Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I like some games that I suspect hardly anyone knows about. I thought other people might too. I would like to hear about good games that I should know about. Maybe you would too.

Here are some of my good games that people mostly don't know about.

1. Beret. It's a free mouse-and-keyboard puzzle-platformer, with some really delightful mechanics. One of the best is instant save/load at any moment, which makes it less platformer more puzzle because you can just save before any tricky maneuver, or even mid-maneuver, and reload any time you miss the move. The puzzling is also high quality, new mechanics are added at about the right pace to keep it interesting while also sticking around long enough to make good use of them. You're a telekinetic blobman; telekinesis is performed with the mouse, while moving around is performed like a normal platformer. You can't control objects you're standing on, or objects in certain zones, or certain kinds of objects, and those constraints basically form the core of how the puzzle premise works.

2. Miracle Fly, on Steam. It's not free, but it is one of the most fun and engaging games I've paid for (I played it for 54 hours apparently). It's kind of a puzzle-platformer-shooter, but the platforming often involves flight, and the shooting is also the mechanism of flight. It's an original and intuitive mechanic. If I recall correctly it's played entirely with mouse (controller is an option, but it's better with mouse). I'd say it's qualitatively similar to peak Mario, like Super Mario World 3, in terms of how well it manages to do both variety and challenge.

3. Wonderquest: Master Orion. It's free and dead and hard to find. It's in the same genre as Deadly Rooms of Death, a puzzle game in the setting of a Roguelike, but Wonderquest has more variety. If you search the linked page for "setup_42" and then click the second instance, that download works, and as far as I can tell is the only surviving relic of this game. The puzzle premise is, like a real Rogue game, any time you move everything else gets a turn to move. Unlike a Roguelike, everything always moves predictably, and anything you can kill is killed in one hit - the difficulty is things you can't kill directly (like a snake-thing that you have to trap into a dead end that moves like the old Snake game) and things that come in cruelly-timed groups - eg. if you're killing something to your west, it'll take you four turns to be able to kill something to your east, absent a different weapon or a tile that flips your direction or something.

4. Caves of Qud, made by a goon. It's the most extravagantly insane Roguelike I've played (but I haven't played Dwarf Fortress because I couldn't tolerate it). My example of what makes it amazing is the time I played with a time dilation power, a forcefield, the ability to summon clones of myself, and an evil twin. The evil twin showed up, summoned evil clones, all of which made surprisingly clever use of forcefields and time dilation to counter my own attempts. The AI is super impressive about using skills in ways that I would not expect a Roguelike game to consider, but not so clever as to render the game not fun. Seems to be in perpetual early access on Steam.

Tell us your secret games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Carnage Heart (Playstation) - no description other than it's really, really good and you probably haven't heard of it.

bird.

tail concerto (playstation) - your a cat whose a cop in a mech that shoots bubbles at criminal cats who you're trying to apprehend on a floating island in the sky

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
PixelPuzzle by Konami is a newly released smartphone game i actually like. smartphone games are usually hecka whack imho, but this one is just picross done right

no ads, no way to spend money in this app which is a rarity and a godsend. they ask you to do a survey every great once in a while but you can easily skip these!

TL;DR if you like Picross, download this free smartphone game it's not bad

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

The Dark Eye: I loved this game growing up in the 90s and it's aged surprisingly well. Imagine really creepy, eyeless claymation figures with odd pre-rendered backgrounds, now imagine them playing out Edgar Allen Poe shirt stories, except, you play through each story via the perspective of first the killer, then the victim. It's a really, really neat idea. The Cask of Amontillado, Berenice, The Tell-Tale Heart, a very loosely adapted version of The Fall of the House of Usher (which acts as a framing device for the other stories), and then voiced readings of Annabel Lee and The Masque of the Red Death by freaking William S. Burroughs.

It has very sparse but effective sound design as well.
Excellent multimedia title definitely worth a watch on YouTube at least.

