Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I wonder if its quicker to tent or to go back to the healing pot.

I don't think the time difference really matters. In my experience, either you've got more than enough time to get what you want, or you can't afford to fight more than one or two battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I got out of Karnak with 7 seconds with mono-white mages.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

!Kick is a bizarre ability, as it's the only one that isn't obtained by levels among any job.
This is because !Kick uses the barehanded damage formula, so it's literally useless for any job except for Freelancer and Mime :eng101:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I got out of Karnak with 7 seconds with mono-white mages.

I had a similar experience with mono-Time Mage and mono-Bard. :barf:

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

That is some incredible "luck" getting Red Mage AND Monk.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

XainZero posted:

The probability is 1/30, which is a little over 3%.

Can Of Worms posted:

This is because !Kick uses the barehanded damage formula, so it's literally useless for any job except for Freelancer and Mime :eng101:

They really should've just made !Focus the Monk's command. That would've made a lot more sense.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

XainZero posted:

I don't know what you're insinuating because if I were to rig my jobs I'd make my wind job Thief because then I could post about weird steals.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I’m excited you get to show off Bard because no one uses it in a casual run (to the extent that, at least a couple of years ago, the FFWiki was referring to it as one of the worst jobs in the game) even though it’s really, really good. At more than just stunlocking Omega.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

in celebration, here's a cool skull:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

agradine posted:

I’m excited you get to show off Bard because no one uses it in a casual run (to the extent that, at least a couple of years ago, the FFWiki was referring to it as one of the worst jobs in the game) even though it’s really, really good. At more than just stunlocking Omega.

Bard is one of the best classes in the game (post-World 1), even ignoring Omega

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Archenteron posted:

Bard is one of the best classes in the game (post-World 1), even ignoring Omega

It's also great because the Monk can just do Bard stuff instead of being useless later on :yeah:

rooting for Dancer so we can have Monk and the Squishies

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 4, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oh good, you got one of the two jobs that can help Monk's damage output keep up.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

BisbyWorl posted:

Oh good, you got one of the two jobs that can help Monk's damage output keep up.

This is a really important point also. If Sulla’s solo Monk run taught us anything it’s that at high enough level the Monk will still manage to paste everything

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

RE: That Nakk that pre-emptive attacked and just ran away - The Curr Nakk always runs if there is nothing else on the field. This is really useful if you have teams that are terrible at dealing with them in the fights with three wolves and a commander because you can just kill the commander and the wolves bail.

agradine posted:

This is a really important point also. If Sulla’s solo Monk run taught us anything it’s that at high enough level the Monk will still manage to paste everything

Monk with bard backup is a beast when you have the time to sing for it.

quote:

[9:23 AM] Man with Hat: .mcalc 99 99 fists
[9:23 AM] BOTCarbybot: At Level 99, with 99 Strength, your fist M is 40 (with 201 attack power). To reach the next M, you need to reach level 101.

I guess everything is crazy good with bard backup though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Man with Hat posted:

[9:23 AM] BOTCarbybot: At Level 99, with 99 Strength, your fist M is 40 (with 201 attack power). To reach the next M, you need to reach level 101.

For context, since this came up in the Fiesta thread, that's absolutely high enough to give the Kenshiro treatment to Omega, the most tanky optional boss in the main game, who completely and utterly nosells anything that can't punch past its 190 defense.

Unfortunately, being able to get this result means you have bard, which along with a source of lightning (hi Red Mage) means you've literally solved that fight anyway, so :shrug:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My very first fiesta was Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage (I did #random).

That was also when I truly learned how amazing Bard really is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So, you're saving showing off the super hidden items in Tycoon for the next run :v: ?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Man with Hat posted:

RE: That Nakk that pre-emptive attacked and just ran away - The Curr Nakk always runs if there is nothing else on the field. This is really useful if you have teams that are terrible at dealing with them in the fights with three wolves and a commander because you can just kill the commander and the wolves bail.

This also works on the fights where it's two Curr Nakks and a Sorcerer. Kill the Sorcerer, and the Nakks will flee as soon as their turns come up.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Man with Hat posted:

Works the other way around too. Kill the Nakks and the commander runs away. Everyone in Castle Karnak is a coward.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Samuel Clemens posted:

Works the other way around too. Kill the Nakks and the commander runs away. Everyone in Castle Karnak is a coward.

