Geo, Samurai) since I had no way to get around the CK run proc. Plus it was my first time playing FFV so I wanted to kill everything. The 14 runs since have all been CK and triple crowns, except quad-Zerk which was just NED/Shin. If I ever do another BB run I'm definitely renaming Bartz to ChadBB.

Looking forward to OFS's take on normal Fiesta'ing and also showing off random poo poo like the secret wall in Wind Shrine L3.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
In the OP of the Fiesta Thread for the past year or two:

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I've always known about the staff but somehow missed the warp at the top of the wind shrine.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Man, I'm kinda tempted to do one of these this year.

Definitely gonna stick around for this one, at least.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mega64 posted:

Monk is really great up until Moore, but then it falls off a cliff haaaaaard. But at that point you hopefully have other jobs/abilities to carry the lategame.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Funktastic posted:

I've always known about the staff but somehow missed the warp at the top of the wind shrine.

...The one that Lenna specifically points out?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Ablative posted:

...The one that Lenna specifically points out?

i read the lp once and haven't actually read any cutscenes while playing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Going to this town is completely optional.

But, do you blame me for wanting to get status restoratives?

I rarely use these besides the antidotes and eyedrops. Hell, I think last year I got hit with Mini once in twelve runs.

Second Piano is here.

And through a secret passage is a free 1,000 gil.

More important is the free Frost Rod.

Some enemies in FF5 get really weird. Headstones, for example, try to cast Flash but have no MP innately. They can't eavde songs, are immune to every element but lightning and holy, and have the weird and obscure Silver Glasses as a common steal.

FF5's mountain theme is a loving jam.

And then Lenna gets poisoned.

Magissa only hollers for her husband, Forza Motorsports, after she has lost 350 of her 650 HP. This is a use for Focus, as it lets the team pummel her apart before she can try.

Well, if she didn't Drain all of Lenna's HP in a single sip.

Fiesta Dude gets a critical hit to make up for it, and Galuf finishes the fight.

Magissa drops the Whip while Forza Motorsports could only afford a simple drink that doesn't even loving work.

It also means I can never complete the bestiary but oh well.

And then Lenna would get poisoned, but she's still laid out and being deceased overrides a lot of other statues.

The poisoning that might be is removed by dragon kisses.

She's still dearly departed.

I'm crazy, so I fly straight to Tycoon no matter my job at this point.

"You're the SALSA to my chips, get it, sis?"

Tycoon has a lot of hidden restoratives, and they're better than what you normally find doing this.

The storehouse has the real loot, the Healing Staff and other weapons for jobs we don't have. If I get the jobs, hey I already got the gear. If I don't, oh well it's free money!

Walse.

While I normally ignore these two early equipment stores since they last for one dungeon each, I gotta get something for Garula coming up with Monks. Heavy armor classes can get a full set of Iron to negate Garula's physical damage entirely

I loot Walse Basement for this beauty, which has a 1/3 chance of negating a physical attack, and it increases agility by 1 for fudging turn order.

I'd be nearly certain to die to a Jacknapes but the GBA version has a quicksave feature that creates a temporary save anywhere that's deleted upon loading, for quick breaks. It also resets the encounter timer so I can just not have random encounters if I'm willing to put up with it.

Why do these places put their crystals in remote temples far away from the seats of government?

The climb up the tower is uneventful for Monks, due to trusting only their fists, but what isn't is the boss. My monks are still level 8. That'd be bad normally but with how level-dependent Monks are, it's extra ill-advised.

Focus hits are dealing all of 70 per fist, under 150 a round.

When at 800 or less of 1200 HP, Garula counters every instance of damage with a regular attack and then a 1/3 of of another regular attack, seizure-inflicting Rush, or nothing.

This is exceptionally bad for Monks as, due to having two hands, they punch twice, which results in two sets of counters.

Three of my Monks are in the back row to mitigate damage, taking Garula's 9 multiplier to 4. I could rely on Counter entirely for damage but I don't wanna because I'm dumb. Three of them use Potions while Fiesta Dude punches twice when he has the rare moment he can actaully hurt an elephant without the counterattacks putting me deep in the action economy hole.

Eventually, the elephant topples.

The crystal explodes anyway because Fiesta Dude is really bad at saving them.

My second job is... well it says Red Mage there now doesn't it. Red Mage, statistically, is slightly higher than base in strength, magic, and agility, but worse in stamina, resulting in low HP.

The main feature of Red Mages is that they get some Black and White magic. Elemental magical damage, healing, and status spells are all welcome additions when the Monk does none of those. And they get Swords, Knives, Staves, and Rods, giving me access to a lot fun toys. Like that Frost Rod.

