Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
So what happens at this point if you just ignore everything and just beeline towards the final mission? Can you still lose? Do you get any penalty? Do you really have to do every mission at this point? Even a pyrrhic victory is still a victory in terms of videogames.

Can you just select to do the final mission again and again or do you have to wait for some BS rng thing? I only played EU/EW and have no clue about what long war exactly changes. But if a 'burn everything and hope for rain' strat works to skip 1 or 2 missions to get to the end I say go for it at this point.

You did a hell of a job with this LP and it is time to end this. Bless you Fairgame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
:lol: Oh god, the game isn't letting you go, is it? The same thing happened to me, it crashed on what would have been the kill shot for the boss and that's why I've never actually beaten Xcom EW.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Qwezz posted:

So what happens at this point if you just ignore everything and just beeline towards the final mission? Can you still lose? Do you get any penalty? Do you really have to do every mission at this point? Even a pyrrhic victory is still a victory in terms of videogames.

Can you just select to do the final mission again and again or do you have to wait for some BS rng thing? I only played EU/EW and have no clue about what long war exactly changes. But if a 'burn everything and hope for rain' strat works to skip 1 or 2 missions to get to the end I say go for it at this point.

You did a hell of a job with this LP and it is time to end this. Bless you Fairgame!

I can ignore everything if I really want to; I don't have the second wave option that enforces "all countries must be under XCOM control before you can launch the final mission."

As a matter of practice, though, since I didn't know how many times I was going to get beaten by the stupid "you failed to learn the thing" RNG, I was going to do any mission that ignoring would have nasty consequences for panic. Thus, I shot down that research ship and ignored it; shooting it down was good enough.

Fun fact: when XCOM prodigy Beaglerush went to go beat his first Long War campaign, he turned on the Gollop Chamber before he was ready. Don't remember what "was ready" entailed, whether it was gear being built/repaired, or a soldier coming off sick leave, or what. But anyway, once you activate the Gollop Chamber, you can't advance anything else. The option to spin the globe disappears.

This was a problem, so he solved it in the most Beaglerush way: by continually launching the final mission, then hitting the "return to base" option that the Skyranger gives you when you arrive at your destination. I don't think anyone has ever used that button at any point until Beaglerush. Anyway, because time advances as the Skyranger is in the air, he just flew back and forth between XCOM HQ and the Temple Ship for like 48 hours or whatever was necessary to get what he needed.

The Long War devs, seeing this, decided they had to prevent this most edge of edge cases. Now, once you activate the Gollop Chamber, 16 assault carriers automatically launch infiltration missions on every country. If you don't do the mission immediately, the aliens will just magically snatch up the entire XCOM project with resources gathered from offscreen.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FairGame posted:

I can ignore everything if I really want to; I don't have the second wave option that enforces "all countries must be under XCOM control before you can launch the final mission."

As a matter of practice, though, since I didn't know how many times I was going to get beaten by the stupid "you failed to learn the thing" RNG, I was going to do any mission that ignoring would have nasty consequences for panic. Thus, I shot down that research ship and ignored it; shooting it down was good enough.

Fun fact: when XCOM prodigy Beaglerush went to go beat his first Long War campaign, he turned on the Gollop Chamber before he was ready. Don't remember what "was ready" entailed, whether it was gear being built/repaired, or a soldier coming off sick leave, or what. But anyway, once you activate the Gollop Chamber, you can't advance anything else. The option to spin the globe disappears.

This was a problem, so he solved it in the most Beaglerush way: by continually launching the final mission, then hitting the "return to base" option that the Skyranger gives you when you arrive at your destination. I don't think anyone has ever used that button at any point until Beaglerush. Anyway, because time advances as the Skyranger is in the air, he just flew back and forth between XCOM HQ and the Temple Ship for like 48 hours or whatever was necessary to get what he needed.

The Long War devs, seeing this, decided they had to prevent this most edge of edge cases. Now, once you activate the Gollop Chamber, 16 assault carriers automatically launch infiltration missions on every country. If you don't do the mission immediately, the aliens will just magically snatch up the entire XCOM project with resources gathered from offscreen.