I'll have you know that Sarge valiantly faced down Exdeath and said he better bring it.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

I'll have you know that Sarge valiantly faced down Exdeath and said he better bring it.

I suspect not only that Iron Claw was taking orders straight from Exdeath, but that he was every randomly encountered Sergeant in the castle.

My last playthrough had most encounters that weren't hiding in boxes be the Seargeant + Curr Nakks formation. Gave new meaning to Bartz' "There's something weird about this guy," line

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
No I used !catch on Sargeant and !released him on the final boss, once.

He fled.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

No I used !catch on Sargeant and !released him on the final boss, once.

He fled.

weird that NeoExdeath would run from the cops

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 5, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

weird that NeoExdeath would run from the cops

THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING!

Davyinatoga
May 16, 2013

Archenteron posted:

In the OP of the Fiesta Thread for the past year or two:

This is the stuff that I live for

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Books always give 150 gil, 200 exp, and 1 abp. They're not worth fighting unless you want their blue magic or aren't running for blave blade reasons.

Who put a fire spirit in a book? Did he elect to it?

Ifrit uses Blaze and Fira.

He's weak to ice.

This seems familiar.

If you're here, you've beaten Liquid Flame, so something hitting you with Blaze and Fira is not a new situation. He doesn't have counters so it's like

less hard.

Lenna has never heard this guy's name and has no reason to be look for him but who cares.

Two books!?

Bibbles hit Fiesta Dude for that much and he's in the back row. He's got a super-mean Wind Slash, can inflict Slow, and counters physicals with Protect and magic spells with Toad and when he's low on HP he just brutalizes you with Drain. Counters. Drain counters.

He is weak to fire. I do not gently caress around with Bibbles.

Two Fire rods, he's dead, I'm not.

Grass Turtles drop their shells, and they're... secretly powerful.

3rd piano is in Karnak, which I got now because I have to go upstairs.

Mid beats the poo poo out of his grandpa.

This reminds Galuf of when his grandchild beat the poo poo out of him.

Neat.

I sink it asap.

Ok so I have a "thing" I'm "obsessed with" called the "sub-minute Fire Ship" wherein I try to sail from first moving the boat on the overworld to this line of Fiesta Dude's in less than a minute. I set up a weird donation toxx for it last year and finally got it myself.

Fiesta Dude got 1 minute 17 seconds. Three random encounters smdh.

At Crescent we get our first bard song.

And the fourth piano.

Bard and Ranger are smacked out of a bird. This bird is also a flying machine.

Bard, right, so, Bard is a strange one. Its harps inflict fractional damage, via the same nothing damage formula as the healing staff and 100% spell procs, and suck. Their stats are slightly improved magic and agility for awful strength and stamina. And you have Songs.

Immediately you can get two zero-cost all-enemy status spells that effectively deactivate random encounters and even some bosses. But if they don't work the bard is a waste of space. They can hide from a battle basically indefinitely, but that means they aren't doing anything to the battle.

Then later Bard gets some suspicously useful tools and can do some downright wacky things, with the right support.

This polarization in their utility is why you have casual & less informed players saying bard sucks, because they kinda do, sometimes, and you have mountain hermits like me saying Bard is incredible, because they kinda are.

And there's zero contradiction in that. Bard is great. Bard is not great. It depends on what's on the left side of the screen.

Or the right if you're ambushed.

Hey, a pink music box.

Let's remember the time Fiesta Dude's mom (Fiesta Mom) died and also the music box wasn't there!

After hearing that tune that reminds Fiesta Dude of his dead mom, the bard gives him the Horny Song.

Istory has the missing level 2 black spell. If enemies are open to Toad it is a fantastic way to make them completely stupid. Toads can't do poo poo to you.

Another bard is just hanging out beinhd a fence for some reason and gives us the Other Horny Song.

With Bard in tow I engage wolf murder round 2.

Mid is actively lying, not using magic on the sandworm is a bad idea.

Speaking of, Sandworm is a horrible fight for any physical-reliant party. Sandworm is perpetually in the back row, after all.

