Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Sign me up too please; preferably a class that is more on the "bang bang kill aliens" side, as opposed to the "hunker down and keep causalities to a minimum" side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
One thing I'd like to commend you on is that you didn't fall into the trap that way too many people (including some big names) fall into, which is using carbines as your go-to rifle, especially early on.
For ballistics that +6 aim might seem nice, but you are losing a quarter of your damage over using the assault rifle. Doing the mathematics, an assault carbine will outperform a assault rifle when your chance to hit with a rifle is below 18%; for context a rookie will have an aim of 65 on average/strict screening, and full cover gives 45 defence; 65-45=20>18, as such a rookie shooting something in full cover, would be better off with the rifle.
Actually it is even worse than that, cover provides DR, for full cover it is 1 DR (half cover provides 0.66 or a 66% of 1 DR, 33% of 0) so you would need a rookie (or other class) with less than 57 aim (8 less than average with lowest possible being 50) firing only on targets in full cover for the assault carbine to make sense.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

FairGame posted:

The assault carbine is a terrible weapon.
Fun fact: the laser carbine is just as terrible, the higher damage means the -1 damage isn't quite as steep, so the breakpoint is 24%; however, because all laser weapons have +6 aim, when a laser rifle has a hit chance of 24% it would normally have a hit chance of 18%, so the only cases the laser carbine is better than the rifle is when assault carbine is better than assault rifle (basically never).
When you get to tier 3 the carbine is arguably less terrible, as the breakpoint becomes 30% (arguably 32%), which is still terrible but there might be times that you want to make make shots on people you want to train (I'd argue it still isn't worth it).
If we continue to the final tier we get to the lofty heights of... 42%... and that is assuming the target has no DR, which isn't all that common, many enemies have natural DR (mostly mechanical enemies) and/or can take cover; and every point of DR the enemy has, the breakpoint goes down by 6.
On the other hand there are a few ways to increase damage, so if the carbiner had everything going for them: an enemy afflicted with both acid and shredded, they have ranger and vital point targeting, and the all the damage items they can bring, they should, only just, reach the point where the breakpoint is about 94%, at that point some of the bonus aim gets wasted (back of the envelope calculations put the max at maybe 96% if you can also guarantee (or close enough) a crit). Which is a lot of work, requires a lot of equipment space (likely including consumables), and a third of the breakpoint comes from shredding.
A more reasonable number, assuming you are focusing on per hit damage, might be 50-60%, but YMMV.

TL;DR: Carbines are not generally worth using, save your resources, time, and ammo and just go with the regular rifles (or shotguns, or class specific weapons)

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I think Pistols fall into a similar realm as things like SHIVs and a bunch of the Medic's Perks on the right side; if you are using them something has gone badly wrong.
From there, there are two ways of thinking about them: they aren't worth it because you shouldn't be letting things go badly wrong; and: they are essential because they can get you out of a situation where you would otherwise be SOL.
And with LW you are constantly re-evaluating each of these "things have gone wrong" and deciding which side to fall on, and deciding how to approach them.
Though with Pistols there are more cases where they can come up, but in most cases there are other options (having someone else shoot for instance), or the loss from ignoring them is minimal.

From the way you play it seems that pistols are the last thing you tend to care about, considering you have made no Laser Pistols (of either kind) and I can't remember if you've even acknowledged the Machine Pistol (-1 mobility -8 aim for +1 damage, outperforms the regular Pistol almost always), as such ignoring the Pistol Foundry Projects is probably for the best; and considering one of the common uses for pistols being to weaken enemies into Arc Thrower range, they may even be detrimental.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I didn't mention it earlier but Vahlen's comment about how needlessly cruel the aliens are is really, really funny considering that Vahlen is basically a war criminal and does war crimes, like how her interrogations are literally just live autopsies.

e: also if vahlen isn't back in xcom 3 I will be very unhappy, i love her and her pure bliss at breaking every law known to man and god

I mean, as morally grey as Dr. Vahlen is, she still unquestionably has the moral high ground; as terrible as is to violate a sentient being's mind in every way possible until the subject expires, it isn't anywhere near as bad as, for example, the usage of biological weapons (Chrysalids) on civilian centres. I don't believe we ever learn what exactly the aliens do to the people they abduct, but my gut says that it is unlikely to be much better than a stay at Casa de Vahlen. Sometimes the best way to stop a great atrocity is to allow a lesser one to pass, and as Earth has no reason to believe the aliens do not have genocide on their mind...

In X-Com 2 she is a certainly less... sympathetic? But morals and ethics are luxuries, and when you are fighting for you life, worrying about not "crossing a line" is like worrying about keeping your fridge stocked with [booze of choice].