The Residents: Bad Day on the Midway: An extremely bizarre but memorable and potent multimedia "game" from virtuoso weird-Art group The Residents. Featuring a grotesque art style with weirdly animated pre-rendered faces on stylized bodies, the look and sound of the game really seems to nod towards future titles like Bioshock, weird Art Deco funhouse aesthetic. I swear Ken Levine must have played this game because the character Ted in this seems like a blueprint for Sander Cohen.
There's so many aspect that makes this unique. The bizarre atmosphere, with incredible sound design. The incredibly bleak and savagely satirical life stories of the characters you encounter. The discordant yet oddly catchy tunes dispersed throughout the game, not to mention deeply eerie. Yet there's also a lot of sadness and emotionally resonant moments in here.
You explored a disused Midway as a boy named Timmy who runs around like a little spaz encountering the freaks. There are some caveats however, much like The Last Express, the whole game runs off a timer triggering events, so the game's events unfold in real time so to speak, it's not as in depth as The Last Express, but it means each playthrough has a definite beginning and end measured out. The ending you get depends on what you see throughout the Midway and... who you play as.

Not only do you get a livestream of a characters THOUGHTS written out in subtitles as the characters voice act spoken lines, but you can switch to the perspective of a character you are speaking to at any time. Each character has their own thoughts when speaking to people or looking at objects. There's a lot of layers. It also has one of the best Strategy Guides I ever read, a strange narrative and additional glut of short stories and background info along with a making of.

Again, can easily be watched thoroughly through on YouTube, highly recommended.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

BYOBot posted:

Burgertime 2: Electric Burgaloo (Capcom, 1989): If you've ever wondered if a "big baddy" should use a bomb to take your soul, then check out this arcade version of this horror classic. You play Jack the Rat, an assassin with a bomb strapped to his neck, who has to travel through a maze of interconnected pipes, filled with dangerous snakes, to rescue his friends. Though this game isn't as scary as others it has good scares.

The Secret Lair (Capcom, 1989): If you're into big-time platforming, check out this game that's based on the classic platformer. In the middle of the game where you're attempting to find the exit, a guy that can summon invisible walls appears in the game's background, which then causes the area in front of you to change into a small cave, filled with traps.

ghost emoji

oooOooOOOooh
pokemon

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this post and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this post, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the post and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this post or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Areola Grande

poke a what now?

Homo Simpson

by Smythe
Nier

Areola Grande

he'll yes the original PS3 game has possibly the best soundtrack of any game ever imho

mercenarynuker

If you have a friend to play it with, a fun asymmetrical co-op game is We Were Here (free on Steam), and it's follow-up We Were Here 2 (not free). They're not very long, but my buddies and I had a lot of fun playing through them

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

mercenarynuker posted:

If you have a friend to play it with, a fun asymmetrical co-op game is We Were Here (free on Steam), and it's follow-up We Were Here 2 (not free). They're not very long, but my buddies and I had a lot of fun playing through them
A fun not co-op game is Dead Drop. One player has to pretend to be an NPC while also traversing a number of goals within a time limit (the goals alert that they have been achieved, but with a delay so it's not just "the one NPC that just touched that is the target"), the other player has to spot which one they are and shoot them in the face. Not free though, and not internet enabled. It wouldn't be as fun over the internet anyway, but it would be nice to be able to play it with two people in the same room on separate screens rather than having to hide your fingers on a shared computer.

Farecoal

There he go
https://store.steampowered.com/app/329070/SpyParty/

?

roomforthetuna

Yeah, like that but with simpler graphics so it's more full-information gamey - you can always see everything. (A common theme in all the games I've said is they're not 3D - I very rarely find a 3D game fun.)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Fighting Monsters 3 is the latest game in the Fighting Monsters franchise. The game offers stunning visuals, high paced action and unique weapons that use unique techniques. While the other fighting anime featured in this series features characters that have evolved over the course of their adventures, this first title is completely new to the series. The main character is Shizuru, a 14 year old girl who has been reincarnated as the Demon Lord Shiki, a fierce swordsman, who is known for his prowess against those who try to hurt him.

In the main games, you control Shikira, an average male character who has trouble managing his weight. The game switches to Mikaoto, a black-haired, red-headed woman named Shiki Minami. While you have a limited amount of time in each level, she shows you the most dangerous and difficult enemies, helping you along the way. You do not encounter humans, demons, monsters, and spirits, but instead, you are fighting monsters and collecting items that you find to upgrade various stats. It was interesting to see Shiki make a name for herself in the series since she seems to specialize in using her unique skills against her enemy. However, her skill is still weak compared to other characters such as Ria, who is capable of making it through the game quite easily (especially considering that the game is played with both controller/punch buttons).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal

I wish there was a proper PC port of Steambot Chronicles.