Mighty March puts Regen on the party. Regen isn't the powerhouse it is in other games, we're doing it because bard has nothing else to contribute to this fight. Sandworm is immune to Stop and Confuse, my horny song effects. Sandworm is immune to every status but Slow and I'm pretty sure you have to inflict it on each position individually due to how its hole-switching works.

Enemies don't change in this game like they seem to do. Wing Raptor and Siren, for example, are actually two enemies each that share HP.

There are seven enemies present in this Sandworm battle. Sandworm, three holes including the occupied one, the spots Sandworm could be in but isn't, and a control bit that manages the rest.

Fiesta Dude and Lenna drop Thundaras on it. Sandworm has no elemental affinities.

It doesn't do a lot lot, but Sandworm has 3000 HP and puinches would be less than half this because Sandworm is perpetually in the back row.

Galuf uses Chakra every turn to heal himself because I don't want to bother even aiming his fists.

Quicksand is Sandworm's danger move, inflicting a flat unchanging 60 damage and Sap to the entire party. It doesn't seem like a lot, but Sandworm's three positions have seperate ATBs, being seperate monsters, and can pound out those Quicksands suprisingly aggressively.

Magic damage gives me a decent sandworm fight.

The desert's encounters are open as hell to Stop. Most are.

Lotta cutscenes.

Missing white magic, Mini isn't as devistating as Toad because it doesn't stop magic, but it can wreck guys at random too.

Cray Claw is an astounding level 43 but that's its only resistance to a myriad of status ailments.

Even if you can't hit that, it's weak to lightning. Even if you can't do that, it's only doing single-target hits, and with 2000 HP you can reasonably just race it.

Jachol has piano #5.

Sweet, weapons I won't use but feel compelled to buy anyway.

You either do your rest of world 1 prep work when you get the black chocobo or when you get the airship, depending on how the desert and sandworm/cray claw treat you, and then zoom through the rest of the stuff.

Well, I do my rest of world 1 prep when I get a flying machine. You have access to everything in the world with minimal fuss at that point and plenty of places to level if you need it.

The point you aim for isn't getting your earth job, or even leaving world 1, it's being ready for Gilgamesh on the Big Bridge. He's a toughie and he's the last boss before you get to a world 2 town. He's the barrier between you and buying hi potions, in other words.

Anyway, the Adamantite is actually in your key items for like 5 seconds.

Give or take for a turtle.

Adamantoise hits hard, sometimes hits twice, has no other moves or tricks, and his 2000 HP is deceptive. Innate Shell/Protect effectively double it.

He's weak to ice and that's saving my rear end this time.

The side guns are randomly Flame Throwers or Missile Launchers. I got all flames. Teams with Blue Mage want Flame Throwers to get Flamethrower, as it has equal power to Fira and half the cost, a useful tool to carry them until they get Aeroga.

Missile is only useful with Beastmaster because it hits the same things as Death Claw but has 9% more accuracy, and if you have Beast and Blue in the same spot stop wasitng your loving time and win already.

Without Blue Mages, we just heal up after being set on fire and electrocute them.

After the four small guns is the big gun.

Soul Cannon doesn't do anything at first but that's your cue to not waste time. It's immune to basically ailments in general and has (effectively) 12501 HP.

Ah, but it's not alone!

Aw gently caress me. The Launchers have (effectively) 801 HP and breaking a thunder rod and flinging a Thundara would've done it with any real mage's magic power. These fuckers took 780 each like this.

So we get Valiant Attacked. It deals half of max HP and Olds.

It's called Valiant Attack.

They don't get to try a second time at least. Old sucks. It gradually reduces level, weaking basically everything you want to do.

The launchers and Soul Cannon have 10,000 HP more than they actaully use so they can do this fancy exploding animation. Why they don't just do it on-death is beyond me.

And then we try to beat down the gun really fast, including punching it.

This is Soul Cannon's last message before it

blows!

Red Mage has both lightning magic and Cura so they have one of the easier Soul Cannons by themselves. Geomancer has a horrid one because Soul Cannon is immune to wind and every loving thing !Gaia hits up here is wind.

Ronkan Ruins are pretty simple, since we have no need of golden armor, no way to exploit the random encounters for their hidden value, and Bard makes them rote, though Fan Wizards are immune to Stop while Lamias block Confuse.

