Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
OFSheep replayign Final Fantasy V? Oh hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ritznit posted:

This is great and I will be following along.

Dumbo question though:

How is running away from fights related to the Knight?

Late in the game, you're given a choice of two weapons, the Brave Blade and the Chicken Knife. The Brave Blade is a 150 Attack Power Knight Sword that loses 1 Attack Power every time you run away; this is counted over the course of the entire game from the moment you start. And since it's a Knight Sword, it can only be used by Knights, Freelancers, Gladiators, or anyone with the ability Equip Swords (which is learned from the Knight Job).

The Chicken Knife, on the other hand, is a 0 Attack Power Knife that gains 1 Attack Power for every two fights you run away from, capping out at 127 Attack Power (meaning you need to run away 254 times to power it up fully). Since it's a Knife, it can be used by any job in the game except Monks and White Mages. And on top of that, it calculates its damage Multiplier using the character's Strength AND their Agility, unlike all the other knives in the game which are coded to only give a partial bonus to your Multiplier from Agility, which makes it capable of putting out some insanely high damage in the late game. It has a drawback of casting !Flee (which makes your whole team automatically run away from a battle, and wastes that character's turn if it's a fight you can't run away from, like a boss) 25% of the time when you try to Attack with it, but there are numerous ways to get around that depending on the jobs you get.

So in general, most people try to avoid running away until they reach the Wind Shrine and pick up their first job to see whether or not they get assigned Knight; if they do, then they have the option of going for either the Brave Blade or the Chicken Knife. Most people, however, just tend to take the Chicken Knife anyway since some encounter formations can be extremely annoying to deal with depending on your job composition, and it's easier and faster to just run away. Which means going for the Brave Blade and attempting to keep it at full power can make the game a bit more challenging than a normal run.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Every year I learn about new item spots I missed before. This update didn't have any, but I sure can't wait to see what it is this year. :v:

Oracle can't use Knives either, which is even less relevant for most runs but still.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they could or not, I'm not as familiar with the bonus jobs from Advance as I am with the rest of them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

RE: That Nakk that pre-emptive attacked and just ran away - The Curr Nakk always runs if there is nothing else on the field. This is really useful if you have teams that are terrible at dealing with them in the fights with three wolves and a commander because you can just kill the commander and the wolves bail.

This also works on the fights where it's two Curr Nakks and a Sorcerer. Kill the Sorcerer, and the Nakks will flee as soon as their turns come up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

weird that NeoExdeath would run from the cops

THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It is time. :getin: :catdrugs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVE90vGS9ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAdRPrXdXTU