Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

The gently caress is this?
Phantom Block is a delightful puzzle platformer made by our friend and fellow goon Gamesfreak, you may remember him from the Zero runs of our X let's play series. What's it like? Sorta like playing a game in a level editor, it's a lot of fun with plenty of well thought out puzzles. But hey, I'm terrible at writing, so let's see what the website has to say.

Phantomblock.com posted:

Guide Boomer in his quest to collect coins, travel the world, and defeat mischievous Ballums! Use your mouse to change the world around you into mysterious Phantom Blocks with myriad uses: some blocks make walls intangible, others bounce you high, and some even let you stick to the walls! It's in your power to change the world; see where it takes you!

• Help Boomer through platforming puzzles and challenges!
  • Use the 8 Phantom Blocks to change the world as you play!
  • Collect coins to unlock over 30 exciting levels!

Seriously, it's a lot of fun. And it's free! You can grab it from http://phantomblock.com/ and try it out for yourself!

This is a semi blind 100% run of the game, I have only played a demo of it a couple of years ago, while Rik, who has completed it, guides me through the more difficult poo poo.

Episodes will come out as I finish editing them, so maybe one every couple of days or so.

Episodes
Episode 01 - Failing at a Level Editor
Episode 02 - Fast forward to Victory
Episode 03 - Come with me
Episode 04 - An Ah Ha Moment
Episode 05 - Railguns and the Upside-down
Episode 06 - Good Game Design and Salt
Episode 07 - Like Tears in the Rain
Episode 08 - Boomer's Big Finale

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
This looks like a fun game. If you enjoy free puzzle platform games where you also do things with the mouse, I also recommend Beret.

Edit: Now I have played all of Phantom Block. That was fun, except for one level.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 2, 2019

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh I remember playing a demo/proof of concept of this a long time ago.
Glad to see it finished!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh I remember playing a demo/proof of concept of this a long time ago.
Glad to see it finished!

Me too!

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Episode 2 is up, watch in amazement as Mith struggles valiantly through some of the most difficult traps designed by man; early levels in a friendly puzzle platformer!

Episode 02 - Fast forward to Victory

Death is pretty cheap in this game, it loads you back in pretty fast and, outside of a few instances in the last levels, check points are pretty generous, so it never really feels like a waste of time.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I decided to play this game because of the LP, and have gotten stuck on the final level. Good Luck indeed.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

roomforthetuna posted:

This looks like a fun game. If you enjoy free puzzle platform games where you also do things with the mouse, I also recommend Beret.

Edit: Now I have played all of Phantom Block. That was fun, except for one level.

Eopia posted:

I decided to play this game because of the LP, and have gotten stuck on the final level. Good Luck indeed.

I might have gone too far in a few places.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Guess who has been rediscovering the joys of editing after a long hiatus

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

MithosKuu posted:

Guess who has been rediscovering the joys of editing after a long hiatus

You didn’t beware the box ghost enough, Mith
Beware the box ghost

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

You didn’t beware the box ghost enough, Mith
Beware the box ghost

This post upsets me on multiple levels, and now I need to rip some Danny Phantom audio

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Got slammed recently with OT, here are 4 and 5

Episode 04 - An Ah Ha Moment
Episode 05 - Railguns and the Upside-down

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Here are 6 and 7, the difficulty really starts to ramp up here, I had to cut out a lot of deaths

Episode 06 - Good Game Design and Salt
Episode 07 - Like Tears in the Rain

Just one episode left

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

You managed to flip the Ballum to walk on the underside of the ground and then it falls up through a gap to walk on the ceiling to come back to you

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

You managed to flip the Ballum to walk on the underside of the ground and then it falls up through a gap to walk on the ceiling to come back to you

As a certified Game Master (tm) it is incumbent upon me to show off all the exploits

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

MithosKuu posted:

As a certified Game Master (tm) it is incumbent upon me to show off all the exploits

Stop breaking the rules of my game :(

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
And finally we have the last level, a viscous gauntlet forged by hatred

Episode 08 - Boomer's Big Finale

Overall I had a fantastic time with this game, and hope others pick up it

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This game is interesting and your LP videos were not bad.

HOWEVER...

There's something in the LP rules about the point of an LP thread being, at the very least, discussion.

You didn't technically break any hard rules but I almost gave up on this LP halfway through and I'm pretty sure other people gave up on it entirely, you didn't get many comments after the start.

Why? Because you dumped two long videos in a single post. Twice. Not giving people the chance to discuss each video. Instead just steaming on, expecting that people are willing to watch such a big chunk of LP at once (because readers can't even use "mark as read till this point" if you have them in a single post). I don't care if you upload everything to Youtube all at once, but not bothering to put a couple days between posting individual updates here on the forum? That's just chasing away your audience.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Carbon dioxide posted:

This game is interesting and your LP videos were not bad.

HOWEVER...

There's something in the LP rules about the point of an LP thread being, at the very least, discussion.

You didn't technically break any hard rules but I almost gave up on this LP halfway through and I'm pretty sure other people gave up on it entirely, you didn't get many comments after the start.

Why? Because you dumped two long videos in a single post. Twice. Not giving people the chance to discuss each video. Instead just steaming on, expecting that people are willing to watch such a big chunk of LP at once (because readers can't even use "mark as read till this point" if you have them in a single post). I don't care if you upload everything to Youtube all at once, but not bothering to put a couple days between posting individual updates here on the forum? That's just chasing away your audience.

Looking at when the updates were posted, I don't think people were lacking time to watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Mostly life got in the way of getting everything edited and released on a consistent schedule, and I wasn't always able to update the thread on time.

It's also a reverse of our usual setup, with the experienced player behind the wheel and the in experienced one asking questions and driving the conversation. I don't fault our reasoning behind it, but I feel we could have executed it better.

Coupled with an obscure game I'm not surprised at the thread's performance, but it got at least a few others to try out the game and for that I am most happy.

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 5, 2019