Ancient Sword gives us the power of Old. As we reach are at the end of the Red Mage's time in the limelight we need to keep in mind its utility, and part of that is its vast weapon selection and what those do.

The Ronkan Speed Trap hasn't gotten me in five years and it won't get me yet!

I've had eventful trips to Dr. Clapperclaw here, and this wasn't one.

This is a lie, it's very sequential.

Dr. Archibald Clapperclaw, nicknamed Archie, is immune to everything but Slow again. So Faris drops Mighty March and waits.

Archie is floating and always immune to Earth, otherwise it follows a sequence, wind weakness, then immune to Ice, Fire, then Lightning. Archie switches when it runs out of HP. I just stick with Thundara until stops working.

Archie has a huge list of moves, and a lot of them are percentile. Cura goes really far here.

Archie's physicals hit pretty hard so Protect is dandy.

That pause in the ATB after hitting it is the telltale sign Archie's gone to its next form.

Archie starts with 30 defense and no magic defense, and as it progresses, its defense goes down and its magic defense goes up. For a job like Monk the battle gets easier as each form swap resets Archie's ATB.

Regen ticks are heavily based on level and stamina. Monk, at the highest Stamina in the game, gets a huge wad while Bard and Red Mage, 2nd and 3rd lowest, don't get much at all.

When Archie's lighting-immune form passes away, it instantly revives, a feat that makes King Tycoon cum instantly.

Final Archie is immune to earth, wind, fire, ice, and lightning, and uses all its assorted annoying spells from its previous forms.

0 defense, though, meaning Lenna punches it apart in a hurry.

8,400 HP all told.

King Tycoon laughs evilly. That's your cue to strip Galuf naked.

Everyone has happy reunions except Fiesta Dude and crystals.

The antagonist, a shrub with an attitude problem, mocks the heroes, then leaves.

He has a habit of doing that.

Then Galuf and his granddaughter leave. It's awkward, getting your Earth job right as Galuf leaves.

Oh, right, Earth job.

I'm not complaining about it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Byblos can be a pain for certain teams, particularly if you don't have fire damage. He has nasty attacks and counters, and while you can burn him up easily with fire damage or trivialize him with Beastmaster, it's hard to heal through his nasty attacks and spells when you're still stuck with Potions. Ask me about doing Byblos with just Monks and Berserkers.

:unsmigghh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh, right, Earth job.

Ohhhhhh yes. :getin: Time to watch the game get systematically ripped apart by two of its most powerful jobs supplementing two of its least.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who found the method of getting Alluring Air...odd to say the least

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bartz's dad fucks.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Chemist and Bard together with Monk huh? Time to trust your fists, OFS.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Oh, right, Earth job.

Yeah, it's pretty okay I guess. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MagusDraco posted:

Chemist and Bard together with Monk huh? Time to trust your fists, OFS.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LP Over, rated 5. Thanks for another Fiesta Run OFS.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Time for Big Chugs

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It is time. :getin: :catdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVE90vGS9ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAdRPrXdXTU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

W.T. Fits posted:

So in general, most people try to avoid running away until they reach the Wind Shrine and pick up their first job to see whether or not they get assigned Knight; if they do, then they have the option of going for either the Brave Blade or the Chicken Knife. Most people, however, just tend to take the Chicken Knife anyway since some encounter formations can be extremely annoying to deal with depending on your job composition, and it's easier and faster to just run away. Which means going for the Brave Blade and attempting to keep it at full power can make the game a bit more challenging than a normal run.

I've done Brave Blade once.

Of course, it was when I had the comp Knight/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Samurai. It was actually pretty great.

Fun fact: Ninja scrolls are tuned to the Ninja's naturally low magic. Even the Mystic Knights magic stat makes them screen clearers. So I never had any trouble with random encounters.

Also, :getin: for Chemist action

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Bard and Chemist?

:yeshaha:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
My very first FJF was Black Mage, Red Mage, Bard and Chemist. It was basically easy mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

agradine posted:

My very first FJF was Black Mage, Red Mage, Bard and Chemist. It was basically easy mode

Anything with Chemist is basically easy mode, unless you don't want to grind for fifteen years for turtle shells.

Then it just becomes "not really that hard mode" because even at its absolute least useful, Chemist is a baller support class.