Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narmer
Dec 11, 2011
Problem description: I use my computer daily but am not particularly tech-savvy, I will try to explain as best I can. Some time ago my PC overheated and shut off automatically. After this when I restarted it, it would start in Safe Mode. I needed to use the computer for work and did not have time to clean it out so I just used it in Safe Mode as it was for a while. Eventually I thoroughly cleaned out the tower and got rid of the dust inside. I was able to get the computer to start normally at first. However for some reason unknown to me the computer will no longer exit safe mode under any circumstances. I am quite sure that my computer has accumulated a lot of junk and malware. I don't know if that is a factor but this problem started at the same time as the computer overheated so I would suspect it's related to that. I have no idea however why I was able to get it out of Safe Mode for a time but that eventually would no longer work.

Attempted fixes: Not tech-savvy so I just googled around for simple fixes to this issue. Below is what I tried.

-Opened the System Configuration utility and changed to options to make sure it should boot normally and not in Safe Mode. This was effective at first but no longer works. Now it will show that the system is set to boot normally, but nevertheless it still boots in Safe Mode.

-Pressed F8 when the computer is first booting up and selected the option to startup windows normally and not in Safe Mode. At first this seemed to work sometimes but not always, now it never works.

-Pressed F8 when the computer is first booting up and selected the option to Repair Windows. This never seemed to have any effect.

-Following along with instructions online I opened the Run box and entered the elevated command prompt "bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot". This seemingly had no effect.

-Ran a bajillion different antivirus scans, malware tools, etc. No effect.

Recent changes: This all started when my computer overheated. My computer has accumulated malware over time, started before the overheating issue but I think it has increased since then. Lots of weird folders with names that are strings of letters and numbers keep appearing and there are more than before. I am not able to delete them, when I try I get a message saying the I need permission from SYSTEM to make changes to these folders. The fixes to the safe mode issue used to work as I described above but no longer do. I have no idea what changed for that.

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs: This computer was put together for me by someone else some years ago and I believe they did their own custom thing. According to the system information on the computer it has a Intel Core i7 Cpu. 920 @ 2.67 GHz. 6.00 GB of RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Any help or advice anyone could provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU