Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

The main question you should ask yourself before getting Echoes of the Eye isn’t « is this too scary for me ?» (it’s not), it’s « how tolerant am I to frustration ? ».

It’s a single area you’ll be visiting over, and over, and over again with none of the base game’s variety (for instance your spaceship will be a glorified loading screen past the initial discovery) so if that area and its puzzles don’t click with you…

I’m sad to say this because the base game is easily my favorite of all time but this expansion is kind of a different beast and I think it has some fundamental issues in how it tosses aside most of the base games mechanics in favor of a clunky Zelda adventure.

Yeah I ended up quitting after three or four aborted trips to the "other world". Being forced to do the same thing over and over because of lame jump scares and lovely stealth mechanics in an area where you can't see anything anyway was really not fun, so I bailed. Oh well. The base game still stands as one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It was. I guess I could try again, but I dunno, to be honest I just wasn't having any fun at all with the new area. It just totally doesn't fit with the rest of the game IMO.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fwiw that's exactly where I quit too. After two play sessions of zero progress and zero fun, I decided there are better games I could be playing. It's an especially sour note since the base game was so amazing.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I would've probably put up with it if the punishment for failure was something like rewinding time to the point you entered the sim instead of basically requiring you to restart the entire cycle.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fez is one of my favorite games of all time. Great puzzles, fun art, and fantastic music. Have a notebook handy.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I tried Tunic twice and bounced off both times. The puzzles seem cool, but the gameplay & exploration just aren't fun enough to hook me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Eclipse viewing experience like landing on the Sun Station but with my retinas.