So you're saying players found a goofy exploit to make the game marginally easier, and the devs overreacted in the most Long War Devs way possible... since they (probably) had no way to disable or remove the button, they just kludged together a bunch of mechanics [that were already extremely inelegant programming used to work around the fact the game was never intended to be moddable] in order to make it a "gently caress you, game over" button instead?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

silentsnack posted:

So you're saying players found a goofy exploit to make the game marginally easier, and the devs overreacted in the most Long War Devs way possible... since they (probably) had no way to disable or remove the button, they just kludged together a bunch of mechanics [that were already extremely inelegant programming used to work around the fact the game was never intended to be moddable] in order to make it a "gently caress you, game over" button instead?

They could have instead, programmed in a "Are you sure? The Globe will be locked after this." Prompt instead. But Long War Devs are Long War Devs

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

silentsnack posted:

Having come this far I wish I could say I was surprised.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat

Welp. the only way the game can prevent you from winning, is to kill itself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well at least punching a thin man so hard it exploded a truck was pretty awesome.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Regardless of how the thread ends, I'm happy that at the finish FairGame remembered the punch button.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

kw0134 posted:

Regardless of how the thread ends, I'm happy that at the finish FairGame remembered the punch button.

God willing, the final blow that wins the game will be a MEC punch to the face of the High Ethereal. (Though probably more likely a sniper shot from waaaaaay downtown.)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

FairGame posted:

This is incredibly Long War.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
Just watched the latest video and I can't wait for the final mission. it's going to be such a denouement. I've played EU/EW and Xcom2 wotc so much it is in the multiple hundreds of hours, But the LW additions always seemed a bit too masochistic for my liking. Seeing it in action in this LP I'm experiencing it vicariously.
if you ever decide to do Xcom2 LW LP count me in from the ground floor. (wink wink nudge nudge aye know what I'm saying? wink wink make a xcom2 LW LP already nudge nudge)

the one thing in the final mission in EU/EW which always gets me on my toes is the double sectopod room right before the final chamber. I feel that that part is the most difficult of the mission and I'm anxious to see how LW changes that and how you handle it.

(probably by blowing it all up in 1 turn and continue onwards like nothing happened given your track record.)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I don't know what I'm going to do next, but it probably won't be XCOM2. As we discovered early on in this thread, my computer is SUUUUPER old and can barely handle recording regular XCOM at low res.

XCOM2 *chugged* when I played it years ago. I can only imagine the horror of dealing with missions featuring The Lost, and adding in recording? Eesh.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Split it into three parts so I wouldn't have to re-play if it crashed again.

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49hlIN15hrI
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIP7gqt3t5Y

Hope y'all enjoyed! I did for most of it, until I didn't!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Akratic Method posted:

This concludes my character arc from blowing up my allies to correctly blowing up my enemies.

......and the first rocket I fire in the last mission closes that circle and goes back to shredding our people.

For having good numbers I am consistently somehow awful.

Edit: Got to the end! After that first part you made the whole thing look pretty effortless. Thanks for sticking with the whole, ridiculously extended campaign. I've really enjoyed watching.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 14, 2020

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well done commander :patriot:

Enjoy your well earned kudos before it's inevitably revealed that all the meld stuff gave us all space cancer

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Thanks for sticking with the incredibly Long War the game threw at you, really enjoyed this LP!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm going to miss this LP, great work!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There was an opportunity to punch out the Uber and I feel like you should've taken it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That was a good punch over the pit.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This sure was a wild ride. Thanks for taking us all along, FairGame.

Now, who was it that edited Bradford's sweater on to the guy in your title...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Congrats on finishing the marathon!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for the LP!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

:toot: congrats fairgame!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This sure was a wild ride. Thanks for taking us all along, FairGame.

Now, who was it that edited Bradford's sweater on to the guy in your title...
That was me, here it is again.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks so much for sticking it out, was a great ride and a great LP. Going to miss it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Could you have done a blind-fire flame thrower shot into the left hand ethereal that your MEC couldn't see form the ramp? Not that it was really needed, anyway.
Thanks and well done! This was a herculean effort that we've all thoroughly enjoyed. It's been interesting seeing the growth from the incredibly conservative play at the very start of the game into confidence as soon as we got lasers, followed by those "oh poo poo" moments of the first heavy floaters and thin man boss, and finally into "I will waltz into your UFO and murder everything without breaking a sweat until you give me that last goddamn etheral corpse".

