Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Chemist is probably the best class in the game if you have any semblance of patience at all.

I struggle with it because I am not only impatient I have a hard time remembering what the !Mixes are, but that's on me, not the class. And even in my forgetful hands, Chemist was still extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In hindsight, yeah, the unintuitive way you basically have to have all of Chemist’s Mix combinations memorized was probably what lead them to streamlining both the items and effects of the job’s spiritual successor in Bravely Default. Sure, it also meant getting rid of the oddball effects, but Salve-maker was still one of the more powerful Jobs in BD up until you could get into Stillness shenanigans.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Regalingualius posted:

In hindsight, yeah, the unintuitive way you basically have to have all of Chemist’s Mix combinations memorized was probably what lead them to streamlining both the items and effects of the job’s spiritual successor in Bravely Default.

The very concept of the Chemist (a powerful class whose main drawback is having to figure out how it actually works) is something that only makes sense in a pre-internet age where you can use it to sell strategy guides or reward the extremely dedicated.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm not sure how you'd figure out the exact effect of certain mixes without a guide. Figuring out that a certain combination cures all your HP is one thing, but noticing that you've gone up 10 levels or become a heavy dragon seems a bit trickier.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This game is the exact reason why I collect turtle shells and put them in any liquid I can find

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

I'm not sure how you'd figure out the exact effect of certain mixes without a guide. Figuring out that a certain combination cures all your HP is one thing, but noticing that you've gone up 10 levels or become a heavy dragon seems a bit trickier.
I usually describe !Mix to others as an undocumented debug mode. In fact, given how many different classes of things it touches I would not be surprised if that was that was the exact intent during FF5's development. All they would have had to do afterwards would be to not publish the master list.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NGDBSS posted:

I usually describe !Mix to others as an undocumented debug mode. In fact, given how many different classes of things it touches I would not be surprised if that was that was the exact intent during FF5's development. All they would have had to do afterwards would be to not publish the master list.

No way. If it was that, there'd be several Mixes with buggy or downright game-breaking (in the "crashes the game or corrupts the RAM" way) effects. Mix is completely stable, just utterly bonkers, it is as it is on purpouse. I fully believe it's entirely that way to sell strategy guides.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Sorry, this LP isn't actually very fun or engaging to make. I guess I felt like jumping back into a project immediately after Pokemon Reborn, and it turns out concept and execution can be vastly different things.

And I guess sharing specific wet stunts I do in ff5 and trying to post about the entire playthrough are also really dissimilar.

Here's all I got through 1-4 before I realized it wasn't that much fun to do.

I think I'll just play video games without a compulsion to post about one so I stop feeling guilty about it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Anyway this was an assured Triple Crown; here's the proof:

Omega was open to stop locks, and incidentally those negated his evasion. Then I buffed the Monk and souped Omega's defense until Krile punched holes through him.

He died.

!Mix has Bacchus Cider for Berserk and Dark Sigh for Blind. Shinryu is open to both. Krile punched holes through him.

He died.

Life Shields (!mix) negated White Hole and treedeath's physicals are zero issue between protect and goliath tonics, so I could go beyond the limits and give Krile absolute power over creation and destruction.

She kicked NED apart.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Good LP

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No Gil Turtle kill?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now beat FF5 with four Magikarp

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
And this is why I hate !Mix so much. You either have to maintain willful ignorance of how it works, or let it suck all the fun out of the game.

Or just avoid using it, at which point Chemist is still the best support class.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ultrafilter posted:

No Gil Turtle kill?

While I probably could, it's only in world 2 or the bonus dungeon, and gilgabot doesn't give any recognition for doing so.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Edward_Tohr posted:

And this is why I hate !Mix so much. You either have to maintain willful ignorance of how it works, or let it suck all the fun out of the game

Man, I hope I never get to the point where whipping out megadamage on demand "sucks the fun out of the game".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Edward_Tohr posted:

And this is why I hate !Mix so much. You either have to maintain willful ignorance of how it works, or let it suck all the fun out of the game.

Or just avoid using it, at which point Chemist is still the best support class.

It isn't that. Fiesta Dude doesn't get mix until moogle cave and I first use it against the dragon flower. And it's a hoot figuring out the bag of tricks in general.

If !mix were the issue I'd not have gone all the way ththrough the game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Really, the important thing here is that Krile did 9k+ damage with !Kick.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Should archive/goldmine it just for the !Kick.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mega64 posted:

Now beat FF5 with four A presses

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm actually amazed that !Kick did so much damage, because I thought the maximum attack power for it was 3 + 2x99 + 2x99/8 + 50 = 275, and even at level 99 the multiplier for that wouldn't be high enough to break 7.5k damage. I'm probably misreading the Algorithms FAQ.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm actually amazed that !Kick did so much damage, because I thought the maximum attack power for it was 3 + 2x99 + 2x99/8 + 50 = 275, and even at level 99 the multiplier for that wouldn't be high enough to break 7.5k damage. I'm probably misreading the Algorithms FAQ.

Keep in mind that Bard/Chemist boosts internal level, which can go up to 255.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

That's what I initially thought too, but I tested it a few years ago and on the GBA version it seems like all damage is capped at level 99. Maybe that's a difference between the NA and EU release though.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's what I initially thought too, but I tested it a few years ago and on the GBA version it seems like all damage is capped at level 99. Maybe that's a difference between the NA and EU release though.

I want to say that bards can raise your level to 99 but chemists can raise it to 255. I may not, however, be remembering correctly.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

It depends on the version, but I don't remember what versions have the !Sing limit at 99 and which at 255.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The SNES algorithms FAQ says that Hero Song can only go up to 99, and the GBA version doesn't say anything differently. I guess it's possible that it goes up to 255 in the iOS version, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.