I gotta get one person in my new job, so I pick Lenna because she has the highest magic, and give her Barehanded which not only grants her fists the Monk's level-scaling attack, but also the Monk's insane strength. Barehanded is unusual among non-magic skills that give stats by being such a low-level ability.

With two jobs, one person must be in Monk, and one person must be in Red Mage, and the other two are whichever. Since I have no equipment for more than one and no magic, I just stick with 3 monks.

why is this text box so weird, why does it seem so weird to me

Dog, meet boot. Forests around Karnak have a 100% chance of five Wild Nakk encounters. They have a measly 95 HP, don't hit very hard, spend a chunk of their turns casting the blue magic ???? (actual name) that deals damage based on missing HP, and give 125 gil each. 87 EXP to a full party, and 1 abp. My desire to get to Karnak is because I just want to massacre these things.

!Kick is a bizarre ability, as it's the only one that isn't obtained by levels among any job.

The Healing Staff does nothing - it's damage formula is literally "does nothing" - but it has a 100% chance to cast Cura on whoever is "hit". Besides being free healing, as it does count as a physical attack - despite doing nothing - so it can cure confusion and cancel singing. I like this stick.

Whatever you attempt to buy at a discount is added to your inventory. A Fire Rod is my first purchase because Nakks are weak to fire. Elemental rods boost damage by their element by 50%, so it lets multitarget Fire wipe an encounter for 4 MP. Lenna has 48 already.

Oh no a warwelf, let's red at him!

I buy every Black and White spell I can. Karnak has 16 of the 18 spells Red Mages can even use.

Black gets elemental damage spells and a few statuses. White gets a few more statuses, healing, revival, and Protect. The damage spells are 50 attack, which is good for a while at least.

The weakness is that Red Mages don't go past level 3, so their damage falls off, their healing drops too, and they miss a lot of utility spells.

I run out of cash really hard but that's ok.

Now I can eliminate dogs efficiently.

I get to level 13 and bought spare rods for a while. I can go to the fire ship.

This Mythril Glove makes me feel like a rube every time I have a class that can use 'em because I buy 'em.

Since I don't have Knight and finally noticed that, I flee with wild abandon.

I can take out mobs with rod-boosted spells, at least.

Single Defeators call in a second wave of mooks when killed. I don't like it.

I probably won't use most of this loot, but free money etc.

Now this I can get in to. More elixirs for the pile!

Why does the bad guy use the word "infidels" here, anyway?

Liquid Flame pours out AoEs like the devs assume you keep Cura around at all times.

It doesn't seem like much, but compare a Potion at 50 for a single person. Hell, it's healing for the whole gang at once! Cura does a lot to mitigate some of the game's scary attacks until it just can't keep up... at the final boss.

Rods, when broken, cast the ~aga of their repsective element, and it is overwhelming to world 1 bosses, especially since most of them are weak to one of black magic's elements or another. Liquid Flame has 3,000 HP for example.

Fiesta Dude hits with Blizzara for 782, which is still really slashing its HP apart. One of Liquid Flame's forms is immune to ice, but he never... handed it out.

Then Galuf punches fire for charity.

Any rod-haver makes Liquid Flame a loving joke.

Then the crystal shatters because Fiesta Dude is really bad at his job.

Oh uh rip werewolf, he got fatally redded.

How do you know this?

I said, how do you know this?

Now it's time for everyone's favorite event, the Karnak 500! While we gotta bail out of Karnak Castle before it explodes, all the little fires preventing us from stealing loot are gone! How much can we snag and still be able to escape!?

Turns out, with this party, everything.

But since the Karnak 500 is kind of intense...

Watch it happen! Commentary as English subtitles!

I think that's everything - maybe I missed like one chest, but I got the Main Gauche and Elven Mantle, the big hauls as they are called, and the other unique treasures.

Two crystals fly off to the distance. We get get Ninja, Geomancer, and Beastmaster.

But my Fire job is Bard, so I don't get it yet!

Things point us towards the Library of the Ancients to the south, and to delving its basement, but they're all optional.

Oh god, thank goodness it used a physical attack. My team is flat level 15 and Page 64s know

Level 5 Death, which

Kills anyone whose level is a multiple of 5. 15 is a multiple of 5.

welp

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 4, 2019

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Fiesta Dude hits with Blizzara for 782, which is still really slashing its HP apart. One of Liquid Flame's forms is immune to ice, but he never... handed it out.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Using a tent when you had 10 minutes precisely to flee the exploding castle was.

Something.

edit: as a visual of "we have to get out of here RIGHT NOW but first let us take a nap"

LiefKatano fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

Using a tent when you had 10 minutes precisely to flee the exploding castle was.

Something.

I wonder if its quicker to tent or to go back to the healing pot.