Epochol making that string of low-percentage shots also feels like karma from the Great Scout Purge that happened early-mid game. Glad I survived! As soon as I saw that I'd rolled scout and been loaded up with a shotgun rather than a long-range weapon, I figured I was a goner... I think you hinted earlier that you might have had a way to get stats on our characters, like most high-% shots missed, most damage tanked, etc?

Also we're happy that you and your cat are doing better health-wise, please post pictures of commander cat.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Akratic Method posted:

God willing, the final blow that wins the game will be a MEC punch to the face of the High Ethereal. (Though probably more likely a sniper shot from waaaaaay downtown.)
This was oddly but also not really prophetic, given how the campaign had worked out.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Congratulations commander, that was awesome and I've loved being a part of it.

What were the final soldier stats like? Who had the highest kill count/mission count?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

KILL RANKINGS (excluding the final mission)
Gavin McIntire: 253
KW0134: 240
Epochol: 179
Taslin: 177
Smasher: 170

...then there's a huge drop-off down to 134 (Natalie)

MISSION RANKINGS
KW0134: 51
Gavin: 50
Adeline: 49
Megane: 49
Epochol: 47 (T)
Taslin: 47 (T)

So of the qualifying units, Gavin's got the highest kill count, as well as kills/mission.

Campaign MVP probably is one of either KW or Gavin, with Eating Only Apples as a symbolic "took care of all the EXALT stuff without dying to a grenade and causing a fatigue spiral as I deployed other units as covert ops" possibility.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Good LP, thanks!

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Congratulations Der Kozmissar, you've earned your sweater.

Whatever you decide to do next, you'll have an audience waiting to follow along.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A by the books final mission overwhelming the aliens with firepower, exactly how it should be. :rip: Taslin

Thanks for starting, playing, continuing, and finishing this - Long War is the kind of thing I'd never be able to do myself. Although now after seeing it all I think that the mission stuff isn't too bad, at least on Classic, but the amount of planning that has to go into the base and resource management would kill me.

Anywho it's been a great watch.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Congratulations Commander, that was quite a performance (even if it got a bit easy in the last third or so, or at least that's how you made it looked). I particularly appreciated how often you said "we might evac here", yet you still stayed in (and won) every mission in the campaign. Nice job getting through the massive false start, and the voice issues, and finishing this marathon.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dancer posted:

"we might evac here"

If anything should be the tagline for this LP, it's this

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, that's surprisingly close between KW and Gavin! And yeah, EOA's miraculous survival from basically singlehandedly taking down Exalt feels like it makes up for high-percentage misses ovr the course of the game.

Also :rip: to Wondershot, Obelus and the surprisingly few others who fell in the line of duty. May you be remembered by all the flood of newbies who got shipped to Xcom HQ at the end of the campaign. (Seriously, what;s up with that? Surely if you are needing that many recruits so late in the game, it would basically be unwinnable by that point?)

sincx posted:

the volunteer is not dead. if you slow down the ending cinematic, the volunteer disappears (teleports away?) a few frames before the ship blows up. according to the devs, that's intentional.

Well not really much of a spoiler for xcom2 but anyway isn't this not really important - he's most likely dead or nonexistent because the vast majority of xcom was a simulation?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 15, 2020

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also :rip: to Wondershot, Obelus and the surprisingly few others who fell in the line of duty. May you be remembered by all the flood of newbies who got shipped to Xcom HQ at the end of the campaign.

Pash, Xelk, Lost and Delusional, Max, ModernMajorGeneral, and of course our good friend Zhang. I can't think of anyone else but I'm probably missing someone (sorry). I think we lost another sniper at some point but it was mostly scouts and assaults if I'm remembering correctly

Was Cambrian the last death in the campaign? Excluding pretend base defense redshirts and, well, potentially Taslin.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 15, 2020

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Congrats FairGame on beating this most unfair game. You handled it with better grace and humour than I would have.

Of course, the top killers would obviously be a MEC and a sniper. This is XCOM.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That was the most perfect way to end the game.

And what a game it was. My best regards Fairgame, even if you never grace us again you've made a hell of a thing right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Congratulations!

Edit: I should have pasted over the various faces with various avatars of people that were ingame.