Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Monathin, coming back to base: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE7zBMjubqw&t=98s

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One of these days your 'i'm not concerned about these scrub aliens' is going to come back to bite you in a major way, fairgame.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Not that many days left though! And presumably he’ll take the final mission seriously.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

One of these days your 'i'm not concerned about these scrub aliens' is going to come back to bite one of us in a major way, fairgame.
:ohdear:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Another day of not respecting the aliens, another day of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEbjpVnLv2c

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Whew, ok, it was less of a week end and more of a week, but I managed to catch up in time for the end game. I was expecting to come back to at least a few posts ominously alluding to some tearful farewells, but I don't think there was a single death between when I fell off the wagon and now. Plenty of close calls, though. Thank goodness for those secondary hearts.

Amazing last mission, this might be the first Terror mission that ended with a major majority of living civilians. It's pretty neat to see how an end-game crew can steam roll even stuff like cyber discs now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm actually really curious why FG doesn't give his officers secondary hearts. Is it the tube time?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Most of the higher ranked officers have secondary hearts. The lower ones I don't care that much about b/c they're not going to be on the A squad.

If I hadn't gone the Deus Ex route which allowed me to create several just completely bullshit assaults, I'd have been more liberal with the hearts, I think.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hey i'm totally A-squad! :mad:

Also I got startled by your voice, I opened up the vid and was looking for the CC option when you spoke. Glad you've got your voice back.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This has been a long, long war, and I wanna thank you for sticking it through all the way despite all the difficulties. This series has been really entertaining, but I can understand how exhausting it would be. Yeesh, that dearth between Ethereal encounters was insane.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 23, 2021

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

sincx posted:

How strong are Abductor UFOs? Is it typical to take them down with a single Firestorm?

Abductors are the weakest of the large ships. Hell, they might even be weaker than Destroyers (the medium ones that will just wreck your fleet early in the campaign) by this point b/c destroyers get massive upgrades and Abductors don't.

If you're lucky, and judicious with your consumables, you could probably take down an abductor with upgraded lasers or upgraded gauss tech (we didn't do either of those techs in this campaign, mind you) and basic interceptors.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what does it take to bring down a battleship? And what type of map does it spawn?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As far as I know Battleships use the map seen in the Slingshot DLC, just with more fire and debris since it crashed.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

God that opening rocket was just :kiss:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That is a heck of a scouting party.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They love to walk into our line of fire.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I want this over so badly.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh hey, this campaign finally got over its slump. And looks like not only did I make master seargent, but I'm thoroughly mediocre enough that I won't be on the A team. Looks like ol' Grunting is coming out of this one alive folks :smug:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Grapplejack posted:

God that opening rocket was just :kiss:

Probably the last cool thing I'll get to do in the campaign, so go me. This concludes my character arc from blowing up my allies to correctly blowing up my enemies.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sorry for the double post; I'm REALLY pushing to finish this thing.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 23, 2021

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

sincx posted:

I'm going to miss this thread a lot when the campaign wraps up. :smith:

I'm kind of burnt out on this campaign, but we're so close to the end that it's fine. No danger of not finishing. I'm glad it's still enjoyable for y'all, though.

Overall, I've had a lot of fun with this; it's just the last 30 or so missions that have become an uninteresting slog to me b/c I knew I had it wrapped up.

On the plus side I've learned a decent amount about video recording and editing, so there's that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Llama's magic rocket is the star of this episode. It's really funny to see the shredder rocket miss llama just because she's in cover but hit all the lids around her.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If you're not willing to shell your own position, then you're not really interested in winning.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I wonder how many more 50% rolls you are going to fail before someone finally learns Mind Control.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Peachfart posted:

I wonder how many more 50% rolls you are going to fail before someone finally learns Mind Control.

C'mooooooon Taslin you got it this time :pray:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It really is the campaign's final "gently caress you" to me, to be honest.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FairGame posted:

It really is the campaign's final "gently caress you" to me, to be honest.

Well yeah, it wasn't about to let you finish things easily! Mind Control? Hell no, do 15 more splashed scouts instead!

I'll really miss this LP, it's been awesome and I'm so glad it went the distance. Whatever you do next, count me in.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There we go with the 'lids not respecting the slo-mo shot and zooming across the map like they beat a stop light.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Update: there is a NEW final “gently caress you” this campaign gave me, and now I have to record another video as a result.

Still wrapping up this week though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

You're a trooper.

It does drive home to me the fact that maybe the professional devs were right when they designed the campaign...

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Munin posted:

You're a trooper.

It does drive home to me the fact that maybe the professional devs were right when they designed the campaign...

The thing I took away from this playthrough is that Firaxis took a lot of cues from this game when they were designing XCOM 2 (and especially WotC), and moreover I'm glad they knew which cues to take. Greater diversity in classes and builds? Check. Enemies that slowly get stronger forms and fulfill specialized roles? Check. A need for procedurally generated maps? Check. More equipment and equipment variety faster? Check. More special activated abilities for classes with more important things at baseline? Check. Fatigue and a side system that encourages keeping a larger roster than your core team? Check. Enemies doing missions you can interrupt? Check.

Meanwhile an ultra long campaign that just becomes a slog eventually? Not check. Multiple tedious low base percentage mechanics you need to go into to build end-game items or launch the endgame? Not check. A vast tech tree with several nearly useless late branches? Not check. Interception mechanics that eventually dump you into a nearly unwinnable soft enrage state for no good reason? Not Check.

I'll say this for Long War, it was extremely influential, but I'm incredibly thankful it wasn't influential ENOUGH for Firaxis to carry over its faults.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There's a glitch in the recording late in the video; it's not nearly as big a glitch as the other thing I'm about to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So...the final mission.

I don't know whether it's my old machine or unoptimized code or Long War adding a bunch of other bullshit, or what, but it CHUGS for me.

Those of you who are familiar with either Long War or base XCOM know that when you reach the final room, you get a little cutscene where the boss ethereal says some poo poo and then you have to kill him.

Well, uh...on my first attempt I reached the final room with everyone still alive and in good health. Took about 70 minutes.

And then this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VRY0oX9Rlg

I'll try it again later this week, I guess.